Sign In

The Last Jedi : Fan Edit Ideas - ** SPOILERS INSIDE ** — Page 34

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

Exactly. That’s why several of them were cut - because they no longer fit with the structure of the film as it was shaped in the edit bay.

Rian insists that the caretaker scene was cut because Luke was too much of a jerk in it, and he thought it was better to go from Luke and Rey starting to understand each other into the hand touching scene rather than them being at each other’s throats at the time, but I think the restructuring was another big reason for that scene being lost, too.

That’s not quite what he said in the commentary though, it wasn’t that Luke was a jerk it was more about wanting to see Luke and Rey make some progress whereas the caretaker scene happens right after Rey declares that she won’t fail him. So it was more like changing it up so that every scene didn’t end with Luke being a disappointment, and which made they fact that she leaves hurt even more.

Not sure if restructuring played into it so much as pacing.

Author
Time

TK-422 said:

It’s really interesting to see just how much The Last Jedi changed in the editing room, some of the deleted scenes feel like they’re from a different film, many with setups and payoffs purely contained to the deleted scenes themselves (Finn going to “Where he belongs”). Obviously this happens with every movie, but considering how much deleted stuff we’re seeing from TLJ (20 minutes!), as well as the extensive documentary, it’s a super fascinating look into the production of the film, and makes me appreciate the final product even more.

Yeah I like that Rian seems to be a bit more open to discussing the process. It’s interesting to hear how much was restructured in post, in my opinion it’s one of the film’s greatest assets and something I admired while it was in theaters, and it’s a little surprising to find out some of this was initially very different, as the structure seems very meticulous to a point where I assumed it was like that from the start.

It’s definitely a step up from the prequels where the film will just at points cut back and forth with no rhyme or reason (looking right at you, AOTC).

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

ChainsawAsh said:

Exactly. That’s why several of them were cut - because they no longer fit with the structure of the film as it was shaped in the edit bay.

Rian insists that the caretaker scene was cut because Luke was too much of a jerk in it, and he thought it was better to go from Luke and Rey starting to understand each other into the hand touching scene rather than them being at each other’s throats at the time, but I think the restructuring was another big reason for that scene being lost, too.

That’s not quite what he said in the commentary though, it wasn’t that Luke was a jerk it was more about wanting to see Luke and Rey make some progress whereas the caretaker scene happens right after Rey declares that she won’t fail him. So it was more like changing it up so that every scene didn’t end with Luke being a disappointment, and which made they fact that she leaves hurt even more.

Not sure if restructuring played into it so much as pacing.

I thought he said it was a bit of both, but mostly that without the scene it appears Luke and Rey were making progress before the hand-holding scene, and with the scene it seems like their relationship had fallen apart even more (because of Luke being a jerk).

I dunno, maybe I didn’t pay enough attention or interpreted what he said slightly differently. I’ll definitely have to give the commentary another listen. I may also be culling from an EW interview about it or something.

ChainsawAsh disappears a lot - bkev

Author
Time

I mean, they are similar sentiments. I mainly just meant there was more to the explanation than “Luke being a jerk.”

Author
Time

Well, I said all that in my initial comment too, I didn’t say it was only because Luke was being a jerk.

ChainsawAsh disappears a lot - bkev

Author
Time

Looks like we have a problem with the “third lesson” deleted scene. Rey running across the landscape is clearly a temp effect and looks very unconvincing. Also, the final shot of the scene features a totally motionless ocean with no waves.

I’m betting someone around here could tackle the second of these, and perhaps that would be good enough to make it usable.

Author
Time

I think there’s an issue with the caretakers’ feet in a shot or two, as well (something that never got replaced or erased in post before the scene was cut). Same with BB-8’s puppet rig in the recording scene with Finn.

ChainsawAsh disappears a lot - bkev

Author
Time

Hal 9000 said:

Looks like we have a problem with the “third lesson” deleted scene. Rey running across the landscape is clearly a temp effect and looks very unconvincing. Also, the final shot of the scene features a totally motionless ocean with no waves.

I’m betting someone around here could tackle the second of these, and perhaps that would be good enough to make it usable.

