Sign In

The Kenobi Movie Show (Spoilers) — Page 24

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Servii said:

Realistically, Kenobi could be set exclusively on Tatooine, and I’d have no issues if that was what they did. The problem is that they chose to set so much of Mando and BoBF on Tatooine, also. That was the mistake. People are getting Tatooine fatigue now, right when we’re getting a show where it actually makes sense to have Tatooine.

Tatooine fatigue? People who do not like sand are dangerous, or should be ignored! 😉

 

It would be a welcome move to see more Star Wars releases in new locations or other lesser-seen locations, but for this it is understandable.

I am hoping the series will not be too “light” or “uplifting” as described below.

‘Obi-Wan Kenobi’ Was Overhauled for Being Too Dark; Ewan McGregor Says Character Is ‘Broken Man’ -
https://www.indiewire.com/2022/03/obi-wan-kenobi-scripts-too-dark-1234707478/

We will have to wait to the see the series itself, but I think I would have preferred a darker story for this show, in contrast to other recent Star Wars shows, given the context and situation of Obi-Wan, and the weight of responsibility and burden upon him.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

These stories have always been for kids but their beliefs they have continues to baffle me. They don’t understand context but only understand Star Wars on a very superficial level. There’s dark aspects to George’s stories but they’re told in a way that is more often than not light and hopeful. They however don’t shy away from addressing darker and more mature issues where needed. They’re ulimately told in a tone that is accessible to children but they don’t dumb themselves down for them. Disney Star Wars and a lot of storytellers have forgotten this. You don’t need your characters to be perfect to teach kids. It’s okay for them to know you’ll fail sometimes. Teaching them characters are perfect creates unnecessary expectations like that of rom-coms when it comes to love.

I want to be optimistic about the show and enjoy it for what it is but I’m very nervous it will continue the trend of what Star Wars has become.

“Heroes come in all sizes, and you don’t have to be a giant hero. You can be a very small hero. It’s just as important to understand that accepting self-responsibility for the things you do, having good manners, caring about other people - these are heroic acts. Everybody has the choice of being a hero or not being a hero every day of their lives.” - George Lucas

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Stardust1138 said:

These stories have always been for kids but their beliefs they have continues to baffle me. They don’t understand context but only understand Star Wars on a very superficial level. There’s dark aspects to George’s stories but they’re told in a way that is more often than not light and hopeful. They however don’t shy away from addressing darker and more mature issues where needed. Disney Star Wars and a lot of storytellers have forgotten this. You don’t need your characters to be perfect to teach kids. It’s okay for them to know you’ll fail sometimes.

I would say Rogue One is an exception to this, maybe Solo too in the characterisation of Han.

Anthology films were a good way of doing something a little different from the main films, and also stepping away from George and previous ideals and factors. It unfortunate we do not see more of them. Or more anthology series like Visions.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Emre1601 said:

I would say Rogue One is an exception to this, maybe Solo too in the characterisation of Han.

I completely agree. Rogue One is definitely the exception. I remember reading one of the writers of Rogue One said when they presented the story to Alan Horn and told him all the characters died he only agreed because he saw they weren’t in A New Hope. They’re not smart enough to realise that if they work together like they did on Rogue One that we could get some very good Star Wars stories as they’re able to present things to Disney as a collective group instead of chaos of so many voices wanting a different say of what things should be. They may never capture exactly George’s spirit but they’d continue his legacy in a meaningful way that respects it instead of shying away from it. There’s a reason Rogue One, the first season of Mandalorian, and Rebels tend to be the best received Disney era content. I suppose you could add Solo. I don’t personally like it that much but many seem to find it to be an underrated gem but it’s inevitable with someone other than George making the stories I may feel disconnected from some of it as others would with Rogue One. You can’t argue though it isn’t the most consistent in tone and what its aiming to be. It wouldn’t be from a lack of trying. I’ve not watched Visions yet or Mandalorian for that matter but from what I’ve glimpsed I can see they try what you say. Star Wars is at its best received when it understands context but is different from anything it has been before.

“Heroes come in all sizes, and you don’t have to be a giant hero. You can be a very small hero. It’s just as important to understand that accepting self-responsibility for the things you do, having good manners, caring about other people - these are heroic acts. Everybody has the choice of being a hero or not being a hero every day of their lives.” - George Lucas

Author
Time

Servii said:

Realistically, Kenobi could be set exclusively on Tatooine, and I’d have no issues if that was what they did. The problem is that they chose to set so much of Mando and BoBF on Tatooine, also. That was the mistake. People are getting Tatooine fatigue now, right when we’re getting a show where it actually makes sense to have Tatooine.

And Tatooine is supposed to be a backwater, anyway. It’s meant to be the boondocks of the galaxy. It’s important on a meta level, but not in-universe.

Ugh…it made no sense for Han to be on Tatooine in SW77 if it was the home base of Jabba and he had a price on his head. He was obviously supposed to be laying low on a backwater planet. Tatooine is the wild west with Mos Eisley acting the part of a small frontier town.

