^ If I understand correctly, you are taking GOUT-synced audio and trying to match it to non-GOUT-synced video. Reversing the scripts at the start of the thread to obtain time-codes is possible, but it is likely to make your brain hurt, and it’s probably better to find another method. (It’s also kind of topic for this thread because, as you say, you are doing the opposite.)
Which releases do you have in mind anyway? I seem to recall that some people have already synced various audio mixes to the SSE and the like and posted them on the spleen.
Oh, I realize it’s off-topic, and it wasn’t intended as a derail so much as a bump. It just occurred to me while trying to do this reverse engineering that I never adequately explained why I was having such a hard time with this, so I might be missing a better solution.
This is all about subtitles for me, not audio. My basic project subtitles are NTSC GOUT-synced. So to make them sync with other projects, I put them through a Python script that assigns each release a series of timecodes and offsets. Such as, for PSB, at timecode 12:45, subtract .083 seconds (remove two frames), and so on. It’s almost always about where to subtract frames and how many to subtract, but some releases have a little padding at the beginning so there’s some positive adjustments too.
I’ve already kinda sorta manually synced against all the projects I really care about (Puggo and the initial GrindHouse/SSE releases, and PAL GOUT just for kicks… not that it matters with subtitles). They’re not frame-perfect but it’s subtitles so it still works. I’m just feeling a little dread about the upcoming ROTP release. The manual subtitle sync process is… slow, error-prone, and not so fun.