Sign In

The Brave Little Toaster (1987) 4K 35mm Film Scan! (WIP) — Page 5

Author
Time

Thanks for the link. The video looks nice and sharp and the colors
look great. I’m glad I took a chance on the laserdisc for the audio.
This project deserves to have the best audio source possible.

Author
Time

I showed Jerry the clip, and this is what he told me:

Not bad! The raw scan appears (on my laptop screen) like it needs to be a bit darker and bit more saturated. The lighter, less saturated image has less richness than our original paints. But it’s a matter of very doable tweaks. This isn’t wildly astray or anything.

And as I had hoped, it is consistent across all shots. The correction settings for one shot would apply to all shots on that same film reel.

Once I get some cels photographed with the universal color chart, that will undoubtedly help.

Thanks for sending the link!

Cheers,
Jerry

Author
Time

That’s some encouraging news from the most encouraging place possible. Can’t stress how cool it is to have the director of the movie himself consult on this.

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time

It’s also great that Jerry is finally going to have the movie look and sound the way he and his team intended in the highest quality possible

Author
Time

Looks nice from the YT sample I saw! Better than the R2 DVDs and a huuuggge step up from the old Disney masters.

BTW, I don’t think Disney owns US rights to first film anymore. Unlike the sequels, they did not produce the first film and only got distribution rights for a certain period of time. It’s not on streaming anywhere (though they do have the sequels) and the DVD is OOP, which tells you the obvious. ITV owns international rights through distributor ITC, hence why it got better treatment overseas than what the House of Mouse had done over here.

If I had to guess, US rights are now ether with the main producer now or perhaps Multicom Entertainment (who owns the catalog of one of the producers The Kushner Locke Company).

Author
Time

When I asked Jerry how the climax with Rob stuck on the conveyor belt would need to be color corrected, so that it gets more red with each shot, as intended. He gave me this answer:

If a few non-red shots are color corrected before and after that section, then you can just leave the same setting and all the reds will increase and decrease as intended. The color correction doesn’t have to change shot-by-shot within a given reel. Set one shot correctly within a reel and the rest should remain correct in that same reel.

Author
Time

Venny said:

TheBoogeyman1023 said:

What’s the plan for this when it’s finished? Is this going to be shared publicly or is this for donors only?

I plan to share it publicly. Hopefully as a YouTube upload with Kineko Video and 100% on Archive.org . As of now I’m only keeping proxies and raw scans private to donors because I wouldn’t want to release an unfinished project publicly. But once a finished restoration comes about I will release both the raw scan and restoration for archival. I wouldn’t want any of this projects work becoming lost and I want as many people possible to see it (and maybe even encourage Disney to release their own).

PS: I will also look into possibility of having the scans stored on a LTO Tape. I know someone who owns a LTO set up and 100% want this archived on something reliable and not just hard drives

Where can I donate?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

BIG UPDATE 8/24/22:

A full ProRes encode of the scan including Analog LaserDisc audio from Greg Z is ready for download for donors! File size is about 190 GB rendered at 4K and a lower bitrate (possibly Blu-Ray compatible encode) will also be uploaded within the next few days. If you want access DM me!

Special thanks to Quazza for rendering the raw image sequence as ProRes, and helping me encode the final video sync ProRes files. This project wouldn’t be possible without his help! And thank you to everyone who helped support this project through donations and contributing to the project in general. Seeing this movie scanned was such a pipedream and is now a reality. Although I suppose he would want to remain anonymous huge thanks to the owner of the print for lending it free of charge to be scanned. Without him I wouldn’t have even known this film had prints out in the wild in the first place and I wouldn’t have had such a wonderful opportunity preserving it.

The project is not over of course. I plan on doing a full on restoration of the film with possible director’s guidance and help from members of Kineko Video for a public release. I don’t plan on keeping this scan private and I believe it deserves to be seen by everyone. I do apologize to those that can’t watch this right now and I hope you get to see it soon! I am willing to answer any questions regarding the project and I have a Twitter account where I post constant updates, screenshots, and information about the scan and the film.

Author
Time

Venny said:

BIG UPDATE 8/24/22:

A full ProRes encode of the scan including Analog LaserDisc audio from Greg Z is ready for download for donors! File size is about 190 GB rendered at 4K and a lower bitrate (possibly Blu-Ray compatible encode) will also be uploaded within the next few days. If you want access DM me!

Special thanks to Quazza for rendering the raw image sequence as ProRes, and helping me encode the final video sync ProRes files. This project wouldn’t be possible without his help! And thank you to everyone who helped support this project through donations and contributing to the project in general. Seeing this movie scanned was such a pipedream and is now a reality. Although I suppose he would want to remain anonymous huge thanks to the owner of the print for lending it free of charge to be scanned. Without him I wouldn’t have even known this film had prints out in the wild in the first place and I wouldn’t have had such a wonderful opportunity preserving it.