Everything is relative of course. If Coruscant and the other planets of the Core Worlds are the equivalent of a developed and urbanized first world country on Earth, then a “small frontier town” in the SW Universe might be huge by our real world standards. But the point of it being a backwater gets lost if you show that like the Special Edition, the prequels, and I guess these new series are showing.

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

The Book of Boba Fett had to be set on Tatooine because that’s where the story starts from. He’s in the Sarlaac Pit on Tatooine.

Obi-wan Kenobi is set on Tatooine, because he lives there and his job is to watch over young Luke.

The Mandalorian stopped there a couple of times, but he did at least travel from place to place.

Andor, Ahsoka, etc, those I’m sure won’t see Tatooine.

I would love to see Endor, or places we haven’t ever seen in live action like Dantooine, Ord Mantell, Sullust, etc.

Author
Time

CarboniteSolo said:

I would love to see Endor, or places we haven’t ever seen in live action like Dantooine, Ord Mantell, Sullust, etc.

I agree, it would be very pleasing and interesting to finally see these planets in live action. Alderaan too before the Death Star got to it. Even Hoth or Crait again.

Author
Time

Emre1601 said:

CarboniteSolo said:

I would love to see Endor, or places we haven’t ever seen in live action like Dantooine, Ord Mantell, Sullust, etc.

I agree, it would be very pleasing and interesting to finally see these planets in live action. Alderaan too before the Death Star got to it. Even Hoth or Crait again.

I’m sure we’ll get to see Alderaan, if Leia and Bail Organa are in this, unless they are just flying around. I think we will, how else do we get to see our favorite droids😉

Dantooine might show up in Andor, but it hasn’t been confirmed yet.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Disney+ description for the Obi-Wan Kenobi series:

I wonder if this refers not just to Vader, but possibly others who may have switched allegiances as well?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Emre1601 said:

I wonder if this refers not just to Vader, but possibly others who may have switched allegiances as well?

The inquisitors used to be Jedi so he might have met some of them before, or even fought beside them during the Clone Wars.

Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Amazon link to my novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ZkinandBonez said:

Emre1601 said:

I wonder if this refers not just to Vader, but possibly others who may have switched allegiances as well?

The inquisitors used to be Jedi so he might have met some of them before, or even fought beside them during the Clone Wars.

Ah. My hopes of seeing a reunion of Kenobi with a Dark Side Dexter Jettster at the 1950’s cafe will live on! 😃
 

That would be good story material to see Kenobi have to now have go up against old Jedi friends or other people he knew now loyal to the Empire.

Author
Time

I hate the entire premise of this show.

It was perfectly fine to have Obi-wan living a quiet hermit like existence on Tatooine for 20 years; communing with the force and watching over Luke. WE DON’T NEED ANY MORE BACKSTORY TO THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY!!!

The only reason for this show to exist is a combination of greed and laziness on the part of Disney.

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

I agree. With the prospect of duelling Vader again, despite his lines in Star Wars, it feels like Disney are contradicting the original trilogy for fan service. I’m definitely accepting that all of this will happen and am still looking forward to seeing it - I might as well enjoy it! - but I’m getting a strong feeling I may criticise it a lot once it ends.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

jedi_bendu said:

I agree. With the prospect of duelling Vader again, despite his lines in Star Wars, it feels like Disney are contradicting the original trilogy for fan service. I’m definitely accepting that all of this will happen and am still looking forward to seeing it - I might as well enjoy it! - but I’m getting a strong feeling I may criticise it a lot once it ends.

But why Jedi_bendu? Why support this stuff?

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

There’s a lot of stuff that this show could do that could in theory strengthen the OT.

For example, we could get Obi-wan meeting Vader in a scene reminiscent of Luke meeting Vader in ROTJ where Obi-wan tries to convince Anakin to turn away from the Emperor. That way Vader’s line ‘Obi-wan once thought as you do’ would make more sense.

A fight between Vader and Obi-wan could lead to Obi-wan escaping in a way that implies that he is killed. That way the situation in ANH, where everyone assumes Obi-wan is dead, makes more sense. Similarly, we could see Vader recognize Obi-wan through the Force, as he states in ANH.

We could get a non-silly explanation for why Vader never bothered checking Tatooine for Obi-wan or potential progeny. We could see, perhaps via flashback, that Vader has visited the tomb of Padme on Naboo, and seen that there is a small tomb beside hers, unnamed. Perhaps he demands of the official who interred them if there is truly a child buried here, and they swear on their life that it is true. He believes this and in this place finally gives up his last hope for redemption.

Obi-wan’s mission off-planet could be due to a belief that he can still do good in the galaxy and right some wrong. The end of this mission may have him realize that he is indeed becoming too old and too weary to continue the fight, recognizing that perhaps his idealism of youth was merely a zealous crusade, confirmed by the bitter denunciations of Owen and those who blame the Jedi for allowing this Empire to succeed.

