Sign In

Star Wars at box office

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I’ve been checking out how TFA does at the box office and it’ll pass Titanic easily. But do you think it will pass Avatar? At first I thought it could, but it’s still a billion away. If you think it could, would it pass 3 billion? Just some speculation for fun, I’d love to have it take the first place from Avatar. I still can’t believe it made 2 billion outside US. Well, I can’t believe Jurassic World or better yet Furious 7 (probably the worst one in the series) even grossed a billion.

Do you think new SW movies can beat TFA at the box office or was this as good as it gets? Or how do you think the spinoffs compare to e.g. to the PT? Do you think George sees nightmares about gross? Discuss. 😃

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

Only if they do a re-release will TFA have a shot at Avatar.

Currently, NOPE.

The Hope Awakens

Author
Time

It remains to be seen what box office legs TFA has long term. It’s barely been out a month.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

When TFA opened I was convinced that it would shatter Avatar’s record. Now, I’m not sure.

It still baffles me that Avatar made so much money in the first place. Most people I know say it was boring and forgettable (I agree).

Collipso is free!

Author
Time

suspiciouscoffee said:

When TFA opened I was convinced that it would shatter Avatar’s record. Now, I’m not sure.

It still baffles me that Avatar made so much money in the first place. Most people I know say it was boring and forgettable (I agree).

Yeah same with Titanic, and on top of that it was mostly just a made up love story that dragged the deaths of 1500 real people into the situation for some reason. Then there are parts where it couldn’t bother to get the history right, so it’s not as bad as titanic, but Avatar was boring and preachy.

I have no idea how that movie was such a huge hit at the box office. I am guessing a lot of people agreed with me because I was working at Wal Mart at the time and the huge number of DvDs and Blu Rays that were ordered ended up in the five and seven dollar bins within two weeks of coming out. It seems most people didn’t want to rewatch this film at home.

The fact that both Titanic and Avatar were such huge hits baffles me to no end.

My ratings for the Star Wars movies. EP1 4.5/10. Ep2 4.0/10. EP3 2.0/10. EP4 9.5/10. EP5 10/10 EP6 8.5/10 EP7 8.3/10.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I read somewhere that Avatar had the advantage of exchange rates that were 10-15% better. That’s probably the main reason. At least TFA beat it in the US.

Regarding Gone With the Wind’s all time adjusted record, it will never be beat. Simply put, for 40+ years following Gone With the Wind’s initial release there was no such thing as home video, so the only way for people to see it was in theaters. Indeed, GWTW made most of its money from rereleases. That doesn’t even get into the fact of modern internet piracy and the fact that in a few months TFA will be on Blu-Ray, DVD, iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, HBO, torrent sites, etc.

But TFA’s run will be impressive when adjusted for inflation. In fact, it already is. Right now it’s sitting at 15th place all time adjusted, ahead of every Star Wars film save the first two (though it will overtake ESB in a few days). When all is said and done, it has a chance to make it into the top 10, which is VERY impressive.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

I read somewhere that Avatar had the advantage of exchange rates that were 10-15% better. That’s probably the main reason. At least TFA beat it in the US.

Regarding Gone With the Wind’s all time adjusted record, it will never be beat. Simply put, for 40+ years following Gone With the Wind’s initial release there was no such thing as home video, so the only way for people to see it was in theaters. Indeed, GWTW made most of its money from rereleases. That doesn’t even get into the fact of modern internet piracy and the fact that in a few months TFA will be on Blu-Ray, DVD, iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, HBO, torrent sites, etc.

But TFA’s run will be impressive when adjusted for inflation. In fact, it already is. Right now it’s sitting at 15th place all time adjusted, ahead of every Star Wars film save the first two (though it will overtake ESB in a few days). When all is said and done, it has a chance to make it into the top 10, which is VERY impressive.

This is the reason I have been saying for years that if we adjust for inflation then the amount of money made off of home video releases should be counted as well, since most older films have the advantage of TV and home video not existing when they were released so they got rereleased many times over and made a ton of extra money that way.

My ratings for the Star Wars movies. EP1 4.5/10. Ep2 4.0/10. EP3 2.0/10. EP4 9.5/10. EP5 10/10 EP6 8.5/10 EP7 8.3/10.

Author
Time

Damn it has slowed down a lot. I bet it will reach 2 billion this week but is Titanic too far to reach…?

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

LexX said:

Damn it has slowed down a lot. I bet it will reach 2 billion this week but is Titanic too far to reach…?

At this points, quite possibly. I’ve been rooting for it to pass it, but unless something happens within the next month or so, I doubt it. I’m just happy it passed Jurassic World.

Author
Time

One thing you have to remember is that both Titanic and Avatar have had several theatrical releases. Titanic boosted its box office with the 3D version, and was in cinemas for many, many months first time around. Avatar was re-released as an extended version and was also in cinemas for almost a year. Then they weren’t immediately available on home video, when TFA will be available in April. TFA has almost got there with just a over a month in cinemas. TFA could have many re-releases in the future that would count towards its box office. It would be interesting to see the actual figures for Avatar and Titanic on solely their initial release without any subsequent re-releases/ versions

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time

adywan said:

It would be interesting to see the actual figures for Avatar and Titanic on solely their initial release without any subsequent re-releases/ versions

You should be able to on Box Office Mojo.

Author
Time

Has TFA ended it’s 3D IMAX run? My local digital IMAX replaced it with The Finest Hours. I thought I had a little more time to catch it there.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Where were you in '77?

Author
Time

DrCrowTStarwarsreborn said:
This is the reason I have been saying for years that if we adjust for inflation then the amount of money made off of home video releases should be counted as well, since most older films have the advantage of TV and home video not existing when they were released so they got rereleased many times over and made a ton of extra money that way.

That’s an excellent point. Do we know if theatrical re-releases are counted in the overall earnings of a film through the years? Including its opening release, Gone With The Wind has had thirteen theatrical releases from 1939 to 2014.

Also, those are just the studio releases. There have probably been countless retro-theater runs as well which may have made significant amounts of money. That’s how I first saw it back in the 1970s. There was an old theater from the 1930s that had month-long rotations of classic films. Gone With The Wind was a regular there for years.

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

"On and on until we win…or the chances are spent”

Author
Time

Anchorhead said:
Do we know if theatrical re-releases are counted in the overall earnings of a film through the years? Including its opening release, Gone With The Wind has had thirteen theatrical releases from 1939 to 2014.

Also, those are just the studio releases. There have probably been countless retro-theater runs as well which may have made significant amounts of money. That’s how I first saw it back in the 1970s. There was an old theater from the 1930s that had month-long rotations of classic films. Gone With The Wind was a regular there for years.

Yes, re-releases are added to the films total earnings (including any special/ directors/ extended/ 3D editions)

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time

Grossed 2 billion and it’s all-time #1 in the US. 😃 Would be great if it grossed 1 billion there, then it would beat Titanic too. There is still a chance.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time

TAre you a stockholder of Disney?

Author
Time

Looks like it’s gonna settle in at #11 domestic after inflation adjustment, which is pretty damn impressive.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

I don’t bother with non-adjusted because it’s pointless. Look at worldwide:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Throw out Titanic, and the top 20 has exactly one other movie not released in the 2000’s (#20). Not only that, but 15 of the top 20 were released in the last five years, and five were released in 2015 alone. Including Jurassic World (#4), Furious 7 (#6), and Minions (#11). Woof.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness