Sign In

The Mandalorian Episode 2: Search for the Jedi (WIP)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Having completed Episode 1… its time to move onto episode 2.

Please feel free to review and discuss episode 1 here
https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/The-Mandalorian-A-Vergence-in-the-Force-RT-2h-27mins-Released/id/74554

Working title for the second movie is “Search for the Jedi”

Here are the current changes:

Opening
Current Star Wars and Lucasfilm logos with 20th Century Fox Music
Classical Star Wars opening crawl
Classical Star Wars opening space pan using scene from Chapter 5 (The Gunslinger)
2 “in cockpit” shots added from Chapter 5 (The Gunslinger) to extend approach to Tatooine.
On planet approach trimmed and first shot of Pelli cut.
Opening scene scored using “Mando is back”

Chapter 9 (The Marshall)
Cut Pelli lines about buying the child.
Cut Pelli line “still don’t”.
Cut Pelli lines moaning about R5.
Shortened sequence where Mando travels to Moss Pelgo including cutting the Tusken Camp scene.
Shortened scene of Mando cruising through Moss Pelgo.
Cut Cobb Vanth Flashback sequence.
Cut Tusken Camp scene.
Reduced amount Tusken language used in battle plan scene.
Cut speeder return to Mos Pelgo scene and replaced with a transition wipe to a static shot of Moss Pelgo with camera zoom.
Cut Tusken arrival at Moss Pelgo
Cut Cobb Vanth drinking Tusken drink before the battle.
Cut Krayt Dragon retreating back into the Sarlaac pit.
Cut Mando “take care of the child”
Rescored Boba Fett’s intro scene with “Imperial Starfleet Deployed” from ESB.

Chapter 10 (The Passenger)
Cut Ambush Scene
Cut Pelli “I’m not a Rodian”
Cut reference to travelling sub light.
All scenes after Tatooine Hangar are cut.

Chapter 11 (The Heiress)
Transition from Tatooine Hangar to flipped hyperspace exit shot from Chapter 13 (The Jedi).
Heavily damaged Razorcrest approach cut.
Mando waking up cut.
Cut line about fuel and burning to a crisp.
“drop” into atmosphere cut and replaced with planetary approach shot from Chapter 10 (The Passenger) with X-wings removed.
Heavily damaged Razorcrest shots removed.
Razorcrest falling into ocean cut and replaced with bumpy landing shots from Chapter 10 (The Passenger) with zoom to hide fact that the child isn’t present. Added Mando line “looks like we made it”.
Trimmed opening Track scene to hide the heavily damaged Razorcrest.
Trimmed Frog reunion scenes.
Cut scene of the Mandalorians destroying the boat.
Cut Koska lines about hitting them hard and scanning for lifeforms.
Cut “which one”, “all of them” Imperial interaction.
Cut “close all the doors” shot.
Reduce pause after “in the cargo control area”

Manufactured scene where Mando discovers that Gideon may be alive:
Change Bo Katan line about the dark saber to add Moff Gideon’s name.
Add Mando “Moff Gideon is dead”.
Add Bo Katan “don’t believe everything you hear”.
Add Mando “If Gideon is alive” and run it into “I have to return to my ship, with the foundling”.
Add score from “the experiment” to add tension.

Cut shot of Imperial pilots when they realise they are about to die.
Cut scene where Mando gets his damaged ship back from the Mon Calamari.
Replace damaged ship exit from Trask with planetary exit and hyperspace jump from Chapter 3 (The Sin)

Chapter 12 (The Siege)
All scenes cut except

  1. Scene on Razorcrest of Mando and Grogu Drinking. Dialogue of Mando telling the child that he’s special and that they will find where he belongs used from Chapter 14 (The Tragedy).
  2. Republic cruiser scene where the tracking bacon on the Razorcrest is revealed.