While I hope that something like this comes to pass, I have absolutely no evidence based on this trailer that the show will deliver on any of this nuance. My expectations are in the Sarlacc, but hey, the show could surprise me.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

theprequelsrule said:

jedi_bendu said:

I agree. With the prospect of duelling Vader again, despite his lines in Star Wars, it feels like Disney are contradicting the original trilogy for fan service. I’m definitely accepting that all of this will happen and am still looking forward to seeing it - I might as well enjoy it! - but I’m getting a strong feeling I may criticise it a lot once it ends.

But why Jedi_bendu? Why support this stuff?

Because I’m actually gonna give it a fair shot first. That sounds reasonable to me.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Also, piracy exists. You can support the show without your finances! I wouldn’t 100% encourage it, but it’s an option.

Author
Time

I have Disney+ anyway for the actual good stuff they have on there. If an episode REALLY puts me off I would consider pirating just so I don’t contribute to the view count.

It slightly annoys me that Star Wars is such an easy money maker, because nerds like me are so invested in the universe anyway that we’ll keep watching a series out of curiosity, even if we don’t like it that much. Piracy is a good way around this - you can indicate, even in such a small way, that you didn’t like a series - but also privately keep watching to see if it gets better anyway.

“Remember, the Force will be with you. Always.”

Author
Time

A reminder to be mindful of Rule 3. Let’s keep the discussion focused on the series.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Stepping softly in a danger zone…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BedeHistory731 said:

Also, piracy exists. You can support the show without your finances! I wouldn’t 100% encourage it, but it’s an option.

Watch it or don’t watch it, but be aware of stealing and our position on it. #3 and #4.

https://originaltrilogy.com/announcement/Fan-Edit-Preservation-Forum-Rules-and-FAQ-updated-as-of-June-1st-2020/id/5950/page/1#1351470

EDIT:
Sorry about that, Tobar . Didn’t read to the end of the page before I jumped in.

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:

BedeHistory731 said:

Also, piracy exists. You can support the show without your finances! I wouldn’t 100% encourage it, but it’s an option.

Watch it or don’t watch it, but be aware of stealing and our position on it. #3 and #4.

https://originaltrilogy.com/announcement/Fan-Edit-Preservation-Forum-Rules-and-FAQ-updated-as-of-June-1st-2020/id/5950/page/1#1351470

I’m well aware of the rules, as I own copies of all the movies I’ve seen fan edits of and I support official releases where I can.

Author
Time

Obi-Wan Kenobi | Announcement | Disney+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEuirQWecEw

They’ve moved the premiere date forward by two days to Friday May 27, and they’ll release the first two episodes at once.

Star Wars is Surrealism, not Science Fiction (essay)
Original Trilogy Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Beyond the OT Documentaries/Making-Ofs (YouTube, Vimeo, etc. finds)
Amazon link to my novel; Dawn of the Karabu.

Author
Time

Good. Twice the pride, double the fall (just kidding XD).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Give the us the reason why it has been delayed two days. Two days?

Is it because Bob in marketing accidentally used the masters tape to record an episode of Spongebob over it, and now they have to wait for the backup tapes of Obi-Wan to arrive? Plus, what has happened to Bob? Why didn’t anyone remove those tabs on the tapes so you cannot record over them? Or was this already done, and Bob put tape over the tabs so he could actually record over them? A bad move if this is what happened, Bob. We need another announcement, Ewan! #FreeBob

And release the full trailer too, Bob. Not the trailer for Spongebob, for Obi-Wan.

 

A short 20 second video has been leaked on r/StarWarsLeaks. Reportedly it is from a scene in the Obi-Wan series, but may be a fake, or April Fool?

I do not know the spoiler rules for linking a video for this kind of thing. So I have put the link to the video below in a Spoiler. If you do not want to know about this leak or what it contains, then please do not click on the “Expand” button below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ttcmav/obiwan_vader_fight_scene/

“The other Sequels were the result of an over-anxious press. The original intention was to make three [films], and that was really the end of it. It was not until 10 years after the first [film] that I thought of doing a back story.” - George Lucas, speaking at the Premiere of ROTS in 2005

Author
Time

Darth Retcon said:

A short 20 second video has been leaked on r/StarWarsLeaks. Reportedly it is from a scene in the Obi-Wan series, but may be a fake, or April Fool?

I do not know the spoiler rules for linking a video for this kind of thing. So I have put the link to the video below in a Spoiler. If you do not want to know about this leak or what it contains, then please do not click on the “Expand” button below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/ttcmav/obiwan_vader_fight_scene/

I clicked on it, and I hope that isn’t real. I am hoping it is a fake, maybe something from a fan film, or something for April 1st.

The Secret History of Star Wars | Star Wars Visual Comparisons | George Lucas: Star Wars Creator, Unreliable Narrator & Time-Travelling Revisionist