TROS: RESURGENCE Workprint version a is released, runtime 2h 10m 24s, filesize 4.26 GB. PM me for link; by requesting a link you agree you own the HD version of The Rise of Skywalker, The Last Jedi, and The Force Awakens as this edit uses audio and/or video from all three films.
In summary, this edit features:
-Rey’s parents were nobody
-Rey killed her parents
-Complete restructure to move the Emperor reveal to later
-Ren is so tormented by visions of his father that he destroys Corellia, planet destruction moved to the beginning
-Finn is more serious and no longer flamboyantly sassy most of the time
-Jannah’s presence reduced so she is no longer a main character
-Made the Rey-TIE Fighter showdown more like the trailer
-Many other changes, see changelist below for full details
Rey vs Serpent (updated further, after Workprint): https://streamable.com/p6v4fd
Rey Forest Vision: https://streamable.com/a4qjms
They sold you to him: https://streamable.com/6042d7
You wanted your parents dead: https://streamable.com/lmidv9
I killed my mother: https://streamable.com/ot407g
Falcon Landing (updated after Workprint) https://streamable.com/wwx02y
Crawl (updated further, after Workprint):
The Resistance is silent. All who dared to speak the name Luke Skywalker have been slaughtered by the merciless KNIGHTS OF REN. Yet across the galaxy the spark of hope still burns.
General Leia Organa, sensing a sinister presence, dispatched many spies deep into the UNKNOWN REGIONS. But none were ever heard from again.
Meanwhile, Supreme Leader Kylo Ren ordered all stormtroopers to evacuate Han Solo’s home world of CORELLIA. Its population now ignites into open defiance of the First Order…
This product is a mostly polished and seamless edit but is designated a Workprint because of the following changes considered or in progress:
- Update edit crawl text to remove mention of Rey and no longer narrate things happening later in the film itself. Use blender to make the crawl and starfield look like it should.
- Add dialogue for the KoR throughout using suggestions from https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Knights-of-Ren-Overhaul-Ideas-for-Fixing-the-KoR-in-TROS/id/75011
- Subtitles for Boolio to remark that his son died to get the message to Leia. Should help viewers let go of TROS old storyline and now understand Boolio did not get decapitated.
- Audio transition after Rey-Lando scene on Pasaana needs to be tweaked.
- Remove new edit plotline “they sold you to him” in reference to Rey’s parents selling her off to Palpatine. Too convoluted.
- Incorporate jonh’s force ghosts into the final battle. Remix the audio of this scene.
- Move the chess scene to the ending Falcon moments.
- Add Yoda line about “knowledge and defense” to lightsaber burial scene to explain a new reason why she’s burying them.
- Remove Rey’s yellow lightsaber entirely.
- Add poppasketti’s/snooker’s Falcon departure to replace ending.
Changelist (scenes have been drastically reordered in the first act; changes are in relative order of edited chronology):
- New opening crawl to make the Knights of Ren the dangerous threat they are supposed to be, remove mention of Palpatine, and set up the destruction of Corellia.
- The original opening slo-mo music montage on Mustufar is moved to later.
- Ren’s Exegol field trip and the Emperor reveal are moved to later.
- First scene after the opening shot of the Tie fighters is now reforging Ren’s mask but with close-up shots of the monkey elf’s face removed, which reduces his chewing and grunting, and most importantly his face.
- Moved Ren’s flashback of Han Solo with Luke saying, “You killed him” to be during the mask reforging scene. This gives context as to Ren’s motivation in again hiding behind the mask.
- In the next scene, when Ren and his Knights walk down the hallway, cut the stormtrooper banter, narrating “the Knights of Ren…” Trimmed the stormtrooper reaction.
- Changed color of the decapitated alien head slapped down on the table to differentiate it from Boolio, who is still alive.
- During Ren’s “board meeting” with the First Order leaders, cut Ren’s line “…from what I’ve seen on Exegol…” In this edit he has not been to Exegol yet.
- Kept the force choke but cut the ceiling levitation of the guy asking (rather normal) questions.
- Cut Ren’s reference to hunting the scavenger, instead he ends his meeting with “Prepare to crush any worlds that defy us.”
