Sign In

The Prequel Trilogy Revised - concept trailers released (WIP) — Page 22

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s definitely good to see you’re alive and well, AlaskanSandman!!

Dazman has already said hello in this thread, but since he didn’t toot his own horn I’ll go ahead and do it! Have you seen his incredible work on fixing up shots and adding VFX throughout Phantom Menace?
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Phantom-Menace-Improved-Edition-10-years-on-the-forum-edit-Released/id/91544/page/2#1485011

A lot of his work overlaps with yours, such as city lights on the Naboo and Tatooine planets in space, nicer lightsabers, and so on. From his OP, it namely boasts hundreds of cuts, tens of added slight sharpening effects to blurry shots, about 75 Audition audio edits, about 170 After Effect shots, and new short shots from upscaled dvd footage, so far too much to enumerate, but from a casual watch I thought his work did a fantastic job at revitalizing the film after two decades!

While I can’t speak for anyone else, I definitely think the best TPM cut would be one that consolidates all of the visual work both you and Dazman have put in; is there any chance you’ve considered collaborating on that front?

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Davinci Resolve added HDR since I last color corrected the Prequels. So this is a quick test of the HDR with out any color corrections. Hdr gives better control and more range to manipulate the different dark and bright areas of the image. Just playing around for now till I get a new drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11AiSeoySb2kk_vATvZNKEGYw0YK71NQZ/view?fbclid=IwAR3o_RGmtzbYmN0aEH4gWBy1bJnHQjJrj924v1stb2SGfggEmivyZyvumYI

Can this fix bad hdr grades like evil dead 1 and 2?

Author
Time

[Fullmetaled said:](post/id/1488309]
Can this fix bad hdr grades like evil dead 1 and 2?

It depends all on the colorist and his monitor setup. The program which is used is secondary. What does it help when you have the best tools but don’t know how to use them?

Author
Time

CMMAP said:

[Fullmetaled said:](post/id/1488309]
Can this fix bad hdr grades like evil dead 1 and 2?

It depends all on the colorist and his monitor setup. The program which is used is secondary. What does it help when you have the best tools but don’t know how to use them?

I was asking because I’d love to see evil dead 1 and 2 and maybe ghostbusters 1 and 2 with better hdr grades.

Author
Time

Fullmetaled said:

CMMAP said:

[Fullmetaled said:](post/id/1488309]
Can this fix bad hdr grades like evil dead 1 and 2?

It depends all on the colorist and his monitor setup. The program which is used is secondary. What does it help when you have the best tools but don’t know how to use them?

I was asking because I’d love to see evil dead 1 and 2 and maybe ghostbusters 1 and 2 with better hdr grades.

Then you‘re in the wrong thread buddy.

Author
Time

NotTheDri0ds said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

I think one of the biggest things is getting good 3d models, even just for space scenes. I would like models for the ships on Naboo and to do an aerial battle over Naboo. This is one of the more ambitious scenes/shots I would like to pull off. This would be when the Federation is first attacking Naboo, not the climax.

Yeahh, getting the models is always the toughest part. I think Battlefront 2 has some good models for the Naboo Starfighters though (the game’s a treasure trove of high quality Star Wars models.

TheAlaskanSandman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OAPox_wluQTwhzTjFwJnSAevRE3uXBy4/view?usp=sharing

And maaan I can’t get over how good the trailer looks! I really hope you’re able to get them through. Adding the Order 66 scene from Obi-Wan Kenobi is an interesting idea, wonder how that’ll pan out. I did see someone doing a mockup of it in the radical redux thread.

The HDR control also looks great so far!

Thank you! and yea Battle Front 2 is where I was going for models when I last worked on them. Seems its still the best go to

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Davinci Resolve added HDR since I last color corrected the Prequels. So this is a quick test of the HDR with out any color corrections. Hdr gives better control and more range to manipulate the different dark and bright areas of the image. Just playing around for now till I get a new drive.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11AiSeoySb2kk_vATvZNKEGYw0YK71NQZ/view?fbclid=IwAR3o_RGmtzbYmN0aEH4gWBy1bJnHQjJrj924v1stb2SGfggEmivyZyvumYI

Can this fix bad hdr grades like evil dead 1 and 2?

Im sure it could, but as pointed out, its up to the person doing the work. This is something that comes up in color grading too. Personal taste will always come into things too. That being said, who ever does it should focus most on not losing details in the bright and dark areas as you work to add more depth. Itd be very easy to just boost all the dark ends and lose detail in the shadow areas. Its worth exploring though if you are interested, and you can always do a couple test to compare which gave you the better results. Davinci Resolve is free and so is their HDR feature. You do have to set the settings for the proper output and should make sure your monitor is calibrated. If you’re doing just for you, don’t worry about what everyone else thinks and just go with what feels good to you. If you would like to share then of course, do a couple samples and see what people like best 😃

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

CMMAP said:

[Fullmetaled said:](post/id/1488309]
Can this fix bad hdr grades like evil dead 1 and 2?

