Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant — Page 79

Author
Time
 (Edited)

idir_hh said:

I’m kinda warming up to the silent ending (hats off to Chase Adams), it really does feel appropriate.

😊

Edit:
Hal, what are your thoughts on this:

jonh said:

luke learning how to interfere
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dq0XbFionsRJbU164SvFESR9YAYDSjAQ

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

Chase Adams said:

Edit:
Hal, what are your thoughts on this:

jonh said:

luke learning how to interfere
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dq0XbFionsRJbU164SvFESR9YAYDSjAQ

To be honest, I don’t get it. What am I looking at? Luke in a ghost realm? I wouldn’t want to see that. He can phase in and out of existence as needed, I don’t like the existential implications of existing like that 24/7 forever.

Initiating self-destruct countdown…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think it’s meant to be “The World Between Worlds” from star wars rebels.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

That was my thought.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time

Oooooh. Is that where dead Jedi go?

I dunno, I don’t think it’d have a place in an actual edit for me.

Initiating self-destruct countdown…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s a dimension of the force that connects to every place and time, is likely part of the “netherworld of the force” Yoda mentions in RotS, and allows for time travel and the like. It is unconfirmed that the Jedi ghosts go there, but they probably spend time there.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Please Read, Important!

Now that we have learned that snooker is no longer able to assist with Hal, or anybody else’s edits, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify what exactly it is that Hal still needs doing in terms of VFX and audio. I’ve had trouble figuring out exactly what it is since his checklist doesn’t seem to be caught up on recent updates.

  1. Mustafar establishing shot. (Probably taken from Rogue One with shuttle digitally removed)
  2. The falcon exiting hyperspace at the giant iceberg. (Needed if we are to remove the chess scene)
  3. Doesn’t look like Naboo is happening in this film so probably wouldn’t look any further into the Gungan statues.
  4. Establishing shot of Coruscant from space during the conference room scene.
  5. Possibly the squeaky wheel scene, but I noticed in Hal’s clip that BB-8 still had puppetry equipment on him so it might be difficult.
  6. Possibly some line from 3PO when his mind is restored to hint at his prequel memories.
  7. Civilian fleet lines from all of you guys.
  8. Star Destroyer crashing over Coruscant to replace the Ewok shot.
  9. Finalised form of the chess scene.
  10. Ben Solo’s force ghost.
  11. Unsure if Hal is going with the “Just Rey” line.
  12. Falcon leaving Tatooine.

Bonus!

This isn’t on Hal’s list, but I strongly recommend using Bobson Dugnutt’s version of force ghost Luke on Ach’To when it is finished as it drastically reduces the level of blueness and makes it more in line with the OT ghosts.

Is there anything else to add to the list Hal? 🤔

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

Chase Adams said:

Please Read, Important!

Now that we have learned that snooker is no longer able to assist with Hal, or anybody else’s edits, I thought it might be a good idea to clarify what exactly it is that Hal still needs doing in terms of VFX and audio. I’ve had trouble figuring out exactly what it is since his checklist doesn’t seem to be caught up on recent updates.

  1. Mustafar establishing shot. (Probably taken from Rogue One with shuttle digitally removed)
  2. The falcon exiting hyperspace at the giant iceberg. (Needed if we are to remove the chess scene)
  3. Doesn’t look like Naboo is happening in this film so probably wouldn’t look any further into the Gungan statues.
  4. Establishing shot of Coruscant from space during the conference room scene.
  5. Possibly the squeaky wheel scene, but I noticed in Hal’s clip that BB-8 still had puppetry equipment on him so it might be difficult.
  6. Possibly some line from 3PO when his mind is restored to hint at his prequel memories.
  7. Civilian fleet lines from all of you guys.
  8. Star Destroyer crashing over Coruscant to replace the Ewok shot.
  9. Finalised form of the chess scene.
  10. Ben Solo’s force ghost.
  11. Unsure if Hal is going with the “Just Rey” line.
  12. Falcon leaving Tatooine.

Bonus!

