Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant (WIP) — Page 195

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Knight of Kalee said:

Burbin said:

Hal 9000 said:

Although, while a shot LIKE that would be nice, that particular shot doesn’t particularly scream end of movie. Rey doesn’t look emotional either.

I agree, that shot feels too active, it gives off a “time for another adventure!” vive, which is what it originally is, instead of a finale. And Rey loses all the emotion from the “Rey Skywalker” moment.

The chess scene works in a better, more subtle way to show that Rey’s friends travel with her. I much prefer the current, simpler ending. It puts the focus on Rey and the Skywalkers, and ends with just the Falcon riding off into the (binary) sunset. Classic!

+1

Though the Skywalker ghosts watching the Falcon/sunrise as an ending shot is a neat idea!

+1 too for chess ending, Might be a stretch with Hals edit but would be a fitting sight to see those ghosts at the end there.

“We Are What They Grow Beyond” - Yoda


My Prefered Saga Viewing Preference:
Ep. III - Revenge of the Sith Special Edition (StankPac Edit) * Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (Gareth Edwards Original Version)
Ep. IV - A New Hope Despecialized Edition (Harmy Edit) * Ep. V - Empire Strikes Back Revisited (Adywan Edit)
Ep. VI - Return of The Jedi Despecialized Edition (Harmy Edit) * Ep. VII - The Force Awakens Restructured (Hal 9000 Edit)
Ep. VIII - The Last Jedi Legendary (Hal 9000 Edit)

💡 Save confusion & express your comments with Markdown Emojis here 💡

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Knight of Kalee said:

+1

Though the Skywalker ghosts watching the Falcon/sunrise as an ending shot is a neat idea!

Hey, I remember pitching something like that a couple months ago 😃

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Rise-of-Skywalker-Ascendant/id/71835/page/116#1349475

Lightsideuser said:

what if we put ourselves in the shoes of someone that has never seen the movie and watches this cut, they have never seen any press about Palpatine’s return, but the first they see of it is on Exegol when Kylo meets him…what if, we keep the suspense going a bit longer…

The problem is that even in this hypothetical where someone’s never heard anything about Rise of Skywalker before, there’s never any suspense at all surrounding Palpatine’s presence. Adding more runtime to the movie isn’t the same as adding suspense to it. It just drags out the confusion and busywork. It doesn’t actually add suspense. I’d argue it’s more impactful just to drop him in the movie ASAP (skipping straight to Exegol) because there’s nothing to the atmosphere of Kylo’s “quest” to find him.

Author
Time

No, you wouldn’t add run time at all, you would rearrange the scenes in a slightly different order with Palpatine’s message playing over interspliced scenes.

Broom Kid said:

Knight of Kalee said:

+1

Though the Skywalker ghosts watching the Falcon/sunrise as an ending shot is a neat idea!

Hey, I remember pitching something like that a couple months ago 😃

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Rise-of-Skywalker-Ascendant/id/71835/page/116#1349475

Lightsideuser said:

what if we put ourselves in the shoes of someone that has never seen the movie and watches this cut, they have never seen any press about Palpatine’s return, but the first they see of it is on Exegol when Kylo meets him…what if, we keep the suspense going a bit longer…

The problem is that even in this hypothetical where someone’s never heard anything about Rise of Skywalker before, there’s never any suspense at all surrounding Palpatine’s presence. Adding more runtime to the movie isn’t the same as adding suspense to it. It just drags out the confusion and busywork. It doesn’t actually add suspense. I’d argue it’s more impactful just to drop him in the movie ASAP (skipping straight to Exegol) because there’s nothing to the atmosphere of Kylo’s “quest” to find him.

Author
Time

Sounds a bit like the dark side version of going to meet the Wizard of Oz.

“The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.” - DV

Author
Time

Not really; there’s not much I can do beyond waiting for the remaining bits and pieces from others as outlined at the top of the OP. Once the edit is ‘locked,’ I can do subtitles and chapters and stuff like that. Once I get the Naboo shot from snooker I will put out another workprint.

Actually, one thing we still need is cover artwork. There was a good front image to use posted a while ago, but does anyone with the know-how feel like crafting something to compliment TFA:R and TLJ:L?

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

How about you set a deadline for any additional scenes to be included, like the end of July for example? You’ve been waiting for some of those scenes a couple months now, and I don’t want this edit to just endlessly stagnate if they aren’t released.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Not really; there’s not much I can do beyond waiting for the remaining bits and pieces from others as outlined at the top of the OP. Once the edit is ‘locked,’ I can do subtitles and chapters and stuff like that. Once I get the Naboo shot from snooker I will put out another workprint.

Actually, one thing we still need is cover artwork. There was a good front image to use posted a while ago, but does anyone with the know-how feel like crafting something to compliment TFA:R and TLJ:L?

