Sign In

The DC Extended Universe — Page 4

Author
Time

This latest, and in my opinion best, effort thus far from DC (aside from the Nolan trilogy), gives me real hope that Aquaman will also kick all forms of ass upon its release.

Author
Time

Wait, they’re actually making the Vinny Chase movie?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Maybe, does he swim with the fishes? The Justice League could be his entourage…

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Darth Id said:

TV’s Frink said:

When our threads collide.

Trevorrow said:

the character of Rey and what she means to young girls right now, and the challenges that she’s up against

Yeah, it must be tough being the best at everything, and having absolutely no competition in any field. Kinda unfulfilling and ennui-inducing, you know?

I’m so shocked that you’re one of those people.

What “people”?!?!
You mean comedians?

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

yhwx said:

Today I learned that the biggest problem middle-class white men have is a women-only screening of Wonder Woman.

Today I learned that pittrek, Alderaan, and Id are all who I thought they were (for different reasons).

Wow.

Author
Time

Sadly the animated series hasn%27t been put out on Blu Ray. Hopefully someday. I am quite happy that we at least have the DVDs…In my opinion it is the definitive incarnation of Batman and all the heroes and villains of Gotham city.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time

I’m very curious to see what kind of work they’ll be doing to it. I hope it doesn’t look too clean, grainless, or over-saturated or anything, like any of Disney’s animated features. This will be the first time we’ll have the animated series in HD in any form (no the later Batman Adventures stuff doesn’t count), and the rough look that stuff has is pretty much a part of the show’s character.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

My girls wore those DVD’s out. It would be awesome to see a proper Blu ray set.

Author
Time

IIRC, Batman TAS was edited on video, so they’d have to locate all the film elements and rescan them. It might get more tricky if any digital effects were used to fix animation mistakes not caught until the footage came back from overseas.

There were a couple episodes where the you could see an amazing amount of dust dancing on the cels as they were photographed. That’s going to be even more noticeable in HD. I can’t imagine there’s any way to clean that up without doing more harm than good.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/20/15839880/wonder-woman-sequel-patty-jenkins

DC Films co-head Geoff Johns said:

You would be silly not to analyze how a movie was received — what went right and what went wrong on the making of a movie. On Suicide Squad, the movie did incredibly well commercially. It didn’t work narratively. You had some great casting and some great characterizations, but where the story fell down was on narrative, on plot. We could do better. Batman v Superman was tonally dark. People didn’t respond to that.

Someone out there is listening.

Star Wars Revisited Wordpress / Facebook / Twitter

Star Wars Visual Comparisons WordPress / Twitter

Author
Time
 (Edited)

pittrek said:

TV’s Frink said:

yhwx said:

Today I learned that the biggest problem middle-class white men have is a women-only screening of Wonder Woman.

Today I learned that pittrek, Alderaan, and Id are all who I thought they were (for different reasons).

Wow.

I had the same reaction to your posts about the Alamo.

Author
Time

I read part of Joss Whedon’s Wonder Woman script and had several viscerally unpleasant reactions

Also, Mask of the Pantasm blu is great news! I doubt either BTAS or STAS will ever get to blu tho.

.

Author
Time

I really hate that DC thinks tone is their biggest issue. Tone is fine by me. The darker tone was fine. What didn’t work in BvS was that it was a narrative mess, with not enough character motivation, and an obvious need to bloat the film with a billion different hefty checkboxes like doomsday, Wonder Woman, and supermans dearh. Tone was the least of their problems. Which is why I’m pretty sure Justice League could just as well be BvS + a ton of jokes if DC keeps thinking that was the big issue with BvS.

Return of the Jedi: Remastered

Lord of the Rings: The Darth Rush Definitives

Author
Time

darthrush said:

I really hate that DC thinks tone is their biggest issue. Tone is fine by me. The darker tone was fine. What didn’t work in BvS was that it was a narrative mess, with not enough character motivation, and an obvious need to bloat the film with a billion different hefty checkboxes like doomsday, Wonder Woman, and supermans dearh. Tone was the least of their problems. Which is why I’m pretty sure Justice League could just as well be BvS + a ton of jokes if DC keeps thinking that was the big issue with BvS.

They tried to cram 4 movies into 1.
They really should do
Movie 1) The fall of Krypton movie, taking place completely on Krypton with let’s say the post credits scene being baby superman crashlanding on Earth and being found by the Kents
Movie 2) A standalone Batman movie, maybe with the Joker and/or some of the characters from Suicide Squad as the villain(s)
Movie 3) Standalone Superman movie, maybe with Lex Luthor as the main villain
Movie 4) Superman vs Zod, destruction of Metropolis
Movie 5) Batman vs Superman, and make them fight only because of their different ideologies
Movie 6) Death of Superman
Movie 7) Suicide Squad - in this time all the characters would be properly introduced in the previous movies, and have a villain with a clear motivation

And I don’t agree with tone. If they want to do dark movies, I’m OK with that, just keep the tone dark. The tone in these movies is all over the place, similar to the Star Wars prequels.

