Sign In

The Last Jedi: A ST One-Film Edit (WIP) — Page 3

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

If you’re to use visions during the helmet scene, I would go for visions of Luke, Ben, Leia and Rey showing Ben compassion, it demonstrates that deep down all he wants is to be loved, setting up his convo with Han.
As for the Deathstar scene I think the establishing shots are fine, the shots are a little stuttery though but as you said it’s a rough mockup. I would however shy away from using anything from the Vader Fan-film as it brakes the flow and tone of the scene, I’d cut from the inner establishing shots to Ben standing on the edge right before the Han convo.

I really love those ideas for the vision. I think the tough part is that it’s set up just a few minutes before this (at Crait) that Luke would haunt him. So I do feel like there needs to be some of that in there. That being said, though, I do like the idea of adding those moments of kindness. I’ll see what I can muster up.

I hear you on FOD. If it’s not working, then it’s the first thing to go. I have tried the transition from inner establishing shots to Ben on the edge, but it felt pretty abrupt. I’ll give it another look though.

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Ending V2

https://vimeo.com/419869547
PW: fanedit

See above post for a play-by-play.

Also, parts of it are still very rough. Apologies.

I’m watching this as someone who knows nothing about editing, but it feels a bit odd, right the end, for the Falcon to appear to go into hyperspace in the Tatooine shot with the twin suns, and then appear to do so again when broom boy is looking up. Have we jumped slightly back in time at the beginning of broom boy’s last scene? Or is the Falcon jumping twice for some reason? Like I say, I’m just a viewer not a creator, but it feels a little odd for me.

I really appreciate you doing this though! It’s a fantastic idea!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Spottyfriend said:

Lifeincontext said:

Ending V2

https://vimeo.com/419869547
PW: fanedit

See above post for a play-by-play.

Also, parts of it are still very rough. Apologies.

I’m watching this as someone who knows nothing about editing, but it feels a bit odd, right the end, for the Falcon to appear to go into hyperspace in the Tatooine shot with the twin suns, and then appear to do so again when broom boy is looking up. Have we jumped slightly back in time at the beginning of broom boy’s last scene? Or is the Falcon jumping twice for some reason? Like I say, I’m just a viewer not a creator, but it feels a little odd for me.

I really appreciate you doing this though! It’s a fantastic idea!

That’s definitely something I realized too lol. The end uses the great work of popasketti and snooker for the Falcon stuff, so I just used the shot as is. However… if anyone wants to try a normal Falcon shot with no hyperspace at the end, I’d love to see it.

Author
Time

Watching the latest version of the end again, I really think it’s an excellent way to end the sequel(s) (and I feel myself tearing up a little with the Rey Skywalker/Broom Boy sequence, which is great because I felt nothing watching the former as part of tRoS). Another bit of feedback, which again apologies for not suggesting an actual solution to this, is that it feels a bit jarring leaving Broom Boy at 5:26 and having a full two minutes (and within that a short flashback) to spend with Rey, only returning to him at 7:30. It feels a little too long to be able to come back and simply continue on with the Broom Boy scene as smoothly as a viewer might like.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That was surprisingly moving! Even though the Falcon liftoff to hyperspace over Canto Bight doesn’t make too much logical sense, it definitely feels compelling and might not even need to make sense.

In this version, is Canto Bight on Tatooine? Because if that were set up earlier, it would potentially be really cool. Of course, it would require changing the time of day in the Broom Boy scene.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

NeverarGreat said:

That was surprisingly moving! Even though the Falcon liftoff to hyperspace over Canto Bight doesn’t make too much logical sense, it definitely feels compelling. In this version, is Canto Bight on Tatooine? Because if that were set up earlier, it would potentially be really cool. Of course, it would require changing the time of day in the Broom Boy scene.

Haha well we don’t see Canto Bight earlier. In my mind, this happens on the dark side of Tatooine lol.

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

👏

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

Holy shit that made me actually feel things

reylo?

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

I really like the Falcon/Broom boy combo at the end. Could it be implied that Kylo has taken a kind of pilgrimage to the ruins of the Deathstar, where his grandfather was redeemed? I think some slow wide shots of the ruins (could use some wide shots from the Rey climbing sequence) would help fix the abruptness and better establish the setting.

So I decided to redo this sequence a bit and go the other direction, like you’re pointing to. When all else fails, simple is usually better lol. So I’ve basically eliminated all visions, including Leia calling to him.

