Sign In

The Last Jedi appreciation thread

Author
Time

Ever since TLJ was released in cinemas people across the Internet have, for the most part, posted nothing but negative comments on the movie, claiming that it has ruined SW forever and that it’s one of the worst movies ever made.

I disagree. Personally I loved it and consider it the perfect SW movie, it is currently number one in my personal ranking of the SW movies. I also think the movie has a lot more fans than is apparent, otherwise it wouldn’t have been the box office success it has been, kinda like the Transformers movies, where everyone calls them garbage yet they have been very successful.

So, I have decided to create this thread for those who genuinely liked the movie.

NOTE: Please post only if you like the movie and have nice things to say about it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

fmalover said:

NOTE: Please post only if you like the movie and have nice things to say about it.

I don’t understand the need for this thread. There’s already a review/discussion thread, and if you don’t want anyone to say bad things about it, you probably shouldn’t be on the internet, certainly not an internet discussion forum.

And I say this as someone who really liked it.

Author
Time

Yeah, but for every positive comment made there are about 50 negative ones.

Author
Time

fmalover said:

Yeah, but for every positive comment made there are about 50 negative ones.

Go back and count each one again, I think you’ll be surprised. Remember to sift the review thread and the spoiler thread and report back to us.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Isn’t there a thread about why ROTJ is the best Star Wars movie? If that thread can exist, this one can too.

I think The Last Jedi is the most ambitious Star Wars movie yet. It makes cogent arguments for and against the existence of the Jedi, it truly widens the scope of the universe to include the perspective of the very rich and communicates their opportunism and human trafficking, it deftly upends the First Order and places Kylo on the throne in a way that is thematically satisfying, and it gives Rey, Poe and Finn arcs that genuinely move their stories forward.

It’s also the most visually striking of the numbered episodes with the most jaw-dropping Star Wars sequence ever put to screen.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

Isn’t there a thread about why ROTJ is the best Star Wars movie? If that thread can exist, this one can too.

Is there an ROTJ review thread that was made in the last 30 years?

Author
Time

Those of you who aren’t interested in the thread are welcome not to participate.

That goes for every other thread as well.

originaltrilogy.com Administrator

MTFBWY

Author
Time

I had a few qualms when I watched it in the theater back in December but they were mostly all squashed when I rewatched it on Bluray.

Plus the absolute vile dribble from certain corners of the fandom only solidifies my opinion. I can understand being disappointed or not thinking it’s your cup of tea, but to say that it ruined Star Wars/your childhood/etc is just hyperbole.

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time

Jay said:

Those of you who aren’t interested in the thread are welcome not to participate.

That goes for every other thread as well.

It seems exceedingly weird to need a thread where a movie you like is safe from criticism. It’s a discussion forum for god’s sake. But if you want to allow a thread where no dissent is allowed, it’s your forum.

Author
Time

Fair enough, with two review threads I’d have thought this was redundant and verging on wummery before anyone posted.

On topic though TLJ… was pretty good.

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time
 (Edited)

We don’t need a TLJ appreciation thread - we just have a TLJ appreciation thread.

We don’t need several new new thread threads or 5th, 6th, 13th day of Christmas threads or whatever it was late last year - though we had them.

For a Star Wars film that polarisied so many amongst it’s fan base - and given some of the oft-repeated negative posts in the TLJ opinion thread that seemingly took centre-stage over the more positive or neutral viewpoints or aspects - it doesn’t seem a bad idea to have one… and see how it goes.

There may be a few posts that give some people pause for thought or re-think their viewpoint on certain scenes or parts of the film - who knows? Maybe some people would just like to talk about certain scenes they enjoyed without someone piling in with negativity… let’s give it a chance.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For me the cinematography, style and feel really stood out in a good way - helping immerse the viewer into the film:-

^ just a few images from a quick image search

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

It seems exceedingly weird to need a thread where a movie you like is safe from criticism. It’s a discussion forum for god’s sake. But if you want to allow a thread where no dissent is allowed, it’s your forum.

What a strange time we live in where I’m actually in agreement with Frink for once…

Anyway if this is the “optimism thread” I will say the cinematography is gorgeous. I may not like the content of the film itself but it’s damn pretty to look at.

Author
Time

yep. 10/10 cinematography. 10/10 performance by hamill, too.

Author
Time

Ryan-SWI said:

TV’s Frink said:

It seems exceedingly weird to need a thread where a movie you like is safe from criticism. It’s a discussion forum for god’s sake. But if you want to allow a thread where no dissent is allowed, it’s your forum.

What a strange time we live in where I’m actually in agreement with Frink for once…

I hope it’s clear that I feel this way about any subject. It’s weird to have a thread where you are not allowed to criticize the topic.

I’m on record as having really enjoyed TLJ so it has nothing to do with that at all.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

oojason said:

We don’t need a TLJ appreciation thread - we just have a TLJ appreciation thread.

We don’t need several new new thread threads or 5th, 6th, 13th day of Christmas threads or whatever it was late last year - though we had them.

Those are joke threads (mainly), the creation of which was done for entertainment purposes. I didn’t make a third new thread thread because we needed it or because it was even useful, I made it because someone else made a comment in an earlier one that naturally led to the creation of that one, with an increasingly silly thread title. And the other threads are now the ones that are no longer useful and that one is the current one.

I’m not still arguing against that thread. Jay has made his position clear. I’m just pointing out that this is clearly not the same situation as that one.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

I hope it’s clear that I feel this way about any subject. It’s weird to have a thread where you are not allowed to criticize the topic.

I’m on record as having really enjoyed TLJ so it has nothing to do with that at all.

Oh I know that. There are controversial Star Wars films I like but I still wouldn’t want an echo chamber to develop about them. My opinion is if you can’t acknowledge or discuss criticism then you must not be very comfortable with your position to begin with.

But anyway I don’t want to derail the thread or anything, so that’s neither here nor there.

Hamill’s performance was spectacular. It’s actually quite upsetting for me because there are things I adore about TLJ (mainly some of the acting and visuals), but it’s just the story and characterisation that completely ruins it for me to the point I can’t even sit through it anymore.

Hopefully one day I’ll be able to watch it properly again because I don’t think it’s a terrible film, just not the kind of film I wanted in the Star Wars universe. That’s just my opinion anyway.

Author
Time

Ryan-SWI said:

the story and characterisation that completely ruins it for me to the point I can’t even sit through it anymore.

not the kind of film I wanted in the Star Wars universe.

Reported for violating the thread rules. :p

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Ryan-SWI said:

the story and characterisation that completely ruins it for me to the point I can’t even sit through it anymore.

not the kind of film I wanted in the Star Wars universe.

Reported for violating the thread rules. :p

:’)