My thought on the first issue is that you could add some blur to hide the unfinished effects and make it sort of like the force dash in TPM. Of course I say this without any certainty that this could be feasibly achieved.

Author
Time

I wonder if any of the TLJ video games have any useful audio and dialogue that could be used?

Author
Time

thebluefrog said:

I wonder if any of the TLJ video games have any useful audio and dialogue that could be used?

You mean the LEGO one?

you guys did it! thank you guys so much! 😄

Author
Time

thebluefrog said:

I wonder if any of the TLJ video games have any useful audio and dialogue that could be used?

There are lines from Rey, Finn and Phasma in Battlefront II from the original actors, but they’re mostly one-liners said when fighting. Not sure if there’s anything useful there.

There’s no “Lego TLJ” game yet, but the TFA game has some lines that can be edited into something useable.

Author
Time

Watched your edits:

Poe’s Intro - The idea of having NO conversation between Poe and Hux, this can work, with Hux being puzzled by a lone light fighter and NOT firing on it right away since the X-wing boost happens right away. I would also like to see an edit that trims the conversation as opposed to eliminating it all the way. However, this does stand on itself very well.

Maz Convo - Any reduction to this scene is a plus. Nicely done!

Fathier Escape - Same view with the Maz Convo. I would have to watch it again, but man, if there was a quick scene of the kid looking up to the Fathier and smirk … then it cuts to the tea cup rattling … that would be great.

Ending with Post-Credit scene - I REALLY like the idea of a post credit scene with the kid. I am not sure if the actually ending works right … it doesn’t seem right to me since it seems rushed.

Author
Time

jarbear said:

Watched your edits:

Poe’s Intro - The idea of having NO conversation between Poe and Hux, this can work, with Hux being puzzled by a lone light fighter and NOT firing on it right away since the X-wing boost happens right away. I would also like to see an edit that trims the conversation as opposed to eliminating it all the way. However, this does stand on itself very well.

Maz Convo - Any reduction to this scene is a plus. Nicely done!

Fathier Escape - Same view with the Maz Convo. I would have to watch it again, but man, if there was a quick scene of the kid looking up to the Fathier and smirk … then it cuts to the tea cup rattling … that would be great.

I agree that it works better with a shot of the kid looking up at the fathier, but I couldn’t get the audio to transition as smoothly doing that. I’m sure someone else who is better at these things will be able to figure that out.

Ending with Post-Credit scene - I REALLY like the idea of a post credit scene with the kid. I am not sure if the actually ending works right … it doesn’t seem right to me since it seems rushed.

Also agree there. It’s a little rushed.

Author
Time

Sir Ridley said:

All of these work well! I especially like the first two. Not sure I would use the other two myself, but they’re good.

I really appreciate that. This is the first of my personal edits I’m putting out there into the ether.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

natedeug said:

I agree that it works better with a shot of the kid looking up at the fathier, but I couldn’t get the audio to transition as smoothly doing that. I’m sure someone else who is better at these things will be able to figure that out.

Seconded.
JEDIT: As in, “I also tried this and got the same result; confirmed.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

natedeug said:

jarbear said:

Watched your edits:

Poe’s Intro - The idea of having NO conversation between Poe and Hux, this can work, with Hux being puzzled by a lone light fighter and NOT firing on it right away since the X-wing boost happens right away. I would also like to see an edit that trims the conversation as opposed to eliminating it all the way. However, this does stand on itself very well.

Maz Convo - Any reduction to this scene is a plus. Nicely done!

Fathier Escape - Same view with the Maz Convo. I would have to watch it again, but man, if there was a quick scene of the kid looking up to the Fathier and smirk … then it cuts to the tea cup rattling … that would be great.

I agree that it works better with a shot of the kid looking up at the fathier, but I couldn’t get the audio to transition as smoothly doing that. I’m sure someone else who is better at these things will be able to figure that out.

Ending with Post-Credit scene - I REALLY like the idea of a post credit scene with the kid. I am not sure if the actually ending works right … it doesn’t seem right to me since it seems rushed.

Also agree there. It’s a little rushed.

