Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant (WIP) — Page 133

Author
Time

Hal, you’re the reason I went from lurker to editor on this website, and you’re just such a kind and generous person. I hope even after all of this is done, you hang around at least to chat!

Author
Time

I imagine I’ll go on a self-imposed break for at least a little while, but I’ve got no reason not to hang around here. I’ve already been here 17 years!

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

I imagine I’ll go on a self-imposed break for at least a little while, but I’ve got no reason not to hang around here. I’ve already been here 17 years!

You can stay, we like having you here. When you mean that you’re taking a break, you mean that you’re taking a break from the site or from editing?

Noah Lawson

Author
Time

Both, once TROS:A is finished.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal! I’ve only been here a short time! But I have seen that your passion and dedication are incredible! I understand your decision!
sometimes people need a break, and worry about other things! 😃

Author
Time

I’m just glad you’ll be around to help wrangle TRoS into something watchable. I got burnt out on my edit and that was only one! You deserve a nice rest after all that you’ve done for the community.

Author
Time

I tend to obsess over things, and setting a boundary for myself would be healthy. Maybe some other non-SW project could come up, but for me I have considered these to be a few long-term projects rather than hobbies. They just… went on for a long time!

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

I tend to obsess over things, and setting a boundary for myself would be healthy. Maybe some other non-SW project could come up, but for me I have considered these to be a few long-term projects rather than hobbies. They just… went on for a long time!

You and me both. I get obsessed with my own edits as well, if nothing seems perfect or if I’m overthinking things.

Noah Lawson

Author
Time

You have nothing to apologize, for, Hal!

Thanks to your prequel edits and Adywan’s Revisited project I first found out about fan-edits being a thing, and inspired me to actively thinking about how to improve a flawed movie (and take upon myself to do small scale micro-edits for some films). It says so much that your “swan song” project is becoming a truly collaborative effort between talented fans. Remember when most of us believed this movie’s issues were a lost cause at first? Look how far we’ve come. After all you’ve done for the fan-editing community you’ve got a more than deserved retirement!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s a nice surprise, for sure! It’ll be nice at some point to watch through the whole set.

I’m not going anywhere, just magnetically sealing the SW project for my own good.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

I’m sure this has been said before, but I just REALLY hope you can manage to get a version of Sebastian Shaw Anakin to appear as a spirit behind Rey. I’ve seen some of the fan animations and they all have Hayden Christensen… which I really can’t stand…

Rey Nobody and Sebastian Shaw Anakin. That’s the cut.

The best ice cream is Cloud City ice cream!

Author
Time

So, here’s the link to the DotF DSII duel edit I mentioned earlier. The transition out of the song into the film’s actual score still needs a little work but otherwise, I’m pretty happy with it. Apologies for the overall low quality, I’m not sure where to find good quality clips from the film, so I screen recorded off of Disney+ on my PC for the video and ripped the music from YouTube.

Later in the video, when Rey heals Kylo, is a leftover from some experimentation I was doing with the back half of the video. Leading up to the voices (again, while Rey is healing Kylo), the audio would have been sucked out by the “Force Bond” sound effect and all the foley is replaced with a low rumble (to try to make it seem like Rey is getting pissed) and the second half of Anakin’s Dark Deeds. The foley slowly comes back in as she loses the upper hand – albeit distant and echoey – and then returns to normal when Leia calls out to Ben. I definitely don’t think the voices would work for this fan edit, but I thought it was interesting and ironic how well the visuals and VO lined up so I decided to share it regardless.

Author
Time

I think this article makes a very good point: it’s not the ending that messes everything up, it’s the pointlessly meandering middle. Nothing of consequence happens until the finale, which on its own is actually fairly solid IMO, if uninspired.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

I think this article makes a very good point: it’s not the ending that messes everything up, it’s the pointlessly meandering middle. Nothing of consequence happens until the finale, which on its own is actually fairly solid IMO, if uninspired.

