My pal always wanted to make a Star Wars fan-film, (I even got my wife to sew a Jedi robe for one false-start) but those are lots of work. After a lengthy bull session at the pub he decided he wants to make an audio-drama, and he wants my help (aka me doing it) to write it. He's to handle the rest of production, which is fine with me.
I said I'd give it a shot provided it wouldn't be about Jedi. We hashed out a very rough premise, which I've rounded into the following 'pitch' set five years after the birth of the Empire.
"You know those battles where droids fought clones and no one got hurt? That wasn't where I fought"
Brett Thousand was a wealthy merchant who lost it all when he fought for the Seperatists in the Clone Wars. Now Thousand is reduced to drinking too much and running a refueling space-station in orbit around a blackhole in the middle of nowhere. He's joined by Shaeka, the perpetually gruff assistant manager, and her twin sister Siria, the engineer who keeps the aging station running.
Across the station (gravity flips) is a semi-legal casino/vice-den run by Lady Kat, an alien of some sort, and her majordomo/bodyguard Alpha-D, a converted 8 foot tall labor-droid.
Rounding out the cast is the outrageously corrupt and lazy, but overwhelingly polite Imperial Section Overseer Geval, who's only goals in life are to avoid attention from his superiors and enjoy the occasional bribe.
The main premise would revolve around Brett trying not to get involved when trouble comes his way. Episode ideas include:
- A ship of battle-droids that have been lost in deep space without hyperdrive for 8 years show up and don't know the war is over.
- The station, unbeknownst to Brett, is being used as a hub by a pair of smugglers engaged in the highly illegal new market of Jedi paraphenalia.
- The old drunk in the casino who seems to always win just enough to pay for his lodging turns out to be an important Republic Senator on the run for speaking out against Palpatine.
- A big game hunter starts searching the nearby planets for the dreaded, perhaps mythical Tarsabeast... or is he after something more sinister
- Religious zealots from Lady Kat's homeworld come to arrest her for some theological violation, but Brett can't afford to keep the station running without her. And perhaps he has personal reasons for not wanting to lose his partner.
We're supposed to meet up Sunday for dinner and put some more work into it. I'd be curious what anyone thinks of the basic pitch and concepts behind it. Ideas? Questions? Concerns? Insults?
Also, I want the title to be "SOMETHING: A Star Wars Tale" with SOMETHING being the name of the Space-station. I haven't for the life of me been able to think of a single decent possible name. Any ideas would be appreciated.