Sign In

The Original Trilogy Radical Redux Ideas Thread — Page 22

Author
Time

EddieDean said:

Anything that makes that whole scene consensual is a massive value add as far as I’m concerned.

But does it really do that? I agree with the statement, that anything that makes this scene consensual is an improvement, yet I don’t see how this extra line fixes this issue.

See originally the scene reads to me like this:
-Leia is fixing the falcon and Han comes in
-Han tries to help, Leia says No
-Han becomes pushy, Leia says No, No, No, No
KISS
-3PO enters the chat

With the line in question it reads more like this:
-Leia is fixing the falcon and Han comes in
-Han tries to help, Leia says No
-han becomes pushy, Leia says No, No, No, No
KISS
-Leia says: “Alright Hotshot” by saying no I actually meant yes
-3PO enters the chat

See what I mean? Maybe it would help better to implement that line before they kiss? But I don’t really know how much it would help, if that’s even possible.
Anyways, as usual, I would enjoy to hear your voice on this and whether you agree with my reading of the scene or why you don’t.
Have a nice weekend.

“Fight Less, Talk More, Say Sorry Sometimes.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That is a totally fair point, Peter. I actually think someone else made this same point.

In a way, adding Leia’s reciprocating kiss would be the writer’s/director’s way of validating Han’s behavior through Leia, making it seem okay. He acts predatory, and Leia says no, but then Han kisses her, and she rewards him by then kissing him back and wrapping her arms around him.

At least in the way it is edited theatrically, the very least Leia does is sort of go along with the kiss after Han initiates it. But after 3PO interrupts them, she leaves without saying anything else to Han.

It is still not great. It’s sort of a lose/lose either way you go, with what we have to work with. So in a way, it’s better to leave it as-is, and don’t have Leia verbally condone his behavior.

Author
Time

Peter Pan said:

EddieDean said:

Anything that makes that whole scene consensual is a massive value add as far as I’m concerned.

With the line in question it reads more like this:
-Leia is fixing the falcon and Han comes in
-Han tries to help, Leia says No
-han becomes pushy, Leia says No, No, No, No
KISS
-Leia says: “Alright Hotshot” by saying no I actually meant yes
-3PO enters the chat

I see your point, but it retroactively characterizes Leia’s “no”, and Harrison Ford’s acting makes them feel more like equals when it comes to the power dynamic going on. It’s a huge improvement in my eyes.

Death of the Author

Author
Time

Maybe it would help better to implement that line before they kiss?

That’s what I said to do.

Author
Time

Interesting. Did it just conveniently sync up with her saying, “No you’re not, you-“ or whatever?

At that point, I wonder why you couldn’t just insert that line into the theatrical version of the film.

Author
Time

Totally valid point, Peter. I agree that it doesn’t go far enough, but it’s better than the original. I’m not a woman and I’ve never been in a nonconsensual situation like that though so I’m not qualified to comment further.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RogueLeader said:

Interesting. Did it just conveniently sync up with her saying, “No you’re not, you-“ or whatever?

Yes it did.

At that point, I wonder why you couldn’t just insert that line into the theatrical version of the film.

I was toying around with Sade’s edit anyway, so I left it at that, but you could easily use the thatrical footage.

Although you would loose Han’s priceless reaction on 3PO 😉

“Fight Less, Talk More, Say Sorry Sometimes.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Peter Pan said:

RogueLeader said:

Interesting. Did it just conveniently sync up with her saying, “No you’re not, you-“ or whatever?

Yes it did.

At that point, I wonder why you couldn’t just insert that line into the theatrical version of the film.

I was toying around with Sade’s edit anyway, so I left it at that, but you could easily use the thatrical footage.

Although you would loose Han’s priceless reaction on 3PO 😉

Wow, works really well. Gotta do something to clean up that set sound of course, and the little specks, otherwise great. Really an efficient solution, giving her consent beforehand even if it’s quick, although in this case how quick it is just makes it almost seem like they’re both going in for the kiss.

Author
Time

I thought one of those Star Wars 2 type reimagining edits might benefit from it.

Author
Time

Can we maybe agree on a blanket ban on saying ideas belong in the Worst Edit Ideas thread? I understand that people generally say it as joke, but it’s not a particularly positive or constructive thing for someone to hear when they float an idea.

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars

Author
Time

CaptainFaraday said:

Can we maybe agree on a blanket ban on saying ideas belong in the Worst Edit Ideas thread? I understand that people generally say it as joke, but it’s not a particularly positive or constructive thing for someone to hear when they float an idea.

I agree with Captain Faraday

Death of the Author

Author
Time

Anakin Starkiller said:

Deepfake monkey eyed TESB Palpatine into RotJ with an AI or impressionist Clive Revill voice.

To be honest, I’d like to see this. Not that I’d want to replace the original…

YouTubers!
Attack of the Clones | Alternate Timeline Edit
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/SSWRs-Attack-of-the-Clones-Alternate-Timeline-Edit/id/66888
My OLD Return of the Jedi thread. Be gentle.
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/ROTJ-Fan-O-Matic-3-new-clips/id/7919

Author
Time

Well yeah, of course it’d be an alternative version, not a definitive one. Actually, maybe it’d be interesting following that path further and artificially de-specializing the films to look like one might imagine they originally looked like but didn’t actually.

Author
Time

snooker said:

“Moff Jerjerrod”

Note: After doing this test I realized why Adywan decided against doing it 😦

“Obi-Wan’s Lightsaber…”

Instead of Luke bringing his saber to Vader, he goes unarmed. Vader decides to show Luke one of his trinkets from the past.

