Sign In

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4k UHD -- 27 DISC Boxed Set -- 3/31/2020 — Page 4

Author
Time

If that is the real list of the special features then i’m cancelling my pre-order of the saga set. And why the hell have they got “-Conversations: The Star Wars That Almost Was & -Discoveries from Inside: Holograms & Bloopers” on the Episode 3 bonus disc when those two features are Ep4 features? Disney have digitised everything in the archive and this is what we are going to get? Crap that we already have? And what’s the betting that the “making of” collection is just the crap laserdisc masters they used for the 2011 blu-ray set instead of newly scanned versions in HD? But i do find it strange that they have details for every disc apart from episode 9. Surely any release to the retailers would be for the full set and not just part.

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Everything about it is kinda suspect for now because it’s just scans (?) from the back of an international release, taken from a website most of us haven’t heard of before. But they’re images, which are harder to gin up than a simple list, so I guess they’re instinctively more believable. Although even on these images, the “list” seems pretty incomplete and as you just pointed out, possibly inaccurate

also, from a graphic design standpoint, that image is janky as hell. I know blu-ray and UHD cases aren’t particularly well designed or have a lot of effort or time put into them anymore, but for real that back cover looks like it was made in MS Paint.

Author
Time

Yeh, something doesn’t seem right about those covers. Why would they use the exact same front cover artwork as the Blu-Rays released late last year? Are the Blu-rays just going to be the same 2011 versions , while the 4k will have the new scans? When you take a look at the purchase options for the older digital versions, you can see that the special features for each film (conversations & discoveries features)are the same as what is listed for the features on each of the new discs. And making of a dewback is the feature for ep4 on the digital downloads too.

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time

I was kind of assuming or at least expecting the conference room extended dialogue for star wars on this set that was shown at celebration.

Just seems weird to show stuff then not include it.

Like new ghostbusters release will have extra deleted scenes they found some of them very good…

If they have it prepared and showed it at a live event Then why not include it?

Have to wait a bit but I probably wrong to assume anything.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

adywan said:

… Are the Blu-rays just going to be the same 2011 versions , while the 4k will have the new scans? When you take a look at the purchase options for the older digital versions, you can see that the special features for each film (conversations & discoveries features)are the same as what is listed for the features on each of the new discs. …

Oh crap - I didn’t realise that. Has it been officially confirmed whether or not the Blu-Ray set will use new (better) scans for at least the main films? I’m no fan of the SE, but I was looking forward to a decent release and upgrade of the 2011 poop.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

The Amazon UK listing now has more information available as to what makes up the forthcoming 27-disc 4K UHD ‘Skywalker Saga’ box set release:-

Unfortunately, the term ‘And much more…’ is used for every description of the each disc too…
 

Episode I: The Phantom Menace bonus disc (approx. 181 mins)

• “The Beginning” Feature-Length Documentary
• George Lucas On The Digital Revolution
• And much more…
 

Episode II: Attack of the Clones bonus disc (approx. 196 mins)

• “From Puppets To Pixels: Digital Characters In Episode II” Feature-Length Documentary
• State Of The Art: The Previsualization Of Episode II Documentary
• And much more…
 

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith bonus disc (approx. 327 mins)

• “Within A Minute: The Making Of Episode III” Feature-Length Documentary
• The Journey Part 1 & 2
• And much more…
 

Episode IV: A New Hope bonus disc (approx. 101 mins)

• Aboard The Death Star Overview
• Discoveries From Inside: Weapons & The First Lightsaber
• And much more…
 

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back bonus disc (approx. 125 mins)

• George Lucas On Editing The Empire Strikes Back 1979
• A Conversation With The Masters (2010)
• And much more…
 

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi bonus disc (approx. 163 mins)

• Conversations: The Effects
• Death Star II Space Battle Overview
• And much more…
 

Episode VII: The Force Awakens bonus disc (approx. 149 mins)

• Secrets Of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey
• Blueprint Of A Battle: The Snow Fight
• And much more…
 

Episode VIII: The Last Jedi bonus disc (approx. 165 mins)

• The Director and the Jedi
• Balance of the Force
• And much more…
 

Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker bonus disc (approx. 157 mins)

• The Skywalker Legacy
• Pasaana Pursuit: Creating The Speeder Chase
• And much more…

 

It now also has a release date of 20th April, 2020.
 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Limited-Complete/dp/B082WXCSKN - £200

more here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Limited-Complete/dp/B082WXCSKN

 
 

Images for the 18-disc blu ray set:-

more here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Complete-Blu-ray/dp/B082WXD4ZH - £65

 
 

Images for the 9-disc DVD set:-

more here - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Skywalker-Complete-Boxset/dp/B082WXXG7F - £45
 

originaltrilogy.com Moderator

Don’t give in to hate - that leads to the Dark Side…
 
Welcome | About | Help | How do I do this on the OT.com? | Announcements | General Assistance |
Site Timeline | Forum Rules | Fan Edit & Preservation Rules + FAQs | Signature Rules | MySpleen Info

Author
Time

Bluto said:

adywan said:

… Are the Blu-rays just going to be the same 2011 versions , while the 4k will have the new scans? When you take a look at the purchase options for the older digital versions, you can see that the special features for each film (conversations & discoveries features)are the same as what is listed for the features on each of the new discs. …

Oh crap - I didn’t realise that. Has it been officially confirmed whether or not the Blu-Ray set will use new (better) scans for at least the main films? I’m no fan of the SE, but I was looking forward to a decent release and upgrade of the 2011 poop.

