Sign In

TV Shows renewed and cancelled. — Page 2

Author
Time
 (Edited)
lordjedi said:

Joss Whedon may not be the best writer in the world, but he can write some pretty funny stuff.  Most of what made Buffy and FireFly so good were the one liners and the action.  Hell, the single greatest episode of Buffy had almost no dialogue (Hush) with the second best episode being the musical (Once More, With Feeling).

Buffy had more to it than one-liners and action. Firefly not so much. A whole lot of bland characterization, with the show expecting you to love these characters while pushing how cool the show supposedly is. But all that was way better than Serenity. At least in the case of Serenity  shit WAS unpopular -Serenity flopped at the box office, to my great delight.

But the problem is that Joss fans push the view that Joss IS in fact The Best Writer In The World. And they think his writing was the best on tv. I guess they never saw Oz or The Wire. Or the whole load of other shows that had better writing. Factors other than writing made Buffy the quality show it was. But Firefly didn't have anything to save it from the shallowness that Joss's work often falls into. Almost a cynical shallowness. That show DID get cancelled, something which I'm happy about. And Angel got cancelled too, which thrilled me even more. There was one good season of Angel, the first season, and then the quality dropped out and it got worse every season after that. The final season made the Star Wars prequels look good by comparison. It was like nobody was making an effort and by the end it looked to me amost like Joss was deliberately fucking it all up, kind of reminiscent of the prequels actually. I have Whedon issues as much as I have Lucas issues.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Vaderisnothayden said:

Why should a load of shit like Lost continue when they didn't?

Because a lot of people don't think Lost is a load of shit, myself included.  Using two Bryan Fuller-related examples (I know he has nothing to do with Lost):  Pushing Daisies was fantastic and I'm furious that it was cancelled, but I don't go wishing for the once-great, now-shit Heroes to be cancelled.  Why not?  Because a lot of people still like it, and they deserve to get to see where it goes, even if goes nowhere.

I really don't understand the mentality behind wishing for a show to fail just because it's not up to your quality standards, especially when you treat its fans like idiots just because they enjoy the show.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
 (Edited)
ChainsawAsh said:
Vaderisnothayden said:

Why should a load of shit like Lost continue when they didn't?

Because a lot of people don't think Lost is a load of shit, myself included.  Using two Bryan Fuller-related examples (I know he has nothing to do with Lost):  Pushing Daisies was fantastic and I'm furious that it was cancelled, but I don't go wishing for the once-great, now-shit Heroes to be cancelled.  Why not?  Because a lot of people still like it, and they deserve to get to see where it goes, even if goes nowhere.

I really don't understand the mentality behind wishing for a show to fail just because it's not up to your quality standards, especially when you treat its fans like idiots just because they enjoy the show.

 

Pushing Daisies wasn't good. It was painful shite. Such a disappointment after the high quality of Fuller's two previous shows.

If all the money and time that's being put into Lost wasn't being spent on Lost then maybe something of quality might be made in its place and then maybe the Lost fans might get more out of that.

If you care about art, it's perfectly reasonable to wish the money and time and resources were going into making quality stuff rather than crap. And if you feel that way you're going to wish the bad shows would get cancelled and replaced with good shows. Not that I expect the bad shows to all get cancelled and replaced with good stuff, but every one that is is a door open for a chance at making a quality show.

Nor is it unreasonable to wish a show would get cancelled after it's pissed you right off and driven you up the wall. As I've stated elsewhere, I'm not one of these people who believe in not feeling.

You're basically trying to tell me I can't say something is bad because it would be treating its fans as idiots. I reject that argument as bullshit. You're also trying to cast me as terribly inconsiderate because I want something cancelled that other people like. I reject your view there too. You're trying to pull moral bullshit on me because you can't find a better argument. Forget it. I'm not going to suddenly go saying "Oh, ChainsawAsh, I'm a terrible inconsiderate person. You were right. I'm going to change my ways." I'm pretty damn confident in the rightness of my way of way of thinking. I wish Lost would get cancelled. I'm glad Pushing Daisies got cancelled (now maybe Bryan Fuller will do something good instead). If you want to wish Heroes were cancelled that's your business. Feel free to. I certainly won't tell you you can't do that and that it would be EVIL to, or whatever you're trying to imply about me wishing Lost were cancelled.  

Look, you don't like my view. And there's no way you're going to like it. You like Lost, whereas I want it cancelled. How about you just accept that I have my view? Because you're not going to change it and I'm tired of fighting with people. You were helpful on my thread about the Temple of Doom and I'm grateful for that. So let's not fight.