- Right after the board meeting, the Star Destroyer arrives at Kijimi and lowers its super cannon. The planet is changed to Corellia. Added brief planet footage from the film, Solo, to slow the scene down.
- After Rey meditates with stones, cut her groaning and saying “they’re not with me”, and cut her walking like an ogre.
- Trimmed Leia just standing there watching Rey, so her clunky insertion now looks natural.
- While Rey runs the training course, Ren meditates with Vader’s helmet as Corellia is then destroyed; he no longer induces a co-vision with Rey.
- Recut Rey’s vision sequence which now includes a brief flash of Palpatine, Finn about to die, and Palpatine’s evil cackling. Used a few of the key visuals (force lightning) that OT faneditor Dom so cleverly first thought of for his edit. Changed the very quick shot of the fleeing ship to green to differentiate it from Ochi’s ship.
- Poe, Finn, and Chewy’s scene where they play the game on the Falcon is moved to just after Rey returns the lightsaber and says “Yes, Master” to Leia.
- Cut Poe turning off the game.
- Cut Klaud (the weird alien tree monster) from the Falcon and from existence.
- Trimmed much of Boolio so we see and hear just a little from him.
- Cut sassy-pants Finn as he’s bumped around in the Falcon’s gunner seat.
- Cut Finn’s sassy-pants agreement about “bouldering” the Tie fighters.
- Cut Finn’s line to Poe in the Falcon, “Get us back to base” and cut his glance over just before he says it.
- During the lightspeed skipping, cut Finn’s loud reaction and replaced his loud lines, “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” And “HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW TO DO THAT?” He’s now calmer and maybe more in tune with the force.
- Since Klaud doesn’t exist anymore he doesn’t scream during the final lightspeed skip.
- Cut Poe’s line before the final lightspeed skip, “hold on.” Klaud was screaming over him. Sorry Poe.
- Moved Rey reading Luke’s notes on the jungle moon of Ajan Kloss and the Falcon arriving there to just after Poe’s last lightspeed skip.
- Cut Rey greeting Finn and Rey’s extended argument with Poe over lightspeed skipping in order to remove Finn’s sassy-pants line “always” referring to Poe being in a bad mood as well as Finn’s eye rolls, huffing, and acting like a sassy mother hen.
- Cut Finn’s useless line, “It’s true” to Rey after Poe storms off.
- Trimmed and completely rearranged the Resistance briefing scene to remove Poe and others’ references to Palpatine. Exegol is still described by C3PO as a Sith world and this is what scares/surprises everyone. Moved the line “secrets only the Sith knew” to be spoken as Rey is picking up her handy book the Dummies Guide to Finding Wayfinders. Baby Ackbar is cut from this scene completely!
- Cut Rey’s line to Leia “find the Emperor.” Now Leia is just saying no to an Exegol visit.
- The Falcon’s flight from the jungle moon to Pasaana is now one continuous sequence.
- Trimmed the amount of time everyone stares at C3PO after his lines about festival kites, and cut C3PO turning around. Now the humor has proper timing instead of becoming a bad, drawn out bit.
- Cut Finn’s useless line, “I’ve never seen so few Wayfinders” to try and show Finn as more wise than wisecracking.
- Cut the close-up of the laughing baby puppet on Pasaana.
- During the first Rey-Ren force conversation, cut references to Palpatine, and cut Ren’s line about turning Rey to the dark side. He just says he’ll find her and she’ll take his hand. It will be like a first Sith date.
- Cut the slapstick scream and head shake of the stormtrooper shot by Lando’s arrow.
- Cut C3PO introducing Lando and Rey saying “we know who he is…”
- During his conversation with Rey, cut Lando’s inappropriate little chuckle.
- Cut Rey’s ending conversation with creepy uncle Lando (we need pilots, give Leia my love, give it to her yourself); also cut him peering out the window a second time.
- Cut Finn’s prolonged glancing at the rope before he throws it at the Stormtrooper speeder bike. This was overly showing us “hey look Finn’s getting an idea.”
- Cut the Stormtrooper’s blown up speeder landing on the ground in a fireball because this was repurposed for a part of Rey’s vision.
- Rey does not recognize Ochi’s ship.
