Sign In

The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS ** — Page 89

Author
Time

Warbler said:

So Rey’s parents were nobodies, just ordinary people? Then how did she before force sensitive? Wouldn’t it make more sense for at least one of her parents to be force sensitive?

Why is there this idea that force-sensitivity can only be passed down? Sure, it seems to be genetic, but clearly that’s not the only way someone becomes force-sensitive.

Why did he stand there and let Kilo Ren kill him?

Kylo Ren didn’t kill him, the force projection was incredibly draining and he was going to die anyway.

Why didn’t he make the fight last as long as possible, giving the resistance more time to escape

They did escape, didn’t they? No need to delay longer than that.

and why didn’t he try to kill Kilo Ren right there?

He couldn’t. IIRC he wasn’t able to physically interact with the world, at least not to that extent, he was just a projection.

Author
Time

So, a few people complained about the absence of sound in a certain scene in TLJ and a couple of signs were put up as result - I know this is the spoiler thread but this article here contains a spoiler so be warned! -

I can understand some people being confused by an artistic use of silence but to actually go and complain and then for the cinema to put a sign up to “warn” viewers about how it’s a deliberate artistic choice and not a technical error? Baffling, and actually makes me feel a wee bit angry!

Author
Time

Walking Carpet said:

If Finn and Rose were able to fly off to the casino and come back with a hacker, was there any reason why someone else couldn’t have flown off to pick up a fuel tanker or something?

One of Many Many Many plot holes.

Author
Time

Mark’s Down On Your Syntax said:

So, a few people complained about the absence of sound in a certain scene in TLJ and a couple of signs were put up as result - I know this is the spoiler thread but this article here contains a spoiler so be warned! -

I can understand some people being confused by an artistic use of silence but to actually go and complain and then for the cinema to put a sign up to “warn” viewers about how it’s a deliberate artistic choice and not a technical error? Baffling, and actually makes me feel a wee bit angry!

I read somewhere that that was actually a note they sent to theaters to warn the projectionists, not the movie goers, and AMC displayed it for everyone by mistake, which then caused people to assume that viewers were complaining about the scene.

Author
Time

I was annoyed by many things about the movie. Funny enough I enjoyed the movie, but I didn’t think it was a good ‘star wars’ movie. So much of this movie ignored everything that came before it.

One minor thing the annoyed me was the cheap joke C3PO made in the mines “The odds of finding an exit are 14285 to 1” The only way 3PO can make a calculation like this is if he knew how many exits there are and how many tunnels/branches there are. The only way he would have the data points to calculate the odds is if he had a map - and if he had a map…

So why have the logic based robot make a joke based on completely nothing???

Author
Time

Warbler said:
Also could argue that Vader was going to kill Obiwan in the end anyway due to Obiwan being so old at the time of the fight.

You raise a lot of good questions, Warbler. I’m only pulling this particular point out to note that Mark Hammill is 66 years old while Alec Guinness was 63 in 1977.

The blue elephant in the room.

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

So Rey’s parents were nobodies, just ordinary people? Then how did she before force sensitive? Wouldn’t it make more sense for at least one of her parents to be force sensitive?

Why is there this idea that force-sensitivity can only be passed down? Sure, it seems to be genetic, but clearly that’s not the only way someone becomes force-sensitive.

true, but she is quite force sensitive. I mean look at what she in TFA without any training.

Why did he stand there and let Kilo Ren kill him?

Kylo Ren didn’t kill him, the force projection was incredibly draining and he was going to die anyway.

That is not clearly explained in movie, and why was he “going to die anyway”?

Why didn’t he make the fight last as long as possible, giving the resistance more time to escape

They did escape, didn’t they? No need to delay longer than that.

no reason not to either. The longer he delays, the further away they can get.

and why didn’t he try to kill Kilo Ren right there?

He couldn’t. IIRC he wasn’t able to physically interact with the world, at least not to that extent, he was just a projection.

This is not clearly explained in the movie either.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time

Mark’s Down On Your Syntax said:

So, a few people complained about the absence of sound in a certain scene in TLJ and a couple of signs were put up as result - I know this is the spoiler thread but this article here contains a spoiler so be warned! -

I can understand some people being confused by an artistic use of silence but to actually go and complain and then for the cinema to put a sign up to “warn” viewers about how it’s a deliberate artistic choice and not a technical error? Baffling, and actually makes me feel a wee bit angry!

https://youtu.be/nDKDBd22lNM

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Porkins4real said:

Walking Carpet said:

If Finn and Rose were able to fly off to the casino and come back with a hacker, was there any reason why someone else couldn’t have flown off to pick up a fuel tanker or something?

One of Many Many Many plot holes.

Such a ship is probably well guarded and requires more than two people to pilot. And you think the First Order is going to just sit there and watch the Resistance refuel?

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Mrebo said:

Warbler said:
Also could argue that Vader was going to kill Obiwan in the end anyway due to Obiwan being so old at the time of the fight.

You raise a lot of good questions, Warbler. I’m only pulling this particular point out to note that Mark Hammill is 66 years old while Alec Guinness was 63 in 1977.

I didn’t realize that Mark Hammill is older than Alec Guinness was in 1977.

In case, one could argue the Ren is not Vader and Luke is more powerful now than Obiwan was in ANH. I don’t think Obiwan could pull off that projection trick, and he didn’t inherit from “the chosen one” like Luke did.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time

I also don’t buy that this one ship could keep its distance from The First Order fleet and that its shields could take so much pounding.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Why did he stand there and let Kilo Ren kill him?

