Sign In

The Original Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 25

Author
Time

Sorry, I am terrible at writing. In regards to using Hayden as a force ghost over shaw, I would use an older looking hayden’s face to replace hayden’s “young” face as it is right now (AKA Shaw’s ghost replaced.) As for a “rational” the view can view Shaw’s Vader’s look and sound as a result of the “lava bath” one why he looks (even sounds?) different then Hayden.

So in my mind, having an older looking hayden at the age he would have been at the time of ROTJ instead of his “young” appearance. One can think when a jedi turns to a ghost they don’t get whatever ailments they had at the time … Obi wan isn’t just a floating top half when he got sliced, Yoda doesn’t have his cross eye, etc. etc. So we have older looking hayden, how he would have looked at that time of his death without the physical ailments he had.

Of course, this is if an edit is trying to, more or less, to use keep things “connected” with the PT on having Hayden’s force ghost at ROTJ. Although I understand the change Lucas made because of the PT and trying to connect it all together, but having him young at that time just didn’t make too much sense. Now that time has passed and we have Hayden closer to the age of Anakin at that time, it would visually make more sense using him NOW to replace young Hayden at ROTJ.

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time

Pretty much. Just do the subtle aging that Ascendant had in the close-ups and keep the outfit consistent with ROTJ/Ascendant. The change’s main goal will be to give the Hayden ghost a warm and proud expression akin to Shaw’s, as well as a less jarring link between head and body (i.e., maybe don’t use Shaw’s body).

Author
Time

The hard part really is just finding appropriate footage of Hayden to use. I’ve scanned through ROTS a few times (and the various deleted scenes) and never found anything at the right angle or which wouldn’t be a super obvious lift.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

sade1212 said:

The hard part really is just finding appropriate footage of Hayden to use. I’ve scanned through ROTS a few times (and the various deleted scenes) and never found anything at the right angle or which wouldn’t be a super obvious lift.

There’s the scene of him saying goodbye to Obi-Wan, or the balcony scene with Padme.

I mean this is a pretty great smile

My Star Wars Fan-Edits
Proud creator of Dinosauria: Ascension, Domination, Downfall

Author
Time

I think maybe you could take from a recent interview or something since he’s a little older now which would make the aging up a little easier, you would probably just have to make his hair a little longer.

Author
Time

G&G-Fan said:

sade1212 said:

The hard part really is just finding appropriate footage of Hayden to use. I’ve scanned through ROTS a few times (and the various deleted scenes) and never found anything at the right angle or which wouldn’t be a super obvious lift.

There’s the scene of him saying goodbye to Obi-Wan, or the balcony scene with Padme.

I mean this is a pretty great smile

Eh, it looks better later in the shot and a few shots later, with teeth showing. This nails it more:

Still, the lighting would make it very obvious that it’s not from the original. Some method of fixing it would be needed, but that’s simple.

Still, I’d say manipulation of more straight-on shots, interview footage from now, and/or deepfakery would do the trick.

Author
Time

An older Hayden would be great but it would be better if Vader wasn’t like an old british guy when the mask comes off. I wonder if there’s something you could do to the face or voice to make it more like Hayden. I’ve seen a deepfake that tries it but it’s not very convincing.

Author
Time

G&G-Fan said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

Any idea how we could give Han and Leia something to do in RotJ?

Wdym they had a lot to do, that shield generator didn’t self-destruct

It’s not that they didn’t do anything per se, it’s just that their development arcs are the weakest in ROTJ, particularly Han’s.

Author
Time

Knight of Kalee said:

G&G-Fan said:

Anakin Starkiller said:

Any idea how we could give Han and Leia something to do in RotJ?

Wdym they had a lot to do, that shield generator didn’t self-destruct

It’s not that they didn’t do anything per se, it’s just that their development arcs are the weakest in ROTJ, particularly Han’s.

Han was definitely the weakest. If doable, I would remove his jealousy thing with Luke and Leia on “Teddy Bear Acceptance Night” and also cut off the line about not getting in the way of the two at the end of the battle. Felt very off, didn’t make sense and out of character.

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time

Just a wild thought, but what if Han had more trouble integrating into the rebellion and his every day live after his time frozen in carbonite?

For example he could want to lead the fighter squadron but must realize that his eyesight isn’t good enough yet.

So we could give him insecurities about himself that he might project at his relationship with Leia. And this tension would be resolved by the “I love you”,“I know” scene. (the one by the bunker, where Leia gets shot and shoots the two troopers)

Any thoughts?

