GOAL: To reboot The Last Jedi with existing footage to change the way we see the entire presentation package and make it feel as much like a focused classic Star Wars movie as possible. It’s a very simple Star Wars story - it follows Luke, Rey and Kylo, while the rebels run from the First Order. This version is the ONLY way I watch this movie, and I quite enjoy it like this actually.
This was a personal project but I will share if anyone is interested. I’ve edited The Last Jedi into what I consider a tolerable version, edited down to the basics and void of all cringe. The goal was to shave it down to the basics and make it more “Luke” focused and play out more like an OT style story. I really wanted to change the way we see this movie as drastically as possible while still maintaining continuity (with the exception of Rey’s new first encounter with Luke). I also really disliked the “red everything” marketing campaign, so this new movie poster is meant to change the overall tone.
Lots of changes and tolerable runtime! 😃
- Cut Rebel girl’s “oh no” in opening scene
- Cut Poe ‘prank call’ with Hux at the beginning
- Cut Snoke slamming and dragging Hux
- Trimmed ridiculous exaggerated amount of time it takes rebel bomber girl to catch the detonator
- Cut Finn/Rose side arc altogether
- Added Finn and Poe deleted scene
- Finn asks where Rey is and then we cut to the ending scene for TFA of Rey in hyperspace in the falcon and then her arrival on Ach-too - she then climbs the steps to the huts and knocks on the door of Luke’s hut after he slams the door. (this edit works perfectly with versions of TFA that cut out the ending Luke scene.(in this edit, Luke was never in his Jedi robes peering out over the sea - nor did Rey ever hand him the saber)
- Chewy breaks in the door and Luke’s “how did you find me?” works perfectly here
- Made Luke’s "Wait. Where’s Han?"line more dramatic with cut to Kylo smashing helmet and cut back to Rey telling Luke about Kylo Ren
- Cut Poe/Holdo “fuel” arc
- Inserted Ryan Glossemeyer’s “Luke saves Leia” scene. I think this was really well done and a powerful scene. Great way to give us more Luke and highlight the fact that he only uses the Force to save people at this point in his life. Luke saves Leia when she’s blasted into space… she comes back to the ship (with Luke’s help) and drops her homing beacon when placed on the strectcher - then cut to Rey’s homing beacon and Rey sleeping… works particularly well.
- Cut DJ and Phasma side stories completely - these characters aren’t in this version of the movie
- Added “Luke mourning Han” deleted scene
- Cut Ach-Too caretakers altogether
- Altered Luke and Rey’s dialogue inside the Force tree - no more awkward 'no one is from nowhere" exchange
- Cut Luke/Rey joke bout “reaching out” and slapping on the hand
- Added Luke’s 3rd lesson - Caretakes Village scene - this scene works great to fill is a few blanks for the viewers - mainly the inclusion of Luke’s 3rd lesson, but also adds tension between Rey and Luke right before she storms off and received Kylo’s “force skype” telling her his version of the story… and she kind of believes him because she’s already annoyed with Luke
- Cut Finn’s “they hate that ship” in the Crait battle
- Cut Holdo/Leia awkward “may the force be with you” and just let Holdo say it.
- Cut Snoke laying on the floor
- Cut Finn trying to crash into the battering ram and Rose saving him
- v6 - Holdo is completely removed from the edit and replaced by Ackbar in the “sacrifice” scene - this was accomplished using gigawattboy’s roto work to insert Ackbar into Holdo scenes (it works!)
- Zoom/scale the explosion to crop Rose and Finn out when the battering ram blasts the giant door open
- Removed broom boy and slave children ending
- Removed Finn/Rose at the end
- Removed Poe/Rey meeting
- Luke doesn’t fade away - he is last seen on his “meditation rock” looking at the sunset and then we see the island from a distance and the sun goes down behind it (interpret it as you wish)
- Altered Rey’s conversation with Leia to omit “Luke is gone”
- New iris transition to end movie with falcon scene
Runtime: 1hr 35min