Author
Time

Bryan Fuller will be returning to heroes next season. That should be interesting...Show needs a kick in the ass.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Vaderisnothayden said:

And that post is supposed to mean something because... ? Maybe you should spend less time mocking people for having different views from you.

I wasn't mocking you. I was making a point. Obviously it was completely missed on you.

Sometimes you have me completely convinced you are a twelve year old, then you talk about being around back in 1977. You're a very confusing individual.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
C3PX said:
Vaderisnothayden said:

And that post is supposed to mean something because... ? Maybe you should spend less time mocking people for having different views from you.

I wasn't mocking you. I was making a point. Obviously it was completely missed on you.

You were mocking. As you often are. It gets on my nerves. And I got your point. I just think it's a pretty pointless point that's totally irrelevant and is evidence of you missing MY point.

 

Author
Time
C3PX said:

I wasn't mocking you. I was making a point. Obviously it was completely missed on you.

 

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
 (Edited)
C3PX said:
C3PX said:

I wasn't mocking you. I was making a point. Obviously it was completely missed on you.

 

 

 Broken record moment.

C3PX said:
 

Sometimes you have me completely convinced you are a twelve year old, then you talk about being around back in 1977. You're a very confusing individual.

And you're trying to demonstrate my supposed immaturity by descending to puerile insults?

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Vaderisnothayden said:

And you're trying to demonstrate my supposed immaturity by descending to puerile insults?

 

Not trying to insult you, just saying, you really come off as someone very young. I doubt I am the only one who feels this way.

And I wasn't having a broken record moment, I just didn't feel the need to retype what I already said. You clearly missed my point, and I was in no way making an attempt to mock you. Sorry you feel this way, but it simply was not the case. I was simply stating that money and resources are constantly spent by other people on things that make absolutely no benefit to you, why should this bother you?

You seem to hate Lost with a passion and think it is somehow unjust that it hasn't recieved the axe. I on the other hand absolutely love Lost. I enjoy it more than any other show currently on TV. To me it would be a huge disappointment if it got canceled. Same thing to many other fans of the show. I am happy they spend money on it because I like it. This money is not being thrown away or wasted, because millions of viewers enjoy it and the studio makes even more money through advertising and DVD sells, in turn, this money is reinvested into other shows.

I am sure there are things you like that I think are silly and don't deserve to exist, but I wouldn't begin to wish their destruction to the determent of the enjoyment of others. What would be the point?

That is what I meant by McDonald's burgers and skiing. I don't care one bit for either of those things. But plenty of other people do. Yet, I am perfectly fine with the fact that millions upon millions of dollars are handed over to McDonald's resturants and skii resorts everyday, regardless of the fact that this does absolutely nothing for me personally.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
 (Edited)
C3PX said:
Vaderisnothayden said:

And you're trying to demonstrate my supposed immaturity by descending to puerile insults?

 

Not trying to insult you, just saying, you really come off as someone very young. I doubt I am the only one who feels this way.

So when you mock you're not really trying to mock and when you insult you're of course not really trying to insult? I have a hard time buying that. People can think of me whatever they want. I don't agree with your assessment of my posting, but you can think what you want. If you really feel that I come off very young then I suggest that would be a very good example of you not understanding me. Some people here have a habit of not understanding me, and of nonetheless assuming they understand me well enough to pass judgement on me. I grow tired of it, but I don't expect it to stop. No, my posts do not come across like I'm very young and if somebody reading them thinks they do, then perhaps they're not reading them carefully enough. An all too common problem on internet forums. I am so tired of people making snap judgements of others on internet forums. And people getting all worked up based on their misunderstanding of someone else and their posts. As if misunderstanding was a moral justification in and of itself. I could say something about how I feel you come off, and I even suspect some people would agree with me, but I'm not going to stoop to the level you've descended to with your insults and unprovoked mocking.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

For the last time. I am not and was not mocking you.

I also did not intentionally throw any insults your way (I guess you took the 12 year old comment to be an insult, I should have realized it would be taken that way before I posted it, I was just speaking my mind and obviously shouldn't have). That one is my fault. I don't blame you for taking it as an insult. Sorry about that one. 

Your going on about how everyone is in the habit of misunderstanding you. I feel for you, I really do. That sucks to have people misunderstand you.

