Sign In

The Force Awakens: The Starlight Project - (WIP) WORKPRINT V4 RELEASED — Page 58

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve heard back from SirRidley who has kindly allowed me to use their scene recreation of Han hanging the dice (Password: fanedit), so I’m starting work on the uncompleted shot. I think the only workable solution would be to view the action from outside the cockpit and frame it through several of the windows:

https://i.imgur.com/5yga6Kw.jpg

Obviously the big camera and other rubbish would have to be removed, as well as changing the background to the ship hangar, but it looks possible.

Anyone who looks at this image for more than a second will notice that the perspective is…off. That’s because the best image I could find of the Falcon cockpit was from this shot of ESB, and the perspective is a bit more right-leaning than in the BTS footage. I also don’t have access to a 4K version of ESB so this was from internet screencaps.

However, I know the community’s knowledge of BTS photos is both wide and deep, so I beseech thee to harness thine mighty powers and tell me if I’m missing that high-res photo of the Falcon cockpit exterior that perfectly matches this angle:

Han Dice

If no such superior image exists, a true 4K still or clip from this shot in ESB would be most helpful. 😃

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

That mock-up image looks very promising! And at first glance I didn’t even notice the camera gear still there. If this scene gets completed I’d be ecstatic.

“Always in motion is the future”

Author
Time

There might be something usable in the Millennium Falcon ship vid from Disney+? I don’t have access to it at the moment but I can check tomorrow and let you know. If not, I think I can scare up a 4K clip of that shot if you let me know at the timestamp is.

“That’s not how the Force works!”

Author
Time

Your work on finishing this scene will be really awesome! 🍺

Author
Time

That’ll be really valuable if possible. TLJ and Solo made a thing out of the dice, so it’d be good if TFA can too.

They were visible in the OT, weren’t they? If not in focus. Is anyone aware of any edits done to the OT to highlight them better?

Author
Time

EddieDean said:

They were visible in the OT, weren’t they? If not in focus. Is anyone aware of any edits done to the OT to highlight them better?

This is the only shot in the entire trilogy they are visible on camera. I’m not aware of any edits that feature them more prominently, though I would be very much in favour of any that could pull it off.

My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones!
YouTube
Instagram

Author
Time

Nice easter egg in there and any further TLJ connections are so welcome.

Author
Time

Or to The Rise of Skywalker.

The name’s Lawson. Noah Lawson.

Author
Time

Wow, that’s a cool idea. Great work.

“Always in motion is the future”

Author
Time

The implication here could be that Rey might have left it specifically for Finn before being taken by Leia rather than Leia having the other one from the outset. Either way, it’s just a fun thing for sharp eyes to notice for the two seconds it’s in frame.

Also, just a reminder that I’m still on the lookout for HQ reference images of the Falcon cockpit.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

That little extra detail of the binary beacon is fantastic Nev!
Mate, how the hell do you get these ideas??

Regarding the Falcon shot, maybe I’m just an idiot, but I don’t see the issue with the angle of the cockpit between the TFA shot and the one from Empire… If it is noticeable to some, surely obscuring most of the behind the scenes shot with the glass and window frame would completely sell it. At least it does in my head… ¯\(ツ)

My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones!
YouTube
Instagram

Author
Time

Well in the mockup I posted, I only replaced two window panes with the BTS footage. In the left front window you can just see in the shadows the ESB cockpit door. The door is repeated in the BTS footage behind Han, which means that the perspective is shifted a good meter or so to the right at the back of the cockpit. I could line up the perspective more accurately, but if I do that then Han’s face is obscured by a window pane. Notice also that part of the BTS cockpit is curving down from the ceiling into the window area, which would need to be fixed.

So basically, I had to misalign the shots to create an acceptable composition. If I had a more straight-on view, the misalignment could be sold more easily.

If it’s not a big deal to anyone I could go ahead and work from this, but it’s not entirely ideal.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

NeverarGreat said:

Well in the mockup I posted, I only replaced two window panes with the BTS footage. In the left front window you can just see in the shadows the ESB cockpit door. The door is repeated in the BTS footage behind Han, which means that the perspective is shifted a good meter or so to the right at the back of the cockpit. I could line up the perspective more accurately, but if I do that then Han’s face is obscured by a window pane. Notice also that part of the BTS cockpit is curving down from the ceiling into the window area, which would need to be fixed.

So basically, I had to misalign the shots to create an acceptable composition. If I had a more straight-on view, the misalignment could be sold more easily.

If it’s not a big deal to anyone I could go ahead and work from this, but it’s not entirely ideal.

I think the angle you have in the proof of concept shot is 100% okay. Are you going to have to just mask out the camera rig that’s in the shot? Seems like it will be a pain in the ass, but considering some of the other things you’ve already done, I think you have the skills to do it. At least it is just a single, brief shot.

Author
Time

Then I won’t worry about it. 😃

I will have to take out the camera rig, as well as remove some of the ceiling and maybe some of the man to the left of Han if he enters shot. The worst bit of this shot will probably be when Han’s face goes half-behind the camera rig. I’ve never had to do that level of reconstructive surgery.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

Are you planning to use the same musical cue from Solo as Ridley did? Perhaps you could trim the shot before his face moves in front of it. You kind of end up with weird continuity between that shot and the following shot regardless. At the very lest that could be an option if that ends up being too difficult.

Author
Time

Is it possible in the shot where Kylo Ren’s saber is glowing before he turns it on to kill Lor San Tekka to digitally remove the glow than cropping it out? Just curious.

The name’s Lawson. Noah Lawson.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

RogueLeader said:

Are you planning to use the same musical cue from Solo as Ridley did? Perhaps you could trim the shot before his face moves in front of it. You kind of end up with weird continuity between that shot and the following shot regardless. At the very lest that could be an option if that ends up being too difficult.

That’s a possibility, especially since we were planning on making a new shot of the dice directly after that shot.

Master Lawdog said:

Is it possible in the shot where Kylo Ren’s saber is glowing before he turns it on to kill Lor San Tekka to digitally remove the glow than cropping it out? Just curious.

I tried that first, but it’s a very strong glow across a lot of the shot and it was rather untenable to fix the bottom of the frame. I recall it barely worked to fix the rest of it.

You probably don’t recognize me because of the red arm.
Episode 9 Rewrite, The Starlight Project (Workprint V4 Released!) and ANH Technicolor Project (Released!)

Author
Time

Nice idea and execution with the beacon!

Well done. I will disengage self-destruct initiative.