Albus Percival Wulfric Fucking Brian Dumbledore

Author
Time

Firstly Han should miss the Sarlacc’s tentacle, instead Luke hits it via deflecting a blaster bolt.
Then make some changes to the briefing room scene, so that Han is supposed to lead the fighter attack and Leia leads the ground forces. I have no idea how to do that yet, maybe redub General Madine.

And then we nee a scene where Han talks to Lando and tells him to lead the fighter squadron in his stead. Two scenes might work as a template, the hangar scene where Han tells Lando to take the falcon or their short conversation before the briefing begins. The only really difficulty should be the dialogue.

And while I’m at it here is another idea. Maybe have Han offer to help doing repairs to the falcon and Lando declines explaining that no repairs are necessary. Just a little notch adding to Han’s feeling of uselessness as in his absence the falcon has finally been fully repaired.

Anyways as you can see I am really just brainstorming over here.

Albus Percival Wulfric Fucking Brian Dumbledore

Author
Time

So, this might not be the most radical of ideas and I don’t know how feasible it is, but I was watching this video today (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-D-488Yxk) and I thought it would be interesting to maybe try to add some realistic in-camera like effects and glows to scenes with lightsabers from both the Original Trilogy and the Prequel Trilogy.

In the video, it shows how they did this sort of thing with their own short (at 11:25). Plus, I think it would make the whole saga more cohesive since it is kind of strange that you don’t really get natural glow on the pre-2015 movies whenever they use their lightsabers.

I don’t know, it’s just something that I think would be cool.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Emulating the glow in post sounds like hell, but I wouldn’t put it past modern VFX. In fact, I recall someone doing just that with Palpatine’s face in the scene where he reveals to Anakin he’s the Sith Lord. The result was negligible imo, but only because they were intentional subtle about it. You could easily dial it up.

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Emulating the glow in post sounds like hell, but I wouldn’t put it past modern VFX. In fact, I recall someone doing just that with Palpatine’s face in the scene where he reveals to Anakin he’s the Sith Lord. The result was negligible imo, but only because they were intentional subtle about it. You could easily dial it up.

I know, right? Why would you go through all that work to produce no visible result?!

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

Random, admittedly half-baked idea: turn the TROS scene of Palpatine talking to Pryde into an ANH scene of Palpatine talking to Tarkin. Don’t know how feasible that would be, but it might be a good way of incorporating the Emperor into an alternate version of the only Lucas movie in which he doesn’t appear:

“The princess of Alderaan has disrupted my plan. But her foolish act will be in vain…send the Death Star to a world they know. Let it burn.”

Co-author of STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER - THE TEAM DALE REWRITE

Author
Time

Cadavra said:

Random, admittedly half-baked idea: turn the TROS scene of Palpatine talking to Pryde into an ANH scene of Palpatine talking to Tarkin. Don’t know how feasible that would be, but it might be a good way of incorporating the Emperor into an alternate version of the only Lucas movie in which he doesn’t appear:

“The princess of Alderaan has disrupted my plan. But her foolish act will be in vain…send the Death Star to a world they know. Let it burn.”

That actually sounds pretty cool!

My Star Wars Fan-Edits
Proud creator of Dinosauria: Ascension, Domination, Downfall

Author
Time

Thanks! And come to think of it, it’d be best to cut out “let it burn,” partly because menacing lines about letting stuff burn are a more modern trope that might feel out of place in the original film, but mostly so it’s not a completely foregone conclusion that Alderaan is toast regardless of whether Leia cooperates.

Co-author of STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER - THE TEAM DALE REWRITE

Author
Time

Cadavra said:

Thanks! And come to think of it, it’d be best to cut out “let it burn,” partly because menacing lines about letting stuff burn are a more modern trope that might feel out of place in the original film, but mostly so it’s not a completely foregone conclusion that Alderaan is toast regardless of whether Leia cooperates.

Yeah that’s a good idea. I also think it’d be cool to add a shot of Vader watching as to not show Prydes face and also to just acknowledge that he’s there.

My Star Wars Fan-Edits
Proud creator of Dinosauria: Ascension, Domination, Downfall

Author
Time

Cadavra said:

Random, admittedly half-baked idea: turn the TROS scene of Palpatine talking to Pryde into an ANH scene of Palpatine talking to Tarkin. Don’t know how feasible that would be, but it might be a good way of incorporating the Emperor into an alternate version of the only Lucas movie in which he doesn’t appear:

“The princess of Alderaan has disrupted my plan. But her foolish act will be in vain…send the Death Star to a world they know. Let it burn.”

That would be an awesome way of getting some Emperor in ANH!