You've plainly misunderstood my intention with that post and strongly believe I was mocking you. Wanting to clear things up, I explained to you I was not mocking you, and you stubbornly continue to wail about being mocked. What is far more annoying than simply being misunderstood, is having someone stubbornly choose to misunderstand you. I wasn't mocking you. You can believe me or not, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time
C3PX said:
Vaderisnothayden said:

And you're trying to demonstrate my supposed immaturity by descending to puerile insults?

 

Not trying to insult you, just saying, you really come off as someone very young. I doubt I am the only one who feels this way.

And I wasn't having a broken record moment, I just didn't feel the need to retype what I already said. You clearly missed my point, and I was in no way making an attempt to mock you. Sorry you feel this way, but it simply was not the case. I was simply stating that money and resources are constantly spent by other people on things that make absolutely no benefit to you, why should this bother you?

You seem to hate Lost with a passion and think it is somehow unjust that it hasn't recieved the axe. I on the other hand absolutely love Lost. I enjoy it more than any other show currently on TV. To me it would be a huge disappointment if it got canceled. Same thing to many other fans of the show. I am happy they spend money on it because I like it. This money is not being thrown away or wasted, because millions of viewers enjoy it and the studio makes even more money through advertising and DVD sells, in turn, this money is reinvested into other shows.

I am sure there are things you like that I think are silly and don't deserve to exist, but I wouldn't begin to wish their destruction to the determent of the enjoyment of others. What would be the point?

That is what I meant by McDonald's burgers and skiing. I don't care one bit for either of those things. But plenty of other people do. Yet, I am perfectly fine with the fact that millions upon millions of dollars are handed over to McDonald's resturants and skii resorts everyday, regardless of the fact that this does absolutely nothing for me personally.

 

 

And I wasn't having a broken record moment, I just didn't feel the need to retype what I already said.

Repeating your post like that is a broken record moment whatever your intent. I think you should have reacted to what I said with new material rather than acting as if what I said didn't change the situation. I think you should have taken my word for it that I got your point and taken into consideration that I might actually know what I was talking about when I said you making that point was evidence that you didn't understand my point.

You clearly missed my point, and I was in no way making an attempt to mock you. Sorry you feel this way, but it simply was not the case. I was simply stating that money and resources are constantly spent by other people on things that make absolutely no benefit to you, why should this bother you?

You seem to hate Lost with a passion and think it is somehow unjust that it hasn't recieved the axe. I on the other hand absolutely love Lost. I enjoy it more than any other show currently on TV. To me it would be a huge disappointment if it got canceled. Same thing to many other fans of the show. I am happy they spend money on it because I like it. This money is not being thrown away or wasted, because millions of viewers enjoy it and the studio makes even more money through advertising and DVD sells, in turn, this money is reinvested into other shows.

I am sure there are things you like that I think are silly and don't deserve to exist, but I wouldn't begin to wish their destruction to the determent of the enjoyment of others. What would be the point?

That is what I meant by McDonald's burgers and skiing. I don't care one bit for either of those things. But plenty of other people do. Yet, I am perfectly fine with the fact that millions upon millions of dollars are handed over to McDonald's resturants and skii resorts everyday, regardless of the fact that this does absolutely nothing for me personally.

I got your point perfectly well. And as I said before, you putting it forward as an argument demonstrates that you're not getting what I'm trying to say. Maybe that's my fault or maybe that's your fault, but either way you're not getting it.

I've also given good reasons why somebody would wish the end of bad shows. I'm not going to bother explaining myself further because after a page or so of explaining myself you're still repeating the same stuff at me and clearly not getting it.

But one little thing I'd like to point out is that my concern is not about what's of benefit to me, but rather about the creation and recognition of quality art. If some good show came out and I never saw it (and would never get the opportunity to see it) but had reason to believe it was good, I would be happy that good art was being put out, despite the fact that it was of no benefit to me. Reducing it to an issue of what's of benefit to me is insulting and misconstrues my thinking rather drastically.

In artistic terms yes the money spent on Lost is wasted, no matter what other criteria you might dig up to find ways to judge it as not wasted.

I will continue to judge art by artistic criteria and wish the bad stuff would vanish as much as possible. Don't expect me to change my position on that just because it doesn't fit your thinking or ChainsawAsh's. I suspect if the show I was wishing an end to was one you didn't care for I wouldn't be getting all this opposition from you.

As for the issue of whether or not you were mocking me, I think you need to read over your original burgers and skiing post carefully and note the very mocking tone.