What style do you need? Is it like this?

https://i.redd.it/of9s57z2bqk41.png

Check out - http://www.youtube.com/moviesremastered

Author
Time

Starkiller now I know there is a position called Project Manager Manager. I will update your resume.

heil palpatine.

Author
Time

krausfadr said:

Starkiller now I know there is a position called Project Manager Manager. I will update your resume.

Geez, I’m just trying to make a suggestion. If Hal doesn’t like it that’s fine, I’m not trying to backseat drive his edit.

Author
Time

Now, now. That’s all right!

I think the things in the OP are worth waiting for, so I don’t want to impose an arbitrary deadline and either miss out or be obliged to do a lot more work to do a V2 later on. However, once some of them are laid in, I can lock the edit for sync at least.

Movies Remastered, I’d never seen those covers before. Did you just do that? They look very nice. However, for this project the cover artwork should match TFA:R and TLJ:L. BUT, I will happily include any alternates you, DZ-330, or anyone else cares to create, also.

Once sync is locked one of the things that can be approached is some sort of group commentary recording. The bottleneck will probably be my own schedule, as I’d have to plan in advance and make opportunity to step away from everything for like 3 hours. I’d definitely want poppasketti to join in if he’d like. But, I’ve never done anything like that before so I’d need some suggestions for best practice. I imagine meeting via Skype or Zoom or something and then collecting firsthand recordings from all the participants that I can align and edit.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Movies Remastered said:

Hal 9000 said:

Not really; there’s not much I can do beyond waiting for the remaining bits and pieces from others as outlined at the top of the OP. Once the edit is ‘locked,’ I can do subtitles and chapters and stuff like that. Once I get the Naboo shot from snooker I will put out another workprint.

Actually, one thing we still need is cover artwork. There was a good front image to use posted a while ago, but does anyone with the know-how feel like crafting something to compliment TFA:R and TLJ:L?

What style do you need? Is it like this?

https://i.redd.it/of9s57z2bqk41.png

Those are pretty cool. I’m a fan of these or these if permissions could be obtained, although for that second one I’d replace the TROS with this, since the original uses concept art that doesn’t resemble the final film. Also, that first one doesn’t have TROS or ROTJ, so I guess that doesn’t really solve our current problem…

Hal’s talking about a matching cover for the ones he already has for TFA and TLJ, seen here and here. I personally think a matching set for all 9 movies would be best, regardless of the style. But each trilogy is also a very different animal, so I understand if Hal would prefer different styles for each.

Author
Time

Those aren’t mine but the style is very easy to duplicate. Graphic design way my trade for years. I just Googled hal9000 in images. Seems like there are loads but wasn’t sure which style you’re actually going for with this trilogy.

Check out - http://www.youtube.com/moviesremastered

Author
Time

Neerb is right about the TFA and TLJ covers I’m referencing. It happened organically that the ST and PT edits had a different look. People have made other covers and I’ve included the ones I had in the downloads, but separate people initially presented covers to me for the PT and TFA:R, so it grew from there.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

My updated version of the Naboo shot should be ready today or tommorow, I’ll send you a high quality version then, Hal : )

i had lots of fun!!! : ) ❤🧡💛💚💙💜🤎🖤🤍

Author
Time

Are there any project updates regarding the crawl and the Ben solo force ghost?

Author
Time

Got the crawl from Ridley! But the ghosts shots will come when jonh can finish them and he’s thankfully working more of his real job.

I’ll put out a good workprint soon, with color correction.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

uhh, we have color correction, i am excited for a de-blue TROS

the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Skenera made LUTs available, and I plan to apply his basic LUT to the whole film, sans any shots whose source it wouldn’t work with. I like his grey Exegol LUT, so I will play with it. Perhaps it would look good to add the general and grey LUTs to Exegol each at 50% percent or something like that. I’d err on the side of not giving Exegol full special treatment, though.

And, snooker, yeah!!

Sorry I skipped over it, but DX-330, that certainly wouldn’t be bad as a front cover image. Certainly in the ballpark at least.

Bobson Dugnutt said:

a

I do like this one, too. It seems to fit with the images of Kylo and Luke from the other two.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Try adding Palpatine’s line from fortnite - “The day of the Sith” before “find me” on Mustafar on next workprint should be easy thing todo.

Author
Time

Cinefy said:

Try adding Palpatine’s line from fortnite - “The day of the Sith” before “find me” on Mustafar on next workprint should be easy thing todo.

I’ve already brought the volume down substantially on the Palpatine line. If I were to add another it would need to also be almost subliminal. I’m not sure what it would add, though. As it is the audience miiiight hear the “Find me” and ask themselves, “Waaaait a minute…”

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

It’s quite easy to remove the music. I can do it.