Sign In

The Last Jedi: Official Review and Opinions Thread ** SPOILERS ** — Page 51

Author
Time

One fear I have about the backlash against TLJ is that Lucasfilm might pull a WB/DC move and make overly reactionary decisions to “fix” things for IX and beyond instead of building on what worked. That was the major problem with both Suicide Squad and Justice League - instead of letting them both run their course and tweaking things from there on out, they made massive changes to both of them throughout production to respond to the criticisms of MoS, BvS, and SS (in the case of JL), resulting in the messy tonal whiplash of SS and the Frankenstein’s mosnter that was JL. I don’t want either of those things to happen with IX.

And before anyone claims that’s what happened with TLJ, it isn’t. TLJ was written and in (pre?) production before TFA even came out. If it was reactionary toward TFA, that was due to Johnson’s response to Abrams’ and Kasdan’s choices in VII, not the audience’s.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

I think it’s got its flaws, but in my completely subjective opinion, it was a great movie. Rey and Kylo: amazing. Luke as a coward and his character arch to becoming the hero and Force master again: great. The entire third act: pretty good. The lightspeed thing: really cool. The scene in Snoke’s room: perfect, a perfect scene.

Yeah the Canto Bight part was lame, Leia flying was gay, and the comedy too much occasionally, but if you really can’t look past that, you’re not looking at the movie as a whole, and how I see it, most likely finding another reason to complain about “Disney Wars”

No offense, kid, but I don’t think you know how to boil water.

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

TLJ was written and in (pre?) production before TFA even came out. If it was reactionary toward TFA, that was due to Johnson’s response to Abrams’ and Kasdan’s choices in VII, not the audience’s.

That’s really interesting, but when I think about it, that makes total sense

No offense, kid, but I don’t think you know how to boil water.

Author
Time

bromeo said:

I wish he would’ve at least “died” during an actual duel, Obi-Wan style. I always thought we’d maybe see him go Somewhat Saiyan on the Knights of Ren… if those guys even exist?

Except you’re totally missing the whole point of the scene of him dying/giving into the Force/whatever. If he pulled an Obi-Wan, I can almost guarantee you would be screeching autistically about how they ripped off ANH

No offense, kid, but I don’t think you know how to boil water.

Author
Time

Nandi said:

DominicCobb said:

Had no idea this site was filled with so many MRA types. What am I even doing here?

Why not give admiral Ackbar to steer the ship into those destroyers? A character we love.
Instead give it to a random gender fluid studies profesor with a pink hair and that is her only role.

Its quite obvious politics are in new star wars.

And you didn’t even mention that whole rant by Rose in Canto Bight about “muh evil rich people” and “muh animal cruelty”. I can’t wait until a fan edit comes out

No offense, kid, but I don’t think you know how to boil water.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

liamnotneeson said:

theprequelsrule said:

After seeing a bad Star wars movie this always calms me down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBrLHMCTDAA

implying TLJ was a bad Star Wars movie

Also, I’m glad they edited that out in the Special Edition. I cringed watching it

No. I have not seen it yet. Probably never will. But whenever you watch a Star Wars movie you don’t like just watch the Ewok Celebration.

Unless you don’t like ROTJ. Then watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6a1iYQ0GA

Author
Time

Another thing to consider RE: the whole “it should have been Ackbar instead of Holdo” argument: sure, the good admiral is a fan favorite, but how receptive would general audiences have been to that subplot if it was a shouting rubber fish man instead of Laura Dern? Ackbar is fun, but I seriously doubt you could get a compelling enough performance out of him to anchor that sort of storyline. It would almost certainly have read as goofy to anyone going into the theater without this weird reverence for Ackbar that we super fans seem to all have.

Author
Time

joefavs said:

Another thing to consider RE: the whole “it should have been Ackbar instead of Holdo” argument: sure, the good admiral is a fan favorite, but how receptive would general audiences have been to that subplot if it was a shouting rubber fish man instead of Laura Dern? Ackbar is fun, but I seriously doubt you could get a compelling enough performance out of him to anchor that sort of storyline. It would almost certainly have read as goofy to anyone going into the theater without this weird reverence for Ackbar that we super fans seem to all have.

I think it could have worked. I didn’t find Laura Dern’s performance very good but I blame the writing. It’s all in how you set it up. A real payoff would have been if Poe had been the pilot. As for the fear of scenes coming off as goofy, I had that problem with a great many scenes.

The blue elephant in the room.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

What if after the astral projection scene, we cut to Luke on ahchoo. He stands up with a little smile, his lightsaber flies to his hand and he puts it on his belt. He walks out and raises his X-wing from the water - time to join the fight. Would anyone have been opposed to this?