It now cuts directly from Rey cutting Kylo off to the Death Star. After the establishing shots, we get one vision of Han falling, and then he says, “Hey, kid.”

I really tried to add the compassion moments, but there really isn’t enough to make it convincing without looking choppy, in my opinion.

Is this transition too abrupt? Do we need to see the reason Kylo decides to go to the Death Star?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For the compassion thing, maybe he hears voices like these, “There’s still light in him I know it” “come home, we miss you” “Ben, my nephew, no one’s ever really gone”…

Pacing wise it might be better to have the death star scene after Luke’s death.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

This is great!

Really sorry to be THAT guy (!), but I’m still not entirely sure the initial Broom Boy scene placement fully works pacing-wise. It’s definitely a very cool idea: while Rey pauses, considering her place in the galaxy and Luke’s legacy, this is then mirrored by seeing Luke’s legacy in action, inspiring hope; we cut back to Rey taking the Skywalker name and effectively concluding her and Luke’s arc - great stuff! However, I feel like cutting away to Broom Boy stuff for 30 seconds effectively in the middle of a conversation (“who are you?” / “Rey Skywalker”), doesn’t quite work and feels a bit choppy. We’re expecting an answer from Rey, and instead we cut away to a totally different scene which we’ve never seen before (unlike in your previous version, where we are introduced to the Broom Boy scene in much more of a natural break).

Again, sorry for the lack of solutions!

Author
Time

Spottyfriend said:

Lifeincontext said:

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

This is great!

Really sorry to be THAT guy (!), but I’m still not entirely sure the initial Broom Boy scene placement fully works pacing-wise. It’s definitely a very cool idea: while Rey pauses, considering her place in the galaxy and Luke’s legacy, this is then mirrored by seeing Luke’s legacy in action, inspiring hope; we cut back to Rey taking the Skywalker name and effectively concluding her and Luke’s arc - great stuff! However, I feel like cutting away to Broom Boy stuff for 30 seconds effectively in the middle of a conversation (“who are you?” / “Rey Skywalker”), doesn’t quite work and feels a bit choppy. We’re expecting an answer from Rey, and instead we cut away to a totally different scene which we’ve never seen before (unlike in your previous version, where we are introduced to the Broom Boy scene in much more of a natural break).

Again, sorry for the lack of solutions!

Haha! Well I will say that I tried several other places For the broom boy stuff to go, but there really wasn’t a more natural fit that met both of your criteria lol. But I’ll take another look. 😃

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Spottyfriend said:

Lifeincontext said:

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

This is great!

Really sorry to be THAT guy (!), but I’m still not entirely sure the initial Broom Boy scene placement fully works pacing-wise. It’s definitely a very cool idea: while Rey pauses, considering her place in the galaxy and Luke’s legacy, this is then mirrored by seeing Luke’s legacy in action, inspiring hope; we cut back to Rey taking the Skywalker name and effectively concluding her and Luke’s arc - great stuff! However, I feel like cutting away to Broom Boy stuff for 30 seconds effectively in the middle of a conversation (“who are you?” / “Rey Skywalker”), doesn’t quite work and feels a bit choppy. We’re expecting an answer from Rey, and instead we cut away to a totally different scene which we’ve never seen before (unlike in your previous version, where we are introduced to the Broom Boy scene in much more of a natural break).

Again, sorry for the lack of solutions!

Haha! Well I will say that I tried several other places For the broom boy stuff to go, but there really wasn’t a more natural fit that met both of your criteria lol. But I’ll take another look. 😃

Between the two options already presented, which feels better as a viewer?

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Lifeincontext said:

Spottyfriend said:

Lifeincontext said:

Here’s a new version of the ending. Based on some feedback, I tried to find an effective new arrangement of the Tatooine/Broom Boy clips. I found a moment I thought was interesting. Let me know what you guys think!

https://vimeo.com/418754884
PW: fanedit

This is great!

Really sorry to be THAT guy (!), but I’m still not entirely sure the initial Broom Boy scene placement fully works pacing-wise. It’s definitely a very cool idea: while Rey pauses, considering her place in the galaxy and Luke’s legacy, this is then mirrored by seeing Luke’s legacy in action, inspiring hope; we cut back to Rey taking the Skywalker name and effectively concluding her and Luke’s arc - great stuff! However, I feel like cutting away to Broom Boy stuff for 30 seconds effectively in the middle of a conversation (“who are you?” / “Rey Skywalker”), doesn’t quite work and feels a bit choppy. We’re expecting an answer from Rey, and instead we cut away to a totally different scene which we’ve never seen before (unlike in your previous version, where we are introduced to the Broom Boy scene in much more of a natural break).

