Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant (WIP) — Page 217

Author
Time

Ed Slushie said:

Frame interpolation? Frame interpolation?

We went over this already, it won’t work. It just looks obviously slowed down, rather than helping with the pacing.

Author
Time

StarkillerAG said:

Ed Slushie said:

Frame interpolation? Frame interpolation?

We went over this already, it won’t work. It just looks obviously slowed down, rather than helping with the pacing.

Yeah… You could possibly repeat shots, but that would still be a bit of a stretch…

Author
Time

Yeah that’s going to be the only issue with the Resistance scene is finding a way to use the audio before Poe’s lines… or atleast that was my issue a couple weeks ago when I tried it out. Although I am not the best with audio so, others may be way more successful than I was.

Clips - for Editors folder -https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mfEISVdMldOKuSNjcjYO2QSggvqI_7-Y

Author
Time

Eh, we just start the scene with the Palpatine message already playing, concluding right before Rose asks, “Do we believe this?” The audience doesn’t need to be told it’s Palpatine; we met him already.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Scene could work like this:

Rey: what’s the message?

Scene starts with Palpatine clip playing as the resistance listens to it, show reactions:
[All gasp, murmuring]
ROSE: Wait. Do we believe this?
AFTAB: It cannot be. The Emperor’s dead.
BEAUMONT: Dark silence. Cloning. Secrets only the Sith knew.
[referring to Palpatine]
POE: He’s been planning his revenge. His followers have been building something for years. The largest fleet the galaxy has ever known. He calls it the Final Order.
[Chewie groans]
POE: The Emperor and his fleet have been hiding in the Unknown Regions. On a world called Exegol.

Removes the 16 hour time clock and utilized the Palpatine clip while removing Poe’s “somehow Palpatine returned” line.

Author
Time

Right. It’d be good to retain a name drop of Palpatine in some way, as that’s a very filmmaking thing to do. He hasn’t been referred to as Palpatine outside of the prequels. Even so, his name is used in ways one can easily infer who he is several times before it becomes essential to understand who the name refers to.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

natm said:

POE: He’s been planning his revenge. His followers have been building something for years. The largest fleet the galaxy has ever known. He calls it the Final Order.
[Chewie groans]

Me too, Chewie. Me too.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Right. It’d be good to retain a name drop of Palpatine in some way, as that’s a very filmmaking thing to do. He hasn’t been referred to as Palpatine outside of the prequels. Even so, his name is used in ways one can easily infer who he is several times before it becomes essential to understand who the name refers to.

Perhaps Poe could say “Palpatine’s planning his revenge” during the briefing. He isn’t onscreen when he says the original phrase IIRC.

Author
Time

Cinefy said:

Resistance base extended scene - Alternate Palpatine message idea

Concept: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGYEq59QZzc

Super rough.

Ooohh, that’s an interesting idea. Two thoughts for the moment: Rose’s line, “It’s on every frequency” would need to go, which should be easy since her back is turned. Also, this renders Merry’s line about “dark science, cloning…” weird since he sounds surprised in that moment. He could either be cut off after the word ‘cloning,’ or remove the line.

Or have that short little scene, then they play the message for everyone and go from there.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don’t think it’s necessary to show them “decoding” the message since it doesn’t really add anything to the next scene, on the contrary it kinda drags it out unnecessarily. I think the original idea just flows better from an editing perspective, what’s the message? Answer: You hear the message. It just feels more dramatic to hear Palpatine’s leaked discussion along with the rest of the resistance for the first time.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

idir_hh said:

I don’t think it’s necessary to show them “decoding” the message since it doesn’t really add anything to the next scene, on the contrary it kinda drags it out unnecessarily. I think the original idea just flows better from an editing perspective, what’s the message? Answer: You hear the message. It just feels more dramatic to hear Palpatine’s leaked discussion along with the rest of the resistance for the first time.

I only extended it out, because I felt like it really distracted over the conference/meeting scene.

Author
Time

I don’t think that line needs to be cut - it makes sense as a reaction. Honestly, a lot of people when they first heard Palpatine was going to be in this movie reacted the same way, even though he’s right there laughing in the trailer.

“Wait, do we believe this” fits perfectly.