Chapter 13 (The Jedi)
Opening lightsaber battle scene cut.
Cut reference to the Beskar staff from the Mando-Elspeth scene.
Add Ahsoka theme from “The Sorcerer” to Ahsoka’s introduction in the forest.
Cut reference to Ahsoka returning to the village and extend the scene using music from “the story”, then transition wipe to Mando and Grogu on the Razorcrest.
Cut entire village battle plot.
Cut Mando ”you made me a promise” and replace with “I’ve been quested with returning this child to the Jedi” from chapter 11 (The Heiress).
Shorten final Ahsoka shot to avoid excessive music swell.

Chapter 14 (The Tragedy)
Transition wipe to Razorcrect shot from Chapter 7 (The Reckoning).
Dialogue of Mando saying child is special is cut due to its use earlier in the movie.
Shot of the Razorcrest approaching Tython moved to later in the scene to imply space travel and time passage.
Cut stormtrooper “you idiot” line.
Cut Mando-Fennic dialogue about owing her from last time.
Reduce blaster fire bouncing off Beskar.
Move Gideon Imperial cruiser scene forward to site between Mando leaving Corvus and arriving on Nevarro.
Added scene of Mando walking through Nevarro from Chapter 3 (The Sin) to extend Nevarro arrival scene.

Manufactured Mando-Cara Dune Scene
Opens with reversed shot of the Marshall badge flip - Cara now flips it to Mando first.
Dialogue used from Chapter 15 (The Believer) to change the scene into Cara searching for Moff Gideon’s cruiser.
Images from Chapter 15 (The Believer) rotoscoped onto scenes of Cara using her terminal so that it now shows images of Gideon’s cruiser and its location rather then the prison registry.
Scored using “Brown Eyes”

Chapter 15 (The Believer)
All scenes cut except the Scene of Mando’s message to Moff Gideon - this is used as a spacer scene between Mando leaving Nevarro and arriving to meet the Mandalorians.

Chapter 16 (The Rescue)
The Capture of Dr Persching is moved to after the recruitment of the Mandalorians. Mando now travels straight from Nevarro to recruit Bo Katan.
Hyperspace exit of Imperial shuttle and Razorcrest inserted here and followed by the Capture of Dr Pershing.
Dr Pershing capture now cuts straight to his interrogation, implying that it takes place in space rather than on the desert planet.
Recut Darktrooper scene so that they sent “release” until fully charged.
Iris out to custom end credits.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

So having seen the first episode here are my initial thoughts:

  1. Gammorean fight planet to be cut and the opening crawl used to set the scene.
  2. Opening pan to Tatooine using footage from The Gunslinger.
  3. Either Cut Peli Motto or use dialogue from the Gunslinger to remove her familiarity with the child.
  4. Remove Cobb Vanth flashback scene.
  5. Use Cobb Vanth flashback scene with a couple of shots from Return of the Jedi to open the “crawl-free” version.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

smudger9 said:

So having seen the first episode here are my initial thoughts:

  1. Gammorean fight planet to be cut and the opening crawl used to set the scene.
    (…)
  2. Use Cobb Vanth flashback scene with a couple of shots from Return of the Jedi to open the “crawl-free” version.

1.Please,dont Man 🥺🥺🥺
5. I like the idea, but as well, in the opening crawl free version you could include the Gammorean intro as a set up 😀💪🏽

Anyway, dunno how the plot resolves, but maybe you could use a title of a classic SW book from the old EU. “The Mandalorian Armor” 😉 its always nice to do some nod/fanservice to the Old EU works.

Author
Time
  1. I’m agreeing with you smudger. It is a nice scene but not that important.
  2. agreed
  3. would suggest to use dialogue from the gunslinger, if it works
  4. agreed
  5. not sure for now, but probably will work
Author
Time

That first scene should definitely be cut.

