Sign In

THX on 35mm Tech IB preservation - HELP NEEDED (work in progress) — Page 18

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

But it helps. 😉 I’ve seen at least one Blu Ray review where the author was totally unaware they were not watching the unaltered 1971 film. And don’t get me started on people who think Jabba was present in the 1977 release of Star Wars…

The most common misconception I see about the Star Wars revisions is that numbering the originals 4 5 and 6 all happened in 1997 (or even post 1999). It’s a rare case of accusing Lucas of even more revisionism than he is guilty of. Of course, the kind of people with that misconception are generally not the type of people who would hold it against him anyway.

But I agree about THX. 1971 vs. 1978 is subtle. It’s not strange for someone to consider the laserdiscs original.

Author
Time

Unless you can get a 35mm print, aren’t they the most original anyone will ever see?

“What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one.”

Neil Postman, Amusing Ourselves to Death

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Would it be possible to get a status update, maybe some notes on the progress, etc. Not complaining or anything, just curious where we are at with it.

Author
Time

THX11384EB said:

Would it be possible to get a status update, maybe some notes on the progress, etc. Not complaining or anything, just curious where we are at with it.

Author
Time

THX11384EB said:

THX11384EB said:

Would it be possible to get a status update, maybe some notes on the progress, etc. Not complaining or anything, just curious where we are at with it.

That’s impossible, even for a computer.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I didn’t realize it had been that long without an update. I’ll ask.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

Short version. Another print turned up, so things are on hold until it can be scanned. It’s in english and in better condition. Can’t say more than that.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

SilverWook said:

Short version. Another print turned up, so things are on hold until it can be scanned. It’s in english and in better condition. Can’t say more than that.

Hot DAMN! Thank you, that is awesome news. Looking forward to hearing about this new print.

Author
Time

exciting!

You really only need to hang mean bastards,
but mean bastards you need to hang.

John ‘The Hangman’ Ruth

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve never seen THX 1138. But knowing Lucas, I know that I have to see it the right way. You’re doing God’s work. Best of luck on your restoration. I hope to hear more updates on this soon.

Edit: is this being scanned in 4K, or just 1080p?

Author
Time

Would someone involved with the project please provide an update?

Author
Time

Poita had some health issues come up again very recently, which required a hospital stay, so I really would rather not pester him about this until I know he’s fully recovered.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

SilverWook said:

Poita had some health issues come up again very recently, which required a hospital stay, so I really would rather not pester him about this until I know he’s fully recovered.

That is completely understandable, and I don’t think anyone here would want to pester him about something insignificant and unrelated to his health. I wish him all the best, with a speedy recovery and good health.

Author
Time

Whoops…I donated to this, but haven’t been checking on progress…

I just downloaded Mavimao’s grindhouse, can’t wait to finally see this movie 😄

This signature uses Markdown syntax, which makes it easy to add formatting like italics, bold, and lists:

Author
Time

Somewhat off-topic:

Just wanted to know how’s poita doing, any health updates?

Author
Time

THX11384EB said:

Somewhat off-topic:

Just wanted to know how’s poita doing, any health updates?

Does anyone have any information on poita or this project?

Author
Time

I thought it was interesting when i found that not only did THX 1138 have an IB tech Print, but so did American Graffiti and so did Star Wars.

I’ve seen 4K77. Would love to see similar restorations of the other 2 films.

Author
Time

JadedSkywalker said:

I thought it was interesting when i found that not only did THX 1138 have an IB tech Print, but so did American Graffiti and so did Star Wars.

I’ve seen 4K77. Would love to see similar restorations of the other 2 films.

Correct me if I’m not mistaken, but the American Graffiti blu isn’t really desecrated like THX or Star Wars. The changes are very minor.

Author
Time

THX11384EB said:

THX11384EB said:

Somewhat off-topic:

Just wanted to know how’s poita doing, any health updates?

Does anyone have any information on poita or this project?

Any info would be appreciated.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I have been in very limited indirect one way contact with Poita, he’s super busy AFAIK, but apparently doing okay now.

In the meantime, I have a small dilemma. An opportunity has fallen into my lap to purchase a pristine looking reel, alas only one. Due to my recent eye surgery, I’m not in a good financial position to make an offer and I haven’t heard back from Poita or thxita on this yet. I don’t know how long the seller is willing to wait. It’s probably a good idea to keep this on the down low, so if you think you can help with this and want to see what it looks like, send me a PM. Please do not discuss it here.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?