Sign In

Star Wars - What is wrong and what is right... Goodbye Magenta — Page 9

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ronster said:

towne32 said:

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about.

You know in Star Wars where the actors have really red faces… That is what i am talking about.

Without monitor calibration you don’t know whether those red faces are caused by your source or your setup, and to what extend. You say you don’t need calibration, because the problem is in the file, but this is nonsense. You never accurately see the file without calibration. You see the file through the filter of your setup. In the worst case your correcting for some bias in your setup, which will skew the colors in the opposite direction, namely green. Some here have remarked your corrections are too green and too dark, and I agree with them. This may be your preference, but it’s more likely a problem with your setup.

Author
Time

Possessed said:

I feel like we’re being trolled now.

Of course we are.
Mods, isn’t it time to close this topic?

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I am not trolling.

Look everything I watch Star wars on, It does not look like other films do.

If we go back to say bullitt for instance the actors and actresses don’t have red or overtly red faces in star wars they do. I could compare star wars to a lot of other films and when you compare star wars to other films it certainly looks to me that the problem is Star Wars not my monitor.

So when i hue shift in VLC it might be slight it might have to be a fair amount it makes it look more like a normal film. I am happy with the result of the shifting primarily to rid the film of the weid facial color and make it sjmilar to other films.

Star Wars stands out as having a color shift problem compared to other films in a quite serious way. It is’nt to say it does not happen in other films also as I have already stated but Star Wars has a pretty severe case of it and correcting for that makes it feel much more normal and not so strange.

I like the simplicity of the handling it in such a way and I also think the result is good, I personally really like the result.

Green / Cyan in the shadow seems to be a trait I am noticing about the film. But to be honest I am not looking at it at all right now as I have been doing quite a big job this week.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ronster said:

I am not trolling.

Look everything I watch Star wars on, It does not look like other films do.

If we go back to say bullitt for instance the actors and actresses don’t have red or overtly red faces in star wars they do. I could compare star wars to a lot of other films and when you compare star wars to other films it certainly looks to me that the problem is Star Wars not my monitor.

So when i hue shift in VLC it might be slight it might have to be a fair amount it makes it look more like a normal film. I am happy with the result of the shifting primarily to rid the film of the weid facial color and make it sjmilar to other films.

Star Wars stands out as having a color shift problem compared to other films in a quite serious way. It is’nt to say it does not happen in other films also as I have already stated but Star Wars has a pretty severe case of it and correcting for that makes it feel much more normal and not so strange.

I like the simplicity of the handling it in such a way and I also think the result is good, I personally really like the result.

Green / Cyan in the shadow seems to be a trait I am noticing about the film. But to be honest I am not looking at it at all right now as I have been doing quite a big job this week.

Yes, but the problem here is:

  1. Star Wars has many transfers, each with their own unique characteristics, and each of them not an accurate representation of how the film looked in cinemas. So, to state Star Wars in general has a hue shift problem is a rather bold claim.
  2. The VLC filter is about as crude as it gets. You attempt to fix one issue, and a dozen others pop up. Just adding more green to the film solely based skin tones, which can vary greatly from person to person is a mistake. Just because skin tones may be overly red, doesn’t mean all other tones are red shifted as well. In fact the opposite may be true, oranges may come out more red in a transfer, whilst yellows may become more green. A correction that just adds green will seemingly improve the skin tones, whilst worsening color shifts in other areas of the frame.
  3. Some of the issues you raise may have nothing to do with hue, but with contrast or saturation.
Author
Time

DrDre said:

Ronster said:

I am not trolling.

Look everything I watch Star wars on, It does not look like other films do.

If we go back to say bullitt for instance the actors and actresses don’t have red or overtly red faces in star wars they do. I could compare star wars to a lot of other films and when you compare star wars to other films it certainly looks to me that the problem is Star Wars not my monitor.

So when i hue shift in VLC it might be slight it might have to be a fair amount it makes it look more like a normal film. I am happy with the result of the shifting primarily to rid the film of the weid facial color and make it sjmilar to other films.