It depends all on the colorist and his monitor setup. The program which is used is secondary. What does it help when you have the best tools but don’t know how to use them?

That’s what practice is for. Again, taste will play a big factor along with skill. It is art after all

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

JKMaxx said:

It’s definitely good to see you’re alive and well, AlaskanSandman!!

Dazman has already said hello in this thread, but since he didn’t toot his own horn I’ll go ahead and do it! Have you seen his incredible work on fixing up shots and adding VFX throughout Phantom Menace?
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Phantom-Menace-Improved-Edition-10-years-on-the-forum-edit-Released/id/91544/page/2#1485011

A lot of his work overlaps with yours, such as city lights on the Naboo and Tatooine planets in space, nicer lightsabers, and so on. From his OP, it namely boasts hundreds of cuts, tens of added slight sharpening effects to blurry shots, about 75 Audition audio edits, about 170 After Effect shots, and new short shots from upscaled dvd footage, so far too much to enumerate, but from a casual watch I thought his work did a fantastic job at revitalizing the film after two decades!

While I can’t speak for anyone else, I definitely think the best TPM cut would be one that consolidates all of the visual work both you and Dazman have put in; is there any chance you’ve considered collaborating on that front?

I have not atm. Maybe after I finish my own work. I know there was another user named Snooker who had done some good work too like removing Yoda from TPM.
Right now im largely focusing on my own edit as I have a couple distinct story beats that are different, like the assault on Naboo and Escape from Naboo to specifically give my edit its own unique arch. Other things have been changed in my edit like Palpatine killing the younglings instead of Anakin, as this makes Obiwan’s accusation to Padame, questionable. Specially from Anakin’s pov, as Anakin know’s its not true. Palpatine frames Anakin essentially, and Obiwan bites the bait.
I don’t mind people using similar ideas, but don’t want to get bogged down in other peoples “vision’s” while trying to get out my own.

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

In your absence, AlaskanSandman, we did a bit of a deep dive into TPM over here. You might want to check it out in case there’s anything there of interest to you for your edit!

The Clone Wars: Refocused

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

JKMaxx said:

It’s definitely good to see you’re alive and well, AlaskanSandman!!

Dazman has already said hello in this thread, but since he didn’t toot his own horn I’ll go ahead and do it! Have you seen his incredible work on fixing up shots and adding VFX throughout Phantom Menace?
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Phantom-Menace-Improved-Edition-10-years-on-the-forum-edit-Released/id/91544/page/2#1485011

A lot of his work overlaps with yours, such as city lights on the Naboo and Tatooine planets in space, nicer lightsabers, and so on. From his OP, it namely boasts hundreds of cuts, tens of added slight sharpening effects to blurry shots, about 75 Audition audio edits, about 170 After Effect shots, and new short shots from upscaled dvd footage, so far too much to enumerate, but from a casual watch I thought his work did a fantastic job at revitalizing the film after two decades!

While I can’t speak for anyone else, I definitely think the best TPM cut would be one that consolidates all of the visual work both you and Dazman have put in; is there any chance you’ve considered collaborating on that front?

I have not atm. Maybe after I finish my own work. I know there was another user named Snooker who had done some good work too like removing Yoda from TPM.
Right now im largely focusing on my own edit as I have a couple distinct story beats that are different, like the assault on Naboo and Escape from Naboo to specifically give my edit its own unique arch. Other things have been changed in my edit like Palpatine killing the younglings instead of Anakin, as this makes Obiwan’s accusation to Padame, questionable. Specially from Anakin’s pov, as Anakin know’s its not true. Palpatine frames Anakin essentially, and Obiwan bites the bait.
I don’t mind people using similar ideas, but don’t want to get bogged down in other peoples “vision’s” while trying to get out my own.

This makes anakin’s hatred of obi wan more reasonable.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

JKMaxx said:

It’s definitely good to see you’re alive and well, AlaskanSandman!!

Dazman has already said hello in this thread, but since he didn’t toot his own horn I’ll go ahead and do it! Have you seen his incredible work on fixing up shots and adding VFX throughout Phantom Menace?
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Phantom-Menace-Improved-Edition-10-years-on-the-forum-edit-Released/id/91544/page/2#1485011

A lot of his work overlaps with yours, such as city lights on the Naboo and Tatooine planets in space, nicer lightsabers, and so on. From his OP, it namely boasts hundreds of cuts, tens of added slight sharpening effects to blurry shots, about 75 Audition audio edits, about 170 After Effect shots, and new short shots from upscaled dvd footage, so far too much to enumerate, but from a casual watch I thought his work did a fantastic job at revitalizing the film after two decades!

While I can’t speak for anyone else, I definitely think the best TPM cut would be one that consolidates all of the visual work both you and Dazman have put in; is there any chance you’ve considered collaborating on that front?