- Trimmed Rey and the gang flying through the air after their speeders are blown up so it looks less like they should have been badly injured by the fall.
- As Finn is sinking into the sand, cut his line about telling Rey something.
- Cut the mediocre sketch comedy when Leia tells the Resistance guy to be more optimistic. Now he just says “the Falcon’s not responding” and that’s it.
- Cut one of Rey’s obscenely feral grunts as she falls from the roof of the sand trap cave. Sounded like a voiceover by an ape.
- Reduced the slaptick sound effect when Poe turns on his flashlight after Rey tries to use her lightsaber as a flashlight.
- Cut Rey and Finn’s conversation about the secret he had to tell her.
- Rey does not heal the serpent, instead it senses her powerful dark side and leaves. To accomplish this: Cut all footage of the serpent’s wound. Made Rey vision shots using Exegol scenes, including the Sith throne. The vision ends with Sith Rey hissing. Added Lukes line, “You went straight to the dark.” Cut Finn nudging Poe, and cut Rey timidly looking at the serpent after her vision, as well as her smiling as the serpent leaves. As it slithers away, a short electrical shock sounds as Rey withdraws her hand from the serpent. This foreshadows the upcoming scene where that same hand shoots force lightning. Closing music is changed to a more ominous track.
- Cut Rey Jedisplaining to BB-8 about healing snakes.
- Incorporated better shots from the Rise of Skywalker trailer into the desert showdown scene between Rey on foot and Ren in the Tie Fighter. The main change is Rey not igniting the lightsaber so soon and seeing the Tie Fighter come into focus as she hold’s the hilt.
- Cut the first shot of Ren’s face (masked) in the Tie Fighter as he speeds toward Rey to be more like the (better) trailer.
- Trimmed Rey in the awkward runner’s pose waiting for Ren.
- Replaced the shot of Rey in an awkward superhero pose as Ren’s Tie Fighter crashes.
- Cut Palpatine’s line in the force conversation with Ren, “Kill the girl”, and cut Ren’s line saying he knows where she’s going. Ren then leaves to get the Wayfinder and goes to Exegol right after Palpatine threatens to turn the fleet against him.
- Cut several of Palpatine’s lines on Exegol which indicated too much that it was the first time he was speaking/meeting with Ren.
- When Ren threatens Palpatine with the lightsaber, Palpatine calmly responds “the Final Order will soon be ready.”
- Moved Palpatine’s line about Ren becoming the new Emperor earlier to when the fleet is revealed.
- Cut Palpatine and Ren’s dialogue about Rey not being what she seems.
- The Falcon towing scene now follows the Exegol scene but the “Chewy is still alive” reveal is moved to later.
- On Ochi’s ship cut Rey and Finn’s dialogue about Rey recognizing the ship.
- Cut the sound flashbacks when Rey picks up the dagger in Ren’s chambers. Hint: In this edit Ochi didn’t kill her parents, someone else did.
- During Rey’s force conversation with Ren while she is on the Star Destroyer, removed references to her parents being good. Ren says, “They sold you, Rey. I know what happened to them.” He tells her Palpatine was looking for her and that her parents sold her to him.
- Cut Poe asking Finn about his secret as they are about to be executed by Stormtroopers.
- In the confrontation between Rey and Ren on the Star Destroyer, added new dialogue indicating that Rey wanted her parents dead and she took down their ship (flashback with force lightning sound).
- Rey doesn’t tell Finn that Palpatine had her parents killed. She says “I killed my mother. And my father” and that she’s going to destroy Palpatine.
- Trimmed Jannah’s slumber party backstory with Finn while keeping Finn’s good monologue about the Force.
- Slightly trimmed the end of the Rey-Ren fight inside the Death Star so Ren brings up his saber faster, there’s less twirling around and it cuts before she jumps down after him.
- Cut Maz narrating Leia going to take a nap.
- After Rey does her backflip fighting Ren on the high seas, cut her searching for an approaching Ren with the furrowed brow of an actor staring only at a green screen.
- Cut Maz’s goodbye princess voiceover as the Resistance first mourn Leia’s death.
