Once THE LAST JEDI came out, I think we all anticipated this project being inevitable.
At this stage, I have put out a workprint. PM me for details. The list below outlines changes that have already been made. I’m still tossing things around and scouting things out for other things to do, and letting this project percolate in my mind.
Changes successfully implemented:
⁃ Trimmed the opening ‘prank call’ joke to prevent it from venturing into SNL territory while retaining the core of the humor
- Removed Hux being berated by Snoke at the end of the opening sequence
- Reinstated the ‘Luke Has a Moment’ deleted scene
- Reinstated the deleted scene where Poe gives Finn back his jacket (with scene transition provided by OT.com user pleasehello)
⁃ At their first meeting, removed Finn telling Rose to breathe
⁃ Removed Rose repeating, “They can track us through lightspeed.“
⁃ Removed both appearances from the ‘Caretakers’ on Ach-to (with a visual effects shot courtesy of OT.com user snooker)
⁃ Trimmed away the lone porg who gives Chewie the doughy eyes, though leaving the joke intact otherwise
⁃ Removed Luke’s line to R2, “Nothing can make me change my mind.”
⁃ Cut down the first sequence at Canto Bight to focus solely on finding the master codebreaker (also removing sounds of coins rattling around inside BB8 in two shots)
- Blended the original Anakin lightsaber ignition sound with the existing different sounds for two shots
- Made it appear as though Finn and Rose follow DJ out of the cell, briefly elude the guards, and the scene ends. Next time we see the trio, they are already in hyperspace (also removing the implication in the later scene that BB8 helped steal the ship).
⁃ Removed Rey asking Kylo Ren is he has a cowl to put on
- Added a center wipe transition from the scene with Finn, Rose, and DJ in hyperspace to the fleet losing their medical frigate
- Used a few shots from a deleted scene to remove the iron/spaceship gag, which borrowed from an old spoof which laughed at Star Wars rather than along with Star Wars (film speck removed by OT.com user poppasketti)
⁃ Trimmed some of the comedy with BB8 being placed under a basket
⁃ Trimmed the heavy, direct hinting before Snoke’s death, using musical score from TFA (courtesy of OT.com user poppasketti)
⁃ Removed the detail from Kylo Ren that Rey’s parents are buried in the Jakku desert, as this seems at odds with the vision we saw in The Force Awakens.
⁃ Moved the scene with Luke and Yoda to immediately prior to Leia looking out over Crait (using audio and video provided by OT.com user Darthrush)
⁃ Removed Finn’s line about the battering ram canon being “old Death Star tech.”
⁃ The crate Luke sits on as he talks with Leia is now stationary and motionless, unaffected by him (effect provided by OT.com user poppasketti)
- Removed a cutaway shot as a Resistance officer mentions the heavy losses they are taking
⁃ Removed Rey’s triple-TIE combo shot, with the Falcon’s involvement in the battle being first revealed with its shadow sweeping by and a single TIE being shot down
⁃ Trimmed Hux ordering fighters to follow the Falcon, leaving this poor tactical move to be attributed to Kylo Ren’s emotional priorities
⁃ Removed Finn’s line, “Oh, they hate that ship!”
⁃ Abbreviated Finn’s suicide run, so that the audience hasn’t had enough time to accept it and get totally on board with it (toward the end of a film that relishes jerking its audience around)
⁃ After Rose saves Finn, removed her line about not “fighting what we hate” and “saving what we love.”
- Removed spot on the sun as Luke gazes out after collapsing, which caused some presumably inadvertent misdirection for some upon first viewing (courtesy of OT.com user poppasketti)
- Snuck in a Wilhelm scream… somewhere in the movie.