Sign In

Team Negative1 - The Empire Strikes Back 1980 - 35mm Theatrical Version (Released) — Page 52

Author
Time

We don’t actually know what the Restored version will be called.

Thanks again to people that support this project with on-topic posts.
Off-topic posts will be reported.


We have completed receiving feedback from the members that saw the previews.

Thanks to all of them for their comments, and we will try to fix what we can.

Improvements in Sanitized version

Stabilization of shots across all reels.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Would probably be redundant to me, then, since I have an encode which was run through automated stabilization and dirt removal filters.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

Molly said:

Would probably be redundant to me, then, since I have an encode which was run through automated stabilization and dirt removal filters.

Thats good, what did you use.

Will you be posting it, I’m sure many would like to check it out.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Molly said:

Would probably be redundant to me, then, since I have an encode which was run through automated stabilization and dirt removal filters.

Thats good, what did you use.

Will you be posting it, I’m sure many would like to check it out.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Just Stab, MDegrain2 (with thsad of 1000) and RemoveDirt. I did it mainly for a friend of mine, and he thought it came out pretty good.

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

Well, you can compare it with some of our sample Reels, and see what you think.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

I’d be happy to organise a scan of the Fuji print if it is worthwhile getting done.

Donations welcome: paypal.me/poit
bitcoin:13QDjXjt7w7BFiQc4Q7wpRGPtYKYchnm8x
Help get The Original Trilogy preserved!

Author
Time

poita said:

I’d be happy to organise a scan of the Fuji print if it is worthwhile getting done.

Thanks Poita, you and AMPS will be a big part, and credited in our future releases.

Thanks for your support.

Team Negative1

Author
Time

Jay said:

team_negative1: Please stop creating non-project related threads. Team accounts may ONLY start topics directly related to their own projects and may ONLY post in those same topics. Any further topics or posts outside the rules will be deleted without notice.

Frink: You aren’t a mod here. Please stop provoking team_negative1 within their legitimate project threads. If your post has nothing to do with the project, please don’t post. If you have a problem with their activity outside their project threads, report it to the mods and we’ll act on it based on our discretion.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation.

Jay, to the best of my knowledge, only one member of the team has ever logged into that account. The account was setup to promote the activities of the team, but is not used by the team, only by a single individual.

If a user creates an account with the username “Five_Guys” because he like’s their burgers and fries, would that be considered a team account? Must be, right? I mean there are probably 5 guys using that account. The point is, “Team Negative One” is the name of an entity, like “Five Guys” but the account is a single user account like anybody elses. No forum rules are being broken here, so please, everybody, let it go!

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That certainly would have been nice to know a long time ago, and would have probably cut down a lot of the animosity if people thought of the account as Team_-1_Representative or something.

It was assumed otherwise due to:

  1. Not being stated (or if it was one time, it isn’t generally repeated or emphasized).

  2. The posts will spontaneously be in negative_1’s poetic format for a short while.

  3. The possible assumption that as admins have IP logs, they wouldn’t have raised any fuss if it was all from one person.

I’m definitely not the biggest hater of the whole team thing. Though certain posts from the account have a kind of attitude (inconsistently, again making it seem as though there are multiple users) that can be unpleasant, but that itself isn’t against the rules. I’m just finding it strange that this wasn’t clarified earlier. Also, if Team_Five_Guys ends up registering, I hope we can let them slide in exchange for some good coupons.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Whatever the situation with the actual number of users of that account, team_negative1 always uses the pronoun “we” and never “I”, which means they are not speaking for themselves, but for a whole team of people and therefore it either is a team account or pretending to be one, and so, by the rules (and common sense logic) this account has no business posting personal opinions on anything other than the team’s own projects.

Author
Time

There are at least 2 people using the account, one writing exactly as the old “negative 1” and somebody else. Or somebody is playing a weird game.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

towne32 said:

That certainly would have been nice to know a long time ago, and would have probably cut down a lot of the animosity if people thought of the account as Team_-1_Representative or something.

It was assumed otherwise due to:

  1. Not being stated (or if it was one time, it isn’t generally repeated or emphasized).

  2. The posts will spontaneously be in negative_1’s poetic format for a short while.

  3. The possible assumption that as admins have IP logs, they wouldn’t have raised any fuss if it was all from one person.

If Team_Five_Guys ends up registering, I hope we can let them slide in exchange for some good coupons.

In hindsight I agree with you. But it is really only an issue because certain people made it such an issue - bringing it up over and over again, year after year. If they had just moved on, would anybody really care?

I almost added to my post that the IP logs should support this, but I’m not so sure that they will: while ISPs will occasionally change the IP address on your connection, it remains static most of the time, but people don’t. They can now log in from anywhere using their phone, often on Wifi at a coffee shop or anywhere they happen to be, so there are probably multiple IP addresses associated with everybody’s account by now.

