Sign In

The Prequels Strike Back: A Fan's Journey

Author
Time
 (Edited)

New documentary drops September 14th. Here’s the trailer.
Official synopsis:

Nearly two decades after the release of Star Wars: Episode I, Star Wars fans still heatedly debate the merits and the shortcomings of the controversial prequel films that brought to the world Jar Jar Binks, Darth Maul, midichlorians, and a purple lightsaber.

Unsure what to make of the films, a Star Wars fan treks across country interviewing dozens in search of answers. Are the prequel films masterpiece or disaster? Is George Lucas an inconsistent hack or a champion of a singular vision? And most important of all, is there a way to bring balance to the dark and light sides of fandom? As our hero discovers, much to learn, he still has.

I don’t know about anyone else, but just based on the trailer, this is looking to be a pretty weak affair. It’s the same tired exercise in trying to convince themselves and others that the movies aren’t as bad as they are. Yes, there was some thought behind the prequel trilogy. But execution is everything. If you mess that up, you have nothing.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

I’m not watching that trailer because I don’t have any interest in watching a filmed version of TF.N. 😉

Author
Time

Seems like this will be a good thing to get drunk to and hate watch. I just hope no one needlessly attacks the OT and TFA to bolster their arguments.

Author
Time

Meh. I didn’t watch that trailer, but I doubt it can make me feel any different about the project than I already do. I’m sure they’re well meaning fans, so as long as they don’t bash the OT or TFA, I really don’t care. Suggesting that he may be the “Champion of a Singular Vision” is ridiculous though.

.

Author
Time

I already ripped this up with Tobar, but yeah, it’s the usual sheepish “ring theory” “poetry” “It’s not that bad” stuff. It’s okay to admit they were bad movies, but some people just won’t hear it, they just can’t live in a world where something Lucas created isn’t amazing, so they’ve convinced themselves that it is.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

Yeah, let’s not give the guy who came up with the Ring Theory any more credit beyond, “wow, he was able to snatch the starwarsringtheory domain for his shitty theory.”

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress / Twitter

Author
Time

Tyrphanax said:

I already ripped this up with Tobar

We’re still talking about…

…wait, what are we talking about?

Author
Time

I immediately lost interest when they brought up miniature effects and the ring theory. “The prequels used more sets and miniatures than the originals”, gee no kidding. You can easily tell just by looking at TPM especially that on-location shooting, sets and miniature effects are being used, but that doesn’t mean jack shit in the long run. The only thing I think of when I see these well crafted miniatures is “Gee, if only the rest of the movie was this consistent in quality”. Granted, there were shots in all of the prequels I never knew were miniatures, but so what? Good looking effects are not what will automatically make me forgive the terrible writing. And then of cause the ring theory, the “get out of a sticky situation with OT fans for free ticket”. Not everything needs to be connected as part of some kind of master plan, if anything this only makes everything become more watered-down and predictable. Revenge of The Sith in particular is always given a pass by fans for some reason, and I think I have the answer. It’s not because the characters are likable, charismatic or you want them to accomplish their goals, neither is it because the story itself is engaging. They like it because there’s 5 lightsaber duels (Only 2 of which are important to the plot), a good score and a dark, edgy plot. ROTS is a predictable mess of a movie and the only reason I feel as if the plot was made as serious as it was, was as a response to the negative reception of the bumbling, childish tone of TPM and the romantic, political tone of ATOC. If anything it tried to do what ROTJ did by mixing dark, emotional, comedic and adventurous elements into one story, and as with ROTJ, it failed miserably at it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If we’re being honest here ROTS is predictable by nature. Even if it were a good film it still wouldn’t change the fact that we already know how it’s going to end. The same thing applied to Rogue One

Author
Time

Earl said:

I immediately lost interest when they brought up miniature effects and the ring theory. “The prequels used more sets and miniatures than the originals”, gee no kidding. You can easily tell just by looking at TPM especially that on-location shooting, sets and miniature effects are being used, but that doesn’t mean jack shit in the long run. The only thing I think of when I see these well crafted miniatures is “Gee, if only the rest of the movie was this consistent in quality”. Granted, there were shots in all of the prequels I never knew were miniatures, but so what? Good looking effects are not what will automatically make me forgive the terrible writing. And then of cause the ring theory, the “get out of a sticky situation with OT fans for free ticket”. Not everything needs to be connected as part of some kind of master plan, if anything this only makes everything become more watered-down and predictable. Revenge of The Sith in particular is always given a pass by fans for some reason, and I think I have the answer. It’s not because the characters are likable, charismatic or you want them to accomplish their goals, neither is it because the story itself is engaging. They like it because there’s 5 lightsaber duels (Only 2 of which are important to the plot), a good score and a dark, edgy plot. ROTS is a predictable mess of a movie and the only reason I feel as if the plot was made as serious as it was, was as a response to the negative reception of the bumbling, childish tone of TPM and the romantic, political tone of ATOC. If anything it tried to do what ROTJ did by mixing dark, emotional, comedic and adventurous elements into one story, and as with ROTJ, it failed miserably at it.

