Sign In

The Force Awakens: Official Review Thread - ** SPOILERS ** — Page 75

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Anchorhead said:

Don’t we already have a thread devoted to voicing disappointments with The Force Awakens? Yeah, I thought we did. Want to discuss problems and dislikes with it in this thread? - by all means. Want to thread-crap? - no.

We also have threads devoted to what we liked about the film, about the effects, about possible fan edit ideas etc so if we don’t talk about aspects covered by other threads here what’s this thread for?

It was inevitable that the two threads (spoiler and spoiler free) would split but personally I think as long as it’s on topic and within the rules people should be able to post with what their gut is telling them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

Anchorhead said:

Don’t we already have a thread devoted to voicing disappointments with The Force Awakens? Yeah, I thought we did. Want to discuss problems and dislikes with it in this thread? - by all means. Want to thread-crap? - no.

We also have threads devoted to what we liked about the film, about the effects, about possible fan edit ideas etc so if we don’t talk about aspects covered by other threads here what’s this thread for?

It was inevitable that the two threads (spoiler and spoiler free) would split but personally I think as long as it’s on topic and within the rules people should be able to post with what their gut is telling them.

I agree fully. What I removed had zero to do with the film.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:
I agree fully. What I removed had zero to do with the film.

Sorry I was quick off the draw with that response 😃
The thread should be about talking just about the film and opinions of the film with a bit of wiggle room.
I would suggest if we find ourselves repeatedly posting posts about posts or just mocking people for their opinions we just take take it to off topic where I won’t comment on it 😄

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I just saw TFA for the fourth time. This time on 70mm IMAX (I’ve also seen it in IMAX 3D, digital 2d and regular 2d).

4 viewings and I still really love it.

None of the things people (including me) have previously grumbled about bothered me. I even didn’t mind the Rathtars this time 😃

Being as familiar with the beats of the film as I now am, watching it was a similar experience to when I watch the OT… I know what’s coming next and happily go long for the ride.

Some new observations:

I don’t get people who say the music is weak. To me it’s a great mix of familiar and new. Rey’s theme is great, the strings that come in when Han dies are great, and there are some really nice big sweeping moments throughout, coupled with some lovely tender bits. The score pulls off the neat trick of being its own thing but still being undeniably a Star Wars score. And there are a couple of the themes stuck in my head right now.

The editing. It’s fast, frenetic and full of energy. I love it. It drags me into the film and won’t let go. People who complain about the editing are free to have their own opinion but I disagree with it (and in some cases I think they might not know what’s meant by ‘editing’, and are complaining about something else).

Rey… After 4 viewings I’m pretty sure that Rey is Han and Leia’s daughter. The way Han looks at her, the way he feels bad (or guilty?) when she says she “never thought there was this much green in the whole galaxy”, the way Leia hugs her instead of Chewie, the way Kylo Ren reacts to news of a girl helping BB-8 escape (“what girl?!”)… My theory is that Ben Solo had a younger sister and when he went bad they hid Rey to stop it from happening to her too.

This would make Kylo Ren and Rey equals. They are both the grandchildren of Darth Vader. Maybe the fact that one is good and one is bad is what’s meant by ‘balance to the force’.

War does not make one great.

Author
Time

Rey… After 4 viewings I’m pretty sure that Rey is Han and Leia’s daughter. The way Han looks at her, the way he feels bad (or guilty?) when she says she “never thought there was this much green in the whole galaxy”, the way Leia hugs her instead of Chewie, the way Kylo Ren reacts to news of a girl helping BB-8 escape (“what girl?!”)… My theory is that Ben Solo had a younger sister and when he went bad they hid Rey to stop it from happening to her too.

This would make Kylo Ren and Rey equals. They are both the grandchildren of Darth Vader. Maybe the fact that one is good and one is bad is what’s meant by ‘balance to the force’.

Yeah had the same thought myself on my third viewing funny enough. The way han looks sort of guilty at that moment, although could be the guilt of an uncle an auntie who didn’t step in when the shit hit the fan.

Author
Time

Yoda Is Your Father said:
My theory is that Ben Solo had a younger sister and when he went bad they hid Rey to stop it from happening to her too.

I’m leaning more towards cousin because of the look Luke gave her and I think she definitely was at the Jedi Academy and his minimalist training. Maybe a rudimentary practice in Shii-cho which to my recollection is the form that Jedi’s learn first in terms of lightsaber dueling. After Kylo Ren and The Knights of Ren destroyed it all her mind was wiped by Luke. I also think the part in the Force Flashback is a false memory I think she was 10 - 13 when her mind was wiped. This is the wildest of speculation.

