Sign In

The Rise of Skywalker: Ascendant (Released) — Page 550

Author
Time

If it could be rearranged some it could better imply that Leia was passing her Jedi journey, and not just her saber, to someone else. Plus by re-adding some removed dialogue from this edit and repositioning it, it could make it more personal for Luke and Leia with Rey. Just food for thought to help the scene some 🤷‍♂️

Luke:
“There’s something my sister would want you to have.”

Rey:
“Leia’s saber…”

Luke:
"Leia surrendered her saber to me. She told me that she had sensed the end of her Jedi path and that one day, it would be picked up again, by someone who would finish her journey.

Rey, she saw your spirit, your heart… we’ll always be with you, but this is your fight."

The Skywalker Saga:
I / II / III / IV / V / VI / VII / VIII / IX
This is the way.

Author
Time

It’s hard to imagine that working well, honestly. I doubt we’d get better than this.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RogueLeader said:

I actually feel like it is sort of important to make it clear that Leia didn’t finish her Jedi training. Luke has to be the last Jedi, after all. I actually find it funny that the writers even specified that it was her last night of training.

I agree, but I think the “surrendered her saber” and “finish her journey” lines make it clear enough that Leia didn’t become a fully fledged Jedi. Though I do love the change, if one was to nitpick, “she had sensed the end of her Jedi path” carries an implication that the end has arrived now in a way “she had sensed the death of her son at the end of her Jedi path” doesn’t, so those other two lines are doing a lot of clarification work either way. Anyway I’m just spitballing - trimming out the mention of Ben’s death already massively improves that dialogue, and V5 sounds pretty good to me. I could probably convince myself it’s a good idea to remove basically any line in this movie lol.

Author
Time

Neerb said:

I think ideally, I’d like a v4 (the “end” seems to hit harder there)…

Burbin said:

I agree v5 is really good, the softened transition into “end” makes it flow much better…

Well, that’s not contradictory at all lol.

NeverarGreat said:

All of these attempts feel almost but not quite there. I think that it has to do with how he says the word ‘end’ as if it’s the final word of the sentence. The word needs a bit more attack and depth here in the middle of the sentence.

Funnily enough, this clip of “end” is originally from the end of a sentence, but I started working with it because the original line (where “end” was in the middle) had even less emphasis. There’s maybe one or two other instances that I could play with instead; I’ll see if anything can happen with those.


DrVibble said:

https://streamable.com/81qs12

First time listening to this: I think the only part that needs work is “am a”, it’s said pretty quickly and sounds just a little bit clippy. But the audio of the rest of the scene works great, and the line itself is a fantastic change

Sorry, missed this earlier. I know clarifying the “am” was something that Cap was working on (my version just used the “am” from the original line); “a” has been the elusive part of the whole thing though. It’s such a short, mushy sound in the first place - it tends to blur into whatever words are surrounding it, making a clean extraction difficult - and the original line reading is pretty quick already, so I don’t think there’s much that can be done in that regard. But I’ll at least try to smooth out the clippiness some more. Thanks for the feedback!

Author
Time

DrVibble said:

https://streamable.com/81qs12

First time listening to this: I think the only part that needs work is “am a”, it’s said pretty quickly and sounds just a little bit clippy. But the audio of the rest of the scene works great, and the line itself is a fantastic change

Sorry, missed this earlier. I know clarifying the “am” was something that Cap was working on (my version just used the “am” from the original line); “a” has been the elusive part of the whole thing though. It’s such a short, mushy sound in the first place - it tends to blur into whatever words are surrounding it, making a clean extraction difficult - and the original line reading is pretty quick already, so I don’t think there’s much that can be done in that regard. But I’ll at least try to smooth out the clippiness some more. Thanks for the feedback!

I’ve reached a stage where I don’t think any more can be done with my sources than what I’ve already done, short of adding some electrical crackling SFX over the scene that could conveniently mask the slight hum on that phoneme. The only other option is to delve into Daisy Ridley interviews and try and grab the entire word, but for the reasons you point out, that’s a hard task.

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars

Author
Time

I’ve noticed this clip contains a noticeable reshuffling of shots that doesn’t seem to be noted elsewhere.
https://streamable.com/81qs12

Was this intentional on your part, SP? 😃

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

A sudden thought upon rewatching that “I am a Jedi” clip: could we get a noticeably audible Skywalker Saber ignition sound in there?

When she catches Anakin’s/Luke’s/Rey’s saber behind her back, it’s turned off, and then when things go silent and she says “… am a Jedi,” she pulls it up already turned on. I think it would be nice if, after she says “I am a Jedi,” right as she pulls up the saber, we hear it loudly ignite off-screen as the sound that breaks the silence of the moment (rather than the growing crackle of the lightning).

It would really solidify her declaration of being a Jedi, and the idea that she’s taking up the Skywalker legacy, if in that moment we clearly hear that iconic, distinctive lightsaber sound, for the final time.

Author
Time

Not a bad idea to at least try it. I’ll probably wait to have SP’s final output first, but I added it to the “being considered” section of the OP.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Neerb said:

A sudden thought upon rewatching that “I am a Jedi” clip: could we get a noticeably audible Skywalker Saber ignition sound in there?

When she catches Anakin’s/Luke’s/Rey’s saber behind her back, it’s turned off, and then when things go silent and she says “… am a Jedi,” she pulls it up already turned on. I think it would be nice if, after she says “I am a Jedi,” right as she pulls up the saber, we hear it loudly ignite off-screen as the sound that breaks the silence of the moment (rather than the growing crackle of the lightning).

It would really solidify her declaration of being a Jedi, and the idea that she’s taking up the Skywalker legacy, if in that moment we clearly hear that iconic, distinctive lightsaber sound, for the final time.

I’ll try that when I get the chance - the hum of a lightsaber that’s just been activated might be enough to disguise it successfully. The ignition sound doesn’t even need to cross over the dialogue, the hum would be a better sound anyway.

Edit: I misunderstood your comment, BUT, I think the way I interpreted it might solve the problem! I’m imagining:

“And I…” (SNAP-hiss, vrmmm) “…am a Jedi.”

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Took five minutes to find a sound effect and threw it on Sherlock’s clip, so here’s my example of what I’m suggesting, in case anyone’s curious:

https://vimeo.com/590825596/5aba74544d

CaptainFaraday said:

I’ll try that when I get the chance - the hum of a lightsaber that’s just been activated might be enough to disguise it successfully. The ignition sound doesn’t even need to cross over the dialogue, the hum would be a better sound anyway.

Edit: I misunderstood your comment, BUT, I think the way I interpreted it might solve the problem! I’m imagining:

“And I…” (SNAP-hiss, vrmmm) “…am a Jedi.”

I’d be curious to hear this version too, but I’m not sure there’s enough time visually, as we see her un-ignited saber til right before she talks.

Author
Time

Thats awesome Neerb, have fallen a bit behind on the updates on this thread so only now catching up and that clip looks relly awesome

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s been quite a while since I’ve followed this project and I’m speechless. I can’t put it into words how phenomenal the film is becoming. I haven’t read all the posts I’ve missed as it would take me a couple hours to read it all. Is there an easier way to see all the finished clips for 2.0? I’ve been able to find only a couple (the puppet show blew me away!) as a lot of them are lost within the discussion. A version 1.5 workprint maybe? Keep up the great work to Hal and everyone who has contributed to this edit. 😃

Author
Time

Yeah for some reason that’s really additive.

Author
Time

I’d probably mix it in much more subtlely but that’s nice.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

Haha yeah, the extra Palpatine shot was just me having a bit of a laugh after listening to the same 3 seconds of dialogue for days on end. It won’t be in the final version, don’t worry.

I’m almost positive there’s already a lightsaber ignition sound in the original, but it is fairly quiet in the mix. It happens right before the sound drops out, mid-ramp up, just before the big DOUBLE LIGHTSABER LIGHTNING BLOCK TAKEDOWN MOVE!!! If we wanted a more obvious sound effect, that’s definitely a valid suggestion; but to the film’s very limited credit, J.J. didn’t just forget to activate the lightsaber entirely.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

sherlockpotter said:

It won’t be in the final version, don’t worry.

😦

the dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural

Author
Time

If it helps hide any audio issues, the ignition idea sounds like a simple way to mask anything if tuned up a bit.

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time

CarterStarkiller said:

It’s been quite a while since I’ve followed this project and I’m speechless. I can’t put it into words how phenomenal the film is becoming. I haven’t read all the posts I’ve missed as it would take me a couple hours to read it all. Is there an easier way to see all the finished clips for 2.0? I’ve been able to find only a couple (the puppet show blew me away!) as a lot of them are lost within the discussion. A version 1.5 workprint maybe? Keep up the great work to Hal and everyone who has contributed to this edit. 😃

That sounds like a smart idea. Access to all the currently available preview clips for the latest version. HAL, get on that! XD

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time

Only think is that it wouldn’t be totally ‘coherent,’ or presentable for a rando. But we’ll see about it once maybe get ‘sync locked.’

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

What’s currently incoherent/unpresentable? Are you keeping some spots open for yet-to-be-finished additions, or are there bits and pieces of incomplete changes already integrated?

Not that I’m in a rush on the “v1.5” idea. We’ve already waited this long, and 1.0 is still solid for showing newbies.

Author
Time


Quality work with puppet show!

“We Are What They Grow Beyond” - Yoda


My Prefered Saga Viewing Preference:
Ep. III - Revenge of the Sith Special Edition (StankPac Edit) * Rogue One - A Star Wars Story (Hal 9000 Edit)
Ep. IV - A New Hope D+77 (OohTeeDee Edit) * Ep. V - Empire Strikes Back D+80 (OohTeeDee Edit)
Ep. VI - Return of The Jedi OTD83 (OohTeeDee Edit) * Ep. VII - The Force Awakens Restructured (Hal 9000 Edit)
Ep. VIII - The Last Jedi Legendary (Hal 9000 Edit) * Ep. IX - The Rise of Skywalker Ascendant (Hal 9000 Edit)

💡 Save confusion & express your comments with Markdown Emojis here 💡

Author
Time

Isn’t it, though?

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hal 9000 said:

Isn’t it, though?

But of course! It has only made me all the more enlightened for the new version. 😃

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time

I have to say, I’m really happy with the reception the puppet show has gotten. It’s not a big thing, but it seems like it will be a nice little detail fans will notice.