Sign In

StarWarsLegacy.com - The Official Thread — Page 96

Author
Time

By the way, none of you exist until I meet you…sorry to have to bring that up but it’s true.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:
Basically it’s the Schrödinger’s cat of Star Wars restorations.

Can this be the new title of the restoration?

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

By the way, none of you exist until I meet you…sorry to have to bring that up but it’s true.

We don’t exist to you or at all? Does Mike Verta exist?

I picture us all lined up in your top dresser drawer… just a pile of socks.

Preferred Saga:
PT: Hal9000
4/5: Adywan
6: NSP
7/8: Hal9000

Author
Time

Isn’t Reliance Lowry?

"Right now the coffees are doing their final work." (Airi, Masked Rider Den-o episode 1)

Author
Time

So Mike posted an update on his forum:

Mike Verta said:

Hello, everyone!

It is September 13, 2016. As of today, I still do not have a “go” for an official presentation with the only people at Disney who matter.

I’m ready for it, but executives are funny.

There is another important push happening at the end of October to get this to happen, which is later than I want, but my hands are tied. So far I would categorize the response to our push as either 1) Completely uninterested, as though we were talking about some obscure B-movie from 1930 or 2) Nervous and skittish.

There’s a weird energy around the original Star Wars - it’s the one where fans’ enthusiasm is at 100, and everyone official’s enthusiasm is at, like, 5. It’s always been this way. It’s why when the original Death Star model was found and offered to LFL, they were like, “meh.” It’s why they bulldozed the original starfield even though there was plenty of room for it. It’s why, bizarrely, efforts to donate restoration services to the original decaying props (usually by the very people who originally created them) never seems to get any traction.

There was an amazing exception to this sort of thing in the Star Trek world, with the year-long, meticulous restoration of the original Enterprise model for the Smithsonian, carried out by exactly the sort of people who should be doing it. The results are breathtaking. We’re sitting on the same potential for the original Star Wars, it’s just very hard to get people to get behind it.

The battle is FAR from over. I remain absolutely committed to getting this done or die trying. Thanks for hanging in there, and remember to keep the faith, hard as it is.

In other news, my boy turned 6 on September 7th, and this year’s movie was Empire. Interestingly, he felt exactly about it the way I did. He’s not sure what to make of Darth Vader being Luke’s dad. I think he doesn’t quite buy it. He liked the walkers and the snowspeeders (who doesn’t?), but afterwards, wanted to rewatch the first one. Next year is Jedi.

_Mike

I guess we now have the end of October to look forward to.

Author
Time

Lust-In-Phaze said:

danielp103 said:

he already has made what I consider the greatest restoration ever

Okay, I’m as excited for the day Legacy is released but take it easy. None of us have seen it. I think even he would say it’s a little unjustified to make that call before actually watching his restoration.

Perhaps your right, I may have jumped the gun but I’m just really excited at the idea that this restoration exists.

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

nightstalkerpoet said:

TV’s Frink said:

By the way, none of you exist until I meet you…sorry to have to bring that up but it’s true.

We don’t exist to you or at all? Does Mike Verta exist?

The moon doesn’t exist until I go there.

Can’t wait 😃

“I want to watch Empire on my refrigerator’s LCD screen but listen to the Austrailan audio thru my USB phonograph setup and it worked on the other two movies” -yoda-sama

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

nightstalkerpoet said:

TV’s Frink said:

By the way, none of you exist until I meet you…sorry to have to bring that up but it’s true.

We don’t exist to you or at all? Does Mike Verta exist?

The moon doesn’t exist until I go there.

That’s no moon.

If your crop is water, what, exactly, would you dust your crops with?

Author
Time

One of these days, bang, zoom.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

By the way, none of you exist until I meet you…sorry to have to bring that up but it’s true.

I for one definitely don’t exist. I’m just the result of a cat walking across somebody’s keyboard somewhere…

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

By the way, none of you exist until I meet you…sorry to have to bring that up but it’s true.

Right back at ya, friend

Author
Time

poita said:

It certainly won’t have more detail than the original negs, I don’t see how that could be possible as the prints are derived from them.

If they had more detail then I think we would be breaking some fundamental laws of physics 😃

He restored the latter part of the crawl by re-purposing the earlier part. The result he says is “probably better than the quality of the negative”.

Source:
https://vimeo.com/98412058

Author
Time

greedo said:

poita said:

It certainly won’t have more detail than the original negs, I don’t see how that could be possible as the prints are derived from them.