Oh yeah, I meant to bring that one up. I hate when someone says they used “more miniatures on the Prequels than the OT,” as if that makes the PT somehow good movies. I love physical effects and props, but that’s not the decider of the quality of the movie.

There may be a ton of miniatures, but they’re so CGI’d over that they just look like full CG shots anyway.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

Here’s a nice quote about that Ring Theory stuff:

“Any time someone tells you that a work was secretly brilliant, and needs many thousands of words to explain why, you should be suspicious.”

Full article can be found here: http://mythcreants.com/blog/five-terrible-defenses-of-the-star-wars-prequels/

Rogue One is redundant. Just play the first mission of DARK FORCES.
Being surrounded by yes men: the hallmark of a corrupt leader.
‘The best visual effects in the world will not compensate for a story told badly.’ - V.E.S.
‘Star Wars is a buffet, enjoy the stuff you want, and leave the rest.’ - SilverWook

Author
Time

Haarspalter said:

“Any time someone tells you that a work was secretly brilliant, and needs many thousands of words to explain why, you should be suspicious.”

Ah that explains David Lynch in general and Mullholland Drive in particular.

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

If we’re being honest here ROTS is predictable by nature. Even if it were a good film it still wouldn’t change the fact that we already know how it’s going to end. The same thing applied to Rogue One

That is pretty irrelevant. I know what will happen at the end of OT and yet I enjoy it every time I watch it. Only shitty films rely on suspense and plot twists.

真実

Author
Time

imperialscum said:

Lord Haseo said:

If we’re being honest here ROTS is predictable by nature. Even if it were a good film it still wouldn’t change the fact that we already know how it’s going to end. The same thing applied to Rogue One

That is pretty irrelevant. I know what will happen at the end of OT and yet I enjoy it every time I watch it. Only shitty films rely on suspense and plot twists.

I agree but calling ROTS predictable is like calling Shaq tall. It’s pretty redundant. Also I’m not arguing that predictability is good or bad.

Author
Time

Lord Haseo said:

imperialscum said:

Lord Haseo said:

If we’re being honest here ROTS is predictable by nature. Even if it were a good film it still wouldn’t change the fact that we already know how it’s going to end. The same thing applied to Rogue One

That is pretty irrelevant. I know what will happen at the end of OT and yet I enjoy it every time I watch it. Only shitty films rely on suspense and plot twists.

I agree but calling ROTS predictable is like calling Shaq tall. It’s pretty redundant. Also I’m not arguing that predictability is good or bad.

I wouldn’t say knowing how it ends makes it predictable. It’s not quite the same thing.

Author
Time

Anime is predictable despite the fact I’ve never finished one.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Lord Haseo said:

imperialscum said:

Lord Haseo said:

If we’re being honest here ROTS is predictable by nature. Even if it were a good film it still wouldn’t change the fact that we already know how it’s going to end. The same thing applied to Rogue One

That is pretty irrelevant. I know what will happen at the end of OT and yet I enjoy it every time I watch it. Only shitty films rely on suspense and plot twists.

I agree but calling ROTS predictable is like calling Shaq tall. It’s pretty redundant. Also I’m not arguing that predictability is good or bad.

I wouldn’t say knowing how it ends makes it predictable. It’s not quite the same thing.

I guess so seeing as how you can’t really predict something you already know is going to happen.

Author
Time

imperialscum said:

TV’s Frink said:

Anime is predictable despite the fact I’ve never finished one.

So you lied about seeing them all?

I never said I watched every minute of every anime. Other than reading your posts, I’m not really into self-torture.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

imperialscum said:

TV’s Frink said:

Anime is predictable despite the fact I’ve never finished one.

So you lied about seeing them all?

I never said I watched every minute of every anime. Other than reading your posts, I’m not really into self-torture.

Then you technically haven’t seen them all, as you tried to claim it. In fact, if you have never finished one, you technically haven’t seen any.

真実

Author
Time

imperialscum said:

TV’s Frink said:

imperialscum said:

TV’s Frink said:

Anime is predictable despite the fact I’ve never finished one.

So you lied about seeing them all?

I never said I watched every minute of every anime. Other than reading your posts, I’m not really into self-torture.

Then you technically haven’t seen them all, as you tried to claim it. In fact, if you have never finished one, you technically haven’t seen any.

Have you seen this bear or not?

I’ve seen enough of it to know it’s adorable. Just like I’ve seen enough of every single anime to know they’re terrible.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

TV’s Frink said:

Haarspalter said:

“Any time someone tells you that a work was secretly brilliant, and needs many thousands of words to explain why, you should be suspicious.”

Ah that explains David Lynch in general and Mullholland Drive in particular.

May your arms sometimes bend back in the Black Lodge for twenty-five years.

I’m proud to not know what this means.