I believe in Rian Johnson

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

I love how Maz asks “Who’s the girl?” and then cut before Han can answer.

I don’t like it as much as

[Beru said:]
Luke’s just not a farmer Owen; he has too much of his father in him.
[Owen said:]
That’s what I’m afraid of

but I like it nonetheless. Just a small example of how TFA excels at building anticipation for the sequels. I haven’t been this excited for something in a long long time.

I believe in Rian Johnson

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Saw it again yesterday for the first time since New Years to see what it’s like now that the new Star Wars smell has worn off a little. I still love it. The more I get to know it, the more I’m willing to forgive its shortcomings. Kind of like how it is with these three other movies I really love.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Lord Haseo said:

TV’s Frink said:

I love how Maz asks “Who’s the girl?” and then cut before Han can answer.

I don’t like it as much as

[Beru said:]
Luke’s just not a farmer Owen; he has too much of his father in him.
[Owen said:]
That’s what I’m afraid of

That Owen\Beru exchange is nearly throw-away in the context of the 1977 story. Years before the familial universe shrinking, it was little more than a way to show he wasn’t going to be content as a farmer. It foreshadows something Lucas had no intention of ever addressing in his one-film story.

Edit; I mean - what Bingo said. 😉
I’m going to have to give this whole reading to the end of the page thing a try.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:

it was little more than a way to show he wasn’t going to be content as a farmer.

Much as we all like some mild Lucas bashing from time to time 😉 SW77 does say that Luke’s father was murdered by another Jedi (Regardless of any other information imparted in ESB and ROTJ). So I think it’s pretty logical to assume Owen/Lucas was refering to this when he grimly said/wrote “That’s what I’m affraid of” rather than just refrencing Luke’s dislike of farming.

VIZ TOP TIPS! - PARENTS. Impress your children by showing them a floppy disk and telling them it’s a 3D model of a save icon.

Author
Time

Ryan McAvoy said:

Anchorhead said:

it was little more than a way to show he wasn’t going to be content as a farmer.

Much as we all like some mild Lucas bashing from time to time 😉 SW77 does say that Luke’s father was murdered by another Jedi (Regardless of any other information imparted in ESB and ROTJ). So I think it’s pretty logical to assume Owen/Lucas was refering to this when he grimly said/wrote “That’s what I’m affraid of” rather than just refrencing Luke’s dislike of farming.

Well he means Luke’s father disliked farming as well and that’s what led to him becoming a Jedi and dying. So you’re both right.

Author
Time

With all the stress of opening night, and spoiler avoidance issues behind me, my second and third viewings were where I could simply enjoy the movie.

Two things I picked up on, we hear the junk dealer’s voice in Rey’s childhood flashback, (I thought it was Max Von Sydow’s voice the first time around) and Luke is definitely standing in front of a very old grave.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Skipped around the soundtrack a bit in the car today, and I’m picking up some serious Beethoven vibes on March of the Resistance. It’s really not a style I’ve ever associated with Williams in the past, but he absolutely knocks the orchestration out of the park on that one.

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Luke is definitely standing in front of a very old grave.

I was wondering about that myself. Seen it 4 times and still couldn’t quite tell if it was a grave or just a crooked rock.

War does not make one great.

Author
Time

Yoda Is Your Father said:

SilverWook said:

Luke is definitely standing in front of a very old grave.

I was wondering about that myself. Seen it 4 times and still couldn’t quite tell if it was a grave or just a crooked rock.

Notice that the third time. Has to be a grave, right? It’s the final scene of the movie and a big set up for the next one, you have to imagine they spent a lot of time making sure the setting was exactly right. I only buy it’s a crooked rock if that crooked rock is actually a natural part of Skellig Michael, and even then it’s possible that location was specifically chosen because of the rock.

I mean, it does seem silly to put so much importance into a rock but Luke seems to be looking right at it. Must be a reason for that, no?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There are real graves and tombstones on the island, so they may used something that was already there.

Han said Luke went in search of the first Jedi temple. I’m pretty sure he found it.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Ryan McAvoy said:

Anchorhead said:

it was little more than a way to show he wasn’t going to be content as a farmer.

Much as we all like some mild Lucas bashing from time to time 😉 SW77 does say that Luke’s father was murdered by another Jedi (Regardless of any other information imparted in ESB and ROTJ). So I think it’s pretty logical to assume Owen/Lucas was refering to this when he grimly said/wrote “That’s what I’m affraid of” rather than just refrencing Luke’s dislike of farming.

It’s the same thing.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”