The project is not over of course. I plan on doing a full on restoration of the film with possible director’s guidance and help from members of Kineko Video for a public release. I don’t plan on keeping this scan private and I believe it deserves to be seen by everyone. I do apologize to those that can’t watch this right now and I hope you get to see it soon! I am willing to answer any questions regarding the project and I have a Twitter account where I post constant updates, screenshots, and information about the scan and the film.

It looks like the new file as well as the previous sync were removed from the folder. Is there a reason as to why this was done?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

PeteOfDawn said:

Venny said:

BIG UPDATE 8/24/22:

A full ProRes encode of the scan including Analog LaserDisc audio from Greg Z is ready for download for donors! File size is about 190 GB rendered at 4K and a lower bitrate (possibly Blu-Ray compatible encode) will also be uploaded within the next few days. If you want access DM me!

Special thanks to Quazza for rendering the raw image sequence as ProRes, and helping me encode the final video sync ProRes files. This project wouldn’t be possible without his help! And thank you to everyone who helped support this project through donations and contributing to the project in general. Seeing this movie scanned was such a pipedream and is now a reality. Although I suppose he would want to remain anonymous huge thanks to the owner of the print for lending it free of charge to be scanned. Without him I wouldn’t have even known this film had prints out in the wild in the first place and I wouldn’t have had such a wonderful opportunity preserving it.

The project is not over of course. I plan on doing a full on restoration of the film with possible director’s guidance and help from members of Kineko Video for a public release. I don’t plan on keeping this scan private and I believe it deserves to be seen by everyone. I do apologize to those that can’t watch this right now and I hope you get to see it soon! I am willing to answer any questions regarding the project and I have a Twitter account where I post constant updates, screenshots, and information about the scan and the film.

It looks like the new file as well as the previous sync were removed from the folder. Is there a reason as to why this was done?

We wanted to limit how many people can download the raw ProRes file in order to make sure the Google Drive Transfer Quota doesn’t get capped out so for now it will be on a person by person basis so there isn’t too much traffic. I will be hosting the encode on my own Google Drive in order to help minimize traffic.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Venny said:

PeteOfDawn said:

Venny said:

BIG UPDATE 8/24/22:

A full ProRes encode of the scan including Analog LaserDisc audio from Greg Z is ready for download for donors! File size is about 190 GB rendered at 4K and a lower bitrate (possibly Blu-Ray compatible encode) will also be uploaded within the next few days. If you want access DM me!

Special thanks to Quazza for rendering the raw image sequence as ProRes, and helping me encode the final video sync ProRes files. This project wouldn’t be possible without his help! And thank you to everyone who helped support this project through donations and contributing to the project in general. Seeing this movie scanned was such a pipedream and is now a reality. Although I suppose he would want to remain anonymous huge thanks to the owner of the print for lending it free of charge to be scanned. Without him I wouldn’t have even known this film had prints out in the wild in the first place and I wouldn’t have had such a wonderful opportunity preserving it.

The project is not over of course. I plan on doing a full on restoration of the film with possible director’s guidance and help from members of Kineko Video for a public release. I don’t plan on keeping this scan private and I believe it deserves to be seen by everyone. I do apologize to those that can’t watch this right now and I hope you get to see it soon! I am willing to answer any questions regarding the project and I have a Twitter account where I post constant updates, screenshots, and information about the scan and the film.

It looks like the new file as well as the previous sync were removed from the folder. Is there a reason as to why this was done?

We wanted to limit how many people can download the raw ProRes file in order to make sure the Google Drive Transfer Quota doesn’t get capped out so for now it will be on a person by person basis so there isn’t too much traffic. I will be hosting the encode on my own Google Drive in order to help minimize traffic.

Okay I was confused as to why that and the old sync weren’t there but that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up and I look forward to watching the project when I’m able to view it.

Author
Time

What’s the Twitter handle?

And this is great to hear!

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time

Venny said:

We wanted to limit how many people can download the raw ProRes file in order to make sure the Google Drive Transfer Quota doesn’t get capped out so for now it will be on a person by person basis so there isn’t too much traffic. I will be hosting the encode on my own Google Drive in order to help minimize traffic.

Not sure if this trick still works, but if they create a shortcut in their own drive, it generally considers it a new file and won’t contribute to the quota.

Author
Time

m00nman said:

Venny said:

We wanted to limit how many people can download the raw ProRes file in order to make sure the Google Drive Transfer Quota doesn’t get capped out so for now it will be on a person by person basis so there isn’t too much traffic. I will be hosting the encode on my own Google Drive in order to help minimize traffic.

Not sure if this trick still works, but if they create a shortcut in their own drive, it generally considers it a new file and won’t contribute to the quota.

This trick does work the issue is the Drive when it hits a transfer quota you can’t download anything else from the Drive and there are a bunch of other scans that are being stored there. I can make mirrors for the encode just fine, but making mirrors for the ProRes will be very tricky so best to make it request only. Better that way since not many people will want the ProRes anyway other than people working on the project.

Author
Time

Wow, this is crazy.

I haven’t seen this movie since I was a kid. I tried to watch the DVD once, but I couldn’t get past the wobble.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Small update:
There was an error with the ProRes where Reel 1 was absent and was instead swapped out with Reel 2 so the same Reel plays twice. It is being fixed. A fixed encode is ready tho and should be up VERY soon. Sorry for all the delays!

Author
Time

Encode is up in the Drive folder. Audio is separate, but I left a “Readme” txt that explains how to mux the audio with the video for those that don’t know how. Anyone who wants to contribute syncing foreign dubs I’d be willing to add any to the folder

Author
Time

When I looked at the subtitles for what Octorox did, which were simple remuxed DVD subtitles, the moment when Kirby charges over the waterfall wasn’t timed well. It comes onscreen before we hear his cry, and it is unfortunate.

I almost deleted this because it’s so petty, but figured you may want to look at the subtitles and see if that moment in particular could be timed to perfection.

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Honestly it might be a tall order but I think it would be best to redo the subtitles from scratch.

The DVD subtitles don’t line up with what is being said numerous times throughout the movie. For example in the air conditioner scene when Kirby says “Oh yeah? Did you talk to him recently or something?” the subtitles just say “Did you talk to him?”. I’m guessing they’re like this because the subtitles may have been a based off the films script instead of going off what the characters are saying in the final version of the film or it might have just been a half-assed subtitle implementation for the DVD release but regardless of the reason it doesn’t line up.

The timing of the subtitles has some issues too. There’s that one with Kirby jumping down the waterfall but there’s also an issue during the City of Lights song where both times they sing “The city of light” at the end of the chorus the subtitles are noticeably late.

Also the look of the DVD subtitles isn’t ideal compared to customizable text subtitles. I’m not familiar with the process on implementing subtitles so I apologize if any I said sounds ignorant but I feel this should be considered for the public release of the project.

Author
Time

PeteOfDawn said:

The DVD subtitles don’t line up with what is being said numerous times throughout the movie. For example in the air conditioner scene when Kirby says “Oh yeah? Did you talk to him recently or something?” the subtitles just say “Did you talk to him?”. I’m guessing they’re like this because the subtitles may have been a based off the films script instead of going off what the characters are saying in the final version of the film or it might have just been a half-assed subtitle implementation for the DVD release but regardless of the reason it doesn’t line up.

Nah, that’s just a thing subtitles and CC do sometimes =/ They don’t want to fill up the screen with too much text, or they don’t think deaf people will know the difference, or who knows what. I hate it, I always have to turn them off when they do that.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

I’ve been getting a lot of PMs about people wanting access to the folder. If you didn’t already have access before from donating I’m not going to give access unless it’s someone working on the project directly. I will not be handing out downloads for many reasons so please don’t ask. If you have donated and can’t access the folder for some reason I will make sure to fix that, but please do not clutter my DMs with download requests if you haven’t contributed anything to the project

Author
Time

Venny said:

I’ve been getting a lot of PMs about people wanting access to the folder. If you didn’t already have access before from donating I’m not going to give access unless it’s someone working on the project directly. I will not be handing out downloads for many reasons so please don’t ask. If you have donated and can’t access the folder for some reason I will make sure to fix that, but please do not clutter my DMs with download requests if you haven’t contributed anything to the project

Seems like most of people are desperate for this scan

Author
Time

Venny said:

I’ve been getting a lot of PMs about people wanting access to the folder. If you didn’t already have access before from donating I’m not going to give access unless it’s someone working on the project directly. I will not be handing out downloads for many reasons so please don’t ask. If you have donated and can’t access the folder for some reason I will make sure to fix that, but please do not clutter my DMs with download requests if you haven’t contributed anything to the project

Personally, I DM’d because it was mentioned in your post from a week ago, but even then I noted I’d be able to wait until the public release.

That said, I might have misread your post. I found out about this when googling on a whim; wasn’t expecting to actually discover that someone was able to scan/restore a print!

Take your time, Venny. I can wait.