Author
Time

I’m kind of hoping there’ll either be a huge shift in quality, or it will crash and burn, so somebody who knows what they are doing can start it from scratch. Have somebody start it up on a high note like Favreau did with Iron Man. Wonder Woman is great, but it’s a ripe piece of fruit in a satchel of rotten fruit. The connection to the disgusting Suicide Squad is doing no favors. I hate Leto’s Joker so much. I’ve hated it since they released the teaser image of him as the Joker. I hate Eisenberg’s Luthor…2 key villains ruined. Your hero is only interesting if their villain is. To me, that’s a screw up that will take a lot to make up for.

"The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won’t last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you’ll be able to project it on a 20’ by 40’ screen with perfect quality. I think it’s the director’s prerogative, not the studio’s to go back and reinvent a movie." - George Lucas

<span> </span>

Author
Time
 (Edited)

EyeShotFirst said:

I’m kind of hoping there’ll either be a huge shift in quality, or it will crash and burn, so somebody who knows what they are doing can start it from scratch. Have somebody start it up on a high note like Favreau did with Iron Man. Wonder Woman is great, but it’s a ripe piece of fruit in a satchel of rotten fruit. The connection to the disgusting Suicide Squad is doing no favors. I hate Leto’s Joker so much. I’ve hated it since they released the teaser image of him as the Joker. I hate Eisenberg’s Luthor…2 key villains ruined. Your hero is only interesting if their villain is. To me, that’s a screw up that will take a lot to make up for.

I actually liked Eisenberg’s Young Lex quite a bit. It was fresh with a lot of potential. I prefer close adaptation of main protagonists in most cases, but don’t mind a little innovation in secondary characters. Apart from that dang runny nose, I don’t believe the problem was basic acting/characterization, it was that he was the repetitive mastermind of an incoherent muddle. This is a script/story structure problem.

Leto’s Joker was appropriate to what they were doing. I would have gone in a different direction with the entire structure.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Wonder Woman better understands what it means to be a superhero film than any film of its kind since the first Donner Superman. It’s still a modern action romp, but it stirred my emotions in a way none of the modern superhero films have.

GO SEE IT.

A Goon in a Gaggle of 'em

Author
Time

One big thing I never heard anyone talking about is how (unless I’m mistaken) the main reason Man of Steel got made when it did was because WB had to promptly get a Superman film into production as a condition of their settlement with Siegel and Shuster’s estates, or else lose all rights to the character.

Snyder et al weren’t even planning on it being the first installment of a shared DC film pantheon at the time if I remember correctly. Yet, by the time the movie came out, many people assumed that’s exactly what they were doing. The Avengers had just been released the year prior, so cashing in on the superhero cinematic universe craze only made sense. But everyone seemed to have forgotten about the Siegel/Shuster lawsuit, which I’m still assuming is the main reason MoS got made when it did.

They even stayed vague on whether or not this was the same universe as Nolan’s Batman movies. Once BvS was announced, there was a rumor circulating that WB was offering Christian Bale an insane amount of money to return as Bruce Wayne. I’m not sure how valid that rumor ever was, but it’s interesting to consider in retrospect.

Wonder Woman really seems to be the “course correction” of the DCEU many fans were hoping for. I’m even hearing people say things like “oh, if only this one had been the first of these DC universe films.”

But that’s just it. They didn’t really decide to make this the DC equivalent of the MCU until BvS. Suicide Squad wasn’t even connected to the larger milieu in its earlier drafts. I was hearing the same thing about Black Adam, but I can only assume they’ve changes their plans.

It is interesting how we’re finally getting what many consider the “proper” DC movie (complete with a new opening titles logo!) just as The Avengers’ saga comes to a close. I can’t help but wonder how WB would’ve handled their DC properties had the Superman lawsuit not been a concern.

Author
Time

Fang Zei said:

One big thing I never heard anyone talking about is how (unless I’m mistaken) the main reason Man of Steel got made when it did was because WB had to promptly get a Superman film into production as a condition of their settlement with Siegel and Shuster’s estates, or else lose all rights to the character.

Snyder et al weren’t even planning on it being the first installment of a shared DC film pantheon at the time if I remember correctly. Yet, by the time the movie came out, many people assumed that’s exactly what they were doing. The Avengers had just been released the year prior, so cashing in on the superhero cinematic universe craze only made sense. But everyone seemed to have forgotten about the Siegel/Shuster lawsuit, which I’m still assuming is the main reason MoS got made when it did.

They even stayed vague on whether or not this was the same universe as Nolan’s Batman movies. Once BvS was announced, there was a rumor circulating that WB was offering Christian Bale an insane amount of money to return as Bruce Wayne. I’m not sure how valid that rumor ever was, but it’s interesting to consider in retrospect.

Wonder Woman really seems to be the “course correction” of the DCEU many fans were hoping for. I’m even hearing people say things like “oh, if only this one had been the first of these DC universe films.”

But that’s just it. They didn’t really decide to make this the DC equivalent of the MCU until BvS. Suicide Squad wasn’t even connected to the larger milieu in its earlier drafts. I was hearing the same thing about Black Adam, but I can only assume they’ve changes their plans.

It is interesting how we’re finally getting what many consider the “proper” DC movie (complete with a new opening titles logo!) just as The Avengers’ saga comes to a close. I can’t help but wonder how WB would’ve handled their DC properties had the Superman lawsuit not been a concern.

That is an excellent point you make, and could very well be the case. Maintaining rights to comic properties has a lot to do with what books get published, Captain Marvel volume 17 for example, and which characters appear where, so yeah I think you have hit the proverbial nail.