Sign In

Strong Female characters in the Star Wars universe — Page 2

Author
Time

yotsuya said:

I would say the universe is full of them. We really only get two in the OT, Leia and Mon Mothma, but both are obviously people to be reckoned with. But all the EU and comics I’ve read, from the Brian Daley books on are full of more. I can’t think of a single classic stereotype out there. Plus we end up with Mara Jade and Jaina Solo. While the ST has wiped all of them out, Qi’ra is awesome. Jynn is great but with flaws (she doesn’t shape the story until the mid-way point). Hera and Sabine are great and get some nice depth over the series. And I think everyone has been faithful to Carrie’s portrayal of Leia.

^Yes ! even Carrie herself , who assisted with the script to The Last Jedi .

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

how many female members are on this site ? If you are lurking out there , please feel free to join and comment . Though I can’t speak for everyone here ,I would very much welcome your feedback .See, this is now the 21st century, and the boys club is over and the no girls allowed signs have been removed from the treehouse …

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time
 (Edited)

screams in the void said:
As for Leia being a damsel in distress , She turned that trope on it’s head and actually ended up taking charge ,“into the garbage shoot flyboy !” and during the swing across the chasm , she blasted her fair share of stormtroopers.plus, she is the best shot out of all of them …she never misses throughout the OT.

Not denying or playing down any of these things, I’m fully aware of them and am just pointing out the few that I think fit the stereotype and at times feel out of character (such as the kiss) which I was attributing to the type of movie that wouldn’t normally have any lead females in a story (at least outside of stereotyped roles). Star Wars was obviously written from a male perspective of what other males would probably enjoy and want to relate to and in that sense it was a massive success. And from that perspective while discussing this I think it is odd (but great) that we got such an awesome character in Leia.

So I’m basically saying, don’t feel bad because there aren’t more female leads in the OT. Instead relish in the fact that we got Leia in that era of movies and that it paved the way for showing how a great character can be in such a movie when played by a capable actress. That a majority of the mostly male fandom love the character despite being female and many female fans love Luke’s character despite being male which shows that great characters transcend the need to see characters in your own sex and ultimately make for the most compelling and enjoyable story telling experience.

Val

PS. Sorry if it seems like a mega delayed reply. I had it mostly written the other night but had to leave and come back to it.

Author
Time

Leia, Mon Mothma, Rey, Jyn Erso, Rose Tico, Holdo, Ahsoka Tano, Captain Phasma, Asajj Ventress, Hera Syndulla, and Sabine Wren.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

rodneyfaile said:

Leia, Mon Mothma, Rey, Jyn Erso, Rose Tico, Holdo, Ahsoka Tano, Captain Phasma, Asajj Ventress, Hera Syndulla, and Sabine Wren.

While all are definitely representing women and most portray strong individuals (though I’m not familiar with any Clone Wars or novel characters outside of the Heir to the Empire novel trilogy), personally I wouldn’t classify Rey, Holdo, Rose or Phasma as strong characters per se.

Both Rey and Holdo are riddled with issues and their purpose is often pretty muddled and unclear. They are both also highly unrelatable, Rey being good to excellent at pretty much anything she does and who would actually act like Holdo, especially in a military sense and after everything that happens between her and Poe, she suddenly does an about face to proclaim to Leia that she likes him? (Yeah, unconscious LOL)

Rose feels tacked on and just so Finn has a companion to go do something with that ultimately is pointless. She is often also used as a pure exposition tool for communicating to audiences the messaging apparent in the unnecessary Canto Bight romp.

Captain Phasma is in both movies for all of something like a couple of minutes total at best and while initially seeming important and imposing (so you could point to her being similar to Mon Mothma in these matters), the story itself ultimately makes her pretty basic in the scheme of things. Essentially she just parades about in her chrome armour, confronts Finn and is beaten by him in both movies and that’s almost the extent of her character - to be the token baddie for Finn to fight and overcome.

Anyway, this thread is meant to be discussing strong characters but when weak and highly flawed characters (IMHO) are added to the list, discussion is needed to demonstrate why they shouldn’t be included. Unless you think differently of course, in which case - discuss away 😉

Val

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Valheru_84 said:
I wouldn’t classify Rey, Holdo, Rose or Phasma as strong characters per se.

Rey-
She is an exceptionally strong person. Her life on Jakku has been hard, but she is still kind to others. She believes in doing what’s right. I attribute her success using the Force to her character. She has demonstrated a strong will and determination. Where we’ve seen others profess that it cannot be done or complain that life isn’t fair, she always believes in herself and her ability to overcome the challenges. Just because she perseveres through adversity, doesn’t mean she hasn’t experienced it. From her abandonment on Jakku and hard life of a scavenger, being pursued and captured by Kylo, seeing Han killed and Finn badly injured, the unwillingness of Luke to train her, further rejection from Kylo. She just keeps going. She is like the star QB. It doesn’t matter if the previous play went poorly. There’s no time to dwell on that. Just line up and execute this play. Just play this down, and then the next. She makes the people around her better.

Holdo-
I have no problem with her not wanting to sit down and explain every decision to a recently demoted Poe. You think an Admiral feels obligated to hold everyone’s hand and walk them through everything just to get their approval?

Phasma-
She is a villain, but is a very strong character. She commands the respect of those around her and is an intimidating foe. She makes a lot out of the limited screen time we get to see her.

Rose-
Here is a post I made previously regarding Rose:
Rose Tico holds the entire movie together.

At the end of The Force Awakens, Finn had made some progress, but this arc was far from over. He cared about Rey enough to overcome his fears and accompany Han and Chewie to Starkiller in an effort to rescue her. But he wasn’t honest about his reasons for going. He exaggerated his knowledge of Starkiller because as he told Han, he was just there for Rey. He didn’t care about the Resistance, or their cause.