Edit: Also, I am constantly connecting to my company’s Virtual Private Networks, which changes my IP. We have offices in England, California, Virginia, Pennsylvania… So I may connect to this site from an IP in London at 10 am and one in California at 11 am, all without leaving my office. So, IP Addresses prove nothing either way.

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time

Harmy said:

Whatever the situation with the actual number of users of that account, team_negative1 always uses the pronoun “we” and never “I”, which means they are not speaking for themselves, but for a whole team of people and therefore it either is a team account or pretending to be one, and so, by the rules (and common sense logic) this account has no business posting personal opinions on anything other than the team’s own projects.

That’s the Royal “We” 😉

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time

We personally find it makes little difference and people need to get over it to an extent and cut the debate so we can get back to talking about the project.

-Team_Smittywerbenjagermanjensen

Author
Time

Williarob said:

towne32 said:

That certainly would have been nice to know a long time ago, and would have probably cut down a lot of the animosity if people thought of the account as Team_-1_Representative or something.

It was assumed otherwise due to:

  1. Not being stated (or if it was one time, it isn’t generally repeated or emphasized).

  2. The posts will spontaneously be in negative_1’s poetic format for a short while.

  3. The possible assumption that as admins have IP logs, they wouldn’t have raised any fuss if it was all from one person.

If Team_Five_Guys ends up registering, I hope we can let them slide in exchange for some good coupons.

In hindsight I agree with you. But it is really only an issue because certain people made it such an issue - bringing it up over and over again, year after year. If they had just moved on, would anybody really care?

I almost added to my post that the IP logs should support this, but I’m not so sure that they will: while ISPs will occasionally change the IP address on your connection, it remains static most of the time, but people don’t. They can now log in from anywhere using their phone, often on Wifi at a coffee shop or anywhere they happen to be, so there are probably multiple IP addresses associated with everybody’s account by now.

I agree that they would not give an entirely robust answer. But they would indicate whether or not IPs were flickering between New York and the Netherlands in one day, vs. being variable Comcast IPs (or even school/work in the same city).

I do agree that the whole thing is a bit overblown, and that both ‘sides’ contributed to that. I’d probably be entirely on the Team’s ‘side’ if it weren’t for the bizarre authoritative knowledge that ‘We’ has with regards to things like blu-rays, the future of 4K, the 4K restoration itself, Lucas’s reference materials, etc. There’s no reason that their posts necessarily need to suck when they enter other areas of the forum. But, somehow, they do. And so it’s much more preferable for me to see them in threads like this where they know what they’re talking about, and people are happy to hear from them, and they aren’t banned.

Author
Time

pittrek said:

There are at least 2 people using the account, one writing exactly as the old “negative 1” and somebody else.

QFT

Author
Time

The thing that’s actually worse than them breaking forum rules is that people constantly feel the need to call them out on it, thus clogging up threads and wasting everyone’s time.

If you have a problem with the account, please just report it to the mods and leave everyone else alone.

Anyone remember different camera angles from ROTJ?

Author
Time

SpilkaBilka said:

The thing that’s actually worse than them breaking forum rules is that people constantly feel the need to call them out on it, thus clogging up threads and wasting everyone’s time.

If you have a problem with the account, please just report it to the mods and leave everyone else alone.

Hello, fellow clogger.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Williarob said:

I almost added to my post that the IP logs should support this, but I’m not so sure that they will: while ISPs will occasionally change the IP address on your connection, it remains static most of the time, but people don’t. They can now log in from anywhere using their phone, often on Wifi at a coffee shop or anywhere they happen to be, so there are probably multiple IP addresses associated with everybody’s account by now.

On the old popular PHPBB system, if you looked at someone’s profile (as a mod), it would show you their IP, and also which other users were using the same IP.

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time
 (Edited)

First of all, a huge thank you to everyone involved in restoring these classics.

Can anyone explain to me why some scenes in the Grindhouse ESB are so dirty (wide landscapes on Hoth for example) and then the following close up shot is relatively clean. One would think there wouldn’t be much difference in how the film was handled or stored between shots. Just curious.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Rask40 said:

First of all, a huge thank you to everyone involved in restoring these classics.

Can anyone explain to me why some scenes in the Grindhouse ESB are so dirty (wide landscapes on Hoth for example) and then the following close up shot is relatively clean. One would think there wouldn’t be much difference in how the film was handled or stored between shots. Just curious.

Well if it’s a composite shot (a sfx shot) it will look dirtier because of all the different pieces of film you’re combining. It’s quite difficult to keep all of them crystal clean.

The landscape shots, for instance might have an animated tauntaun so there’s a composite shot right there. So you got the shot of the landscape, the shot of the hard matte (which are multiple b/w copies of the taun taun shot) and finally the taun taun shot itself. There are plenty of steps for dirt to get introduced since this is all created manually.

Compare that to the close up of Luke, which is straight from the camera.

What’s the internal temperature of a TaunTaun? Luke warm.

Author
Time

Not just the dirt: there’s also a significant buildup of grain that occurs from combining multiple layers of film in that way.