Sign In

The "I met a famous person" thread

Author
Time
 (Edited)

So about a week ago I ordered one of these:

A gummy fetus (to eat) with a USB drive with new music from the Flaming Lips.

Well, the USB drive didn't work...

So I got on twitter and tweeted Wayne Coyne about it and if he could help me.

He gave me his personal phone number.

I couldn't call him the first day because my dog almost choked to death. 

When, I called him he was cool, polite, nice, and kind. I told him who I was and he said "I wondered when you were gonna call." He offered to send me a new USB drive and I asked if he could sign it. He said "yes". I told him he was awesome in concert and he said thank you very much". Finally at the end of the call he said "I'm glad your dog is alright". I hung up starstruck and with a man crush.

TL;DR: Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips is a very nice man.

 

Author
Time

I've traveled to our east coast facilities twice. The first time, on the way back from DC I met Senator Dick Lugar (IN). The second time, Charles Barkley (NBA Star). The lady in front of me said as we were passing through First Class "Is that Shaq?". I said "No, it's Charles Barkley!" I introduced myself and shook his hand as we passed by, but I didn't want to crowd the line and didn't have anyone to take our picture anyway. I saw him once we got back to Indianapolis also, but I didn't go up to him.

One of my uncles went to high school with Jeff Gordon (NASCAR), so I've met him once.

My dad's girlfriend is related to Jared from the Subway commercials, though I haven't met him yet. Strangely enough, my wife HAS; her ex from high school was related to him from the other side.

I barely remember meeting Mohammad Ali at a toy drive once when I was very little.

Another one of my uncles worked in Hollywood. Once he was working on a movie with Michael Keaton, and my parents sent him a picture of my dressed up as Batman out there. He got it signed "From one Batman to another". Unfortunately I haven't seen it since my parents divorced 20 years ago. Both claim the other has it in a photo album, but neither can find it.

I was helping out with Fan Filtration's The Motion Picture edit and emailed Doug Trumbull about the original color of the Klingon ships. He actually responded the next day. I also asked Daren Dochterman if he wanted to help, but he declined, though we did have a discussion about the colors of the ships as well.

I emailed JW Rinzler complaining about all of the shots from the SE in his Making of books and he updated his blog a couple weeks later saying that it was brought to his attention and would be fixed in the next printing. He didn't actually respond to me, but it counts.

Felicia Day responded to one of my tweets once: http://twitter.com/#!/feliciaday/status/123211536876580865

As you can see, I have light brushes with fame. Not sure why. I've never gotten anyone's phone number, that's awesome that he did that for you. THAT'S customer service!

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress / Twitter

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I have had little to no brushes with fame.

I once saw Nathan Horton (Bruins hockey player) when I was walking down a sidewalk. I once missed seeing Robert Downey Jr. eating his lunch during a Universal Studio tour by a few minutes.

There's this pretty funny guy on YouTube called Nathan Barnatt: http://www.youtube.com/user/nathanjbarnatt

He's not that well known (only about 60,000 subscribers), but I've seen him in a couple commercials. Anyways, I've always liked his videos, so it made me happy when I saw that he had commented on a few of my own YouTube videos. I can't remember exactly what he said on each, but they were positive, something like "awesome video." 

Well, these are practically nothing compared to other people, but I'm fairly young so I'll see.

Author
Time

I just happen to be me.  Pretty lucky to have such regular contact with fame.

Author
Time

I just can't stop thinking of all the amusing places to publicly eat that Gummy Fetus!  

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time

sean wookie said:

So about a week ago I ordered one of these:

That has to be one of the most disturbing things a person can eat that I have ever seen.

<span style=“font-weight: bold;”>The Most Handsomest Guy on OT.com</span>

Author
Time

I met Benny Elias at Universal Studios. There I was, right near Hollywood, and who do I run into but a football player from MY OWN DAMN COUNTRY. It was really annoying.