As far as the rest of the episode, it will clearly be relevant, but we don’t know yet what all will be relevant. Chapter 9 is already the length of two Chapters from season 1. Until we know what all we’re getting, we can’t really make decisions about what to cut or keep (for story, I get that there was some epic action and such). Most of this episode doesn’t seem like it will be significant in the overarching plot, excepting the shot of Boba Fett at the end. If Fennec shows back up in season two, you could use The Gunslinger and just have the shot of Boba Fett as a lead-in for the end tag of that scene.

Author
Time

Here is a link to an edit I did of Din and Peli meeting again on Tatooine. Reducing the familiarity with the child and putting more of the focus on their history. Din clearly has a history with Tatooine (knowing Tuskin speak and has “spent much time there”. So I figured let’s just roll with it. I’m not usually a fan of off-screen history (Ch.6 the prisoner) but in this case, it is the only way I can see keeping most of the dialogue without cutting it completely or having to watch a side adventure episode (Ch.5 the gunslinger). I also trimmed a bit of the dialogue that seemed a bit bloated and unneeded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLIAY3DZzfeo-Uj73pvTqOCsWNZyXQ8M/view?usp=sharing

Author
Time
 (Edited)

WtarSars said:

Here is a link to an edit I did of Din and Peli meeting again on Tatooine. Reducing the familiarity with the child and putting more of the focus on their history. Din clearly has a history with Tatooine (knowing Tuskin speak and has “spent much time there”. So I figured let’s just roll with it. I’m not usually a fan of off-screen history (Ch.6 the prisoner) but in this case, it is the only way I can see keeping most of the dialogue without cutting it completely or having to watch a side adventure episode (Ch.5 the gunslinger). I also trimmed a bit of the dialogue that seemed a bit bloated and unneeded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLIAY3DZzfeo-Uj73pvTqOCsWNZyXQ8M/view?usp=sharing

Looks great. I’ve done exactly the same thing using the dialogue from the gunslinger and also used a segment to finish her “Mos Eisley” sentence.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

I think you should despecialize the news footage of the second death star using 4K83.

Author
Time

Since you’re working on this edit as the show airs, I’d love to see progress videos if you have time to post them!

Author
Time

WtarSars said:

Here is a link to an edit I did of Din and Peli meeting again on Tatooine. Reducing the familiarity with the child and putting more of the focus on their history. Din clearly has a history with Tatooine (knowing Tuskin speak and has “spent much time there”. So I figured let’s just roll with it. I’m not usually a fan of off-screen history (Ch.6 the prisoner) but in this case, it is the only way I can see keeping most of the dialogue without cutting it completely or having to watch a side adventure episode (Ch.5 the gunslinger). I also trimmed a bit of the dialogue that seemed a bit bloated and unneeded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLIAY3DZzfeo-Uj73pvTqOCsWNZyXQ8M/view?usp=sharing

Looks good, but this episode was just as much, if not far more, of a side-adventure. It’s also an hour, of a hypocritical 2-2½ hour film.

Unless the plan is for Mando Episode II to be all the Tatooine footage to be one film… then you could stitch Chapters 9 and 5 together along with the eventual proper introduction to Boba Fett.

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

WtarSars said:

Here is a link to an edit I did of Din and Peli meeting again on Tatooine. Reducing the familiarity with the child and putting more of the focus on their history. Din clearly has a history with Tatooine (knowing Tuskin speak and has “spent much time there”. So I figured let’s just roll with it. I’m not usually a fan of off-screen history (Ch.6 the prisoner) but in this case, it is the only way I can see keeping most of the dialogue without cutting it completely or having to watch a side adventure episode (Ch.5 the gunslinger). I also trimmed a bit of the dialogue that seemed a bit bloated and unneeded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLIAY3DZzfeo-Uj73pvTqOCsWNZyXQ8M/view?usp=sharing

Looks good, but this episode was just as much, if not far more, of a side-adventure. It’s also an hour, of a hypocritical 2-2½ hour film.

