Sign In

The Last Jedi: Rekindled (Released) (V3 UPDATE!) — Page 42

Author
Time

Obi-wan (and anakin)should have made an appearance in this trilogy, having Obi-wan ,luke’s mentor beside him in death seems to be the best place to include him.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I guess I disagree that they “should have” made an appearance at all. That would have been pure fan service. If there was a place in the story for either of them, then sure. But there wasn’t, so trying to force an appearance where it isn’t organic is just going to be…well, forced, and unnecessary. That would have been true if Johnson had decided to toss Obi-Wan in there just because he felt obligated (see: Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek: Into Darkness) and it will be doubly true for any fan edit trying to jam him in there just because the editor thinks he needs to go somewhere.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ChainsawAsh said:

I guess I disagree that they “should have” made an appearance at all. That would have been pure fan service. If there was a place in the story for either of them, then sure. But there wasn’t, so trying to force an appearance where it isn’t organic is just going to be…well, forced, and unnecessary. That would have been true if Johnson had decided to toss Obi-Wan in there just because he felt obligated (see: Leonard Nimoy in Star Trek: Into Darkness) and it will be doubly true for any fan edit trying to jam him in there just because the editor thinks he needs to go somewhere.

Yes I agree that they shouldn’t be shoehorned into the story without purpose but for this case I don’t think it would feel forced, it’s all down to execution, and it would fit in well in the the context of letting go of the physical world, completing his mission and becoming one with the force. Obi wan would give him that extra push.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

At some point the farm boy from Tatooine needs to grow up and make his own wise decisions. And finally he did—-when he projected himself across the galaxy, sacrificing his life. Having Ben or Yoda or whoever pipe up and guide him at that point would undercut his final arc.

learn about my fanedits at https://krausfadr.wordpress.com/
heil palpatine.

Author
Time

I think it’s worth a try, if it’s executed well it would be a nice addition.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

krausfadr said:

At some point the farm boy from Tatooine needs to grow up and make his own wise decisions. And finally he did—-when he projected himself across the galaxy, sacrificing his life. Having Ben or Yoda or whoever pipe up and guide him at that point would undercut his final arc.

+1

idir_hh said:

I think it’s worth a try, if it’s executed well it would be a nice addition.

I don’t see any way it could be executed that wouldn’t feel like it’s out of left field and entirely unnecessary. But again, I’m willing to keep an open mind about it if someone gives it a try and it works. I just don’t see how it could.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

It’s not bad to have Ben’s voice— just not saying “let go.” Luke can’t die still a learner. He has to become a master. I think it’s just a lonely, solitary death on the mountain that might feel incomplete but that’s the exact death Luke was prepared for. He just got it saving the galaxy instead of hiding from it.

learn about my fanedits at https://krausfadr.wordpress.com/
heil palpatine.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

poppasketti said:

I played with the shuttle scene a little more tonight. The particles were a little too similar, so I added a few of the flickery sharp particles that better match the ship explosion (still very subtle). Also tweaked the color slightly, and added a tiny bit of vibration to the beginning of the first shuttle shot.

Shuttle Deleted Scene
https://vimeo.com/394579555
pw: fanedit

I love the vibration, anything to lower the locked down/static zoom of the original is great! Have you tried adding more/pushing it further?

I’m not suggesting it needs it, it already looks great, but I’d be interested to see a more ‘turbulent’ version just to have the comparison?

With regard to the particles, I’ve got AWFUL lighting ATM, the sun is glaring right onto my monitor so I just can’t see the finer details to make any sort of observation and hence offer any insight one way or another.

Since you are still playing with the shot, I did have a thought the other day, which I elected to not share because I don’t want to keep coming at you with suggestions…BUT since you are still tinkering:-

What about adding one or two faint flame elements into the reflection? As if the shuttle is just passing the last pieces of flaming debris when the shot picks up?

My thoughts were that you’d just see the faint reflection of a flame or two passing out of the shot and that would coincide with Finn seemingly throttling back on the controls? these subtle visual cues and elements would combine to indicate them now being clear of the destruction and hence Finn ‘backs it off’?

I thought it might add just a bit of extra 'seasoning’to it all?

Definitely keep it subtle, but I think having the colour of a few faint fire elements passing in the reflection would just add to the overall dynamics of the shot and further reduce it from looking so static?

Don’t get me wrong, after everything you have already done here, the shot doesn’t NEED it, especially as the shot before does show the shuttle getting clear and so ultimately, the effort to implement this might not even be worth it, but it was just an idea on what else could be added?

Author
Time

Poppa, great job with the latest videos! Changing the “targeting” makes the logical conclusion in the person’s mind when watching the crash scene. It’s little things like that that perfects thing. Marvelous!

Also, the same thing with the particles. You know how my eyes work and all, I see the difference in those two. Very nice. Even before when you added those effects it helped tie things in nicely.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Also, what about adding an Obi Wan line? I still don’t get the rationale for including this.

It isn’t necessary at all or adds anything helpful, it would be more distracting than anything, personally.

Recall too, Kylo/Ben already established in the movie previously between the first “force call/connection” with Rey that such a feat (Force Projection or whatever), the effort would kill a person (Jedi/Sith/Whatever.) So there literally is no need for someone/something to tell Luke after he does it to “let go” or “It’s ok, you can die now” or something.

I’m always up for hearing ideas and whatnot … but I respectfully couldn’t get behind it.

“Because you are a PalpaWalker?”