Author
Time

I was in an airport and someone told me I had just missed Nick Mason by about five minutes walking through the terminal.

Author
Time

I've seen Ludacris in Costco. I didn't talk to him. He was apparently marketing some sort of alcohol. I also saw Anne Hathaway at a Starbucks. I didn't want to bother her, so I didn't ask for an autograph or anything.

Last but not least, I met George Lucas... he signed my issue of Star Wars #1. He was all right when I met him. This was around the time of a renewed interest in Star Wars when ROTS came out....

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I met SNL/Police Academy alum Tim Kazurinsky several times.

His office was down the hallway from my aunt and uncle, and when I was about 11, I used to get to visit him once in awhile. He'd tell me jokes, he read a couple of my creative writing assignments and gave me tips, he'd show me his collection of movie posters that hung all over his office and tell me interesting stories about them.

I bumped into David Schwimmer at a Chicago music fest once, said, "Excuse me" and kept walking before I realized who it was.

And I swear I saw Ham from The Sandlot all grown up in Vegas a few years back:

I keep remembering more. I sat a few rows in front of Kurtwood Smith ("Red" Forman) at a performance of Romeo and Juliet at Navy Pier.

One more. When I went to see Mission Impossible III in the theater, there was a very annoying group of teenagers who kept getting up and texting and being obnoxious. At the end, as we're filing out, who is their chaperone, but none other than Harold Ramis.

Author
Time

I have had conversations with the people below.

 

Mark Leonard

Bibi Besch

Patrick Troughton

Jello Biafra

James Dohan

 

John Nathan Turner

 

Gene Roddenberry

Colin Baker

 

 


 

 

“First feel fear, then get angry. Then go with your life into the fight.” - Bill Mollison

Author
Time
 (Edited)


sean wookie said:
So about a week ago I ordered one of these:

...

A gummy fetus (to eat)
What the fuck? This is so offensive, but somehow I'm not surprised, given that you were the one who posted that "punch the woman in the stomach abortion" anime picture.

That Flaming Lips guy might be a very nice man, but if he knows about this and condones it, he's an asshole.

Author
Time

FanFiltration said:

I have had conversations with the people below.

So, you go to a lot of conventions.

Author
Time

TV's Frink said:

 


sean wookie said:
So about a week ago I ordered one of these:

...

A gummy fetus (to eat)
What the fuck? This is so offensive, but somehow I'm not surprised, given that you were the one who posted that "punch the woman in the stomach abortion" anime picture.

That Flaming Lips guy might be a very nice man, but if he knows about this and condones it, he's an asshole.

 

I'm glad you had the guts to say what I did not.  I know there is an abortion debate, but I really cannot stand the dehumanization of unborn children.  Even if abortion is justified (and in my mind, it isn't nearly as often as our society allows), I don't see this as classy at all.  A dead corpse is no more human than a a fetus, yet should we treat a dead person with disrespect?  (to allow this to stay on topic, if anyone hates what I've said and wishes to continue this conversation, please go to the politics thread)

Author
Time

Yeah, the only reason I didn't speak up before was to not derail the point of the thread.  Please carry on, and remember that you are arguing with a famous debater ;)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

darth_ender said:

TV's Frink said:

 


sean wookie said:
So about a week ago I ordered one of these:

...

A gummy fetus (to eat)
What the fuck? This is so offensive, but somehow I'm not surprised, given that you were the one who posted that "punch the woman in the stomach abortion" anime picture.

That Flaming Lips guy might be a very nice man, but if he knows about this and condones it, he's an asshole.

 

I'm glad you had the guts to say what I did not.  I know there is an abortion debate, but I really cannot stand the dehumanization of unborn children.  Even if abortion is justified (and in my mind, it isn't nearly as often as our society allows), I don't see this as classy at all.  A dead corpse is no more human than a a fetus, yet should we treat a dead person with disrespect?  (to allow this to stay on topic, if anyone hates what I've said and wishes to continue this conversation, please go to the politics thread)

It has nothing to do with abortion. It represents life. He had a gummy skull:http://flaminglips.com/shop/item/589/the-hollywood-cemetery-skull/ to reprensent death. Wayne would never sink so low.

