Sign In

Star Wars coming to Blu Ray (UPDATE: August 30 2011, No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!) — Page 241

Author
Time

Drunken Jedi Master said:

doubleofive said:

These R2 rock additions are cracking me up. The rocks never change, even if the angle on R2 changes.

It's so bad it's almost good.

 How many articles is this now? I've lost count. And they are all negative. They should all be forwarded to Lucasfilm/Fox.

Author
Time

OT.com: George, the Star Wars Blu Rays are evil!

George: From my point of view practical effects and scenes that actually work are evil!

Author
Time

The Cutter said:

rpvee said:

Here's one post:

  I've watched the uneditted versions of the originals, and frankly i didn't like them at all, but maybe that's cuz my generation don't like movies that were made in the 70s. 
 

No, it's because the new generation has no taste.

Hollywood executives, producers etc are responsible for this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQStHo-u6W8

 The new generation likes only shit because since its birth it eats only shit

 

those who are tired of it all, join me in the dark side !! The truth is here !! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvpT_7BMAc

 

 

In the end shlock will rule the day, and American cinema will die and never recover. This and the inevitable destruction of the OUT we are all trying to deny makes life pretty hopeless for us.

Author
Time

Funny!  But shouldn't Vader's voice be Mustafa?

Author
Time

Angel said:

The Cutter said:

 The new generation likes only shit because since its birth it eats only shit

 

those who are tired of it all, join me in the dark side !! The truth is here !! : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GvpT_7BMAc

 

One of the saviours:D

 

-Angel

 and you, one of the apostle ! :)

Author
Time

georgec said:

Holy hell these are hilarious - too many to link directly here.

Predictions for additional changes:

http://imgur.com/a/uKl8e

very funny, thanks for this

Author
Time

I wrote my 1 star review on amazon.de. Since it's the second one there, I only got comments, about early reviews being useless, and that I'm an attentionwhore.

*sigh*

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I was just watching ROTJ again and one thing i noticed is that a whole section of the movie looks almost out of focus. Anyone who has the blu-ray rips just check the part where the Tydirium is approaching Endor. It lasts until around the speeder bike chase. It's the same on the HDTV 2004 version too. It is such a huge drop in image clarity it looks almost DVD upscaled. Compare it to the rest of the movie and you will see what i mean.

EDIT you can check out just how different it is here:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77704

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77705

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77706

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77707

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time

adywan said:

I was just watching ROTJ again and one thing i noticed is that a whole section of the movie looks almost out of focus. Anyone who has the blu-ray rips just check the part where the Tydirium is approaching Endor. It lasts until around the speeder bike chase. It's the same on the HDTV 2004 version too. It is such a huge drop in image clarity it looks almost DVD upscaled. Compare it to the rest of the movie and you will see what i mean.

EDIT you can check out just how different it is here:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77704

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77705

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77706

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/77707

Yeah. Even from the HDTV rips that was the quality. Never got why the unfocused shots are so oftern in this movie. Wasnt a rumor that this movie supposed being shot with new cameras?

 

-Angel

–>Artwork<–**

Author
Time
 (Edited)

metaender said:

(Bad things!)

To a dark place this line of thought will carry us. Great care we must take.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

bkev said:


I'm not sure why I care so much, but Katie Lucas seems to be getting much more civil. Good for her.

Katie Lucas said:


You are absolutely allowed your opinions,but don't be abusive about it! He's my father he's not a punching bag!spew your hate somewhere else


Can't be easy, being adopted. I can't even begin to comprehend how that would change your outlook on life, compared to the insignificance of your adopted father's endless tinkering with pop culture for no good reason other than (maybe) to secure a decent inheritance via JAK productions.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I've spoken with Katie over Twitter (somewhat) extensively in the past, and she seems like she has a good head on her shoulders and that her heart is in the right place.

Now, whereas Star Wars is concerned, neither of those apply, and it's because she doesn't see our perspective. Which is understandable. She did, after all, grow up with the man who created it. Even if George never changed the movies, her perspective would be different than ours.