Again, sorry for the lack of solutions!

Haha! Well I will say that I tried several other places For the broom boy stuff to go, but there really wasn’t a more natural fit that met both of your criteria lol. But I’ll take another look. 😃

Between the two options already presented, which feels better as a viewer?

Perhaps I’m in the minority? But I actually prefer the first version in terms of Broom Boy/Rey scene placement. I think it succeeds in telling the viewer at near the beginning - ‘we’re gonna be cutting between two scenes in this sequence’ - by showing both relatively early. It’s more natural than the second version, although there’s still the problem of the length of time between the introduction and conclusion of the Broom Boy section.

Author
Time

Any updates? I’d love to see the latest version

Author
Time

Wondered if there were any plans to continue with this? The ending section especially holds so much promise! If ever completed it definitely has the potential to save the ST for me!

Author
Time

Spottyfriend said:

Wondered if there were any plans to continue with this? The ending section especially holds so much promise! If ever completed it definitely has the potential to save the ST for me!

Yes, there are plans. I’ve just been extremely busy, and I had to switch my editing software to a different computer. I’ll hopefully post an update soon. Sorry about that!

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Spottyfriend said:

Wondered if there were any plans to continue with this? The ending section especially holds so much promise! If ever completed it definitely has the potential to save the ST for me!

Yes, there are plans. I’ve just been extremely busy, and I had to switch my editing software to a different computer. I’ll hopefully post an update soon. Sorry about that!

No worries at all!! Just wanted to check this hadn’t been abandoned or anything! Absolutely take your time!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Hey everyone!

After some necessary time away, I’m continuing my work on this.

A few things:

  • When Finn finally tells Rey that he’s a stormtrooper, I’ve added some flashback over that conversation with a couple moments from the original opening. It works!

  • I’m having trouble with the transition from Finn’s death into the Last Jedi. The scenes up until Rey & Chewie leave are really hard to work around, given that so much needs to be cut. I would love feedback/ideas about how to handle this. Here’s my thoughts so far:

  1. We see Chewie with the Falcon pick up Rey; cut to Resistance base, where Leia & Rey have their moment. Cut to Leia mourning Han (flashback to convo about Ben), then C-3PO interrupts. Cut from Leia’s “Tell me.” to Rey blasting off from the planet.
    OR
  2. Blackout on Rey mourning Finn. Cut to either Leia mourning Han (same as above) OR Leia bidding Rey goodbye before she leaves.
  • I’m still playing around with the ending. Thoughts?
  1. For right now, no more Kylo visions. Instead, after Rey cuts off Kylo, we cut to black. Then the next shot is the Death Star. I had some establishing shots of the interior, but they’re not long enough for it to flow, so those are gone. Instead, we cut from the initial establishing shot/maybe a shot or two of the gigantic waves splashing over the death star to Kylo remembering Han’s death/his father’s visitation. I’m also including a brief Rey-Kylo connection using the “I did want to take your hand” line.
  2. After Kylo leaves the Death Star, Rey arrives on Tatooine. I still have to decide between the two placements of the broom boy scenes. It’s either Rey approaches the homestead --> Kids story time…broom sweeping --> Rey sliding down hill OR Old woman asks Rey who she is --> Kids story time…broom boy sweeping --> Rey sees Luke. The ending beats would be the same either way.

I’m excited to get back to work. My goal is for this edit to flow as seamlessly as possible. I’m also admittedly a bit of a perfectionist, which may not be a great quality for fan-editing. Thanks to everyone who’s corresponded for your help!

Author
Time

Lifeincontext said:

Hey everyone!

After some necessary time away, I’m continuing my work on this.

A few things:

  • When Finn finally tells Rey that he’s a stormtrooper, I’ve added some flashback over that conversation with a couple moments from the original opening. It works!