For the ending, you can let the score play out as intended instead of cutting early. It builds to a nice climax and then you can quick cross-fade audio to the credits. I was able to do it and it plays very convincingly.

You will need to make a small audio cut somewhere inconspicuous to get it to line up right with the video.

EDIT: Also, make sure the credits music comes in at the very end of the wipe. That’s how the films do it, and it really helps to sell it as authentic.

Author
Time

pleasehello said:

For the ending, you can let the score play out as intended instead of cutting early. It builds to a nice climax and then you can quick cross-fade audio to the credits. I was able to do it and it plays very convincingly.

You will need to make a small audio cut somewhere inconspicuous to get it to line up right with the video.

Have you posted this sequence somewhere? I’d like to see (hear) what you are talking about.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

natedeug said:

pleasehello said:

For the ending, you can let the score play out as intended instead of cutting early. It builds to a nice climax and then you can quick cross-fade audio to the credits. I was able to do it and it plays very convincingly.

You will need to make a small audio cut somewhere inconspicuous to get it to line up right with the video.

Have you posted this sequence somewhere? I’d like to see (hear) what you are talking about.

I will try to upload mine later today. Though I saw one somewhere else that achieved the same effect, I’ll try to find it.

EDIT: There’s an edit called thefallenknight that does it as well. I won’t link it here, but check your PMs for more info.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I had an idea. If Snooker or someone could remove the planet D’qar from the opening sequences with the dreadnought, and instead just have those scenes take place in open space, with clever editing, we could drastically improve the whole space chase/fuel subplot by moving the opening sequence action and Kylo dogfight to later in the film.

For example: Film opens with shot of Finn in Bacta suit (alternate opening scene) but the Raddus is already in hyperspace, then drops out of hyperspace.

Transition to Luke and Rey on Ach To scenes + Luke has a moment scene

1st order ships arrive, Poe and Hux moment, captain empire IE “scramble our fighters,” etc. If the bomber run on the dreadnought took place during the space chase, it would answer the question, “why didn’t the 1st order just simply send waves of fighters to destroy the fleeing resistance fleet?” Because they HAD bomber escorts vs “they are faster and lighter.”

I also think it would be neat to move the realization that the 1st order has hyperspace tracking abilities to Canto Bight somehow.

Author
Time

Sir Ridley said:

natedeug said:

Hey guys. Just finished up my personal Last Jedi edit. Here are some clips showing a few of the cuts and how they work:

Poe’s Intro

Maz Convo

Fathier Escape

Ending with post-credit scene

Password: fanedit

Lemme know what you think!

All of these work well! I especially like the first two. Not sure I would use the other two myself, but they’re good.

I like that new Poe intro scene! I was not a fan of the humor in TLJ and having the “on hold”/“your mom” joke right off the bat just set a bad tone for the whole thing, IMO. The X-Wing boost just comes out of nowhere though, wonder if it would make sense to show a quick cut of the boost gauge filling up and topping off just before he takes off?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here are a few edits I put together myself. I’m doing a really light edit of the movie, removing just the bits I found most bothersome and adding a couple deleted scenes I feel add to the film. Here are just a few examples:

Password: fanedit

Luke Has a Moment - Back to Ach To
-Can’t decide whether the score here is too abrupt or “on the nose”

Jailbreak - Fathier Chase

Ending with no kids

Let me know your thoughts. Especially if you can think of a way to make the edits any smoother.

Author
Time

I’m a big fan of the Fathier chase edit.

DESTROY ALL JEDI

My name is Sprite Pepsi and I’m abstinence till I die!

Author
Time

The Luke Scene I like the edition of it very well. I do think the music seems abrupt. My initial thought it would to have the music from Lukes scene continue into Leia’s scene. Maybe tinker with the original music from Leias scene correspondence with the sudden stop from light speed. Something on those lines.

Fathier Chase - Any changes is good to me. If there is a way to manipulate the shot with Rose to keep looking at the fathiers and then smirk … I think it would transition to the teacup scene VERY nicely.

No Kids - It was edited well with a good wipe … but having the falcon ending the movie like that still looks “off” to me.