Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant (WIP) — Page 8

Author
Time

Makes sense; it swaps the faces but it doesn’t necessarily have a deep understanding.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

What is that, part of that new ride?

I won’t, but I could easily retitle this edit “Revenge of the Sith” or “The Phantom Menace.”

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

yes, is sad that important plot points or explanations have to be watched in theme parks or video game events.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

What is that, part of that new ride?

I won’t, but I could easily retitle this edit “Revenge of the Sith” or “The Phantom Menace.”

Yeah, and we all know that that may not work out well.

Noah Lawson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal9000 a question, what is your process for planning the changes of this movie?

Are you basing them on your memory of the film or are you rewatching it camrip to warm up (maybe do draft edits) and get an idea about what changes would work when you buy the blu ray the day of it’s release?

Author
Time

Memory from two viewings, wookiepedia plot summary, and details people remind me of as we go.

Regardless, it is inevitable that there be several ideas generated by the community the day it would even be possible to begin editing. And my life is impossibly cramped for any time to break away to be able to sit at my computer with any real focus, so this project might be start-and-go, maximizing go-time by planning out what to try other times. (Lots of phone time, little computer time.)

It’ll happen, but I won’t have as much time as I’d like to get it done. Partly because of this, I’m hoping it’ll have a nice gestation period and maybe multiple workprints before releasing, to avoid having to do a version 2. And if it’s a good, somewhat conservative edit, others can always take it and run further.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

darkshadowspike said:

yes, is sad that important plot points or explanations have to be watched in theme parks or video game events.

There’s nothing important about what he says in the ride. Ever since TFA, whenever there’s a new movie they grab some of the cast to film original inserts to add new segments to Star Tours.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

@Hal 9000 Here is a suggestion: can you re-edit the scene between Han and Kylo on the Death Star wreckage so people can tell that Han is obviously a hallucination and not actually alive?

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

I don’t have a problem with it at all. Force ghosts look bluish, glowy, and translucent. Han looks like how Ben remembers him. The scene plays out without some sort of distracting visual cue. I don’t know what one could even do that wouldn’t be inferred by some that he is a literal ghost.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

I don’t have a problem with it at all. Force ghosts look bluish, glowy, and translucent. Han looks like how Ben remembers him. The scene plays out without some sort of distracting visual cue. I don’t know what one could even do that wouldn’t be inferred by some that he is a literal ghost.

I’m not saying Han should look like a ghost; I’m referring to the shots being edited so it could look like Kylo is having a hallucination rather than actually seeing Han in person.

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

If you were to go that route, you could do something like Neverar did and have some kind of filter on the scene to have a “dream-like” feel to it. It does not have to be super strong, something subtle could be done maybe?

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

@Hal 9000 Here is a suggestion: can you re-edit the scene between Han and Kylo on the Death Star wreckage so people can tell that Han is obviously a hallucination and not actually alive?

The movie already treats the audience like children, this would make it worse.

Han is dead, is not blue like a force ghost, is obvious that is all in kylo’s head.

Besides that here are more ideas for the edit:

-If there some way it would be nice to frame the Ahch-To scene as the third lesson that luke promised.

-Remove the scene of Palpatine threatening Kylo for not finding rey, Kylo/Palpatine is an alliance relationship not a master-apprentice one, the point of kylo killing snoke and becoming the supreme leader was to move past that.

Author
Time

OK, so you are suggesting altering the entire frame rather than just Han himself?

It seems like, the presence of Han aside, he really is in that place. A fly on the wall would still see Ben saying those things and making those motions.

Regardless, I don’t imagine such a thing being an improvement. I like it the way it is without some sort of effect applied.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

That’s a completely fair point. It was thinking based on what Freezing was coming up with. It’s fine how it is, though the idea earlier about having that scene occur BEFORE the stabbing could be interesting … like a true reason why Leia died using the force since simple communication between Jedi/force users/etc. seems to take like no power at all but this time it killed her.

All in all, meh.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

OK, so you are suggesting altering the entire frame rather than just Han himself?

It seems like, the presence of Han aside, he really is in that place. A fly on the wall would still see Ben saying those things and making those motions.

Regardless, I don’t imagine such a thing being an improvement. I like it the way it is without some sort of effect applied.

jarbear said:

If you were to go that route, you could do something like Neverar did and have some kind of filter on the scene to have a “dream-like” feel to it. It does not have to be super strong, something subtle could be done maybe?

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

Can’t remember if this has been mentioned yet, but I’d like to see the “Rey Skywalker” line removed from the final scene of the film.

Literally leave everything else, but cut to the next shot before she says “Rey Skywalker”. I think her formally taking the Skywalker name is silly and that having her only look at Leia and Luke’s force ghosts provides the opportunity for people to choose for themselves what Rey decides to tell the old woman, be it Rey Skywalker, Palpatine, or “just Rey.” It’s also a little less on the nose and provides some ambiguity but in a sophisticated way (at least from my perspective).

Thoughts?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

FreezingTNT2 said:

Hal 9000 said:

OK, so you are suggesting altering the entire frame rather than just Han himself?

It seems like, the presence of Han aside, he really is in that place. A fly on the wall would still see Ben saying those things and making those motions.

Regardless, I don’t imagine such a thing being an improvement. I like it the way it is without some sort of effect applied.

jarbear said:

If you were to go that route, you could do something like Neverar did and have some kind of filter on the scene to have a “dream-like” feel to it. It does not have to be super strong, something subtle could be done maybe?

That’s what I get for trying to check in on this thread from my phone when I had a minute to spare during the day. Didn’t see it.

I think that final scene need to remain as is, dubious though it may be. I think it’d have been a more powerful moment if they’d stuck with Rey Nobody.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Considering that the cover art for your edits of VII and VIII had Kylo Ren and Luke, will Palpatine be on the cover of this edit?

Noah Lawson

Author
Time

I was thinking Rey would be most appropriate.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

I was thinking Rey would be most appropriate.

Yeah, now thinking about it along with the film’s title, you’re probably right.

Noah Lawson

Author
Time

I have a few suggestions, sorry if others have already mentioned them.

  • Reduce Lando’s excessive laugh at the final battle
  • Remove Finn’s line “You did it Lando! You did it!”
  • Change super happy music when the thousands of ships arrive. It should be more inspirational and maybe triumphant. (not sure if that’s the word I am after)
  • Remove Chewie getting the medal (this was only inserted as fan service, Chewie would probably have forgotten about this and they could easily add him getting a medal in A New Hope like Adywan did).
  • Reduce the clip of Palpatine burning from the deflected force lightning (doesn’t suit a SW movie IMO)
  • consider adding “Across the Stars” to when Kylo and Rey kiss
  • slow down ben falling back after the kiss so it looks like Rey is helping him

I have so many but I’m thinking of doing an edit of this one day myself. Can’t give you all of my secrets. 😛

Author
Time

darksteel1335 said:

  • Change super happy music when the thousands of ships arrive. It should be more inspirational and maybe triumphant. (not sure if that’s the word I am after)

I agree with this. Definitely don’t want to take anything away from John Williams, but the music during this moment was a little cheesy for me. It was triumphant like they had already won. I would have preferred something like “The Jedi Steps” theme from the TLJ trailer here, which is exciting but also measured (since there was much left to accomplish at that point in the film).