- Cut some of Palpatine’s lines to Pryde specifically about making a planet burn. That planet destruction scene was used near the beginning of this edit, as ordered by Ren.
- Cut the Resistance discussing the destruction of Kijimi and planet killer weapons.
- Cut Lando’s pep talk to Finn.
- Luke doesn’t ask Rey, “what are you doing” like a prick.
- Added extra night establishing shot after Rey’s return to Ach-to to show more time passing.
- Recolored the scenes on Ach-to so they begin at dusk.
- In Rey’s conversation with Luke, cut Luke’s mention of Rey being a Palpatine.
- Cut Rey’s line, “two were made” when she retrieves the Wayfinder from Ren’s ship.
- Before Rey is finished on Ach-to, cut to the scene of Finn with the little cone face droid to show more time passing on Ach-to and to also show Rey sensing Finn.
- Added a sunrise establishing shot of Ach-to with Rey sleeping. Rey now leaves Ach-to in the morning when Luke raises the X-Wing out of the water.
- Cut the hobbit guy giving Chewy a mini pep talk as the Resistance preps for the Exegol invasion. Now Chewy, in mourning over Leia, just gets up slowly on his own.
- During the final Resistance briefing for invading Exegol, cut the sleepy guy’s question about “ground team”, and Poe no longer goes all sassy-pants about the amazingness of the ground team (which is actually not so amazing).
- Replaced the sleepy guy shot with an alien who was at least awake for the briefing.
- Cut the hobbit guy talking about Holdo maneuvers.
- Cut Klaud from the final briefing. There is a brief shot where you see his fins behind Poe while he’s talking but you don’t ever see Klaud’s face.
- The final briefing ends with Poe speaking, cutting Finn’s lackluster line about taking the war to them.
- On the way to Exegol, cut Finn all cozy in the cockpit with Jannah asking her if she’s ready. Get a room.
- Cut Finn telling Jannah he has a feeling. So do we, this scene sucks.
- No immediate close ups of Finn and Jannah riding the Endor-horses on the Star Destroyer, just a long shot of the cavalry.
- Cut Finn telling BB-8 he’s doing a great job during the final battle. The droid was rolling. He’s a ball.
- At their first meeting, cut Palpatine calling Rey his granddaughter and all the nonsense about her royal blood.
- Trimmed some of Finn and Jannah acting like wannabe commandos as BB-8 is opening the Star Destroyer hatches.
- Cut the lines between Finn and Jannah about Finn having to go do something just so she can say “I’m staying with you.”
- Cut Palpatine’s line, “All the Jedi are dead!” Its delivery was pretty lame and out of place with the line before it.
- Cut Finn’s lines, “Lando you did it. YOU DIIIIID IT!!!”
- Palpatine doesn’t explain the literary theme behind throwing Ben down a chasm. He just throws him.
- When throwing some force lightning at Rey, Palpatine no longer makes the same exact dramatic pause he did before he zapped the fleet. Used new music for the final epic Rey vs Palpatine battle.
- Palpatine just says Rey is nothing. Cut the line about a scavenger being no match for yada yada yada.
- Added jonh’s force ghosts. So now it makes even more sense that Rey doesn’t say “And I… I’m all the Jedi.”
- Trimmed Palpatine’s scared reactions and some of the first shot of getting his face fried.
- Trimmed Finn and Jannah running on top of Falcon mid-flight so they don’t ridiculously pause to sightsee the destruction around them.
- Ben lives.
- Cut Finn’s line about everyone in the galaxy rising. Too little too late Finn.
- Poe doesn’t get shot down by his former love interest, instead the possibility of romance is left open.
- Cut the hobbit guy’s big fake happy face to Finn.
- Cut the hobbit guy hugging Klaud. Creepiest. Hug. Ever.
- Cut creepy uncle Lando flirting with his possible daughter, Jannah. Creepiest. Uncle/Dad. Ever.
- Cut the weird 1960’s hippie Luke and Leia force ghosts that look like they walked off a mural on an old Volkswagen bus. Now Rey glances over to the twin suns before saying “Rey Skywalker.” Changed some of the music to Rey’s theme intertwined with Luke’s theme from the end credits of TFA( music suggested by OT user Knight of Kalee).