I have not atm. Maybe after I finish my own work. I know there was another user named Snooker who had done some good work too like removing Yoda from TPM.
Right now im largely focusing on my own edit as I have a couple distinct story beats that are different, like the assault on Naboo and Escape from Naboo to specifically give my edit its own unique arch. Other things have been changed in my edit like Palpatine killing the younglings instead of Anakin, as this makes Obiwan’s accusation to Padame, questionable. Specially from Anakin’s pov, as Anakin know’s its not true. Palpatine frames Anakin essentially, and Obiwan bites the bait.
I don’t mind people using similar ideas, but don’t want to get bogged down in other peoples “vision’s” while trying to get out my own.

This makes anakin’s hatred of obi wan more reasonable.

When Obi discovers the younglings, they have saber burns and he and Yoda just assume it was Anakin after seeing Anakin on the holocron. Then when confronted about it by Padame, in earshot of Obiwan, Anakin doesn’t deny it. He say’s “Obiwan is trying to turn you against me”. So from Obiwan’s pov, it’s true and Anakin is lying to Padame. From Anakin’s Pov, Obiwan is lying and trying to turn Padame against him. Proving Palpatine to be right about the Jedi.

Anakin killing the younglings is just too out of left field. Palpatine doing it, cements him as the true evil of the story. While also adding layers to the conflict between Ani and Obi.

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

Woah, that’s actually an interesting take, and shouldn’t be too hard to do.

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Na, I had already done most of the Palpatine scene already and a glimpse of it is at the end of the Trailer.

Oh yeah, saw that, fantastic work!

Author
Time

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QXYOC7U5yuhQAr089jiWeXZpy7J0nY0M/view?usp=sharing

Here is a sample of Anakin meeting Padame from my 3-1 cut done in HDR.

The scene was cut to flow tighter and more natural, like the dialogue between Ani and Padame.

I guess some of the cgi didn’t age too badly or did you update it because watto and think even jar jar look ok for the most part.

I thought Watto and Jarjar looked better too. No cgi work, just HDR. This is from the 1080p blurays. The Hdr just really helped balance the levels better so they blend into the scene more.

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

EddieDean said:

In your absence, AlaskanSandman, we did a bit of a deep dive into TPM over here. You might want to check it out in case there’s anything there of interest to you for your edit!

I second that! I made my own attempt at an alternate opening that was suggested by EddieDean, and while that idea got scrapped, it’s a good example of the work that’s been done on that thread so far!

I have altered Lucas’ visions. Pray I don’t alter them any further.

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QXYOC7U5yuhQAr089jiWeXZpy7J0nY0M/view?usp=sharing

Here is a sample of Anakin meeting Padame from my 3-1 cut done in HDR.

The scene was cut to flow tighter and more natural, like the dialogue between Ani and Padame.

I guess some of the cgi didn’t age too badly or did you update it because watto and think even jar jar look ok for the most part.

I thought Watto and Jarjar looked better too. No cgi work, just HDR. This is from the 1080p blurays. The Hdr just really helped balance the levels better so they blend into the scene more.

I hope there’s a way to make them look that good throughout the prequel trilogy.

Author
Time

I can’t believe how impressive this hdr program is it’s 100 percent as good as a professional hdr grade program this is a game changer.

Author
Time

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QXYOC7U5yuhQAr089jiWeXZpy7J0nY0M/view?usp=sharing

Here is a sample of Anakin meeting Padame from my 3-1 cut done in HDR.

The scene was cut to flow tighter and more natural, like the dialogue between Ani and Padame.

I guess some of the cgi didn’t age too badly or did you update it because watto and think even jar jar look ok for the most part.

I thought Watto and Jarjar looked better too. No cgi work, just HDR. This is from the 1080p blurays. The Hdr just really helped balance the levels better so they blend into the scene more.

I hope there’s a way to make them look that good throughout the prequel trilogy.

Well see, Im still playing with it trying to find the right balance. Its helpful but def takes sometime

Muclunkey!
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Prequel-Trilogy-Revised-Trailer/id/70831

Author
Time

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

Fullmetaled said:

TheAlaskanSandman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QXYOC7U5yuhQAr089jiWeXZpy7J0nY0M/view?usp=sharing

Here is a sample of Anakin meeting Padame from my 3-1 cut done in HDR.

The scene was cut to flow tighter and more natural, like the dialogue between Ani and Padame.

I guess some of the cgi didn’t age too badly or did you update it because watto and think even jar jar look ok for the most part.

I thought Watto and Jarjar looked better too. No cgi work, just HDR. This is from the 1080p blurays. The Hdr just really helped balance the levels better so they blend into the scene more.

I hope there’s a way to make them look that good throughout the prequel trilogy.

Well see, Im still playing with it trying to find the right balance. Its helpful but def takes sometime

Take your time if you can get those two characters and maybe more to look good without updating the cgi you just made a miracle happen.