 

Author
Time
 (Edited)
C3PX said:

For the last time. I am not and was not mocking you.

I also did not intentionally throw any insults your way (I guess you took the 12 year old comment to be an insult, I should have realized it would be taken that way before I posted it, I was just speaking my mind and obviously shouldn't have). That one is my fault. I don't blame you for taking it as an insult. Sorry about that one. 

Your going on about how everyone is in the habit of misunderstanding you. I feel for you, I really do. That sucks to have people misunderstand you.

You've plainly misunderstood my intention with that post and strongly believe I was mocking you. Wanting to clear things up, I explained to you I was not mocking you, and you stubbornly continue to wail about being mocked. What is far more annoying than simply being misunderstood, is having someone stubbornly choose to misunderstand you. I wasn't mocking you. You can believe me or not, frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

I'm sorry, but I think you're just not being clear with yourself about that post I felt was mocking. You may not have sat down and said "I am going to mock Vaderisnothayden", but the tone of the post was extremely mocking. And, having been mocked by you a number of times previously, I am sensitive to that.

 

For the record, I'd like to get into less rows with you, because I respect a lot you say. But you have to understand that you do sometimes make it difficult for me.

 

Author
Time
Johnny Ringo said:

Bryan Fuller will be returning to heroes next season. That should be interesting...Show needs a kick in the ass.

That's good. I hope he or someone else kills off Sylar. That character is like a weight around the show's neck.

 

Author
Time
Vaderisnothayden said:

I'm sorry, but I think you're just not being clear with yourself about that post I felt was mocking. You may not have sat down and said "I am going to mock Vaderisnothayden", but the tone of the post was extremely mocking. And, having been mocked by you a number of times previously, I am sensitive to that.

 

For the record, I'd like to get into less rows with you, because I respect a lot you say. But you have to understand that you do sometimes make it difficult for me.

 

 

So what you are saying is that you biggest problems at this place come from when people misunderstand you, and when people misunderstand themselves. As you clearly understand my own posts better than I understand them myself. Whatever I type must be read through the eyes of Vaderisnohayden, any other take or spin on my posts, even my own, are clearly inaccurate. Just give me some time, I am clearly getting it.

There is no reason for us to get into rows at all. You've taken a hyperbolic post I have written with the sole intention of driving home a point, and you've regarded it as a personal attack. I can reassure you a million times it was not a personal attack, but it isn't going to convince you.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

Well, I don't watch any of these shows.  I've seen Lost once, and that was over a year ago.  I honestly have a hard time wondering why either side is fighting over this.  VINH (much easier to abbreviate than write full out... except that my explanation is even longer) thinks that the shows he think have gone to pot should be cancelled.  Chainsaw and 3PX seem to think that if fans of the show are happy, then the show should be allowed to remain.  I don't see what's wrong with either of these opinions, especially since they're just opinions and will have absolutely no bearing on whether or not any show is cancelled or renewed.

Here's my opinion:  I wish shows like American Idol would be cancelled, despite the fact that millions of people apparently love it.  I can't stand it and think it's representative of the mentality that gets shit renewed and good shows cancelled.  I guess then that I'm falling on VINH's side since I want a show cancelled despite the fact that fans enjoy it.  But then again, I don't exactly lose any sleep over its existence, and my opinion that I want it gone isn't going to make it so.  I just don't like the show.

Then again, there are so many shows that were cancelled before they needed to be, and I wish I could have seen how they would have resolved themselves.  Firefly is one of them.  One of my favorite shows, so I don't appreciate the bashing toward it.  ^_~

As for Bryan Fuller... I haven't seen many of his shows.  I haven't seen Heroes, and I haven't seen Pushing Daisies.  In fact, I've only seen one of his shows that I'm aware of, and it features Lee Pace pre-Pushing Daisies.  I was just introduced to it two weeks ago, and I already got the DVD box set of it:  Wonderfalls.  Love it.  It's amazing.  I can't believe FOX cancelled it after only four episodes aired.  Overall, I suppose I'd rather see shows given a chance to get better rather than be cancelled at a whim.  That's how travesties happen like Firefly and Wonderfalls being cancelled.  Yeah, FOX is stupid.

There is no lingerie in space...

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don't exist... then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks... and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming... Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

Author
Time

The funny thing is i am probably one of the few that liked Lost in it's first 2 seasons and feel it jumped the shark sometime in season 3 or 4.

 

I think this is the JJ Abrams style of messing with peoples minds that is contrived people don't like.