Author
Time

I’m kind of surprised “gay” is getting more pushback than “screeching autistically”.

Author
Time

liamnotneeson said:

Leia flying was gay,

Don’t ever use that phrase in such a context around here again.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

joefavs said:

I’m kind of surprised “gay” is getting more pushback than “screeching autistically”.

Link please? This thread is a beast to keep up with.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

TV’s Frink said:

Nandi said:

TV’s Frink said:

DrDre said:

at which point he suddenly becomes a retard.

Oh fuck off already.

Before I just disagreed with your opinion on a film. Now I think you’re an asshole too.

How do you keep avoiding moderator warnings with all fights you start

Go ask them, but maybe it’s partly because I don’t use “retard” as an insult?

I have to admit, that’s a pretty weak defense.

“Retard” as an insult is offensive, but “asshole” is not. Telling people to “fuck off” is not, as being belligerent is also not.
Umm… okay.

Your objection is noted.

Using “retard” as an insult makes you an asshole. Sorry.

I see. Calling a real person dumb is also insulting. If I call Snoke a dumb character would that also be crossing the line? How about Snoke is ugly? Is that an insult, which makes me an asshole, or simply the truth?

I think insulting a fictional character is not really on the same level of dickery as insulting real people, but hey that’s me. Anyways, I will avoid the r-word with regards to fictional characters from now on, as it seems to be inflammatory to some.

Author
Time

liamnotneeson said:

bromeo said:

I wish he would’ve at least “died” during an actual duel, Obi-Wan style. I always thought we’d maybe see him go Somewhat Saiyan on the Knights of Ren… if those guys even exist?

Except you’re totally missing the whole point of the scene of him dying/giving into the Force/whatever. If he pulled an Obi-Wan, I can almost guarantee you would be screeching autistically about how they ripped off ANH

Autism wisecracks are not going to fly around here either. Consider yourself warned.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

One fear I have about the backlash against TLJ is that Lucasfilm might pull a WB/DC move and make overly reactionary decisions to “fix” things for IX and beyond instead of building on what worked. That was the major problem with both Suicide Squad and Justice League - instead of letting them both run their course and tweaking things from there on out, they made massive changes to both of them throughout production to respond to the criticisms of MoS, BvS, and SS (in the case of JL), resulting in the messy tonal whiplash of SS and the Frankenstein’s mosnter that was JL. I don’t want either of those things to happen with IX.

And before anyone claims that’s what happened with TLJ, it isn’t. TLJ was written and in (pre?) production before TFA even came out. If it was reactionary toward TFA, that was due to Johnson’s response to Abrams’ and Kasdan’s choices in VII, not the audience’s.

Considering the glowing critical reception and box office success, I doubt they’ll let a set of particularly loud fanboys change how they work.

Author
Time

joefavs said:

Another thing to consider RE: the whole “it should have been Ackbar instead of Holdo” argument: sure, the good admiral is a fan favorite, but how receptive would general audiences have been to that subplot if it was a shouting rubber fish man instead of Laura Dern? Ackbar is fun, but I seriously doubt you could get a compelling enough performance out of him to anchor that sort of storyline. It would almost certainly have read as goofy to anyone going into the theater without this weird reverence for Ackbar that we super fans seem to all have.

This is what I was saying. Ackbar in that role would have been absurd.

Author
Time

DrDre said:

TV’s Frink said:

chyron8472 said:

TV’s Frink said:

Nandi said:

TV’s Frink said:

DrDre said:

at which point he suddenly becomes a retard.

Oh fuck off already.

Before I just disagreed with your opinion on a film. Now I think you’re an asshole too.

How do you keep avoiding moderator warnings with all fights you start

Go ask them, but maybe it’s partly because I don’t use “retard” as an insult?

I have to admit, that’s a pretty weak defense.

“Retard” as an insult is offensive, but “asshole” is not. Telling people to “fuck off” is not, as being belligerent is also not.
Umm… okay.

Your objection is noted.

Using “retard” as an insult makes you an asshole. Sorry.

I see. Calling someone dumb is also insulting. If I call Snoke a dumb character would that also be passing those high and mightly standards of yours? How about Snoke is ugly? Is that an insult, which makes me an asshole, or simply the truth?

I think insulting a fictional character is not really on the same level of dickery as insulting real people, but hey that’s me. Anyways, I will avoid the r-word with regards to fictional characters from now on, as it seems to be inflammatory to some.

Frink loves being outraged. Best to just ignore him.