Sign In

The Prequel Era Has Ended, Long Live the Original Trilogy!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was reminded once again by this new video that we are indeed entering into a new golden age of Star Wars content. We spent a decade on the Prequels and now the focus has finally come back to the Original Trilogy and I'm loving it.

Who knows what VII may hold but until then it's going to be a fun ride.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

I've been feeling this since I started looking at the Black Series figures in stores. I'm seeing fewer and fewer PT-related things these days, and more and more OT-related things. Retro packaging on toys in the stores, giant OT vehicles, no more PT characters on the cards...

With the Rebels announcements and concept art and what not, as well as the material seen since then, including the amazing video Tobar links above, which has some great moments (that Ralph McQuarrie book looks incredible), it really came home that we've all made it out of our "Dark Times". The PT Era really is over.

I'm not sure what 1977 felt like, but it really must have been something like this. It's like going back in time to when Star Wars was just Star Wars.

It's a beautiful time to be a Star Wars fan, and, with the OT-focused mentality we're seeing from Disney, hopefully it stays that way.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

Tobar said:

I was reminded once again by this new video that we are indeed entering into a new golden age of Star Wars content. We spent a decade on the Prequels and now the focus has finally come back to the Original Trilogy and I'm loving it.

Who knows what VII may hold but until then it's going to be a fun ride.

 http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/REMINDER-Image-Sizes-in-Signatures/topic/10616/

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I see the part about animated gifs but that's for signatures and that image is not my signature.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time

You're right. This is what I get for looking at the site when I'm tired.

Please think of our members on slower connections and mobile devices when posting very large gifs though. Anything over a megabyte is pushing it a tad.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Yeah I agree large gifs are questionable which is why this one clocks in at just under an MB. ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I won't be convinced until the OOT gets a proper rerelease and the EU abandons the use of PT-styled Sith.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DuracellEnergizer said:

I won't be convinced until the OOT gets a proper rerelease and the EU abandons the use of PT-styled Sith.

Neither will I be convinced until they do both of those things and Episode VII isn't prequelized. Anything else is just lip service.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

I won't be convinced until the OOT gets a proper rerelease and the EU abandons the use of PT-styled Sith.

I don't really see a difference between OT Sith and PT Sith.

真実

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

I won't be convinced until the OOT gets a proper rerelease and the EU abandons the use of PT-styled Sith.

 Completely agree. Though I don't follow EU so I don't know the difference there.

Author
Time

And it wouldn't have happened, either, if it wasn't for Disney's intervention! The only thing left to do now, of course, is to bring the OUT out of its moratorium.

Ol’ George has the GOUT, I see.

Author
Time

darklordoftech said:

Which OT?

 This. The state of Star Wars has not improved without the OOT out.

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time

imperialscum said:

DuracellEnergizer said:

I won't be convinced until the OOT gets a proper rerelease and the EU abandons the use of PT-styled Sith.

I don't really see a difference between OT Sith and PT Sith.

 *sigh* I am not getting into this with you again.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

I won't be convinced until the OOT gets a proper rerelease and the EU abandons the use of PT-styled Sith.

 I fully agree on the Original films being properly released.  It would signal the studio's acknowledgement of their existence as valid, official films. The original story, if you will.  Which they most certainly are.  It will be a long time coming and finally end Lucas' weird and blatant lying.  He has some mental issues for sure and the fans have been made to suffer them.  Disney can correct this for us.

The EU is another matter entirely.  It's not a single entity (or in this case three) being squelched and damaged by a single individual who has no checks & balances.  The EU is a 35-year-old ongoing collection of works by over fifty individuals.  That will forever be a pick and choose as to what you accept or don't accept. 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Listen, it don’t really matter to me, baby.
You believe what you want to believe.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tyrphanax said:

I've been feeling this since I started looking at the Black Series figures in stores.

 Yeah, I was thinking this as well. The 6" range of OT figures out now and those to come certainly out number the PT characters. The only PT figures out now are Obi-Wan Kenobi (EP III) and Darth Maul. Clone Trooper and Anakin (EP III) out later.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Baronlando said:

http://starwars.com/news/announcing-an-exciting-new-array-of-star-wars-childrens-books.html

They're selling this kids book series about the original trilogy like it's meant to educate the demo that knows mostly the prequel/cartoon era.

Especially pleasing to me is the fact that among the images used to promote the book with the McQuarrie illustrations is his early ROTJ painting of two unfinished Death Stars in orbit over Had Abbadon/Coruscant.

“That Darth Vader, man. Sure does love eating Jedi.”

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:

The EU is another matter entirely.  It's not a single entity (or in this case three) being squelched and damaged by a single individual who has no checks & balances.  The EU is a 35-year-old ongoing collection of works by over fifty individuals.  That will forever be a pick and choose as to what you accept or don't accept. 

It'd still be nice for me to read something new involving the Sith that didn't blatantly hit me over the head with prequelisms.

Author
Time

DuracellEnergizer said:

Anchorhead said:

The EU is another matter entirely.  It's not a single entity (or in this case three) being squelched and damaged by a single individual who has no checks & balances.  The EU is a 35-year-old ongoing collection of works by over fifty individuals.  That will forever be a pick and choose as to what you accept or don't accept. 

It'd still be nice for me to read something new involving the Sith that didn't blatantly hit me over the head with prequelisms.

Agreed. This is why I'll always see the decision to set KOTOR so close to TOTJ as a jump the shark.

Author
Time

FrankT said:

And it wouldn't have happened, either, if it wasn't for Disney's intervention! The only thing left to do now, of course, is to bring the OUT out of its moratorium.

 I agree. This will be all worth it if Disney releases the OUT. Even if the sequels totally suck.

Author
Time

generalfrevious said:

FrankT said:

And it wouldn't have happened, either, if it wasn't for Disney's intervention! The only thing left to do now, of course, is to bring the OUT out of its moratorium.

 I agree. This will be all worth it if Disney releases the OUT. Even if the sequels totally suck.

Exactly. The PT-OT war will end when that happens.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

We are now in exciting times, but I will say that it's nothing like it was in '77 because back then, we didn't know what to expect. Upon its release we had one film, a novel tie-in, Topps cards and very little merchandise (and some of it was bootlegged crap--e.g.,"Darth VADAR Lives").  Pales in comparison to today…well, the film WAS unaltered back then...

Furthest from the bright center of the universe

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The "Vadar" stuff was originally licensed, someone just screwed up on the spelling, and it was never corrected. The bootleggers did chop off the copyright information though.

Nobody knew how to spell Wookiee in the early days either. ;)

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?