And here’s the one that I’m really excited about:

WATCH THE GIF BEFORE OPENING THE SPOILER

https://gfycat.com/DefensiveOldfashionedGreatwhiteshark


Luke takes Vaders saber from his belt, then this happens:

Was this lightsaber swap ever done for the whole scene? Or just this one proof-of-concept shot?

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve been wondering about how to have an onscreen reveal of Vader learning Luke’s identity in ESB and I think it might be possible if you repurpose the Admiral Ozzel Force Choke call into one between Vader & Boba Fett.

(Since I’m using a foreign language dub for my edit I’m working without the spoken-words-matching-meaning constraint but since my plan involves two characters wearing full-face masks, I think a lot of this could still apply.)

Mockup to come, but here’s how I’d tackle it at the start of ESB:

  • Pan down on Executor and Vader in chamber as General Veers leaves and he turns to make call.
  • Tune in on Fett taking the call, as good of a straight-on head shot as possible. (If you could have him in the Slave 1 pilot seat, that would be better.)
  • Vader asks for his report.
  • Fett says he’s still looking but he has found a name for the boy: Skywalker.
  • Silent beat on Vader.
  • Fett says Vader?
  • Vader says continue your search.
  • Fett signs off As you wish. Hangs up.
  • Vader spins back around.
  • Vader walking to the bridge window.
  • Vader looks out & says Skywalker.

Along with this I would tweak the crawl to change ‘young Skywalker’ to ‘the young pilot’. And I would not have Palpatine say Skywalker’s name specifically in his Skype with Vader, so the Emperor just knows this Rebel kid is powerful & dangerous and wants Vader to kill him.

If you didn’t know Vader was Skywalker, Fett’s info could just be a shock to Vader that the Jedi he killed had a kid and his later deflection of Palpatine’s order could be read as just serving his master.

If you do know he’s Luke’s father, you get to see his shock at finding out he has a son (and that Palpatine lied to him if you’d seen ROTS) and could be seen in hindsight as the start of him hatching an actual plan to use Luke for his revenge on Palpatine.

Plus it kinda makes Fett stand out a little more as Vader’s bounty hunter of choice.

“That’s not how the Force works!”

Author
Time

GMatias said:

I’ve been wondering about how to have an onscreen reveal of Vader learning Luke’s identity in ESB and I think it might be possible if you repurpose the Admiral Ozzel Force Choke call into one between Vader & Boba Fett.

(Since I’m using a foreign language dub for my edit I’m working without the spoken-words-matching-meaning constraint but since my plan involves two characters wearing full-face masks, I think a lot of this could still apply.)

Mockup to come, but here’s how I’d tackle it at the start of ESB:

  • Pan down on Executor and Vader in chamber as General Veers leaves and he turns to make call.
  • Tune in on Fett taking the call, as good of a straight-on head shot as possible. (If you could have him in the Slave 1 pilot seat, that would be better.)
  • Vader asks for his report.
  • Fett says he’s still looking but he has found a name for the boy: Skywalker.
  • Silent beat on Vader.
  • Fett says Vader?
  • Vader says continue your search.
  • Fett signs off As you wish. Hangs up.
  • Vader spins back around.
  • Vader walking to the bridge window.
  • Vader looks out & says Skywalker.

Along with this I would tweak the crawl to change ‘young Skywalker’ to ‘the young pilot’. And I would not have Palpatine say Skywalker’s name specifically in his Skype with Vader, so the Emperor just knows this Rebel kid is powerful & dangerous and wants Vader to kill him.

If you didn’t know Vader was Skywalker, Fett’s info could just be a shock to Vader that the Jedi he killed had a kid and his later deflection of Palpatine’s order could be read as just serving his master.

If you do know he’s Luke’s father, you get to see his shock at finding out he has a son (and that Palpatine lied to him if you’d seen ROTS) and could be seen in hindsight as the start of him hatching an actual plan to use Luke for his revenge on Palpatine.

Plus it kinda makes Fett stand out a little more as Vader’s bounty hunter of choice.

I really like this idea.

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ANH has a lot of “show, don’t tell” problems in regards to Luke’s piloting ability up until the trench run. I’m surprised nobody’s rendered a short sequence of the T16 Skyhopper zooming around Beggar’s Canyon to insert immediately before the theatrical introduction to Luke.

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars

Author
Time

The movie also takes pains to show how Luke feels constrained by his life on the farm, so showing him in his element from the get-go would probably send the wrong message about his arc. I also like how his piloting ability is talked about but never seen until the end of the film - it’s a promise that gets a resounding payoff.

Basically, I think Luke’s piloting ability does tell, it’s just delayed for dramatic effect.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

Yeah, and it’s not like it’s a throwaway line setting up a random ability he has, it’s a character defining trait.

Author
Time

I think a lot of his introduction would need to be impossibly changed for it to work (eg, dialogue with Uncle Owen). I agree with your assessments - I’m personally of the opinion that the theatrical ANH works perfectly as it is - but that said, I still think it would be an interesting alternative version to see (like the Scene 38 short movie).

“It’s like rhymetry. They poem.” - Leorge Gucas

The Rise of Skywalker Expanded Edition by Rae Carson: The Faraday Edit, The Last Jedi: Stoic Edition, Revenge of the Sith: The Faraday Nudge, ROTS Ultracut: Order 66, Godzilla Vs Megalon, The Light Rises, Faraday Junior’s Star Wars