This isn’t on Hal’s list, but I strongly recommend using Bobson Dugnutt’s version of force ghost Luke on Ach’To when it is finished as it drastically reduces the level of blueness and makes it more in line with the OT ghosts.

Is there anything else to add to the list Hal? 🤔

Is anyone going to repurpose the Ewok shot and move it to be an establishing shot on Kef Bir to imply it is the forest moon of Endor from ROTJ since the Coruscant shot at the end will replace it?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Darth Sadifous said:

Is anyone going to repurpose the Ewok shot and move it to be an establishing shot on Kef Bir to imply it is the forest moon of Endor from ROTJ since the Coruscant shot at the end will replace it?

Yes, that is exactly what snooker and Hal have already done. Hence the reason we need to replace it.

Also, I should probably mention that you might not want to quote my entire post, it creates a lot of unnecessary clutter in this pretty thread… 😉

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

Here’s an idea for some clever VFXer out there (this is an idea I saw elsewhere I should say)…

In this scene, we see kids watching a puppet show

I couldn’t find a pic, but there’s a short cutaway where we see one puppet throw a stone into a bin of fire or something. But why not depict Luke on Crait, like the end of TLJ? Something to chew on.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yes, I think that list is correct, Chase. A mental sweep, severely underpowered as it may be right now, doesn’t remind me of anything else outstanding. Thanks for compiling those.

To be clear: the squeaky wheel scene has finished audio, but would need video cleanup and puppetry removal to be usable. Keeping this sequence isn’t super important, but it’d be nice to slow the hell down for a second or two.

If the chess scene is moved, any FX shots to remove Klaud from the opening would be welcome. But, he can stay if needed. He’ll just be some weirdo in the doorway and get to appear in the end celebration.

And yes, Kef Bir has been made into Endor already, so the Star Destroyer over Endor would need to be made into Coruscant (or at least something else).

I probably will stick with “Rey Skywalker,” but I love idir_hh’s recent alternate version of it. The sky would just need to be made to match the film footage.

And yes, please send me more civilian fleet audio! Just record anything to serve as a ship check-in like “This is the Stale Poptart, reporting in” or “Purple Monkey Dishwasher standing by.” Record any sort of comm chatter or battle cries you like, and a delivery of “For Skywalker!” Best part is that, since it’s all going to be over comm, it’s okay if the audio quality is absolute shit!

Initiating self-destruct countdown…

Author
Time

Regarding the comms, people should be careful to say various things. Personally I feel like you probably couldn’t get away with more than a couple instances of the actually phrase “For Skywalker.” Might also be worth getting in check with the guy on twitter who did an edit with a bunch of different voices.

Author
Time

I have! He’s supposed to be sending me the clip, and was happy to, but I might need to follow up by now.

The shot of Wedge splits up the two shots I’m planning to use for the battle cries, so I’m planning to select one instance of “For Skywalker” during the first shot, maybe mixed with other phrases people may send, then the second shot will have the rest. Some will be more prominent than others in the mix. They’ll all be in the center channel, but I hope to include everyone who send me something, even if it’s hardly audible.

And to sneak in “I’m naked! Heehawhahaww” from Thumb Wars.

Initiating self-destruct countdown…

Author
Time

Of course you’ve got it all covered, why didn’t I even worry.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Yes, I think that list is correct, Chase. A mental sweep, severely underpowered as it may be right now, doesn’t remind me of anything else outstanding. Thanks for compiling those.

You’re welcome! Thanks for replying so soon. 😃

If the chess scene is moved, any FX shots to remove Klaud from the opening would be welcome. But, he can stay if needed. He’ll just be some weirdo in the doorway and get to appear in the end celebration.

Regarding this scene, I love what snooker did in terms of moving the chess to the end, but I still believe the best way to fix the opening scene with Poe and the gang is to cut from Palpy to the falcon in hyperspace, then delete all the middle stuff and go straight to arriving at the iceburg, then the first time we see Poe is in the cockpit with Chewie.

Edit:

Here’s what I’m talking about, please watch!