Author
Time

The Aluminum Falcon said:

Last but not least, I met George Lucas... he signed my issue of Star Wars #1. He was all right when I met him. This was around the time of a renewed interest in Star Wars when ROTS came out....

How old were you? Nine?

I forgot to mention that I'm a HUGE Flaming Lips fan. They always think of something interesting to do with anything they can think of, however I do have mixed feelings about this one. I must admit, it certainly is creative.....

Author
Time

One of my high school teachers claimed to have been a distant relative of Canada's first Prime Minister ...

TRANSMODERNISM > POSTMODERNISM > MODERNISM > PREMODERNISM

Author
Time

Actually I'd forgotten, but your story reminded me that I had a high school English teacher who said he went to the same school as Mark Hamill.

Author
Time

I saw George Burns on the other side of a restaurant window. I guess I didn't really meet him, but I could have if I wasn't so hungry.

Author
Time

doubleofive said:

I've traveled to our east coast facilities twice. The first time, on the way back from DC I met Senator Dick Lugar (IN). The second time, Charles Barkley (NBA Star). The lady in front of me said as we were passing through First Class "Is that Shaq?". I said "No, it's Charles Barkley!" I introduced myself and shook his hand as we passed by, but I didn't want to crowd the line and didn't have anyone to take our picture anyway. I saw him once we got back to Indianapolis also, but I didn't go up to him.

One of my uncles went to high school with Jeff Gordon (NASCAR), so I've met him once.

My dad's girlfriend is related to Jared from the Subway commercials, though I haven't met him yet. Strangely enough, my wife HAS; her ex from high school was related to him from the other side.

I barely remember meeting Mohammad Ali at a toy drive once when I was very little.

Another one of my uncles worked in Hollywood. Once he was working on a movie with Michael Keaton, and my parents sent him a picture of my dressed up as Batman out there. He got it signed "From one Batman to another". Unfortunately I haven't seen it since my parents divorced 20 years ago. Both claim the other has it in a photo album, but neither can find it.

I was helping out with Fan Filtration's The Motion Picture edit and emailed Doug Trumbull about the original color of the Klingon ships. He actually responded the next day. I also asked Daren Dochterman if he wanted to help, but he declined, though we did have a discussion about the colors of the ships as well.

I emailed JW Rinzler complaining about all of the shots from the SE in his Making of books and he updated his blog a couple weeks later saying that it was brought to his attention and would be fixed in the next printing. He didn't actually respond to me, but it counts.

Felicia Day responded to one of my tweets once: http://twitter.com/#!/feliciaday/status/123211536876580865

As you can see, I have light brushes with fame. Not sure why. I've never gotten anyone's phone number, that's awesome that he did that for you. THAT'S customer service!

I, TOO, HAVE MET SIR CHARLES.

"I'VE GROWN TIRED OF ASKING, SO THIS WILL BE THE LAST TIME..."
The Mangler Bros. Psycho Dayv Armchaireviews Notes on Suicide

Author
Time

PSYCHO_DAYV said:


I, TOO, HAVE MET SIR CHARLES.
I shoock the hand that at one point shook the hand of DAYV? I'm honored to have Sir Charles be the proxy between us!

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress / Twitter

Author
Time

Ziggy Stardust said:

The Aluminum Falcon said:

Last but not least, I met George Lucas... he signed my issue of Star Wars #1. He was all right when I met him. This was around the time of a renewed interest in Star Wars when ROTS came out....

How old were you? Nine?

I forgot to mention that I'm a HUGE Flaming Lips fan. They always think of something interesting to do with anything they can think of, however I do have mixed feelings about this one. I must admit, it certainly is creative.....

Ever see them in concert? They are fucking awesome!