Sign In

StarWarsLegacy.com - The Official Thread — Page 111

Author
Time

screams in the void said:

^ I saw the Imax AOTC at Navy Pier in Chicago in November of 2002 and loved it . I would also love to see a fan recreation of that cut . Here is a resource that may help editors that wish to attempt it , archived on TFN …
http://www.theforce.net/episode2/story/The_Definitive_IMAX_Cut_Scenes_List_64801.asp this is pretty much what I remember seeing .

I’m going to quote the whole thing here, just in case that page ever goes down.

TheForce.net said:

  • The first scene with Amidala, Organa, Yoda et al in Palpy’s office is gone.

  • The portion where Jar Jar greets Obi and Anakin at the elevator up through the “awkward reintroduction” of Anakin to Padme was removed. The scene starts with Obi/Ani talking about how they’re going to find the person responsible, etc.

  • After Anakin makes kouhoun sushi and Obi leaps out the window, the end of the scene where Dorme’ asks Padme if she’s alright was trimmed off.

  • A minor trim: the part where the assasin droid (to which Obi-Wan is clinging) tries to scrape Obi against the building was removed.

  • The rest of the Coruscant chase remains intact, and WOW - it is simply breathtaking (if not a little dizzying on an 8-story screen)! This is a scene almost tailor-made for IMAX.

  • In Padme’s quarters, a minor trim of Anakin playing with the floating ball and (I think) the part where he says he’s ready for the trials.

  • The discussion between Obi-Wan, Mace and the floaty Yoda was removed.

  • On the train, the tearful goodbye of Dorme was trimmed out of the rest of the scene (since I am a HUGE Dorme fan, I wasn’t so happy about this). 😃

  • The library scene was completely removed.

  • The very end of the arrival on Naboo (where they are walking down the long curved columned pathway was trimmed, as was the entire meeting with Queen Jamilla.

  • When Anakin and Padme arrive at the Naboo Spa and Resort Island, there are quite a few minor trims - the part about “here, everything is soft and smooth” to the hand touch and back rub was clipped out.

  • As far as the rest of the Naboo scenes go, the only ones that were left in were the dinner table scene (with some beautifully crafted digital pans to account for the reduced aspect ratios - it was 100% smooth and natural. At least we think that’s what they did!) and a much abbreviated but significantly smoother fireplace scene. The “I’m haunted by the kiss you never should have given me” is one of the exorcised lines. No “sound of music”, no picnic and no Shaak-riding.

  • On Kamino, the portion of the scene where he heads back out to his ship to have R4 send a message back to Coruscant was trimmed out.

  • Boba’s firing of the Slave I cannons was trimmed out of the fight, but we didn’t realize it after the scene was over!

  • The Anakin “a sheet, a dream, a moan” - scene is gone. It goes straight to Anakin in his meditative “Vader-esque” pose on the balcony.

  • On Tatooine, 3POs introduction of Anakin/Padme to Owen/Beru was cut (taking with it Beru’s one and only line - sorry, Beru fans!)

  • In the Confession scene, the beginning part in which Anakin comments about “the shifter broke. Life seems so much simpler when you’re fixing things,” was cut. NOTE: The ending of the Confession scene is the original ending (ie. without Padme’s “…is to be human” line).

  • Dooku’s entrance into Obi-Wan’s floating cell was trimmed off, as was the end portion about “it might be difficult to secure your release”.

  • The scene in Palpy’s ofc where he manipulates Jar Jar to consider making the “emergency powers” motion in the Senate was removed completely.

  • Yoda and Mace’s conversation where Mace states that their abilities to use the Force are diminished was cut out.

  • On Geonosis, there is portion of the scene after Ani/Padme exit the ship, and R2 wants to do the same. The part where C3PO and R2 argue, and 3PO says that he knows all about humans was trimmed off.

  • The factory scene was shortened by numerous quick cuts and edits. A couple of the cuts we caught were the shots where C3PO hanging by his fingertips and the 1st “teaser” of molten metal where you see the cannister iris open and drop a load, only to find out that it wasn’t Padme’s container.

  • The final battle, as far as we could tell, is completely intact and completely freakin’ amazing now that you can actually see the battle going on in the background!

  • A note: not a cut, but a switch: after Padme falls out of the transport and the trooper arrives to help her, it is the version where she grunts and just says “Uh-huh,” when he asks her if she’s alright.

Author
Time

2002 was a strange time. But hey, I guess he was just a really early Rose Byrne fan.

Author
Time

timdiggerm said:

2002 was a strange time. But hey, I guess he was just a really early Rose Byrne fan.

Wow, it looks like I am disconnected from most of pop culture these days; I had no idea this actress went on to do anything whatsoever!

“It is only through interaction, through decision and choice, through confrontation, physical or mental, that the Force can grow within you.”
-Kreia, Jedi Master and Sith Lord

Author
Time

theprequelsrule said:

timdiggerm said:

2002 was a strange time. But hey, I guess he was just a really early Rose Byrne fan.

Wow, it looks like I am disconnected from most of pop culture these days; I had no idea this actress went on to do anything whatsoever!

She’s good in Sunshine (2007), which happens to be my favorite film. It’s funny, I realized just a year or two ago that she was even in Star Wars.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’m glad you all have taken an interest in the IMAX cut of AOTC. Are there any fan recreations available? Would be great if it got an official release or maybe someone who worked on the film could shed some light on it.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This thread is really for mverta’s Star Wars Legacy project - and there are plenty of relevant AOTC IMAX threads on here to talk in about that topic - many of which can be found in the ‘Prequel Section’ of An Index Thread (and more) for Star Wars Preservations… - thank you 😃
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time

I wonder what Mike Verta thinks of the 4k version on Disney+ and coming to UHD later this year, when compared to the product or progress of his work on Legacy.