Star Wars stands out as having a color shift problem compared to other films in a quite serious way. It is’nt to say it does not happen in other films also as I have already stated but Star Wars has a pretty severe case of it and correcting for that makes it feel much more normal and not so strange.

I like the simplicity of the handling it in such a way and I also think the result is good, I personally really like the result.

Green / Cyan in the shadow seems to be a trait I am noticing about the film. But to be honest I am not looking at it at all right now as I have been doing quite a big job this week.

Yes, but the problem here is:

  1. Star Wars has many transfers, each with their own unique characteristics, and each of them not an accurate representation of how the film looked in cinemas. So, to state Star Wars in general has a hue shift problem is a rather bold claim.
  2. The VLC filter is about as crude as it gets. You attempt to fix one issue, and a dozen others pop up. Just adding more green to the film solely based skin tones, which can vary greatly from person to person is a mistake. Just because skin tones may be overly red, doesn’t mean all other tones are red shifted as well. In fact the opposite may be true, oranges may come out more red in a transfer, whilst yellows may become more green. A correction that just adds green will seemingly improve the skin tones, whilst worsening color shifts in other areas of the frame.
  3. Some of the issues you raise may have nothing to do with hue, but with contrast or saturation.
  1. You didn’t calibrate your monitor.
Author
Time
 (Edited)

DrDre said:

Ronster said:

I am not trolling.

Look everything I watch Star wars on, It does not look like other films do.

If we go back to say bullitt for instance the actors and actresses don’t have red or overtly red faces in star wars they do. I could compare star wars to a lot of other films and when you compare star wars to other films it certainly looks to me that the problem is Star Wars not my monitor.

So when i hue shift in VLC it might be slight it might have to be a fair amount it makes it look more like a normal film. I am happy with the result of the shifting primarily to rid the film of the weid facial color and make it sjmilar to other films.

Star Wars stands out as having a color shift problem compared to other films in a quite serious way. It is’nt to say it does not happen in other films also as I have already stated but Star Wars has a pretty severe case of it and correcting for that makes it feel much more normal and not so strange.

I like the simplicity of the handling it in such a way and I also think the result is good, I personally really like the result.

Green / Cyan in the shadow seems to be a trait I am noticing about the film. But to be honest I am not looking at it at all right now as I have been doing quite a big job this week.

Yes, but the problem here is:

  1. Star Wars has many transfers, each with their own unique characteristics, and each of them not an accurate representation of how the film looked in cinemas. So, to state Star Wars in general has a hue shift problem is a rather bold claim.
  2. The VLC filter is about as crude as it gets. You attempt to fix one issue, and a dozen others pop up. Just adding more green to the film solely based skin tones, which can vary greatly from person to person is a mistake. Just because skin tones may be overly red, doesn’t mean all other tones are red shifted as well. In fact the opposite may be true, oranges may come out more red in a transfer, whilst yellows may become more green. A correction that just adds green will seemingly improve the skin tones, whilst worsening color shifts in other areas of the frame.
  3. Some of the issues you raise may have nothing to do with hue, but with contrast or saturation.

I agree with you pretty much.

I do agree it is crude yes, at the endbof the day that will be the next part deciphering what is shifted and what is not.

the 4 rules I quoted earlier.

hue shift

Color change

hue shift and color change

treat as correct no change

so i will shift the lot where weird skin tones appear and make that assesment.

If you take for instance where the are going in the deathstar lift with chewie to the detention area. This feels like weird color to it but it’s not shifted I don’t think.

Author
Time

I applaud all of you for continuing to beat your heads against the wall try to help.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

Where’s that everything’s fine dog when you need him?

Here:

I noticed that the skin tone didn’t look natural on my phone, so I adjusted it with some free app I found.

Ceci n’est pas une signature.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Ah ah ah, I did the same thing at the same moment.

Frank’s correction is probably more accurate, because he didn’t calibrate his monitor.

Author
Time

Well yeah I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out wtf and why don’t this work properly.

why? My conclusion is a guess but if it works what the hell.

Author
Time

Ronster said:

Well yeah I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out wtf and why don’t this work properly.

why?

Maybe because you didn’t calibrate your monitor?

