This project has been replaced by the following, more recent edits:
Original first post:
Special thanks to Adigitalman, Darth Editous, Niel S., Rebel11_38 for their help and assistance! As a disclaimer: I used footage and/or audio from the following people's edits: Adigitalman, Ocpmovie, Darth Editous, Attack of the Phantom, and Magnoliafan. So a very special thanks to them as well. I make sure to give credit where it is due.
Episode I: TPM
This film seemed to be decently edited, with most of it's flaws being conceptual. But other than that, what we're given plays out well on it's own. Most of the edits are for pacing, as well as removing junk that takes the focus off the main characters and plot development. And of course, many of these changes have been made in almost all other fan edits. This film has been "fan edited" the most.
- New opening crawl, thanks to Rebel11_38
- Removed lots of Panaka's bad one-liners
- Removed the second half of the planet core sequence, and the redundant Nemodian/Sidious scene caught in the middle
- Removed the battle droid's line to Qui-Gon
- Removed the scene of Padme cleaning Artoo with Jar Jar
- Changed some of the subtitles
- Trimming a few bits of the Anakin meets Padme scene, also removing Jar Jar's encounter with the pit droid
- Removed Jar Jar talking to Qui-Gon about being "robbed and crunched"
- Removed lots of Jake Lloyd-isms
- Snipped the scene with Anakin's "friends" laughing at him, and Jar Jar's toungue getting fried by the power couplings (Thanks to Adigitalman!)
- Altered the podrace grid sequence, trimming and adding
- Altered the podrace, both trimming and extending
- Added the Greedo deleted scene (Thanks to Adigitalman!)
- Added in the probe droid deleted scene (Thanks to Adigitalman!)
- Removed the Air Taxi scene
- Removed a lot of Jar Jar silliness during the battle scenes (Partially using Adigitalman's footage)
- Removed lots of Anakin stuff too, during the battle scenes, although he still flies on autopilot (Partially using Adigitalman's footage)
Episode II: AOTC
This was the flim that, IMHO, needed to be edited the most. The was the Star Wars film that I found most difficult to watch all the way through. While it's a good story, it suffered a lot from bad dialogue writing, poor editing, and other things that could be corrected. Entire scenes and action sequences could be removed with no effect to the story whatsoever. And a few of the deleted scenes should have been left in the final cut. And R2 does not have any new abilities that we don't see in the OT (No flying, or stair-stepping). So this was the one that was edited most, and is the most different. This version is much easier to sit through and actually enjoy as a whole, instead of just the parts with action. After doing this, I'd never watch the original Attack of the Clones for fun again.
- New opening title crawl (Thanks to Rebel11_38)
- Opening shot now pans down to Coruscant
- Removed Typho's line that completely ruins and cheapens the explosion. (used audio from Attack of the Phantom)
- Removed Corde's line of "I've failed you, Senator"
- Removed Yoda's line to Padme about his heart. Wonderful line, but sets Padme up as a witch.
- Removed Jar-Jar's greeting at the elevator.
- Trimmed the worst of Anakin's dialogue in the next few scenes.
- During the speeder chase, removed the shots of alien drivers.
- Removed Anakin's nosedive and flying through power couplings. (Using audio from Attack of the Phantom)
- Shortened Anakin's dive for Zam's ship.
- Removed the changeling sub-plot, giving us the original joke Obi-Wan makes about Zam being a 'she'.
- Removed the scene with Yoda, Mace, and Obi-Wan talking about Anakin, as well as the scene with Padme leaving Jar Jar instructions. (Using Adigitalman's footage.)
- Removed Anakin's entire annoying rant about Obi-Wan.
- Reinstated the following deleted scenes: Droid Analysis, Extended Naboo landing, Padme's Family Dinner, and Mace and Obi-Wan on the Platform.
- Now the audiece is left hanging as to what Anakin's opinion is about sand.
- Removed the picnic scene.
- Greatly revisioned the fireplace scene, removing a few chunks of the worst of the dialogue.
- Added a few different shots of Anakin's mother to the dream scene.
- Removed the entire asteroid fight between Jango and Obi-Wan.
- Tightened Shmi's death.
- Removed the entire droid factory sequence, replacing it with the two deleted scenes with Dooku "interrogating" Padme, and the Geonosian trial. (More similar to the original script than the final cut)
- We are left to assume the droids never leave Padme's ship. They are totally removed seamlessly from the battle, helping pacing and music greatly. (I have a feeling it was scored without the droid's segments, and they had to add extra music)
- Changed some of Poggle the Lesser's subtitled dialogue during the War Room scenes.
Final running time: about 2hrs and 10 minutes.
Episode III: ROTS
Of the prequels, this one was the one that needed editing the least. But still, there was some work to be done! Most of the glaring things like squeaky droid voices have been taken care of, and we even get to hear from Qui-Gon now! Three scenes have been removed, and the three Seeds of Rebellion deleted scenes have been added in. R2 again does not have any new abilities (No flying, bounding out of Anakin's TIE, etc.)
- Used a new opening crawl (Thanks to Rebel11_38)
- Removed Anakin's line about vulture droids.
- Shortened Artoo's little scuttle with the buzz droids.
- THANKS to Aditigalman for doing something about those terrible squeaky voices for the battle droids. In most cases, I used audio from his version
- Removed the elevator sequence completely, taking the squeaky super battle droid voices with it
- (This is a geeky one) There was a shot of Palpatine watching the duel, with a saber sound effect lifted from ESB. Replaced it.
- Removed Palpatine's "yeah!" and Obi-Wan's legs being clearly crushed. (Using Adigitalman footage)
- On the flagship, trimmed Grevious's ranting
- Removed Jar Jar's one line (Thanks to Adigitalman)
- Removed the balcony scene with Padme and Anakin.
- Removed the scene with Yoda and Anakin discussing his dream.
- Inserted the three 'Seeds of Rebellion' deleted scenes.
- Boga "barks" one too many times.
- During the Mace vs. Palpy duel, cut some of the flips and jumps.
- Removed the cutaway shot of Yoda during the 'Vader dubbing' scene.
- Added Adigitalman's line of "Leave us" to the Yoda vs. Sidious duel, taken from ROTJ.
- Inserted some dialogue for Qui-Gon by Liam Neeson during the rotating shot of Yoda meditating.
- Removed the line about Padme loosing the will to live. Good riddance.
Final running time: about 2 hr. 18 min.
The original trilogy edits have been radically postponed until September to take advantage of the new source material.
That's it, folks! Using the best of the best, this is my humble edit of thde saga. I say humble, because I absolutley couldn't have done them to satisfaction by myself. I am greatly indebted to the people I listed above! Thank you all who have helped me out and whose footage I used.
This is not an ego-trip on my part; I'm just trying to make these movies the best they can be, using all sources. I can't really accept too much credit for myself, even though this did take quite a few months to complete!
I do accept complaints, comments and feedback! Plans for distribution have not yet been thoroughly thought out yet, but probably will be a Pay-it-forward deal. (Hopefully a torrent, eventually?)
Dark_Jedi has agreed to watch and review these for me, so you'll be hearing about it later. So far no one's expressed much interest, but hopefully there'll be enough to get the Pay it Forward system working.