Unless the plan is for Mando Episode II to be all the Tatooine footage to be one film… then you could stitch Chapters 9 and 5 together along with the eventual proper introduction to Boba Fett.

I’ve got it cut down to 34mins, so it could be the opening act of a 2-hour movie.

In terms of stitching it together with chapter 5… at the moment I don’t see how those two threads can seamlessly follow on from each other. That may change once we see chapter 10.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

smudger9 said:

JakeRyan17 said:

WtarSars said:

Here is a link to an edit I did of Din and Peli meeting again on Tatooine. Reducing the familiarity with the child and putting more of the focus on their history. Din clearly has a history with Tatooine (knowing Tuskin speak and has “spent much time there”. So I figured let’s just roll with it. I’m not usually a fan of off-screen history (Ch.6 the prisoner) but in this case, it is the only way I can see keeping most of the dialogue without cutting it completely or having to watch a side adventure episode (Ch.5 the gunslinger). I also trimmed a bit of the dialogue that seemed a bit bloated and unneeded.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hLIAY3DZzfeo-Uj73pvTqOCsWNZyXQ8M/view?usp=sharing

Looks good, but this episode was just as much, if not far more, of a side-adventure. It’s also an hour, of a hypocritical 2-2½ hour film.

Unless the plan is for Mando Episode II to be all the Tatooine footage to be one film… then you could stitch Chapters 9 and 5 together along with the eventual proper introduction to Boba Fett.

I’ve got it cut down to 34mins, so it could be the opening act of a 2-hour movie.

In terms of stitching it together with chapter 5… at the moment I don’t see how those two threads can seamlessly follow on from each other. That may change once we see chapter 10.

Similarly, The Gunslinger could serve as the opening act. Have some of his conversation from Chapter 9 setting up that he’s also looking for another Mandalorian, he finds work first, then after saving the Child she gives him the information on Mos Pelgo. Chapter 9 becomes the second act adventure. Cut in the Boba/Fennec tease during those sequences, and lead into a third act that properly introduces conflict with Boba.

A large part of this is my belief that Fennec is alive and that we won’t see Vanth again. So, from where I’m standing, it seems far more likely for the events of The Gunslinger to come back than anything beyond the armour itself from The Marshal to come back again. The big action sequence is fun, but it’s not likely to have any real bearing on the story.

Author
Time

I dont See any reason why would he add a filler from s01 to this edit. What would be the point? 😀

Author
Time

szopman said:

I dont See any reason why would he add a filler from s01 to this edit. What would be the point? 😀

This is all while discussing how to include filler from s02…

Author
Time

I don’t feel like we need the prison episode, but again it was self-contained enough that if you wanted to you could edit it in with Chapter 10 material.

Author
Time

Well chapter 10 is massively disappointing. Major filler episode, but in the process the Razorcrest gets trashed so some, if not most, elements will need including.

Looking very briefly at it, it’s probably possible to cut the spider scenes and have Mando just repair the Razor before taking off. Frustratingly I don’t think I can keep the X-wing pilots landing without keeping the spiders.

The other potential option is to take the space battle from Gunslinger out of Episode 1 and put it into episode 2. That would allow pretty much the whole episode to be cut.

Much to ponder.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

I mean, we’ve seen them with the frog lady on that ship when they meet the mystery character in the cloak (presumably Chapter 11)… so while the spider section is episodic, this episode is far less “filler” than the last.

Author
Time

The other option going through my head is whether chapter 9, or even both 9 and 10, can be replaced by an opening crawl.

It would have to be well written to fit it into three micro-paragraphs. It could reference Mando’s search for the Mandalorians, his discovery of as set of Mandalorian armour on Tattooine and a run in with the new Republic.

Time will tell.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

Yeah… it’ll be hard to tell what is actually relevant until the full thing has aired.