Finn meets two people in The Last Jedi who have a profound effect on him. Rose is in agony over the loss of her sister, yet is still holding to her ideals and devoted to the Resistance. She has lost everything but will simply not quit. Then in stark contrast he meets DJ who has no convictions at all. Finally the light bulb comes on and Finn takes a side. He faces off with the embodiment of his greatest fear in Phasma and pronounces himself “Rebel” scum. He is fully on board now and is a different person by the time they reach Crait.

Finn is so gung-ho, in a display reminiscent of Poe’s previous unwillingness to follow orders, he tries to take on the First Order all by himself. Rose saves him because she believes the way to win is not by throwing your life away, but by living to fight another day, obviously informed by the loss of her sister.

Poe learns to respect authority before he can be in a position of authority and a true leader. Rey goes from seeking to identify herself through others to being comfortable with who she is and understands her place in the galaxy. There is just so much character development and wonderful storytelling. The Last Jedi is a great movie.

Author
Time

rodneyfaile said:

Phasma-
She is a villain, but is a very strong character. She commands the respect of those around her and is an intimidating foe. She makes a lot out of the limited screen time we get to see her.

I agree with the rest of your post, but this right here … did we watch the same movies?

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

Phasma is most certainly not a “strong character,” female or otherwise.

I don’t see why she has to be though.

Author
Time

rodneyfaile said:

Rose-
Here is a post I made previously regarding Rose:
Rose Tico holds the entire movie together.

I really love how you stand by this opinion even though it is not a very popular one right now.
I think the message her character represents, and how that affects Finn, is going to play a big part in the conclusion of Episode IX, if JJ and Terrio carry that theme over at least. I certainly hope they do, because honestly I think it is fundamental to ending this saga appropriately.

Author
Time

rodneyfaile said:

Valheru_84 said:
I wouldn’t classify Rey, Holdo, Rose or Phasma as strong characters per se.

Rey-
She is an exceptionally strong person. Her life on Jakku has been hard, but she is still kind to others. She believes in doing what’s right. I attribute her success using the Force to her character. She has demonstrated a strong will and determination. Where we’ve seen others profess that it cannot be done or complain that life isn’t fair, she always believes in herself and her ability to overcome the challenges. Just because she perseveres through adversity, doesn’t mean she hasn’t experienced it. From her abandonment on Jakku and hard life of a scavenger, being pursued and captured by Kylo, seeing Han killed and Finn badly injured, the unwillingness of Luke to train her, further rejection from Kylo. She just keeps going. She is like the star QB. It doesn’t matter if the previous play went poorly. There’s no time to dwell on that. Just line up and execute this play. Just play this down, and then the next. She makes the people around her better.

Holdo-
I have no problem with her not wanting to sit down and explain every decision to a recently demoted Poe. You think an Admiral feels obligated to hold everyone’s hand and walk them through everything just to get their approval?

Phasma-
She is a villain, but is a very strong character. She commands the respect of those around her and is an intimidating foe. She makes a lot out of the limited screen time we get to see her.

Rose-
Here is a post I made previously regarding Rose:
Rose Tico holds the entire movie together.

At the end of The Force Awakens, Finn had made some progress, but this arc was far from over. He cared about Rey enough to overcome his fears and accompany Han and Chewie to Starkiller in an effort to rescue her. But he wasn’t honest about his reasons for going. He exaggerated his knowledge of Starkiller because as he told Han, he was just there for Rey. He didn’t care about the Resistance, or their cause.

Finn meets two people in The Last Jedi who have a profound effect on him. Rose is in agony over the loss of her sister, yet is still holding to her ideals and devoted to the Resistance. She has lost everything but will simply not quit. Then in stark contrast he meets DJ who has no convictions at all. Finally the light bulb comes on and Finn takes a side. He faces off with the embodiment of his greatest fear in Phasma and pronounces himself “Rebel” scum. He is fully on board now and is a different person by the time they reach Crait.

Finn is so gung-ho, in a display reminiscent of Poe’s previous unwillingness to follow orders, he tries to take on the First Order all by himself. Rose saves him because she believes the way to win is not by throwing your life away, but by living to fight another day, obviously informed by the loss of her sister.

Poe learns to respect authority before he can be in a position of authority and a true leader. Rey goes from seeking to identify herself through others to being comfortable with who she is and understands her place in the galaxy. There is just so much character development and wonderful storytelling. The Last Jedi is a great movie.

^Very well articulated and I especially like your take on Rose being informed by the loss of her sister . That is something I did not consider until now , but it makes a lot of sense to me .

https://screamsinthevoid.deviantart.com/

Author
Time

Mara Jade. As written by Zahn.
Jyn. Perfect as handled by Ms Jones. I need to see about any EU if it exists.
Leia. Star Wars, Empire, Splinter Of The Mind’s Eye, NPR Star Wars, some Zahn.
Enfys Nest. Really sorry we won’t see more. Wish Zahn would pen a novel about her.
Rose. Excellent so far, largely because of Ms Tran. Hoping for a deeper turn.
Shada D’ukal and Karoly D’ulin. As written by Zahn. If there are other novels, I’m unaware.
Mon Mothma. Only in Rogue One. I don’t remember Return enough to say.

No doubt, there are others. These came to mind when I read the question.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

As good a place as any for this… Happy International Women’s Day:-

^ from https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsCantina/comments/ayuimq/happy_international_womens_day/
 

Edit: Part 2:-

^ from https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsCantina/comments/az47xh/happy_international_womens_day_part_2_still/
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here?
And say something righteous and hopeful for a change?