Let's play a game. Imagine that your father invented one of the biggest pop culture/cinematic/toy/everything franchises in the world, and then was constantly hounded by strangers from all over the world because he changed a few things about it. Wouldn't you also defend your father vitriolically? He's your dad, after all. I assume he was a good father to her. I assume he treated her well and that she grew up in a loving household. I assume she grew up, like most kids do, idolizing her parents, and that, being George Lucas' daughter, that the changes he made make sense to her because what he says goes, and she never saw the movies as they were in 1977, I'm sure. Of course she's going to defend her family when a bunch of strangers attack them for what is, to her, no reason.

Attacking her or her father through her is silly. She has no clue where we're coming from, even less than George himself. She has no idea the impact the OT had on all of us when we first saw it, because she never experienced it. The only thing that attacking her serves is to do is polarize the next generation of LucasFilm against our cause. Instead of possibly being nice and communicating to her how things used to be and making her go "Daddy... why did you change Star Wars?" she has always seen this side of the Star Wars fandom as angry, profanity-spewing, violent, hate-machines who have it in for her and her family.

It's disgusting.

 

Now, that doesn't excuse her flipping out and confronting violence with more violence, but it might help us understand her point of view on the matter. Is she close minded about it? Yes, she is. But when you're the child of the Pope, you're damn right you're going to be Catholic. When people attack you for your beliefs, you're damn right it only serves to strengthen your resolve. All she's ever experienced with Star Wars is misguided, irrational hate for no reason, so it's really no surprise to me when she comes out swinging against people who have hated her family for her entire life. Instead of trying to maybe reach her, maybe make her think about the situation rationally and communicate our grievances calmly and intelligently, maybe she would have come to wonder why her father didn't release the movies as they were originally.

Instead we have slowly, over the years, created someone who will one day take over LucasFilm and remember how the OT Preservationists treated her family as she was growing up, and be even less likely to release the films we love in any form than George is now.

I could be wrong, yes. Maybe she would be like this anyway, no matter how nice we were as she was growing up. But I can guarantee you that the relationship between LucasFilm and the OT Preservationists has only suffered, and will only continue to suffer because of it.

Keep Circulating the Tapes.

END OF LINE

(It hasn’t happened yet)

Author
Time

metaender said:

I feel we have every right to take whatever we feel like. I know most people can find these discs on the torrent sites but if someone is not able to I will personally make it my mission to provide links to anyone who PMs me when these are out. Its not about supporting piracy its about taking whats rightfully ours and giving George long overdue middle finger.

NO

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tyrphanax said:

I've spoken with Katie over Twitter (somewhat) extensively in the past, and she seems like she has a good head on her shoulders and that her heart is in the right place.

Now, whereas Star Wars is concerned, neither of those apply, and it's because she doesn't see our perspective. Which is understandable. She did, after all, grow up with the man who created it. Even if George never changed the movies, her perspective would be different than ours.

Let's play a game. Imagine that your father invented one of the biggest pop culture/cinematic/toy/everything franchises in the world, and then was constantly hounded by strangers from all over the world because he changed a few things about it. Wouldn't you also defend your father vitriolically? He's your dad, after all. I assume he was a good father to her. I assume he treated her well and that she grew up in a loving household. I assume she grew up, like most kids do, idolizing her parents, and that, being George Lucas' daughter, that the changes he made make sense to her because what he says goes, and she never saw the movies as they were in 1977, I'm sure. Of course she's going to defend her family when a bunch of strangers attack them for what is, to her, no reason.

Attacking her or her father through her is silly. She has no clue where we're coming from, even less than George himself. She has no idea the impact the OT had on all of us when we first saw it, because she never experienced it. The only thing that attacking her serves is to do is polarize the next generation of LucasFilm against our cause. Instead of possibly being nice and communicating to her how things used to be and making her go "Daddy... why did you change Star Wars?" she has always seen this side of the Star Wars fandom as angry, profanity-spewing, violent, hate-machines who have it in for her and her family.

It's disgusting.

 

Now, that doesn't excuse her flipping out and confronting violence with more violence, but it might help us understand her point of view on the matter. Is she close minded about it? Yes, she is. But when you're the child of the Pope, you're damn right you're going to be Catholic. When people attack you for your beliefs, you're damn right it only serves to strengthen your resolve. All she's ever experienced with Star Wars is misguided, irrational hate for no reason, so it's really no surprise to me when she comes out swinging against people who have hated her family for her entire life. Instead of trying to maybe reach her, maybe make her think about the situation rationally and communicate our grievances calmly and intelligently, maybe she would have come to wonder why her father didn't release the movies as they were originally.

Instead we have slowly, over the years, created someone who will one day take over LucasFilm and remember how the OT Preservationists treated her family as she was growing up, and be even less likely to release the films we love in any form than George is now.

I could be wrong, yes. Maybe she would be like this anyway, no matter how nice we were as she was growing up. But I can guarantee you that the relationship between LucasFilm and the OT Preservationists has only suffered, and will only continue to suffer because of it.

It's possible that some of Ted Turner's family felt the same way about that Star Wars bloke being critical about him adding a splash of colour to obsolete classics and perhaps getting some picky modern eighties kids to watch at least a version of Casablanca.

The bottom line is if George had put the preserved original versions in the set from the beginning any reasonable reason for a ballyhoo would have been silenced. 

Everything about this set has been a PR disaster.

Not only are the original award winning films missing, these new SEs are not what were advertised.

Lucas had plenty of opportunities to announce these new changes but it takes an act of 'unorthodox distribution' to bring them to light????

What if these scenes hadn't been discovered and people only found out about it on the day their pre-ordered sets arrived in the post?

If she is to take any degree of active interest in her father's business Katie has to get her head around why people are so upset about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Tobar wrote: Interesting article from Deadline.

That article is traveling fast, at least your link has the update with SSW.c link.  The next piece for people to read, shows that LFL did actually permanently alter the film. (negatives)

http://originaltrilogy.com/Lucasfilm_PR_response.cfm

The negatives of the movies were permanently altered for the creation of the Special Editions, and existing prints of the first versions are in poor condition.

This quote is mentioned in the SSW.c article:

http://savestarwars.com/gout.html

So that's an idea for the place to have these articles link to next.   Not sure though, ahh they cherry pic quotes, and that's the one which shows what LFL did.  Reinforcing the other quote.  Ah the articles are there, people will read at their own pace.

Author
Time

Bingowings said:

ladyferry said:

I'm still weeping on the kitchen floor (if anyone is interested?)

Get up of that floor and dry your tears.

Runny mascara takes an age to mop up.

i always wear waterproof mascara and I've moved my weepings to the cool tlled bathroom floor (it's toasty in London!).

I am a kite dancing in a hurricane …
https://twitter.com/ActivistFangirl

Author
Time

metaender said:

 

 we have every right to take whatever we feel like. ...its about taking whats rightfully ours...

We don't have every right to take whatever we want and none of it is rightfully ours.

Fan preservation of the original versions is one thing, and I'm very much in favor of it.  However, being deprived of a high quality version of the original films doesn't make it ok to steal.

As you mentioned yourself, people gave money to Lucas for the inferior versions - versions they knew were inferior when they bought them.  Lucas didn't go into their homes while they were at work, take the money, and leave SEs on the kitchen counter.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"Why are you here, Rey from nowhere?”

Author
Time
 (Edited)

There are classic works of art taking up space in bank vaults because they are privately owned.

This is a bit odd because the owner in this instance is in part the artist.

I'm more miffed that the OUT will never be seen officially on a cinema screen again (not even an arthouse showing) if Lucas get's his way, than not having a HD version officially out there to watch at home but it's still a pain.

It's all rather academic and hypothetical.

I would never illegally download these new versions, they are horrid but if a HD version of the originals started floating around out there and Lucas still refused to allow us to buy it I have to confess I may contemplate piracy.

It would be more like downloading a scan of one of those lost paintings than stealing the actual painting.

Lucas could keep his materials in his vaults and I would have a copy of it to refresh my memories and to show to future generations.

I'd prefer to pay the man for it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6Dp2OfIT_M