Sign In

The Force Awakens - The Starlight Project — Page 25

Author
Time

Threepio does say “afraid” often though, that’s how they had Alec Guiness say Rey in TFA.

Author
Time

TK42-WAN said:

Threepio does say “afraid” often though, that’s how they had Alec Guiness say Rey in TFA.

Very true, which means it’s technically possible. Twist my arm why don’t you 😉

As for the ‘darker’ music when Rey defeats Kylo, here’s how it might sound:

https://vimeo.com/332376936

Password: fanedit

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

I think it works pretty well! I kind of liked how you made the shot of Kylo on the ground start glowing red like in the last version you did. The cut back and forth between Kylo, Rey, then back to Kylo feels a little too quick to me. But I think the music works well there, it flows with the scene.

Author
Time

RogueLeader said:

I think it works pretty well! I kind of liked how you made the shot of Kylo on the ground start glowing red like in the last version you did. The cut back and forth between Kylo, Rey, then back to Kylo feels a little too quick to me. But I think the music works well there, it flows with the scene.

You mean the cuts right before the base fires? I agree that it’s too short, but there’s not much to work with and I artificially lengthened them as much as I dared.

SomethingStarWarsRelated said:

Just curious, has anyone attempted to speed up the slo mo shots and make them “real time”?

Do you mean the ones I slowed down, or some others in the scene?

Going back to the R2 scene, BB-8 now explicitly includes Rey and I think it works much better this way:

https://vimeo.com/333180383

Password: fanedit

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SomethingStarWarsRelated said:
Just curious, has anyone attempted to speed up the slo mo shots and make them “real time”?

NeverarGreat said:
Do you mean the ones I slowed down, or some others in the scene?

He’s talking about the obviously slow-mo shot of Rey, breaving heavily and looking down at Kylo after having just beaten him in the lightsaber battle. Look at the snow falling around her and you can see it’s been slowed down. Was like this in the original version of the film.

“The Ziggy Edit” — A Conceptual Fanedit of Return of the Jedi

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-The-Ziggy-Edit/id/17844

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

Going back to the R2 scene, BB-8 now explicitly includes Rey and I think it works much better this way:

I agree that I do think this is better. I think that the wipe from Artoo to the nighttime shot comes a little too quick though. I feel like the timing of the music and the shot of Artoo needs to be fixed somewhat. Can the Force theme that’s playing maybe start a second or two later than where it is currently? That way the camera can be fixed on Artoo for another second while the theme comes to a close and before the wipe comes?

“The Ziggy Edit” — A Conceptual Fanedit of Return of the Jedi

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-The-Ziggy-Edit/id/17844

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ziggyonice said:

NeverarGreat said:

Going back to the R2 scene, BB-8 now explicitly includes Rey and I think it works much better this way:

I agree that I do think this is better. I think that the wipe from Artoo to the nighttime shot comes a little too quick though. I feel like the timing of the music and the shot of Artoo needs to be fixed somewhat. Can the Force theme that’s playing maybe start a second or two later than where it is currently? That way the camera can be fixed on Artoo for another second while the theme comes to a close and before the wipe comes?

Agreed.

Here it is shifted and tweaked a bit, and I’ve also pretty much finished the nighttime shot (done with live action within a matte OT style):

https://vimeo.com/333644596

Password: fanedit

The Rings of D'Qar

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

This is cool! I’m digging the nighttime matte you’ve made.

What you’ve done so far is impressive work, although I’m still not 100% sold on the Rey/BB-8 stuff, but it could be my own bias. Unrelated to the vfx work so far, I guess it doesn’t feel totally like it actually fits in with the movie yet. Like it isn’t completely seamless logically.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Man, that sequence looks beautiful. I mean really, it is nearly perfect. It has come a long way since you first worked on this scene, and I really think it’s possible for the viewer to connect it with Rey’s “Forceback.”