He did it on Alias.  He is now doing it on Fringe as far as i have read.  I don't bother watching that crap show.

I liked Alias but the plot twists and run arounds were extremely annoying.  Even shows like 24 do this crap.

As for Whedon i heard Dollhouse was good so i bothered myself to watch the first 20 minutes of it and it was shit.

Not the first time a show is entirely worthless and exists only because it has an attractive woman on it.  Hurrah for hollywood,lol. 

 

“Always loved Vader’s wordless self sacrifice. Another shitty, clueless, revision like Greedo and young Anakin’s ghost. What a fucking shame.” -Simon Pegg.

Author
Time
 (Edited)
Gaffer Tape said:

Chainsaw and 3PX seem to think that if fans of the show are happy, then the show should be allowed to remain.  I don't see what's wrong with either of these opinions...

...

Here's my opinion:  I wish shows like American Idol would be cancelled, despite the fact that millions of people apparently love it.  I can't stand it and think it's representative of the mentality that gets shit renewed and good shows cancelled.  I guess then that I'm falling on VINH's side since I want a show cancelled despite the fact that fans enjoy it.  But then again, I don't exactly lose any sleep over its existence, and my opinion that I want it gone isn't going to make it so.  I just don't like the show.

 

Of course there is nothing wrong with either of those opinions. It was never said that there was. V just felt burnt by my example of how futile it is to be bothered about money and resources, I was trying to reassure him no burn was intended, but he is having none of it. There is really no dabate or argument beyond that.

Hmm, I guess I kind of have to contradict myself in light of your American Idol example. While fat guys with Big Macs and prats on skis don't bother me in the least, the sickening obsession that is reallity tv bothers me to no end. Even those worthless CSI, NCS, Law and Order and other members of the endless mass of homicide TV shows, which I dislike very strongly, don't bother me in the least. If people enjoy them that is fine with me. But I do think reality TV needs to die. Sports too. Televised sports piss me off. Two dumb, meaningless obsessions that have the uncanny ability of making people dumber.

Guess I can live with their existence, but man do I get annoyed at contantly being asked if I "Caught such and such a reality show last night" or "How about them -insert random sports team here-! Pretty great game wasn't it? What did you think when so and so made that such and such and won them the game?" Usually I have to say something along the lines of, "Yeah, that was really something." to appease them, everytime I say, "I dunno, I didn't watch it." they look at me like I just told them I enjoy humping dogs.

 

skyjedi2005 said:

As for Whedon i heard Dollhouse was good so i bothered myself to watch the first 20 minutes of it and it was shit.

 

Heh, twenty minutes is as far as I made it too. Turned it off with the intention of finishing it later but never did.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

I finished the [second] pilot of Dollhouse, but haven't watched the next few episodes.  I've heard it gets better later in the season.  I think I'll wait for the DVD, get it from my library, and watch the original, unaired, un-Fox-tampered-with pilot before I make a real judgment about it.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

The first few episodes of Dollhouse are dull indeed, but at about midway through the season things get a lot more interesting. I would recommend simply starting with episode 6 or 7 for a first time viewing, You wont have missed to much that you wont pick up as you go along.

 

 

Author
Time
ChainsawAsh said:

I finished the [second] pilot of Dollhouse.

Which one is the first pilot? The one that never aired right? From what I heard, the original pilot no longer even fits with the series. Has that [first] pilot been leaked online at all? I heard it had, but never found it.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape

Author
Time

Yes, I referred to the now-first episode as the "second pilot," which was made when the first pilot was more or less rejected.  I have no idea if it fits with the series as it now stands, but it will be released as an extra feature on the Season 1 DVD/Blu-Ray.

And there will also be a 13th episode that apparently functions as an "epilogue" for the season that will/did not air in the US, but was produced for foreign markets that already had a 13-episode deal (some complicated contract shit involving the fact that the original pilot was part of the originla 13-episode budget, so they made 12 and added an extra one at half the cost, yadda yadda bullshit) - this "epilogue episode" will be on the DVD set as well.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time
Vaderisnothayden said:
lordjedi said:

Joss Whedon may not be the best writer in the world, but he can write some pretty funny stuff.  Most of what made Buffy and FireFly so good were the one liners and the action.  Hell, the single greatest episode of Buffy had almost no dialogue (Hush) with the second best episode being the musical (Once More, With Feeling).

