THE LAST JEDI REFORGED
First of all, I want to introduce myself. Hello everybody! As English is not my mother tongue, there will be mistakes and I apologize for this!
The first time I heard about fan-edits was on Youtube. I was disappointed about the theatrical cut of the Last Jedi and found a user named Ivan Ortega who claimed he would fix the whole movie. There was a little hype around his project, but in the end I didn’t like his final cut and overall behaviour. Plus the community around that project being very toxic, childish and misogynist, I didn’t want to have anything to do with it.
But I got interested in fan-edits, and that’s the positive side about it. This is how I found this forum and I was blown away the quality of the edits and the community! I love this place. My favorite editors are Hal 9000, Poppasketti, L8WRTR, DonKamillo, DigMod & TheFallenKnight (Clark Zuckerberg, even though I don’t know if he is here in this forum, cause I found his edits on reddit).
I watched many of these edits and found my favorite versions of Star Wars 1-7, Solo & Rogue One. The only problem I had in the end: I still didn’t like the Last Jedi. Most of the edits either removed too much or not enough for me.
So I took the decision to take the (in my opinion) best versions of The Last Jedi and “reforge” them to a cut that I would like.
I never wanted to publish my version, but then I thought that I wouldn’t have had the opportunity to watch these edits when their creators would have thought the same way. I want to give something back to the community, so here it is…
This is my first fan-edit, so there certainly will be weak spots. I have some basics knowledge of cutting a movie as I produced some mountainbike (amateur) movies a few years ago, but this project was on a whole other level. As Software I used Vegas Pro. I know there are better Programs around, but I am used to it and don’t want to learn everything again.
The biggest problem I had was with sourround-editing. I didn’t have any experience with that so I think there’s quite much room for improvement.
This edit is based on the fan-edits realized by Poppasketti (based on Hal 9000’s edit), DonKamillo & TheFallenKnight. So all the praise for their ideas and cuts belongs to them! It was too extensive to include everyone involved in these projects and I don’t even know everyone involved, so please take a look at these edits in the forums.
- There is no Canto Bight sub-plot. I feel sorry for Kelly Marie Tran as it’s not her fault, but this whole segment just doesn’t work for me and makes everyone involved look stupid in the end.
- No Canto Bight means less Finn and no DJ, Phasma & Maz. I don’t really miss these three, but Finn’s reduced screen time bugs me the most.
- Luke doesn’t throw away his Lightsaber, he gives it back (idea by DonKamillo).
- There is no daily routine of Luke on Ahch To. No milking, etc. The removed material is later used in another context (Reys training scene).
- I included the epic trailer music of Rise of Skywalker as main “Luke & Rey Theme” (the music was made by Samuel Kim, find him on Youtube, awesome music!).
- Leia doesn’t die (taken from TheFallenKnight-edit).
- General Hux is not/less silly.
- Poe and Holdo don’t have any dispute.
- Caretakers are in this edit (2 scenes). I think they are funny and the deleted scene is important for the plot (Lukes third lesson?).
- Porgs are in this edit (2-3 scenes). I think they are funny as well.
- Rose appears in the end as a side character. No love story, no saving Finn. They both are hit by a cannon (idea by Poppasketti/Hal).
- Luke’s Lightsaber in the final battle is green (Effects by ImmersionVFX)
- No broom ending (taken from TheFallenknight-edit).
- I included most Palpatine teases from Poppasketti’s edit.
- I used a disclaimer similar to this of Hal 9000 because most of my favorite edits are realized by him and I wanted continuity.
- Cut Poe/Hux Joke (taken from TheFallenKnight-edit).
- Bomber scene: Trimmed the time Paige takes to catch the remote (it still seems to take forever).
- Luke already holds the Lightsaber in his hands and gives it back to Rey (idea by DonKamillo, audio by Poppasketti/Hal). I had to cut the scene in which Rey walks towards Luke. I used material from a documentary about Skellig Michael instead.
