So I know there are a few one-film edit threads out there. I have a few ideas that might vary from what’s been discussed, so I wanted to post them here and see if anyone has thoughts on how to improve it!
My goal is to make a standalone sequel film that will focus on centrally on Rey and Kylo Ren. That means very little Resistance. Here’s my outline:
- Scene 1: Rey: Day in the Life (because the transition from stars is just so dang good)
Rey goes about her day, rescues BB-8
- Scene 2: Rey with BB-8/Unkar Plutt
- Scene 3: Finn meeting Rey & BB-8
- Scene 4: Millennium Falcon chase thru Han reunion
- Scene 5: Han takes the gang to Maz
- Scene 6: Rey has a vision
- Scene 7: Rey runs away and captured
- Scene 8: Kylo & Vader/Rey’s Interrogation
NO STARKILLER (just a base on an ice planet)
- Scene 9: Rey Escapes/The Search/Han & Finn Rescue Rey
- Scene 10: Han Killed/Duel with Kylo
FIRST REVEAL OF HAN’S SON; FINN DIES
- Scene 11: Meeting Leia/Map Discovery/Rey Leaves
- Scene 12: Rey Finds Luke
- Scene 13: Resistance Flees
(cut most of it; just them leaving the planet and jumping to lightspeed)
- Scene 14: Kylo & Snoke
- Scene 15: Rey & Luke (including Luke Takes a Moment)
- Scene 16: Resistance Attacked
Leia dies OR Ben saves her via the Force OR we cut from her hand to the window to the gurney. No more Poppins.
- Scene 17: The Tree/Luke refuses to help
- Scene 18: Luke at the Falcon
- Scene 19: Force Timing 1/Lesson 1
- Scene 20: Force Timing 2/Lesson 2
- Scene 21: Lesson 3/Force Timing 3
- Scene 22: Rey in the Cave
- Scene 23: Force Timing 4/Rey Leaves Ach-To
- Scene 24: Luke & Yoda
- Scene 25: Rey, Kylo & Snoke
- Scene 26: Showdown on Crait/Luke’s Death
No Resistance fight; cut to explosion at the gate; just a few shots of them looking vulnerable/Leia & Luke
- Scene 27: Rey Cuts Off Kylo/On the Falcon
- [Ideally, insert Kylo’s Haunting/Redemption here because it’s a good scene, but it’s not necessary]
- Scene 28: Legacy
Children are told the legend of Luke Skywalker. A broom boy uses the force and sweeps.
[If including Ben’s redemption scene, I’d love to include a Ben in exile thing here.]
Rey appears on Tatooine, the place where Luke grew up. She buries the two halves of Anakin/Luke’s light saber. An old woman appears and asks who she is. Luke’s force ghost appears. Better take of “Rey Skywalker.” Rey leaves on the Falcon.
Broom Boy sees it jump to hyperspace. Ends on him looking at the stars.