  • I’m having trouble with the transition from Finn’s death into the Last Jedi. The scenes up until Rey & Chewie leave are really hard to work around, given that so much needs to be cut. I would love feedback/ideas about how to handle this. Here’s my thoughts so far:

  1. We see Chewie with the Falcon pick up Rey; cut to Resistance base, where Leia & Rey have their moment. Cut to Leia mourning Han (flashback to convo about Ben), then C-3PO interrupts. Cut from Leia’s “Tell me.” to Rey blasting off from the planet.
    OR
  2. Blackout on Rey mourning Finn. Cut to either Leia mourning Han (same as above) OR Leia bidding Rey goodbye before she leaves.
  • I’m still playing around with the ending. Thoughts?
  1. For right now, no more Kylo visions. Instead, after Rey cuts off Kylo, we cut to black. Then the next shot is the Death Star. I had some establishing shots of the interior, but they’re not long enough for it to flow, so those are gone. Instead, we cut from the initial establishing shot/maybe a shot or two of the gigantic waves splashing over the death star to Kylo remembering Han’s death/his father’s visitation. I’m also including a brief Rey-Kylo connection using the “I did want to take your hand” line.
  2. After Kylo leaves the Death Star, Rey arrives on Tatooine. I still have to decide between the two placements of the broom boy scenes. It’s either Rey approaches the homestead --> Kids story time…broom sweeping --> Rey sliding down hill OR Old woman asks Rey who she is --> Kids story time…broom boy sweeping --> Rey sees Luke. The ending beats would be the same either way.

I’m excited to get back to work. My goal is for this edit to flow as seamlessly as possible. I’m also admittedly a bit of a perfectionist, which may not be a great quality for fan-editing. Thanks to everyone who’s corresponded for your help!

Hey everyone,

Still working on this edit. Been busy with grad school applications/work, but I’ve been tackling other details. I’m now in the place to come back to the above problem spots. Anyone have any ideas?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I prefer option number 1 for how to get around Finn’s death. I’m doing something very similar in my TFA edit. Currently I have Rey crying, Chewie arriving, cut to falcon taking off and landing, and then right to Leia walking up to Rey and them hugging.

I think that hug really let’s the audience feel the weight of the deaths

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lifeincontext said:

Lifeincontext said:

Hey everyone!

After some necessary time away, I’m continuing my work on this.

A few things:

  • When Finn finally tells Rey that he’s a stormtrooper, I’ve added some flashback over that conversation with a couple moments from the original opening. It works!

  • I’m having trouble with the transition from Finn’s death into the Last Jedi. The scenes up until Rey & Chewie leave are really hard to work around, given that so much needs to be cut. I would love feedback/ideas about how to handle this. Here’s my thoughts so far:

  1. We see Chewie with the Falcon pick up Rey; cut to Resistance base, where Leia & Rey have their moment. Cut to Leia mourning Han (flashback to convo about Ben), then C-3PO interrupts. Cut from Leia’s “Tell me.” to Rey blasting off from the planet.
    OR
  2. Blackout on Rey mourning Finn. Cut to either Leia mourning Han (same as above) OR Leia bidding Rey goodbye before she leaves.
  • I’m still playing around with the ending. Thoughts?
  1. For right now, no more Kylo visions. Instead, after Rey cuts off Kylo, we cut to black. Then the next shot is the Death Star. I had some establishing shots of the interior, but they’re not long enough for it to flow, so those are gone. Instead, we cut from the initial establishing shot/maybe a shot or two of the gigantic waves splashing over the death star to Kylo remembering Han’s death/his father’s visitation. I’m also including a brief Rey-Kylo connection using the “I did want to take your hand” line.
  2. After Kylo leaves the Death Star, Rey arrives on Tatooine. I still have to decide between the two placements of the broom boy scenes. It’s either Rey approaches the homestead --> Kids story time…broom sweeping --> Rey sliding down hill OR Old woman asks Rey who she is --> Kids story time…broom boy sweeping --> Rey sees Luke. The ending beats would be the same either way.

I’m excited to get back to work. My goal is for this edit to flow as seamlessly as possible. I’m also admittedly a bit of a perfectionist, which may not be a great quality for fan-editing. Thanks to everyone who’s corresponded for your help!

Hey everyone,

Still working on this edit. Been busy with grad school applications/work, but I’ve been tackling other details. I’m now in the place to come back to the above problem spots. Anyone have any ideas?

Bumping this just to give Lifeincontext some support! From the clips I’ve seen, this really is hugely promising! I sometimes go back and watch the Rey/Broom boy ending its so gooood.

Author
Time

Also having rewatched the different Rey endings, I really do prefer your original (https://vimeo.com/419869547) bar the improvement of the falcon not going into hyperspace (https://vimeo.com/418754884), and broom boy seeing it instead (though admittedly this being not possible with the Canto Bight / Tatooine distance, but its yknow… like poetry)