Kylo Ren didn’t kill him, the force projection was incredibly draining and he was going to die anyway.

That is not clearly explained in movie, and why was he “going to die anyway”?

Not explained, but recall how he looked and acted when he “awoke” on Ach-To. The projection took an immense amount of energy, enough to kill him. When I say he was “going to die anyway,” I mean that whether or not Kylo swung at him, he was going to die when he awoke.

and why didn’t he try to kill Kilo Ren right there?

He couldn’t. IIRC he wasn’t able to physically interact with the world, at least not to that extent, he was just a projection.

This is not clearly explained in the movie either.

It wasn’t explained because it didn’t need to be, Rian did a very good job at showing and not telling. It was shown when Luke dragged his foot across the salt without making a mark.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I think it was mentioned the shields were weakening? It did feel like a Star Trek plot device in any event.

I will admit a slow speed space chase doesn’t feel very Star Warsy to me, but then again, I didn’t like the lack of car chases in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and people seem to like that movie. 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

This:

was totally unnecessary and was only added to sell toys.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Why did he stand there and let Kilo Ren kill him?

Kylo Ren didn’t kill him, the force projection was incredibly draining and he was going to die anyway.

That is not clearly explained in movie, and why was he “going to die anyway”?

Not explained, but recall how he looked and acted when he “awoke” on Ach-To. The projection took an immense amount of energy, enough to kill him. When I say he was “going to die anyway,” I mean that whether or not Kylo swung at him, he was going to die when he awoke.

sorry not buying it.

and why didn’t he try to kill Kilo Ren right there?

He couldn’t. IIRC he wasn’t able to physically interact with the world, at least not to that extent, he was just a projection.

This is not clearly explained in the movie either.

It wasn’t explained because it didn’t need to be, Rian did a very good job at showing and not telling. It was shown when Luke dragged his foot across the salt without making a mark.

Not good enough, I was confused by the whole thing and I sure I’m not the only one.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There were no real lightsaber fights.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Why did he stand there and let Kilo Ren kill him?

Kylo Ren didn’t kill him, the force projection was incredibly draining and he was going to die anyway.

That is not clearly explained in movie, and why was he “going to die anyway”?

Not explained, but recall how he looked and acted when he “awoke” on Ach-To. The projection took an immense amount of energy, enough to kill him. When I say he was “going to die anyway,” I mean that whether or not Kylo swung at him, he was going to die when he awoke.

sorry not buying it.

and why didn’t he try to kill Kilo Ren right there?

He couldn’t. IIRC he wasn’t able to physically interact with the world, at least not to that extent, he was just a projection.

This is not clearly explained in the movie either.

It wasn’t explained because it didn’t need to be, Rian did a very good job at showing and not telling. It was shown when Luke dragged his foot across the salt without making a mark.

Not good enough, I was confused by the whole thing and I sure I’m not the only one.

Alright; take it up with Rian, then.

Author
Time

Warbler, you seem to think that this movie should have been made to please your every wish.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Why did he stand there and let Kilo Ren kill him?

Kylo Ren didn’t kill him, the force projection was incredibly draining and he was going to die anyway.

That is not clearly explained in movie, and why was he “going to die anyway”?

Not explained, but recall how he looked and acted when he “awoke” on Ach-To. The projection took an immense amount of energy, enough to kill him. When I say he was “going to die anyway,” I mean that whether or not Kylo swung at him, he was going to die when he awoke.

sorry not buying it.

and why didn’t he try to kill Kilo Ren right there?

He couldn’t. IIRC he wasn’t able to physically interact with the world, at least not to that extent, he was just a projection.

This is not clearly explained in the movie either.

It wasn’t explained because it didn’t need to be, Rian did a very good job at showing and not telling. It was shown when Luke dragged his foot across the salt without making a mark.

Not good enough, I was confused by the whole thing and I sure I’m not the only one.

Alright; take it up with Rian, then.

ok.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

It wasn’t explained because it didn’t need to be, Rian did a very good job at showing and not telling. It was shown when Luke dragged his foot across the salt without making a mark.

Not good enough, I was confused by the whole thing and I sure I’m not the only one.

What would the alternative be? Should Luke have been phasing through walls? Should Luke have turned to the camera and told the audience that he was a projection? It’s not the movies fault that you missed an important detail.

Author
Time

dahmage said:

Warbler, you seem to think that this movie should have been made to please your every wish.

Would be nice if someone would do that for me, but obviously that is not going to happen.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time

Jeebus said:

Warbler said:

Jeebus said:

It wasn’t explained because it didn’t need to be, Rian did a very good job at showing and not telling. It was shown when Luke dragged his foot across the salt without making a mark.

Not good enough, I was confused by the whole thing and I sure I’m not the only one.

What would the alternative be? Should Luke have been phasing through walls? Should Luke have turned to the camera and told the audience that he was a projection?

Not sure, but it should have clearer to the viewer what was happening. It should have somehow been made clear that it was a projection, that he couldn’t kill Ren and that Ren couldn’t kill him, and that was making the projection that killed Luke not Ren.

It’s not the movies fault that you missed an important detail.

I missed it cause it isn’t there.


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!

Author
Time

why is that good?


E!-A!-G!-L!-E!-S! EAGLES!!!
SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!