Author
Time

Ronster said:

Well yeah I beat my head against the wall trying to figure out wtf and why don’t this work properly.

Maybe if you listened to the advice of eight people telling you the exact same thing you wouldn’t be beating your head against the wall wondering what the problem is because we’ve all been telling you the problem the entire fucking time and you just won’t goddamn listen to anyone.

Also when I said “beating your heads against the wall,” I was talking to everyone else that’s trying to help you.

a trolling bantha

Author
Time

ZigZig said:

Ah ah ah, I did the same thing at the same moment.

Frank’s correction is probably more accurate, because he didn’t calibrate his monitor.

Frank your Majesty said:

TV’s Frink said:

Where’s that everything’s fine dog when you need him?

Here:

I noticed that the skin tone didn’t look natural on my phone, so I adjusted it with some free app I found.

I was going to say “those are gold, Jerry” but it might just be because I calibrated my monitor.

Episode I: The Ridiculous Menace / Episode II: Attack Of The Ridiculousness / Episode III: Revenge of the Ridiculousness

Author
Time

TV’s Frink said:

ZigZig said:

Ah ah ah, I did the same thing at the same moment.

Frank’s correction is probably more accurate, because he didn’t calibrate his monitor.

Frank your Majesty said:

TV’s Frink said:

Where’s that everything’s fine dog when you need him?

Here:

I noticed that the skin tone didn’t look natural on my phone, so I adjusted it with some free app I found.

I was going to say “those are gold, Jerry” but it might just be because I calibrated my monitor.

they both look blue to me

Author
Time

If you think Star Wars/A New Hope looks different from the other films, even in the home video transfers, you might want to consider that it is SUPPOSED to look different because of how it was made. It might be deliberate. But the red you are seeing is not something that seems any different in the GOUT transfer or the prveious transfers, or even the SE transfer. I only noticed a big difference with the DVD/HD/BR transfer and what I did to fix it was to color balance the RGB channels by pushing the yellow/blue channel to the yellow and the cyan/red channel to the cyan, leaving the magenta/green channel alone. All of my previous attempts involved messing with the magenta/green channel and none of them worked. That channel is the one least impacted by fading on film stock and is the one to balance the others too.

If you lack any other tool, pick up the 2004/2006 Star Wars dvd and in the special features is a THX tool for color correcting your screen. Use it. Pick of Star Trek II on Blu-ray. Watch it. Pay attention to the skin tones. I find some to be a bit yellow, but most are a nicely balanced. It is also a good movie to check out how ILM special effects transfers over on a non Star Wars film. Also check out American Graffiti on Blu-ray. Also by Lucas but no special effects and the film is in better condition. Neither one needs any color correction and they will help you judge if your work on Star Wars is off or on target. But for goodness sake, stop saying you don’t need to calibrate your monitor. You do. That is color correction step 1. If your monitor isn’t calibrated none of your work will turn out right. It will all be crap.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Dude, if you want to make this project just the color correction you think looks good on your screen, good on you. But if you’re going to name your thread “What is wrong and what is right” and treat it like objective preservationism, calibrate your god damn monitor!

What is the huge issue with calibrating your monitor?

Hot take: The Force Awakens is in no way, shape or form a rehash or remake of A New Hope.
It’s no more derivative than the average sequel, and is certainly less derivative than the prequels.

Author
Time

Here’s a new angle to the problem: why not calibrate your monitor? I know, it’s a controversial idea, especially amongst the people in this thread, but it’s definitely another option.

Author
Time

I don’t know if it’s been suggested so far in this thread but I heard from a friend of a friend’s mother’s mechanic’s son’s teacher’s husband’s neighbour’s son’s wife’s girlfriend’s swimming instructor that calibrating can help to garner more accurate looks for colour grading.

Author
Time

i wouldn’t calibrate your monitor, they are all trying to turn you into a mindless corporate drone. we should all be free to experience colors and gamma as we see fit (or unfit).

in fact, it would help if you would use your own personal spelling of words when posting. stupid common spelling conventions.

Author
Time

Xj éé’fj Slkjqé vndjz §lkq eéjé oi