The only thing that might further enhance it is that, after BB-8 gets Rey’s attention (after the medical lady says, “Your friend is going to be just fine”), I think we need a tighter shot on BB-8 and Artoo. This was difficult to explain, so — I hope you don’t mind — but I took your video and then cut it myself to show you what I mean:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTw6TzuCPAPO0i2ki53XZEhJGzeznURn/view?usp=sharing

I just reused the previous shot and then reversed it. The only tough thing about this is that it would require putting an “eye” on BB-8 or rotating his head. However, I think this change helps the audience focus a little more on what BB-8 is wanting Rey to look at: Artoo.

RogueLeader said:

I’m still not 100% sold on the Rey/BB-8 stuff, but it could be my own bias. Unrelated to the vfx work so far, I guess it doesn’t feel totally like it actually fits in with the movie yet. Like it isn’t completely seamless logically.

I could go either way on this. I think the shocked look on Rey’s face and the close up on Artoo helps to connect the dots.

If we wanted to make it more obvious, there’s only one thing I can think of: have Rey say Luke’s name. You could maybe use a voiceover from when she says Luke’s name during her conversation with Maz. But I kind of feel like a voiceover would make the edit seem rather amateur. If she says Luke’s name, we need to see her say it. Maybe some rotoscoping magic by cutting her out of the scene with Maz.

“The Ziggy Edit” — A Conceptual Fanedit of Return of the Jedi

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-The-Ziggy-Edit/id/17844

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ziggyonice said:

Man, that sequence looks beautiful. I mean really, it is nearly perfect. It has come a long way since you first worked on this scene, and I really think it’s possible for the viewer to connect it with Rey’s “Forceback.”

The only thing that might further enhance it is that, after BB-8 gets Rey’s attention (after the medical lady says, “Your friend is going to be just fine”), I think we need a tighter shot on BB-8 and Artoo. This was difficult to explain, so — I hope you don’t mind — but I took your video and then cut it myself to show you what I mean:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTw6TzuCPAPO0i2ki53XZEhJGzeznURn/view?usp=sharing

I just reused the previous shot and then reversed it. The only tough thing about this is that it would require putting an “eye” on BB-8 or rotating his head. However, I think this change helps the audience focus a little more on what BB-8 is wanting Rey to look at: Artoo.

Great idea! It would take some doing to swivel BB-8’s dome, but the shot it replaced wasn’t entirely effective either so I wouldn’t mind it being replaced.

RogueLeader said:

I’m still not 100% sold on the Rey/BB-8 stuff, but it could be my own bias. Unrelated to the vfx work so far, I guess it doesn’t feel totally like it actually fits in with the movie yet. Like it isn’t completely seamless logically.

I could go either way on this. I think the shocked look on Rey’s face and the close up on Artoo helps to connect the dots.

If we wanted to make it more obvious, there’s only one thing I can think of: have Rey say Luke’s name. You could maybe use a voiceover from when she says Luke’s name during her conversation with Maz. But I kind of feel like a voiceover would make the edit seem rather amateur. If she says Luke’s name, we need to see her say it. Maybe some rotoscoping magic by cutting her out of the scene with Maz.

This is why I haven’t even attempted it here, since it didn’t work in a similar situation earlier in the edit (Rey’s dream sequence).

RL, it’s true that this whole concept is a bit more nebulous than the movie it’s in, but that may have to do more with the obviousness of the movie than this execution, if you know what I’m saying. Like the audience has been primed to expect everything to be explained and right at the end we’re hit with something different. My argument for keeping the change anyway is that R2’s waking up is already unexplained (or merely coincidental in Restructured). Either way this change is the first one to actually explain why R2 wakes up just in time for the end of the movie. That, as well as the previously mentioned benefits to Rey’s agency, means I’m still pretty happy with it.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

^good point! Honestly the way R2 wakes up is one of the silliest things of the new movies of you think about it. It is just surprising no one was like, “wait, how did R2 wake up?” And the only reason I think they got away with it is because a lot of people thought that it might be explained in the next movie!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is random but I was just reviewing your original changelist. Not sure how much of this is still accurate, but I really hope you’ve changed your mind about removing Rey’s journey to Ahch-To to meet Luke.