Author
Time

Broom Kid said:

I don’t think that line needs to be cut - it makes sense as a reaction. Honestly, a lot of people when they first heard Palpatine was going to be in this movie reacted the same way, even though he’s right there laughing in the trailer.

“Wait, do we believe this” fits perfectly.

I’d argue that she should repeat that line every five minutes until the credits.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Cinefy said:

Palpatine Message V2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI4vmoK8VvA&feature=youtu.be

-Removed Roses frequency line
-added backround resistance sounds
-Removed Poe’s bandage

While it’s a nice mockup, I don’t think it solves the main issue with the scene, namely, “somehow papa-memes returned”. After all, the reason why the Fortnite thing is even being considered is to finesse around that whole ordeal.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

idir_hh said:

Cinefy said:

Palpatine Message V2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI4vmoK8VvA&feature=youtu.be

-Removed Roses frequency line
-added backround resistance sounds
-Removed Poe’s bandage

While it’s a nice mockup, I don’t think it solves the main issue with the scene, namely, “somehow papa-memes returned”. After all, the reason why the Fortnite thing is even being considered is to finesse around that whole ordeal.

I have another idea for that, probably will get shut down immediately

Heres the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8BajiS5ZI0

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Eh, we just start the scene with the Palpatine message already playing, concluding right before Rose asks, “Do we believe this?” The audience doesn’t need to be told it’s Palpatine; we met him already.

It feels like people are getting all hooked up on the resistance not hearing something or having something played for them? Palps has been revealed to the audience, does their need to be some like … more confirmation of that? The resistance is already surprised by this and can’t believe it based on the intel they have … so what’s the issue? I’m trying to follow this rational but don’t quite get it.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

jarbear said:

Hal 9000 said:

Eh, we just start the scene with the Palpatine message already playing, concluding right before Rose asks, “Do we believe this?” The audience doesn’t need to be told it’s Palpatine; we met him already.

It feels like people are getting all hooked up on the resistance not hearing something or having something played for them? Palps has been revealed to the audience, does their need to be some like … more confirmation of that? The resistance is already surprised by this and can’t believe it … do what’s the issue? I’m trying to follow this rational but don’t quite get it.

Because he was revealed to the Audience, not the Resistance. There are a lot of things that get revealed to the audience but not the heroes, such as Chewie’s survival. If it’s a major foundation to the motivation of the heroes, it should be in the film.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Found a way to smoothly remove “Some how Palpatine returned” just need music/soundtrack from scene

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I don’t understand what “this is how he finishes it” means in this context? They haven’t listened to the message yet?

Doesn’t really matter, It’s clear there discussing it. His info during conference scene clearly shows he knows more than just Palpatine’s message, Boolio provided fleet info, Exegol name, 16 hours and basic whats going on with Palpatine, I doubt what they uploaded to R2 is just one audio recording of Palpatine explaining every piece of his plan.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

JakeRyan17 said:

jarbear said:

Hal 9000 said:

Eh, we just start the scene with the Palpatine message already playing, concluding right before Rose asks, “Do we believe this?” The audience doesn’t need to be told it’s Palpatine; we met him already.

It feels like people are getting all hooked up on the resistance not hearing something or having something played for them? Palps has been revealed to the audience, does their need to be some like … more confirmation of that? The resistance is already surprised by this and can’t believe it … do what’s the issue? I’m trying to follow this rational but don’t quite get it.

Because he was revealed to the Audience, not the Resistance. There are a lot of things that get revealed to the audience but not the heroes, such as Chewie’s survival. If it’s a major foundation to the motivation of the heroes, it should be in the film.

They decode the intel and Poe says “Palpatine is alive.” They learn of his “survival/revival” from the message. So … it is revealed to them. They get intel from a spy and then tell their group what it says, in which Palps is alive. So … yeah. It is revealed. Both sides know he is alive without them literally having to hear and/or see stuff with the audience. Again. The audience knows, they know it by confirming it on screen.

At the moment it feels like the idea is to shoe horn something in that is not necessary and using a goofy line to be honest.

We also do need to know this is a movie and “the visual and audio reveal” has happened. There is no need for both sides to get the same treatment on screen. They both acknowledge learning of it. No need to keep driving the point in.

Do NOT self-destruct!