Sign In

The Prequel Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 325

Author
Time

TK42-WAN said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

I don’t get why you’d cut the robot platforms. That’s one of the best parts.

I cut the platforms because Anakin’s jump looks ludicrous and the design of the droid he lands on is terrible. It also looks plain bad. I would say it’s as bad Mutt fencing between two jeeps in the CGI jungle in KOTCS.

I like KotCS, so there’s that.

Author
Time

Has anyone ever rescored the Dooku fight in ROTS, or recreated the sound mix for any other reasons? The music in that scene doesn’t kick in until near the end, and I’ve never felt it was powerful enough (except for the decapitation drums), so I’m trying to replace it. The existing music ruins anything I try to dub over it though, unfortunately, so I’d have to recreate a portion of the 5.1 mix - not something I have much experience with, so I’m hoping someone else has done it before me in the 14 years this film has been out.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is really cool! While I don’t know if this restructure can totally work (it would make the runtime rather short), I hope you continue working on this so we can actually see what it looks like once it is all laid out that way. That’s the only way to know for sure.

I’ve always been on the fence on redubbing the aliens but I think it works here, and honestly it is perfect for a radical edit, because you can utilize it to fill in the logical gaps that a heavy restructure might create.

One suggestion: could you change “Capital” to “Coruscant” in their dialogue? At first I thought you just meant Theed, and not the capital of the Republic. If that is what you’re going for, at least. It could also help if her location is mentioned in the opening crawl.

I could talk more about this idea but honestly just keep it coming! If you need opinions or thoughts I’m definitely here for that.

Author
Time

snooker said:

Here’s a test of an idea proposed here https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Ecanem-Motnahp-Eht-The-Phantom-Menace-Reversed-Fanedit/id/48945

https://streamable.com/ittx8

I thought that idea was long dead. Seeing it in action is a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Love it!

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

Maybe Dooku could be seen in the Jedi Council in Episode 1? Of course he wouldn’t have any dialogue but this would help set up Episode 2 a little better

she/her

Author
Time

snooker said:

Maybe Dooku could be seen in the Jedi Council in Episode 1? Of course he wouldn’t have any dialogue but this would help set up Episode 2 a little better

This needs to happen! Dooku always seemed shoe-horned into the story.

Author
Time

There was some concept art for good/evil versions of various characters for Battle Front 4 (https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/5DsubZdeLNvKxKsVCBRHaB-650-80.jpg)

As far as shoe horning goes - I think they really missed an opportunity not linking Qui-Gon and Dooku into one character somehow.

Alternatively - what if Dooku is leader of the council in Episode 1? Or just swap Mace Windu with him as Yoda’s second in command?

Author
Time

I’ve got a hot take: Yoda should only appear once in the prequels, and it’s in his scene with Obi-Wan near the end of The Phantom Menace

she/her

Author
Time

snooker said:

I’ve got a hot take: Yoda should only appear once in the prequels, and it’s in his scene with Obi-Wan near the end of The Phantom Menace

Exactly! Whenever I’ve done prequel rewrites, Yoda has been exiled by the Jedi for dogmatic disputes. Only Obi-Wan (and Qui-Gon/Dooku) know where he is (Dagobah). That way, the ESB surprise is enhanced (instead of us laughing with Yoda, knowing he’s just messing around with Luke).

While it’d be impossible to totally cut Yoda from the three movies, one could chop him out in a three-in-one edit with some difficulty.

Author
Time

Honestly, I think it’s more fun knowing Yoda’s messing with Luke. I know with a project of mine I’ve been writing, I establish one character as working for the villain in her first scene instead playing her betrayal as a twist so you get to know her struggle get a more full picture. Sometimes saving reveals isn’t necessarily the best option.

Author
Time

I don’t even care about preserving the Yoda reveal in Empire, it’s just that he’s sooo boring in the prequelsssss.

she/her

Author
Time

snooker said:

I don’t even care about preserving the Yoda reveal in Empire, it’s just that he’s sooo boring in the prequelsssss.

Indeed! I like having the situational irony in ESB with Yoda (who we know from I, II, and III) screwing around to test Luke. You can even argue that Yoda gets a character arc as the result of his prequel appearances (pompous, dogmatic ass in the prequels becomes a humbled, humorous, wise, but still dogmatic master in the OT).

Still, my attitude towards prequel rewrites is to keep all of the OT twists intact. We never see Yoda, we assume Anakin (and/or an additional Obi-Wan pupil) is dead at the end of the trilogy, and we only see the birth of one kid.