DominicCobb said:

Here’s an idea for some clever VFXer out there (this is an idea I saw elsewhere I should say)…

I couldn’t find a pic, but there’s a short cutaway where we see one puppet throw a stone into a bin of fire or something. But why not depict Luke on Crait, like the end of TLJ? Something to chew on.

That’s actually a great idea DominicCobb! I’d love to see someone who could do that, seems like a huge missed opportunity!

Edit again:

Couldn’t help myself! 😂

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

I have! He’s supposed to be sending me the clip, and was happy to, but I might need to follow up by now.

I can PM you the Twitter guy’s edit if you want. Most of it is trash, but the added “all wings report in” dialogue is great.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Following up from my checklist post, I believe some of these tasks have already been undertaken by some talented individuals… Off the top of my head, Poppasketti is doing the Falcon end shot (which is coming along nicely, I might add!) and Jonh is tackling Ben’s ghosts. I have been thinking about implementing the Radio Drama lines I posted a while ago into a more finalised version of snooker’s terrific chess scene, but we’ll have to wait to see if Hal has made any more progress with it already.

This still leaves only a few more extra tricky shots to be completed. I think some of the more difficult ones would be the 2 Coruscant shots which snooker had originally undertaken, in her absence we’ll need some brave volunteers to tackle them! 😃

I think I remember Idir wanted to do something along the lines of some new Coruscant shots?

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

Hal, for the end are you thinking of using Idir’s “Rey Skywalker” with or without music?

Also, I was thinking about the scene where Rey hears the voices of Jedi past, and I was thinking that if it works with the audio, that cutting Ahsoka’s line would be a good idea.

Don’t get me wrong, she’s my favorite SW character and I love Ashley’s voice for her, but her presence in that scene was confusing for fans.

Because all of the other Jedi Rey hears are dead, people of course wondered if Ahsoka was too, prompting Dave Filoni to say that she was fine. Which makes it weird that she’s in the scene.

Secondly, she’s getting ready to make a live action appearance played by a different actor, which imo compounds the weirdness of her TRoS appearance.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time

Delpheas said:

Hal, for the end are you thinking of using Idir’s “Rey Skywalker” with or without music?

Whilst I never did like the line, I have to admit that Idir did do a pretty damn good job at working the alternate take into the music-absent sound mix I had created. The two new elements combined work quite nicely together! 😃

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

Okay so I’m pretty new at this After Effects thing but I edited a scene for Mustafar from Rogue One. The very beginning of the scene still has a portion from where I removed the ship, but I didn’t know how much to cut (some editors like to play around with footage or maybe it could be taken away with a wipe or something). It’s only a couple of seconds but maybe it could be useful.

https://vimeo.com/418346382
password: Ascendant

This was really just a rough draft to see if I could do it, it seems kind of low quality so I might have to look into trying to find a way to clean it up a little before somebody actually uses it.

Clips - for Editors folder -https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mfEISVdMldOKuSNjcjYO2QSggvqI_7-Y

Author
Time

I’m kind of disappointed in nobody here picking up the Ajan Kloss = Naboo torch. To me, it’d be an excellent way for the series to go “full circle.”

Author
Time

kewlfish said:

Okay so I’m pretty new at this After Effects thing but I edited a scene for Mustafar from Rogue One. The very beginning of the scene still has a portion from where I removed the ship, but I didn’t know how much to cut (some editors like to play around with footage or maybe it could be taken away with a wipe or something). It’s only a couple of seconds but maybe it could be useful.

That’s quite a good start! I’m glad someone was willing to help out! Keep at it and soon it will be perfect! Hopefully there are more people like you who want to experiment with some things on this list? 😃

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time

poppasketti said:

Here’s a hybrid of versions A and B of the Falcon end shot!

Falcon Shot - Option E
pw: fanedit

I’m glad there was support around Option A, and I can make that available along with any other versions people want, but I think I agree with DominicCobb and others’ feedback that the Falcon was a bit small and receded too quickly. So for this version, I made the Falcon bigger, recede slower, and matched as best I could snooker’s motion in the back half of Option B. I also increased the length of the lightspeed streak so its more prominent.

This is better over all. One thing I prefer in A though is the way it almost faces the suns when taking to Hyperspace.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…