- Rey doesn’t translate what Chewie is saying (taken from DonKamillo-Edit)
- Added “Luke mourning Han” deleted scene
- Luke isn’t milking, fishing & acting silly. After leaving his house, he climbs up the hill. Rey attempts to follow him, but is “called” by the Jedi Tree.
- In the Jedi-Tree: removed Reys line “I saw your daily routine” (as she didn’t in my edit).
- Leia doesn’t die. Kylo doesn’t pull the trigger & the Tie Fighters fly by. No explosion. Leia is alive the whole movie.
- The Caretakers appear the first time after Rey shoots a hole into the cabin.
Reys Training (made many changes here):
- I used the trailer music (RoS) to make Reys training scene more epic (music made by Samuel Kim).
- Luke doesn’t go away after Rey has destroyed the rock. Instead he watches her and she walks towards him.
- I used the removed footage from Luke’s daily routine scenes. Now you see Luke and Rey wandering around the Island. This includes the fishing scene. It’s left in the eye of the beholder if he really trains her or if she just follows him.
- the “training segment” ends with Rey standing under the Falcon. She seems to be happy.
- After the force connection scene between Rey & Kylo, Rey walks into the Falcon and talks to Chewie. I had to mirror one scene here.
- Admiral Holdo is introduced. I removed the “Leia is unconscious” part. Instead it’s just a motivational speech.
- After lesson two I inserted the deleted Caretakers village scene. I think, this scene has an important message and can be seen as Luke’s never released third lesson.
- When Luke is standing near sleeping Kylo he doesn’t hold a Lightsaber. Instead he only uses it to defend himself (taken from DonKamillo-edit).
- Directly after Rey is leaving the Island, Luke wants to burn down the Jedi Tree (idea by TheFallenKnight). In many cuts this scene comes later, but I think it makes Luke’s behaviour more understandable if it’s used immediately.
- Many edits took out the close up of Snoke’s Body. I kept it because I liked Hux’ reaction.
- Cut the Finn & Rose arriving scene.
- Rose is first seen in the bunker.
- I took Poppasketti’s version for the battle-scenes here, cause his cut worked best for me here (Rose not saving Finn, instead both are shot by walkers).
- Cut Hux getting beaten by Kylo.
Fight between Luke and Kylo:
- I used another version of Samuel Kim’s music to make Rey’s appearance more epic.
- I moved some scenes of the resistance in the tunnels to fit the music.
- Trimmed some other scenes for a better fit.
- Cut the broom kid. Instead the end credits appear after the scenes on the Falcon (Taken from TheFallenKnight-edit).
- Trimmed the end-credits-music and
- Inserted full length version of Samuel Kim’s music in the end credits.
There are for sure many more little changes, but these were the significant ones.
As I already mentioned, special thanks go to:
Hal 9000, Poppasketti, TheFallenKnight, DonKamillo, Samuel Kim, ImmersionVFX
and everyone involved in their projects!
Final Version & Format:
The final runtime for the movie is 113 minutes (105 min without end credits).
1080p High Quality MKV (20,3gb)
Video: H.264 at 23-30mbps VBR
Audio: 5.1 DTS, 5.1 Dolby Digital, Stereo
Extra: Chapter markers
As I’ve already mentioned, my English isn’t the best around, so I don’t have any Subtitle-Files. If anyone is able to make them, I will include them in a future release.
Feel free to tell me about any mistakes, I will take a look and try to improve.
Examples of changed music:
Reys training: https://vimeo.com/464171658
Final battle: https://vimeo.com/464176803
The arrangement of this cover and the text are based on a cover created by ForceGhostRecon. As I like continuity, it has the same backside as Hal9000’s Episode VII (and hopefully Episode IX).
Greetings and may the force be with you!
The Last Jedi Reforged
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Revitalized
The Lone Ranger Essential Cut
Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein Mature Cut