That entire sequence — the build up to seeing Luke’s face and the haunting sounds of “The Jedi Steps” — is probably among of the most defining moments in the entire saga. I think it’s up there with Han shooting first, Anakin burning in lava, and Vader’s reveal as Luke’s father.

Getting rid of that ending is something I just don’t think I can get on board with. It’s probably my favorite part of The Force Awakens. Your other changes, however, have been very well done. Just my opinion.

“The Ziggy Edit” — A Conceptual Fanedit of Return of the Jedi

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-The-Ziggy-Edit/id/17844

Author
Time

What are your thoughts on not erasing the ending entirely, but moving it to the beginning of Episode VIII?

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

ziggyonice said:

This is random but I was just reviewing your original changelist. Not sure how much of this is still accurate, but I really hope you’ve changed your mind about removing Rey’s journey to Ahch-To to meet Luke.

That entire sequence — the build up to seeing Luke’s face and the haunting sounds of “The Jedi Steps” — is probably among of the most defining moments in the entire saga. I think it’s up there with Han shooting first, Anakin burning in lava, and Vader’s reveal as Luke’s father.

Getting rid of that ending is something I just don’t think I can get on board with. It’s probably my favorite part of The Force Awakens. Your other changes, however, have been very well done. Just my opinion.

He isn’t removing it completely, just repurposing it as a dream sequence right before Rey’s interrogation.

Author
Time

I’m trying to get around to watching all of your clips. I just watched “Poe Shoots First”. Wow. Absolutely wow. I can’t believe how well this works. I love how Kylo “searches” Poe. The ONE thing I would suggest is once Kylo says “Put him on board” the camera follows him and you see Phasma enter the shot. I would cut before she enters the frame.

MyYouTubeChannel

Author
Time

This is looking like it might be the best TFA edit out there. Can’t wait for the full product, thanks for taking the time to do this!

Author
Time
 (Edited)

ziggyonice said:

This is random but I was just reviewing your original changelist. Not sure how much of this is still accurate, but I really hope you’ve changed your mind about removing Rey’s journey to Ahch-To to meet Luke.

That entire sequence — the build up to seeing Luke’s face and the haunting sounds of “The Jedi Steps” — is probably among of the most defining moments in the entire saga. I think it’s up there with Han shooting first, Anakin burning in lava, and Vader’s reveal as Luke’s father.

Getting rid of that ending is something I just don’t think I can get on board with. It’s probably my favorite part of The Force Awakens. Your other changes, however, have been very well done. Just my opinion.

I agree that it’s a great scene, it just doesn’t really work for me as a literal cliffhanger at the end of TFA.

ChainsawAsh said:

What are your thoughts on not erasing the ending entirely, but moving it to the beginning of Episode VIII?

That would be okay if I were sure I was doing a TLJ edit but that’s far from certain (although it’s not for a lack of ideas!). Moreover, TFA feels incomplete without some resolution to the search for Luke in that movie.

StarkillerAG said:

ziggyonice said:

This is random but I was just reviewing your original changelist. Not sure how much of this is still accurate, but I really hope you’ve changed your mind about removing Rey’s journey to Ahch-To to meet Luke.

That entire sequence — the build up to seeing Luke’s face and the haunting sounds of “The Jedi Steps” — is probably among of the most defining moments in the entire saga. I think it’s up there with Han shooting first, Anakin burning in lava, and Vader’s reveal as Luke’s father.

Getting rid of that ending is something I just don’t think I can get on board with. It’s probably my favorite part of The Force Awakens. Your other changes, however, have been very well done. Just my opinion.

He isn’t removing it completely, just repurposing it as a dream sequence right before Rey’s interrogation.

That was the plan for a while, but it didn’t really work.

However, now that I have R2 find the map at night with Rey nowhere in sight, it begs the question of what she’s doing at that moment. Sleeping would be the obvious answer, but what better place to put the dream of the island? Honestly I didn’t intend for this when making the night shot though it probably should have occurred sooner:

https://vimeo.com/334596045

Password: fanedit

Acbagel said:

This is looking like it might be the best TFA edit out there. Can’t wait for the full product, thanks for taking the time to do this!