Buffy had more to it than one-liners and action. Firefly not so much. A whole lot of bland characterization, with the show expecting you to love these characters while pushing how cool the show supposedly is. But all that was way better than Serenity. At least in the case of Serenity  shit WAS unpopular -Serenity flopped at the box office, to my great delight.

But the problem is that Joss fans push the view that Joss IS in fact The Best Writer In The World. And they think his writing was the best on tv. I guess they never saw Oz or The Wire. Or the whole load of other shows that had better writing. Factors other than writing made Buffy the quality show it was. But Firefly didn't have anything to save it from the shallowness that Joss's work often falls into. Almost a cynical shallowness. That show DID get cancelled, something which I'm happy about. And Angel got cancelled too, which thrilled me even more. There was one good season of Angel, the first season, and then the quality dropped out and it got worse every season after that. The final season made the Star Wars prequels look good by comparison. It was like nobody was making an effort and by the end it looked to me amost like Joss was deliberately fucking it all up, kind of reminiscent of the prequels actually. I have Whedon issues as much as I have Lucas issues.

From what I and many others can figure, FireFly got canceled simply because Fox didn't really want it.  That became obvious when the first episode, which wasn't the first episode, aired.  Instead of introducing all the characters during a two hour pilot, we were treated to a one hour episode that assumed you already knew who everyone was.  Even I was a bit confused after seeing a preview of the pilot at Comic-Con.  So it's no wonder it got canceled.  Serenity was the way it was because it was pretty much a one off deal that had to cram about a seasons worth of story into 2 hours.  I actually liked Serenity aside from the fact that Joss seemed on the verge of slaughtering the crew by the end of the movie.

With Angel, according to some anyway, it was doing quite well when the plug was suddenly pulled.  That's probably why the final season looked like crap to you.  The plugged got pulled right in the middle, so of course they gave up trying.  They were pretty much trying to wrap it all up by the end of the season.  Most of what happened between season 1 and 5, to me, was Joss trying to write around what was going on in peoples lives.  Kind of like when Seth Green left Buffy, unexpectedly, and then wanted to come back.  I also think Joss had way to much on his plate at this time (he was doing Buffy, Angel, trying to finish Fray, and I believe FireFly was in the early stages as well).

Like I said, Buffy was good until after season 5 (the acting, writing, and the stories).  The musical is pretty much the one gem that came out of season 6.  Other than that, they had her fighting a god and a pretty stupid god at that.  She had more trouble with demons in 5 seasons than she had with a god in one.  Yes, the last two seasons of Buffy were pretty horrible from all standpoints.

I think his writing can be pretty good and funny in context and with the right deliveries (probably why I liked FireFly so much).  The only issue I have with Whedon is that he uses the same actors in everything he does.  It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it ends up looking like a reunion of characters.  I saw a bit of Dollhouse and immediately went "Hey, it's Fred from Angel!"  I have no idea what character she plays on Dollhouse.

Vaderisnothayden said:

If you care about art, it's perfectly reasonable to wish the money and time and resources were going into making quality stuff rather than crap. And if you feel that way you're going to wish the bad shows would get cancelled and replaced with good shows. Not that I expect the bad shows to all get cancelled and replaced with good stuff, but every one that is is a door open for a chance at making a quality show.

And who exactly are you to say what's a good show and what's not?  Personally, I can't stand Lost, which is why I don't watch it.  But wishing it gets canceled?  I don't think it's immoral, but it's lame.  Talk about wasting time.  It almost sounds like your idea of "quality stuff" is the exact opposite of what everyone wants.  The only show I've ever wished would get canceled was Friends, but that had more to do with the actors becoming arrogant and the show becoming really really lame than anything else.  Hell, they spent several episodes on Joey not asking Rachel to marry him.  But it got ratings, so it continued.  I notice that none of them, aside from Matthew Perry, have been in anything really phenominal since it got canceled.

F Scale score - 3.3333333333333335

You are disciplined but tolerant; a true American.

Pissing off Rob since August 2007.
Author
Time
lordjedi said:

I think his writing can be pretty good and funny in context and with the right deliveries (probably why I liked FireFly so much).  The only issue I have with Whedon is that he uses the same actors in everything he does.  It isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it ends up looking like a reunion of characters.

A lot of directors/film makers do that though. Like Lucas with Harrison Ford. Spielberg has his "special actors". I guess just like any other job, you find some emplyees are better than others, and you'll be quicker to hire them next time.

Makes sense to me.

"Every time Warb sighs, an angel falls into a vat of mapel syrup." - Gaffer Tape