Sign In

The Force Awakens: Official Review Thread - ** SPOILERS ** — Page 105

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Why? He brought a lot of fun to the film even though he had very little screen time. Also the “Who talks first” exchange is classic

Author
Time

It just feels like cheating the audience when you think he dies at the beginning and then an hour later he shows up. It’s handled sloppily.

If it were handled better, I might have liked the idea more.

Author
Time

yhwx said:

It just feels like cheating the audience when you think he dies at the beginning and then an hour later he shows up. It’s handled sloppily.

If it were handled better, I might have liked the idea more.

I understand this argument but I think killing him off would have made a bigger sin in order to avoid a smaller one.

Author
Time

He actually died in the original script, and was resurrected at the actor’s request. That said, I don’t think it was handled awkwardly at all.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

No way, he was a great but underused character and I look forward to seeing his role expanded in VIII.

Ditto. Poe is really cool. Plus you gotta have three heroes anyway!

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

My main complaint in how awkwardly it was handled was when Finn said “That’s one hell of a pilot!” when he possibly couldn’t have known it was Poe. There’s no explanation of how Poe came out either.

Author
Time

yhwx said:

My main complaint in how awkwardly it was handled was when Finn said “That’s one hell of a pilot!” when he possibly couldn’t have known it was Poe. There’s no explanation of how Poe came out either.

Um, what part of the line “That’s one hell of a pilot!” includes the phrase “oh my god Poe is alive!”

And Poe explains when he and Finn reunite that he was thrown from the crash (which is what happened to Finn) and that when he woke up he couldn’t find the fighter or Finn. No more explanation necessary and it’s really not that hard to believe.

Author
Time

Read the novel there is a scene that explains it.

By the way Han shot first.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

DominicCobb said:

[…] And Poe explains when he and Finn reunite that he was thrown from the crash (which is what happened to Finn) and that when he woke up he couldn’t find the fighter or Finn. No more explanation necessary and it’s really not that hard to believe.

Finn was thrown from the crash, but still landed near the fighter. So, was Poe thrown 1000 meters away or is Finn that short-sighted he couldn’t see him? 😄

JEDIT: nevermind, I rewatched that scene: Finn wasn’t that close to the fighter either, my bad 😄

The Original Trilogy’s Timeline Reconstruction: http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/topic.cfm/Implied-starting-date-of-the-Empire-from-OT-dialogue/post/786201/#TopicPost786201

Author
Time

What do you know…this isn’t a surprise at all. There’s a reason I hadn’t gotten the movie release yet.

Also I had seen a report talking about a 3D release of TFA recently which also mentioned the prequels finally getting their 3D versions released as well, so hopefully that turns out to be useful for fanedits.

Author
Time

I mean, if you didn’t see it coming this time…

I’ll probably double dip.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Not like Lucasfilm didn’t double and triple dip over the years.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Damn they got me. It was obvious I guess but I couldn’t wait.

Will probably have to jump if for nothing else than commentary (and deleted scenes but who knows how much will actually be there).

Dig the ROTJ throwback cover.

Author
Time

To be honest I don’t think it is the splitting of features that actually annoys me - its the not clearly stating there’s more to come and setting everyone up for the double dip. That’s the worst.
But there’s bigger problems around, at least there’s more deleted scenes on the way. Keen to check those out.

Complete Star Wars Poster Collection

Author
Time

Chewie/Mala love scene or no sale! 😉

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

I’ll wait for the inevitable ST box set when all is said and done before I buy TFA again (assuming such a set will include the new features). One commentary isn’t enough for me to pony up for 3D, given that I don’t have a 3D TV.

Author
Time

Next release TFA “The VR Edition”

By the way Han shot first.

Author
Time

joefavs said:

I’ll wait for the inevitable ST box set when all is said and done before I buy TFA again (assuming such a set will include the new features). One commentary isn’t enough for me to pony up for 3D, given that I don’t have a 3D TV.

I won’t rebuy if/until it comes out in 4K. Even though I don’t have 4K now, I’d like to future proof my SW collection even if I don’t yet have the means to play it.

TV’s Frink said:

I would put this in my sig if I weren’t so lazy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The deleted scenes will likely be on YouTube the day of release. As for the commentary, it really sucks that the original release didn’t have it, but it’s not enough to make me buy it yet. For now, I guess I’ll stick with online fan commentary.

That packaging is wonderful, though.

The Drink in Question

Author
Time

That too. I’m hoping that by 2020 A.) all of the SW films will be available in 4K, and B.) I’ll actually have a 4K TV, so the release of the theoretical ultimate saga box set will be the time to snag them all at one fell swoop.

Author
Time

Don’t forget C.) OUT is available for purchase and included in the set.

The Drink in Question