Author
Time

snooker said:

I don’t even care about preserving the Yoda reveal in Empire, it’s just that he’s sooo boring in the prequelsssss.

I think adding Yoda’s laugh to certain exchanges would go along way to making him feel like he did during the OT. For example when Anakin say’s “cold sir.” Yoda could laugh at his misunderstanding.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For the climax of Phantom Menace to work, Anakin needs to be genuinely heroic, and not accidentally heroic.

https://streamable.com/igc27

I’ve seen many edits with similar thoughts to mine, except I’ve never really seen them rescore this section. In the original, Williams’ really plays into the childish aspect of Anakin’s character, which doesn’t fit if he’s doing all of this intentionally.

In order to do this I had to completely redo the sound design, I hope it sounds ok!

JEDIT: also, I plan on making my own Phantom Menace edit thread soon!

she/her

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m planning on re-editing the prequels into one film (yeah, I know that it has been done many times), in which The Phantom Menace is mostly removed, there is no Chosen One prophecy (because it’s a cliche, it’s never mentioned in the original or sequel trilogy, and it’s one of the main reasons the sequel trilogy undermines Return of the Jedi), and it focuses mostly on Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith (the bad dialogue will be trimmed). The only part of The Phantom Menace I’m keeping is the scene where Yoda allows Obi-Wan to train Anakin, and I’ll have it at the very, very beginning of the movie before the Lucasfilm logo shows up (similar to how some MCU movies have scenes that play before the Marvel Studios logo plays).

Author
Time

This is cool! Something else that I really like about your direction is how you’re not just trying to make changes to plot or characters, but you’re also trying to make it feel more in line with the OT by changing the score, color grade and sound design. I think it is sort of a balancing act, trying to find the right amount of change, but I think you’re going in the right direction.

Are you considering having Anakin fly straight through the trade federation ship or just land in it? It has been done before but is something I’ve considered doing myself.

Author
Time

Anakin being stuck alone on the Federation ship is a great beat of drama that I don’t want to lose.

she/her

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RogueLeader said:

This is cool! Something else that I really like about your direction is how you’re not just trying to make changes to plot or characters, but you’re also trying to make it feel more in line with the OT by changing the score, color grade and sound design. I think it is sort of a balancing act, trying to find the right amount of change, but I think you’re going in the right direction.

Are you considering having Anakin fly straight through the trade federation ship or just land in it? It has been done before but is something I’ve considered doing myself.

If you’re talking to me, I said that the only scene in TPM that I’ll include is the scene where Yoda allows Obi-Wan to train Anakin as a Jedi. (We can have Obi-Wan meet Anakin as a pilot off-screen to be more in line with Obi-Wan’s dialogue in RotJ)

And because I’m re-editing the prequels into a 3-in-1 Anthology film, when I re-edit IV-IX, I’ll rename them to I-VI.

My viewing order will be: Rogue One, ANH:R HD, ESB:R, the 3-in-1 prequel Anthology edit, RotJ:R, TFA (NevarGreat), TLJ (my upcoming edit), and TRoS (my upcoming edit). Solo is kicked out from this (because Darth Maul will be cut entirely from my 3-in-1 prequel edit, and his cameo will confuse viewers as he doesn’t appear in the prequel edit).

Author
Time

snooker said:

Anakin being stuck alone on the Federation ship is a great beat of drama that I don’t want to lose.

Understandable. Honestly, while I like the idea, there really isn’t enough to work with to make it totally seamless so it probably would be better to stick with what works anyway.

TNT, I was speaking to snooker but your idea sounds interesting too! It’ll be cool to see it.

Author
Time

I like it, Snooker! I’m curious to see where you’ll go with the edit.

TNT, I always likes 3-in-1, so I’m curious about how you’ll handle it. I’m a Blackened Mantle guy, an edit where I liked the decisions made (fake subtitles paired with the Japanese dub, Grievous is Maul, etc.).

Author
Time

snooker said:

For the climax of Phantom Menace to work, Anakin needs to be genuinely heroic, and not accidentally heroic.

https://streamable.com/igc27

I’ve seen many edits with similar thoughts to mine, except I’ve never really seen them rescore this section. In the original, Williams’ really plays into the childish aspect of Anakin’s character, which doesn’t fit if he’s doing all of this intentionally.

In order to do this I had to completely redo the sound design, I hope it sounds ok!

JEDIT: also, I plan on making my own Phantom Menace edit thread soon!

Yes again snooker! I’ll have to give it a good listen later with my head phones but yeah! Your use of the OT score in your clips is excellent as well. I look forward to your thread! 😁

MyYouTubeChannel