The ending is good in the abstract, but it’s not very balanced, and a lot of the action blends together. Compare it to Return of the Jedi, where the three fields of battle have clear distinctions and plots that allow each of the primary characters to shine.

Author
Time

SkeletonPack said:

So, here’s the link to the DotF DSII duel edit I mentioned earlier. The transition out of the song into the film’s actual score still needs a little work but otherwise, I’m pretty happy with it. Apologies for the overall low quality, I’m not sure where to find good quality clips from the film, so I screen recorded off of Disney+ on my PC for the video and ripped the music from YouTube.

Later in the video, when Rey heals Kylo, is a leftover from some experimentation I was doing with the back half of the video. Leading up to the voices (again, while Rey is healing Kylo), the audio would have been sucked out by the “Force Bond” sound effect and all the foley is replaced with a low rumble (to try to make it seem like Rey is getting pissed) and the second half of Anakin’s Dark Deeds. The foley slowly comes back in as she loses the upper hand – albeit distant and echoey – and then returns to normal when Leia calls out to Ben. I definitely don’t think the voices would work for this fan edit, but I thought it was interesting and ironic how well the visuals and VO lined up so I decided to share it regardless.

I really like this. In my opinion, the song fits the Duel really well.

Author
Time

SkeletonPack said:

So, here’s the link to the DotF DSII duel edit I mentioned earlier. The transition out of the song into the film’s actual score still needs a little work but otherwise, I’m pretty happy with it. Apologies for the overall low quality, I’m not sure where to find good quality clips from the film, so I screen recorded off of Disney+ on my PC for the video and ripped the music from YouTube.

Later in the video, when Rey heals Kylo, is a leftover from some experimentation I was doing with the back half of the video. Leading up to the voices (again, while Rey is healing Kylo), the audio would have been sucked out by the “Force Bond” sound effect and all the foley is replaced with a low rumble (to try to make it seem like Rey is getting pissed) and the second half of Anakin’s Dark Deeds. The foley slowly comes back in as she loses the upper hand – albeit distant and echoey – and then returns to normal when Leia calls out to Ben. I definitely don’t think the voices would work for this fan edit, but I thought it was interesting and ironic how well the visuals and VO lined up so I decided to share it regardless.

The actual Duel of the Fates track feels a bit too much on the slow side, but yeah that choir-less version suits the scene the best.

The TLJ voiceover was a curious bit! Maybe a very subtle whisper of a couple of those lines could actually be in the movie at some point.

Author
Time

Nice! What was the source of the music? Did you slow down the speed yourself or was it like that?

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

jonh said:

the force ghost version 2.0 (Today I will upload it to drive in maximum quality 😃 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELUFjl16-U

Jedis a little more visible, more force ghost glow … and improves in the last shot

Oh, it’s beautiful

the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Author
Time

Thanks for continuing to give this attention and care. I like how you have Luke lowering his arm while vanishing. It reminds me of how in the Trek movies they made a point to have people move while the transporter effect is going on, so it feels more convincing and because they could at that point.

I’m happy to use what you’re happy with. The close up of Kenobi seems weird to me, it feels different than the other three. Any reason for that change over the initial version you did?

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Thanks for continuing to give this attention and care. I like how you have Luke lowering his arm while vanishing. It reminds me of how in the Trek movies they made a point to have people move while the transporter effect is going on, so it feels more convincing and because they could at that point.

I’m happy to use what you’re happy with. The close up of Kenobi seems weird to me, it feels different than the other three. Any reason for that change over the initial version you did?

I just liked the new shot better! but if you want, use the previous one in your edition! the one you like best!!
I’ll upload this version soon, and people will choose 😃

Author
Time

jonh said:

the force ghost version 2.0 (Today I will upload it to drive in maximum quality 😃 )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iELUFjl16-U

Jedis a little more visible, more force ghost glow … and improves in the last shot

Stunning. This gets me way more than the Theatrical version. Great job.

May the Force be with you, always.