Another option is to take the approach to Tatooine from Chapter 9 as your intro, then go to the Cantina scene in 10, and take the beginning of the travel with the fish lady. Cut from prior to the X-Wings, and go into the continuation of this mission in Chapter 11. That way the armour is explained in dialogue, setting up the act 1 mission, and we’re off to the races with Dyn meeting the hooded woman (again, presumably in Chapter 11 since he’s still with the frog lady in that scene from the trailer). This is all assuming this character is someone relevant to the story, like many of the theories that it’s Sabine from Rebels. You could cut out potential references to how damaged his ship is, and if he mentions needing repairs, his ship always needs repairs.

Author
Time

JakeRyan17 said:

Yeah… it’ll be hard to tell what is actually relevant until the full thing has aired.

Another option is to take the approach to Tatooine from Chapter 9 as your intro, then go to the Cantina scene in 10, and take the beginning of the travel with the fish lady. Cut from prior to the X-Wings, and go into the continuation of this mission in Chapter 11. That way the armour is explained in dialogue, setting up the act 1 mission, and we’re off to the races with Dyn meeting the hooded woman (again, presumably in Chapter 11 since he’s still with the frog lady in that scene from the trailer). This is all assuming this character is someone relevant to the story, like many of the theories that it’s Sabine from Rebels. You could cut out potential references to how damaged his ship is, and if he mentions needing repairs, his ship always needs repairs.

I’m not sure that cutting from the Tattooine exit straight to chapter 11 will work because of the state of the Razorcrest.

I’ve managed to cut out the spiders from chapter 10 and it works well. I’m at 57mins including crawl for the first 2 chapters. I’m going to leave it as a rough cut because its still not clear how essential these 2 chapters will be to the story.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

For me, most of the 1st EP should stay, most of the 2nd should go.
Maybe the transition shouild be from him saying it Will be a trouble to go without hyperspace, to him landing with the crashed space ship? It would be a humorous Way to show he was right, without gettin into details 😅
Im really curious how the season will go, and how structure wise to make it one or 2 movies

Author
Time

szopman said:

For me, most of the 1st EP should stay, most of the 2nd should go.
Maybe the transition shouild be from him saying it Will be a trouble to go without hyperspace, to him landing with the crashed space ship? It would be a humorous Way to show he was right, without gettin into details 😅
Im really curious how the season will go, and how structure wise to make it one or 2 movies

That’s what I’m leaning towards. I’m seriously considering using the Chapter 5 dogfight to bridge that gap and take it out of my first film.

Current Project: The Mandalorian Episode 2 - Search for the Jedi

Author
Time

Yeah, I still think most of Chapter 9 has zero bearing. Having a quarter of the season take up half or 2/5 the film seems like a lot. But… again, it’s early. We’ll see as it goes.

You might be able to start from Chapter 11, or whichever episode starts introducing the major recurring characters and villains.

Author
Time

smudger9 said:

szopman said:

For me, most of the 1st EP should stay, most of the 2nd should go.
Maybe the transition shouild be from him saying it Will be a trouble to go without hyperspace, to him landing with the crashed space ship? It would be a humorous Way to show he was right, without gettin into details 😅
Im really curious how the season will go, and how structure wise to make it one or 2 movies

That’s what I’m leaning towards. I’m seriously considering using the Chapter 5 dogfight to bridge that gap and take it out of my first film.

Perhaps another dog fight or damaging situation will happen this season that you can use.

Author
Time

I think we’re jumping the gun here. 9 and 10 can are nice filler episodes, but entirely irrelevant to the bigger picture. You can establish in the crawl that the Mandalorian is searching for others of his kind, and he is transporting a passenger to a planet in search of finding one. Then start with Episode 11.

Mando’s line in the cantina could be repurposed at some point to explain how he got Boba Fett’s armor. The only continuity issue is the ship being wrecked, but the Falcon’s hyperdrive got crummy between 4 and 5 so I don’t think that matters.

Maul- A Star Wars Story