If they had more detail then I think we would be breaking some fundamental laws of physics 😃

He restored the latter part of the crawl by re-purposing the earlier part. The result he says is “probably better than the quality of the negative”.

Source:
https://vimeo.com/98412058

Right. This is one of the only things in this restoration that the purist in me thinks is a bit “wrong,” but the perfectionist in me thinks looks totally awesome.

“You don’t really mean you’ll kill me, do you?” - Juror 8
“Silence, Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an extra-terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!” - Calvin “Marty” Klein

Author
Time

Swazzy said:

If I’m recalling correctly, he undid the repurposing later down the line.

No way, after all that work! I guess the puritanical guilt was too much to bear. Where did you find that out?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mike I have just been looking at some of your videos.

I have a comment on this one for you.

https://vimeo.com/120340364

Where the Hanger entrance to Space is, it cut’s off the Back of the Millennium Falcon. That is all really I wonder if there is remnants of the full falcon image without the Hanger entance /exit to outer space cutting off it’s rear end?

Seems like another Blooper.

I know the back of the live action Hanger was false perspective so It’s probably some kind of goof in measurement.

It would be nice if it exists to put the back of the falcon back in to the image. It’s from the photo half of the Falcon… But it could be that Ellenshaw Matte painting is covering the back right hand side matting the back out of the Falcon(Photo Side).

It’s easy to tell because the guns have been chopped in half. Is there anyway you could get your hands on the original photo they used?

Author
Time

That’d be Special Edition stuff that has no place in a restoration.

Author
Time

Ronster said:

Mike I have just been looking at some of your videos.

I have a comment on this one for you.

https://vimeo.com/120340364

Dammit, I never needed to know that wasn’t a full shot of the Falcon… how can I unsee the live action and matte painting parts now? Still, impressive job on Mike’s part taking it from the obvious live/matte distinction to his convincing final shot.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Indeed, like what Mike has done.

But I think the main motivation for the change is now clear. But with that said they still missed a small slither off the back right hand corner so It could not have been the main motivation.

I did a quick edit on the special edition to roughly fill in the full shape. I am no expert artist but this is the best I could do. And it’s a damn shame they did not fix it properly whilst changing stuff to make inconsistancy.

My wish would be have the Original Hangar and the full Millennium Falcon shape but I know what preservation types are like they are too strict perhaps when it comes to a goof like that. I’d like to re-define what preservation is but they won’t have it.

Author
Time

Ronster said:

Indeed, like what Mike has done.

But I think the main motivation for the change is now clear. But with that said they still missed a small slither off the back right hand corner so It could not have been the main motivation.

I did a quick edit on the special edition to roughly fill in the full shape. I am no expert artist but this is the best I could do. And it’s a damn shame they did not fix it properly whilst changing stuff to make inconsistancy.

My wish would be have the Original Hangar and the full Millennium Falcon shape but I know what preservation types are like they are too strict when it comes to perhaps a goof like that. I’d like to re-define what preservation is but they won’t have it.

That does look better. thanks for pointing that out. When I originally saw Mike’s video it did strike me as a bit off.

Author
Time

BTW the blooper he points out in: https://vimeo.com/98398821
Also occurs in ANHR, I wonder if it will be fixed in AHRSE.

*Sorry if this has already been discussed and going partly off-topic - I wasn’t sure where else to mention this.

Author
Time

Preservations don’t turn a blind eye to goofs, rather they’re lauded. “Warts and all” is the nuts and bolts of a good preservation, once you start fixing things it quickly turns revisionist. It isn’t at all that preservation should be redefined, but that you need to find the correct words to describe what you want.

Perhaps yes, there could be a perfect version that could come from fixing things that weren’t intended to end up the way they did, but that’s a moving target which cannot be reached and satisfy all people. Any way you go about it, though, it is outside of the scope of a project like this.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

yoda-sama said:

Preservations don’t turn a blind eye to goofs, rather they’re lauded. “Warts and all” is the nuts and bolts of a good preservation, once you start fixing things it quickly turns revisionist. It isn’t at all that preservation should be redefined, but that you need to find the correct words to describe what you want.

Perhaps yes, there could be a perfect version that could come from fixing things that weren’t intended to end up the way they did, but that’s a moving target which cannot be reached and satisfy all people. Any way you go about it, though, it is outside of the scope of a project like this.

Understood. Yes chasing the dream and trying to understand the reasoning behind the butchering whilst still not totally fixing the only problem it had.

Never mind bit of fun I guess 😃

“Intention” is the word I am looking for I hope mike re-aligns those flashes It proves we still have not seen STAR WARS even nearly 40 years later.