Author
Time

jarbear said:

Poppa, great job with the latest videos! Changing the “targeting” makes the logical conclusion in the person’s mind when watching the crash scene. It’s little things like that that perfects thing. Marvelous!

Also, the same thing with the particles. You know how my eyes work and all, I see the difference in those two. Very nice. Even before when you added those effects it helped tie things in nicely.

It just keeps getting better and better.

Also, what about adding an Obi Wan line? I still don’t get the rationale for including this.

It isn’t necessary at all or adds anything helpful, it would be more distracting than anything, personally.

Recall too, Kylo/Ben already established in the movie previously between the first “force call/connection” with Rey that such a feat (Force Projection or whatever), the effort would kill a person (Jedi/Sith/Whatever.) So there literally is no need for someone/something to tell Luke after he does it to “let go” or “It’s ok, you can die now” or something.

I’m always up for hearing ideas and whatnot … but I respectfully couldn’t get behind it.

Then why did it not kill either Kylo or Rey?

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

smpearce1981, I did actually already add to the push in. Not a bad idea about the flaming wreckage but that also might be a little too much, even if subtle. I don’t want these details to call attention to themselves. Still I can take a look!

As for the Obi-Wan idea, I really don’t think it would make the scene any better. It would be confusing for some younger viewers, and shocking for the rest (to suddenly hear Kenobi again), right in the middle of this beautiful moment when Luke peacefully departs. I just think the scene is perfect as it is, wordless.

Author
Time

krausfadr said:

ChainsawAsh said:

You could always use “Hello there!” Classic.

lol

Where’s Frink? Add that line a second or two after Luke vanishes.

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.

Author
Time

FreezingTNT2 said:

Then why did it not kill either Kylo or Rey?

In the scene jarbear is talking about during their first force connection, Kylo says to Rey: “You’re not doing this, the effort would kill you.”

Later, in the Throne Room, Snoke says: “It was I who bridged you’re minds.”

I’m not sure how this applies to TROS. I guess Palpatine continued their mind-link?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

poppasketti said:

FreezingTNT2 said:

Then why did it not kill either Kylo or Rey?

In the scene jarbear is talking about during their first force connection, Kylo says to Rey: “You’re not doing this, the effort would kill you.”

Later, in the Throne Room, Snoke says: “It was I who bridged you’re minds.”

I’m not sure how this applies to TROS. I guess Palpatine continued their mind-link?

I see… but why did it not kill Snoke?

On the subject of Palpatine, the final interaction between Rey and Kylo in The Last Jedi before the Falcon got off of Crait implied that the Force mind link is permanent after Snoke’s death.

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

I’m deffo not loving the idea of Obi-Wan making an appearance. Vocal or otherwise.

Poppa said it best. The scene is beautiful as it is. The imagery and the score let the audience know everything they need to know here.

It’s a tragic victory born out of the sacrifice of a classic character, who’s arc has finally come full circle

I can understand the sentiment of his mentor/father figure making contact in that moment to usher Luke into the afterlife, but it’s just not needed. The emotion of the moment is conveyed perfectly without anything else required?

Also in a more general sense (and not specifically relating to this scene) I think ‘we’ have to be really careful in recycling old lines of dialogue?

If you start implementing that as a solution too often or deploying it where it’s not absolutely needed to overcome a bigger issue, it only draws attention to itself and can pull you out of the experience where it just appears cheap and/or amateur?

The instances that I can remember where that technique has been applied, the most effective examples are where the editor has re-purposed words or sections of original dialogue and made something entirely new out of it?

Author
Time

FreezingTNT2 said:
I see… but why did it not kill Snoke?

Maybe this is isn’t made explicit, but I always got the impression that Kylo saying “the effort would kill you” implied that neither he or Rey were powerful enough to link their minds.

Snoke is the only one who could “safely” do it, aside from possibly Luke.

As for Luke’s projection, I always felt that it was something a bit more than just the mind-linking, since he was visible to everyone and for a longer period of time. So even a more-powerful Luke would be killed by it.

Again, this is not explicit, but this is the implication I got from the film.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

FreezingTNT2 said:
On the subject of Palpatine, the final interaction between Rey and Kylo in The Last Jedi before the Falcon got off of Crait implied that the Force mind link is permanent after Snoke’s death.

krausfadr said:
I always viewed it as Snoke originally bridged their minds. But the dyad kept the bridge going.

Good points, both make sense to me!

Author
Time

smpearce1981 said:

What about adding one or two faint flame elements into the reflection? As if the shuttle is just passing the last pieces of flaming debris when the shot picks up?

Done! Added some subtle flame and sparks to the beginning of the shuttle shot so you see them pass through the last big bits of the explosion. I even used some material from the cut space Leia scene for some of these elements.

Shuttle Scene
https://vimeo.com/394579555
pw: fanedit

With that, I think I’m pretty close to being locked on V3! If anyone sees any issues on the clips or workprint, please let me know, but I should be proceeding to final render encode pretty soon.

Author
Time

Can I have a link to the V3 workprint?

The unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequel and Disney trilogies is that they will always be around. Forever. They will never go away. It can never be undone.

I also prefer to be referred to as “TNT”, not “Freezing”.

Author
Time

TNT, pm sent.

I really don’t think the Obi-Wan callback will work. We haven’t had any direct reference to him in the first two sequel movies and to suddenly hear him here will be disorienting. I think the scene as-is gives the audience enough to see that Luke knew what he was doing and died at peace.