HOW DO I GET THIS?
Please PM me for access to the TRACKER SPREADSHEET, which details episode progress and provides the download links. The tracker spreadsheet also has links to the relevant forum discussion for each episode, to give you extra context for the decisions made.
IMPORTANT: You can kind of watch the whole show NOW if you want to get caught up before Bad Batch or Mandalorian season 3. More info here.
WHAT’S THE CURRENT STATUS?
- Season One - ten episodes (covering Christophsis, Death Watch on Mandalore, Malevolence, Cloak of Darkness, Domino Squad, Nightsisters, Ryloth, Holocron)
- Season Two - nine episodes (Bounty Hunters, Massacre, Boba Fett, Corruption on Mandalore, a ‘Lost Clones’ anthology, Return of Maul, Geonosis)
- Plus some extra bonus episodes (optional, not part of main cut)
– Episode Zero - A prelude episode made from the Tartakovsky microseries cartoon
– Some early anthology bits from the Tartakovsky microseries cartoon compiled into one
– Lightsaber Lost
Currently working on:
- Taking a little break, but then-
- s03e01 - Heroes on Both Sides
WHAT IS THIS?
Many Clone Wars edits to date have edited the TV show into movies focusing on one or two major arcs - but I respectfully believe almost the opposite approach is needed. Inspired by the enjoyability of the Mandalorian TV show, The Clone Wars: Refocused is going to present the most important and most enjoyable elements of the entire Clone Wars as a full multi-season series of TV length episodes, refined and reordered to maximise quality and enjoyment, both as its own story, and for those seeking a supplement to new canon like the Mandalorian and Bad Batch.
WHAT ARE THE PROJECT’S PRIORITIES?
Importantly, I want quality of experience to be the most important metric. Inspired by the Mandalorian, episodes will be as long- or as short- as they need to be, in order to pace each story in the best possible way to enjoy the most emotionally resonant and exciting moments in a coherent narrative without filler or cringe. Similarly, the show as a whole will present the episodes in a new, more compelling order - which doesn’t break canon - but which gives the best pacing and variety, while allowing some of the more important elements of the show to remain in focus, building in anticipation and excitement over time.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR ME?
- MANDALORIAN fans will enjoy a strong focus on Ahsoka Tano and Mandalorian culture throughout, the journey of the Darksaber, some important development for Boba Fett, and an exploration of Sidious’ interest in force sensitive younglings - I’m making a ‘Mandalorian cut’ just for you!
- Existing fans of THE CLONE WARS will enjoy a tighter cut, with bad episodes and bad scenes minimised, the fat trimmed, the structure made more compelling, the pacing improved, and polish throughout - but all of the important and good stuff preserved.
- PREQUEL fans will enjoy a deeper exploration of Order 66 and Anakin’s fall, new layers to Obi-Wan, and the shades of grey and introduction of third parties which make this predictable two-faction conflict anything but.
- WIDER CANON fans will enjoy the constant threat of Darth Maul, and closer looks at Saw Gerrera, Moff Tarkin, all your favourite bounty hunters and the force itself, and a deep exploration of Clone identity and culture, including Delta Squad and the Bad Batch (soon to have their own TV series)
- Fans of having all the meat with no filler will be well served by my main cut, as I’ll be cutting a lot of unnecessary episodes, though fans who enjoy more of the ‘fringe’ episodes will be pleased to know I also intend to release these episodes to an improved standard as part of my ‘Complete Cut’ (see below.)
- Fans of goofy humour, villains losing their menace, childish moments, and the bland CG of the early seasons will regretfully find themselves poorly served by this edit, since there will be some limited removal of episodes which are both not important and hard to enjoy. (Justification can be found in the first few pages of this thread, though I welcome your input.)
- IMPATIENT fans who want an improved and accessible Clone Wars as soon as possible but don’t mind a little lack of polish and a few weaker episodes later on should know that you can watch the whole thing NOW. Click here for more details.
HOW WILL YOU ACHIEVE THIS?
Most importantly, I’ll maintain an active dialogue with the community in this thread throughout the project, to gain insight, feedback and ideas, and to challenge and validate my own assumptions and decisions. Your comments are always welcome, and there’ve already been a lot of examples where the community have made the outputs materially better than anything I could have done in isolation.
I first completed a holistic review of all episodes in chronological order, identifying episodes’ importance and quality, and where episodes can be grouped into arcs (representing events, not locations or characters in particular). The early pages of this thread contain those reviews, and I urge you to check them if you’re interested. I then produced a reordering for the whole. The first priority in the reordering was to emphasise the core plotlines (Maul, Mandalore, and Ahsoka’s development) and to give the full series more of an ongoing serialised feel than the current anthology feel, and allowing the show to build slow-burn anticipation towards the excellent conclusion. The second priority around that central spine was to pace and vary the rest, ensuring no continuity is broken.
I then sorted and presented the reordered whole in an easy-to-understand way for four audiences: Those wanting context for the Mandalorian, those wanting the most high-quality TV show they can get, those wanting the most content that ties to existing continuity, and finally those wanting as much Star Wars as possible. You can see this below.
I then established a set of standards for presenting episodes themselves, with new titles, introductory text, and credits over concept art evocative of polish and high quality, to package each episode in the most attractive way. Forum member McFibb has produced new musical arrangements, and Chase Adams has produced animated concept art (like the Mandalorian), in order to help set the new show’s tone.
I’m now producing the edits in priority order, based on my ‘Quality Cut’ (see below). This means the very best and most important episodes (about ~50) for a complete end-to-end viewing of The Clone Wars: Refocused, after which I’ll move on to the less important Cuts (about ~16). I generally produce either a RELEASE CUT (nearly complete) or a REVIEW CUT (requires a little polish) of each episode, after which I incorporate community feedback to refine each episode further. (NOTE that currently I’m still waiting on a couple of sources from other forum members so for now the musical transitions in and out of episodes are a little rough, and I’m yet to polish my first few episodes. However I should soon complete the polish pass of those existing episodes and start releasing to a slightly higher standard.)
HOW ARE YOU PRESENTING THE CONTENT FOR EACH AUDIENCE?
I’m producing four cuts, really four curated lists, to direct viewers to episodes which give them the experience they’re looking for.
WHAT SOURCES WILL YOU USE?
1080p Blu-ray rips of the majority of the Clone Wars CG series, the ‘Crystal Crisis’ unfinished episode, the Tartakovsky Clone Wars 2D microseries, and the Son of Dathomir Audio Comic from Audio Comics / The Lore Master on Youtube (which is necessary to a core plotline, but presented well).
CAN I CONTRIBUTE?
Please contribute however you like - up to and including editing! In this thread, I try to braindump as much as possible, in order to involve others in the process and for the interest of potential faneditors. If you’re interested in the history of this project I urge you to read through to see the thought processes involved - please feel free to dig any up to challenge any of them! In the tracker spreadsheet you can find easy links back to each episode’s main discussion, if you’d like to continue the conversation.
I’m especially interested in help from anyone who can take a piece of concept art and animate it subtly like those in the end credits for the Mandalorian, to take some pressure off Chase Adams!
The original first post, including the idea which a few of the posters below are responding to, can be found here.