This project is dead. I’m very sorry to all who donated. We will need to find a new print and start a new project for TPM 35mm to happen. Everything below is archived for transparency.
(old) Update: Scanning will go ahead (YAY!) If this project interests you please send a donation to poita, even a small donation is appreciated (see below). The full cost of this project will be around $2500+.
How to donate?
- Poita’s PayPal email address is here, or use the paypal.me/poit link.
- You can also send bitcoin or mine bitcoin (watch your electricity bill if you mine it). Address: 13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Donation deadline and amounts
- You can donate now, or next month, or even in the new year. Poita will continue accepting donations until further notice. There is no formal deadline on donations themselves.
- Every amount helps and is appreciated:
Honestly, ever dollar helps, and it doubles as an easy gauge as to whether people really want a project, or if they would just ‘like’ to see it.
That really goes for anyone’s projects, a buck or two or five is always appreciated, as much for the sentiment as for the offset of costs. A lot of people who work on these various projects put hundreds or even thousands of hours of their free time into making them happen, call in favours, take risks and spend more of their own money than is even vaguely sensible.
When you see people chip in anything to help, it really, well, helps. There have been many times sitting alone at 3am that you feel like giving up, looking at an A/B roll of frame #114003 for glitches you may have missed, or logging a missing frame, and then you get a ping with a message that someone in another timezone on the other side of the planet has donated five bucks, and an accompanying message that the movie held a special place in their life for their own special reasons, and you get a second wind - it keeps you going, and reminds you of your own passion for this stuff, and you keep plugging away it.
- If you’ve already donated you can of course feel free to donate again if you want to.
- The above info on donations is also relevant to all of poita’s projects, including the SE scanning.
Here is a 35mm Trailer scan, this is Jetrell Fo’s trailer and he very kindly allowed me to share it:
There is also a different scan of the same trailer shared by Williarob here.
You may have noticed in poita’s thread poita has the opportunity to scan the SE Trilogy in 4K triple-flashed with a damage matte. There is also a Phantom Menace print available that can be scanned at the same facility. To be scanned triple-flashed with damage matte would require 21TB of storage, scanned single-flashed can be done with 4TB. The prints (Phantom Menace and the SEs) and the scanner are only available for a short window, so it’s now or never if we wish to get this scanned. It is about $400 to ship the print (there’s also a rental charge).