It’s pretty sure they’ll be the new masters since the whole discs are made from scratch anyway now that they include the extras. There’s no reason to use the old ones.

And in the time of greatest despair, there shall come a savior, and he shall be known as the Son of the Suns.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

That flip-top box is pretty cool, honestly. A little more reminiscent of the original VHS Trilogy packaging from the mid-80s.

LOL at Episode IV getting the smallest bonus disc possible.

Author
Time

https://www.starwars.com/the-rise-of-skywalker

The Rise Of Skywalker on Blu Ray / UHD March 31st, next month!

Mention that here, because on StarWars.com the Saga box set is on the same page, presumably also March 31st.

Amazon still has both releases down as April 20th, so that seems like it needs updating and we’ll be getting the home releases sooner rather than later.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Apparently the bonus features here clock in the same as the ones included in the digital collection versions. So the only thing new here are the films in 4K (though really even that isn’t new considering they’ve been on Disney+ for months).

Gonna be a no for me.

Author
Time

DominicCobb said:

Apparently the bonus features here clock in the same as the ones included in the digital collection versions. So the only thing new here are the films in 4K (though really even that isn’t new considering they’ve been on Disney+ for months).

Gonna be a no for me.

Same here. First time I’ve ever NOT bought these movies on a new format. What an incredible f*** up.

Author
Time

Was at least hoping for some new OT deleted scenes or something. There’s so much material they could release. Would be awesome to see anything new. But nope. That’s Disney for you.

Author
Time

digitalfreaknyc said:

DominicCobb said:

Apparently the bonus features here clock in the same as the ones included in the digital collection versions. So the only thing new here are the films in 4K (though really even that isn’t new considering they’ve been on Disney+ for months).

Gonna be a no for me.

Same here. First time I’ve ever NOT bought these movies on a new format. What an incredible f*** up.

I said no in 2011 without hesitation, I will say no again in 2020 without hesitation.

Author
Time

crissrudd4554 said:

digitalfreaknyc said:

DominicCobb said:

Apparently the bonus features here clock in the same as the ones included in the digital collection versions. So the only thing new here are the films in 4K (though really even that isn’t new considering they’ve been on Disney+ for months).

Gonna be a no for me.

Same here. First time I’ve ever NOT bought these movies on a new format. What an incredible f*** up.

I said no in 2011 without hesitation, I will say no again in 2020 without hesitation.

The only reason I got that set is because of the deleted scenes. Now there’s no reason.

Author
Time

digitalfreaknyc said:

crissrudd4554 said:

digitalfreaknyc said:

DominicCobb said:

Apparently the bonus features here clock in the same as the ones included in the digital collection versions. So the only thing new here are the films in 4K (though really even that isn’t new considering they’ve been on Disney+ for months).

Gonna be a no for me.

Same here. First time I’ve ever NOT bought these movies on a new format. What an incredible f*** up.

I said no in 2011 without hesitation, I will say no again in 2020 without hesitation.

The only reason I got that set is because of the deleted scenes. Now there’s no reason.

Literally the only thing I can hope for is the DVD PT deleted scenes having a higher bitrate to help with improving upscaling attempts. Even then I doubt it.

I will have to purchase ROTJ 4K at some point if I want to watch ROTJ:R when Adywan is finished with it; I’ll consider the rest when there is a serious pricing drop.

Like Ady said earlier we got a couple tasty morsels of ANH content when Rogue One came out. Logically, if everything in the Lucasfilm Archives has been scanned we should at least get an expansive set of behind the scenes footage of ANH and the rest of the OT in HD, yet ANH (you know, the landmark Oscar winning film that started it all) seems to have the least bonus content of the saga films. Such a shame.

Author
Time

Now seeing the listings for the special features on Amazon, it’s even worse than i feared. So most of the special features for the PT & OT will be in Standard def and it’s all what we have already got before. When Disney digitised the archive they uncovered a lot of great stuff, showing snippets on reels at celebration etc. But this is what they are giving us?

ANH:REVISITED
ESB:REVISITED

DONATIONS TOWARDS MATERIALS FOR THE REVISITED SAGA

Author
Time

adywan said:

Now seeing the listings for the special features on Amazon, it’s even worse than i feared. So most of the special features for the PT & OT will be in Standard def and it’s all what we have already got before. When Disney digitised the archive they uncovered a lot of great stuff, showing snippets on reels at celebration etc. But this is what they are giving us?

I always said that theoretical “huge boxed set with the kitchen sink” was a huge lie.

Author
Time

I have a feeling there will be another boxed set that will include Rogue One and Solo. I’ll just buy the Original Trilogy separately for now and wait for the next hope.

Author
Time

Rodney-2187 said:

I have a feeling there will be another boxed set that will include Rogue One and Solo. I’ll just buy the Original Trilogy separately for now and wait for the next hope.

Never. Gonna. Happen.

Author
Time

This set looks lacklustre. Very little effort put into this. Easy pass.

I doubt DISNEY will do much for the 50th anniversary.

Author
Time

Why do people pre-order in the first place? Stupid.

Slavicuss said:

This set looks lacklustre. Very little effort put into this. Easy pass.

I doubt DISNEY will do much for the 50th anniversary.

Well, they didn’t do anything for the 40th, so why would they? 😛