Author
Time

a_o said:

I wonder what Mike Verta thinks of the 4k version on Disney+ and coming to UHD later this year, when compared to the product or progress of his work on Legacy.

He hated the colors of the Reliance Media restoration from which these new masters are sourced from. The raw SDR colors of the Disney+ look very similar to the RM (muted and washed out), but as DrDre pointed out on the 4K Restoration of Star Wars thread the HDR adds back a lot of color and looks far more saturated.

Author
Time

MaestroDavros said:

a_o said:

I wonder what Mike Verta thinks of the 4k version on Disney+ and coming to UHD later this year, when compared to the product or progress of his work on Legacy.

He hated the colors of the Reliance Media restoration from which these new masters are sourced from. The raw SDR colors of the Disney+ look very similar to the RM (muted and washed out), but as DrDre pointed out on the 4K Restoration of Star Wars thread the HDR adds back a lot of color and looks far more saturated.

He discusses is here: https://vimeo.com/123475322

Author
Time

MrPib said:

MaestroDavros said:

a_o said:

I wonder what Mike Verta thinks of the 4k version on Disney+ and coming to UHD later this year, when compared to the product or progress of his work on Legacy.

He hated the colors of the Reliance Media restoration from which these new masters are sourced from. The raw SDR colors of the Disney+ look very similar to the RM (muted and washed out), but as DrDre pointed out on the 4K Restoration of Star Wars thread the HDR adds back a lot of color and looks far more saturated.

He discusses is here: https://vimeo.com/123475322

And here: https://vimeo.com/122877129

http://www.thestarwarstrilogy.com

http://www.the007dossier.com

Author
Time

Glad to see this thread and the hope for some sort of release of Legacy has not died.

…and now I’m 56 yrs old! (See my last post here a year ago lol)

(Insert Wilhelm scream here)

Yeah I grabbed the D+ versions for comparison…they were what I was basically expecting.

Still awaiting new versions from TN1 because they have done an incredible job up to now, especially with those last color corrections. (pm me will if you have any exciting news)

And I still have all harmy’s stuff because of his famous splice work.

As for mike…We love the time/work/dedication you have done for all of us. We know you must remain silent regarding this whole thing. Hope you and your family are healthy and whole.

For the rest of the community , i would like to extend an invitation to join me as i infiltrate Verta Ranch to steal a copy of Legacy. I have an insider named “Scruffy Nerf-Herder” who can get us in.

Author
Time

Why can’t it be released online? I know there are reasons, I just don’t know what they are.

Author
Time

thedewback2 said:

Why can’t it be released online? I know there are reasons, I just don’t know what they are.

Legal reasons. Mike has been trying to be completely above-board on his work. He has been in direct contact with both Disney/Fox and probably others. To violate that “friendship” would most likely be very disastrous for him. As a private project he probably wouldn’t get into too much trouble owning that restoration…but as a PUBLIC entity that is where multiple legal teams would eat him alive…unless he had express permission to release it.

At least it exists. And if we are lucky someday we fans will get a copy to cherish.

Author
Time

Finnius said:

At least it exists. And if we are lucky someday we future generations of fans will get a copy to cherish.

T,FTFY

2072 at the earliest, assuming the copyright isn’t extended again before then.

Project Threepio (Star Wars OOT subtitles)

Author
Time

I was 13 years old when Star Wars came to the cinema…and the Drive-In theaters (who remembers those?).

I’m slowly coming to terms with the fact that I will probably die before seeing Mike’s Legacy project.

I have never tried to contact Mike about acquiring a copy for private viewing. Hell, if he were open to it…i would fly to his home just to see it on the screen. Lol fat chance of that happening.

My point is that us old fuckers that got to see it in 1977 are slowly dying. In 10, 20, 30 years max almost everyone alive during that time will be dead. In 7 years it will be the 50th anniversary of the public release…and the “best” version I can LEGALLY buy/watch is still an abomination…a completely separate entity from what I grew up with and loved.

Author
Time

I mean you could contact him on Twitter but good luck with convincing you to give you a download links through Resilio or any other means…

Hope you do succeed 👍

Author
Time

Jedi Master Skywalker said:

I mean you could contact him on Twitter but good luck with convincing you to give you a download links through Resilio or any other means…

Hope you do succeed 👍

Oh i never said i was looking for a download link. Like i said, i never asked him, and i had plenty of opportunity to. I’m just grumbling…lol

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Finnius said:

Jedi Master Skywalker said:

I mean you could contact him on Twitter but good luck with convincing you to give you a download links through Resilio or any other means…

Hope you do succeed 👍

Oh i never said i was looking for a download link. Like i said, i never asked him, and i had plenty of opportunity to. I’m just grumbling…lol

Ah, fair enough…I’ve been grumbling for years, I am sick of Disney not giving us what we want the most

Author
Time

ChainsawAsh said:

cough 4K77 cough

Yes I have 4k77 but it’s not Legacy. You have to admit that the time and work Mike put into his project was monumental…and judging by all the vimeo it would have been breathtaking to see in a large screen.

Author
Time

No, 4K77 isn’t Legacy.

4K77 exists.

a trolling bantha