Thanks, it’s much appreciated!

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

That is a serendipitous coincidence that the dream could fit there. I do think this version is pretty vague to work as-is. I think people might be confused and not immediately realize it is a dream.

It’s a challenge. To play devil’s advocate (like I have been doing to you a lot lately! Sorry if it is becoming annoying!), I think the more that is added, the more you’re spacing out the climax from the end of the film, and I think ending would work better if we were moving more briskly from Starkiller blowing up, to the Resistance Base, to the ending. On the other hand, it might work for your version though since you’re cutting the Jedi Steps (at least physically).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

No worries, I appreciate your constructive criticism 😃

The un-dreamlike nature of the shots is the biggest problem for sure, but the length of the ending is actually shortened from the original, which was almost exactly 6 minutes from the shot of Chewie grieving to the end credits. My version right now clocks in at 4:45.

BTW, the entire edit sans credits is 2 hours and 13 seconds on the timeline, cutting 7 minutes from the original.

JEDIT: Updated the map reveal sequence slightly. Rey should probably be erased from the first shot of that scene since she’s supposed to be asleep and in the new costume, but that’s in the realm of the possible.

https://vimeo.com/334596045

Password: fanedit

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

Anyone who has watched Digmod’s Heir to the Force edit has seen the end of the Jedi Steps cue used for the Falcon leaving the base, and while it’s integrated quite well it still feels odd. The only good place to iris out is on top of the Falcon jumping to hyperspace, and it’s quite abrupt.

In light of this, I found an alternate cue which I think works better and gives a moment of silence before the credits:

https://vimeo.com/334803527

Password: fanedit

For a final implementation I would like to have the Falcon jump across the frame with the added camera movement following it into space.

DuracellEnergizer: “^He’s embraced the absurd. Don’t expect to gain any conventional understanding from his posts.”
A New Hope Technicolor Recreation (Released!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V2 Released!) and The Starlight Project

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

No worries, I appreciate your constructive criticism 😃

The un-dreamlike nature of the shots is the biggest problem for sure, but the length of the ending is actually shortened from the original, which was almost exactly 6 minutes from the shot of Chewie grieving to the end credits. My version right now clocks in at 4:45.

BTW, the entire edit sans credits is 2 hours and 13 seconds on the timeline, cutting 7 minutes from the original.

JEDIT: Updated the map reveal sequence slightly. Rey should probably be erased from the first shot of that scene since she’s supposed to be asleep and in the new costume, but that’s in the realm of the possible.

https://vimeo.com/334596045

Password: fanedit

I absolutely love this in concept, and I think you executed it incredibly well, nitpicks aside. I think initiating a more clearly defined dream quality to that sequence, and possibly a way to show her waking up, and this would be perfect.

The best part of this, in my opinion, is that the cloudy/foggy weather now fits perfectly as a slightly erie dream sequence, and doesn’t create the minor continuity error that exists between TFA and TLJ’s sunny shoot on Skellig Michael.

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

I agree that it’s a great scene, it just doesn’t really work for me as a literal cliffhanger at the end of TFA.

What could I do to convince you to consider more than one version of your fanedit?

Multiple versions of the same fanedit are not uncommon. You have so much very good content that you’ve worked on here. I just believe that the ending scene with Luke is a defining moment for the saga. However, opinions like mine here are not uncommon — everyone has their own take on things and are looking for their “go to” version of their favorite fanedit, after all.

If there’s any way I can convince you or help you make an alternate version, please let me know. It isn’t terribly difficult, especially with the cost of storage being so cheap. Plus, you’d be opening the door to more people being able to enjoy your work based on their version they most enjoy.

You don’t have to answer now, but please at least consider it for the future.

“The Ziggy Edit” — A Conceptual Fanedit of Return of the Jedi

https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Episode-VI-Return-of-the-Jedi-The-Ziggy-Edit/id/17844