Sign In

Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga 4k UHD -- 27 DISC Boxed Set -- 3/31/2020 — Page 20

Author
Time

J0E said:

I WAS thinking about buying the individual 4k releases of the Original Trilogy just to check out the “new” transfer. From everything I can gather, these don’t have Dolby Vision. Isn’t Dolby Vision the standard for true HDR color/contrast interpretation on 4k OLED displays? We get the higher resolution but we don’t get the true HDR color range with these discs?

Send help.

Disney Hasn’t released/ re-release tiles with Dolby Vision on Disc for a while. They do have standard HDR10. The only way to get DV is either stream their titles or Download them using the Included Digital code or D+.

One day we will have properly restored versions of the Original Unaltered Trilogy (OUT); or 1977, 1980, 1983 Theatrical released versions; including Prequels. So that future generations can enjoy these historic films that changed cinema forever.

Yoda: Try not, do or do not, there is no try.

Author
Time

pat man said:

J0E said:

I WAS thinking about buying the individual 4k releases of the Original Trilogy just to check out the “new” transfer. From everything I can gather, these don’t have Dolby Vision. Isn’t Dolby Vision the standard for true HDR color/contrast interpretation on 4k OLED displays? We get the higher resolution but we don’t get the true HDR color range with these discs?

Send help.

Disney Hasn’t released/ re-release tiles with Dolby Vision on Disc for a while. They do have standard HDR10. The only way to get DV is either stream their titles or Download them using the Included Digital code or D+.

Well that’s disappointing.

Luke astro-projects himself to Salt Lake Planet, gets shot at by gorilla walkers, has a non-lightsaber duel with Darth Millennial, then dies of a broken heart, inspiring broom boys throughout the galaxy to get creative with their sweeping. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time
 (Edited)

J0E said:

I WAS thinking about buying the individual 4k releases of the Original Trilogy just to check out the “new” transfer. From everything I can gather, these don’t have Dolby Vision. Isn’t Dolby Vision the standard for true HDR color/contrast interpretation on 4k OLED displays? We get the higher resolution but we don’t get the true HDR color range with these discs?

Send help.

HDR10 has the exact same HDR color range as Dolby Vision. The difference is that Dolby Vision’s tonemapping is created by the colorists/filmmakers rather than automatically created by the TV. This means if you have a very high quality, expensive OLED TV, then Dolby Vision and HDR10 should theoretically look exactly the same. The problem with HDR10 arises when it’s viewed on cheap HDR TVs that aren’t capable of producing the full color gamut (or close to the full gamut), so the TV’s automatic — and very crappy — tonemapping kicks in to remap the color gamut to fit the display.

So yes, Dolby Vision is superior. But HDR10 isn’t bad — What makes HDR10 look bad is a bad TV.

Also, the Dolby Vision standard is capable of 12-bit color, which is of course capable of producing a wider range of colors than the 10-bit color maximum of HDR10. But the vast majority of Dolby Vision content right now is only 10-bit anyway.

I agree that it’s really dumb Disney has neglected Dolby Vision on physical media. But HDR10 is still hood, and the digital codes will give you the Dolby Vision versions if by chance your TV doesn’t bode well with HDR10.

Author
Time

J0E said:

pat man said:

J0E said:

I WAS thinking about buying the individual 4k releases of the Original Trilogy just to check out the “new” transfer. From everything I can gather, these don’t have Dolby Vision. Isn’t Dolby Vision the standard for true HDR color/contrast interpretation on 4k OLED displays? We get the higher resolution but we don’t get the true HDR color range with these discs?

Send help.

Disney Hasn’t released/ re-release tiles with Dolby Vision on Disc for a while. They do have standard HDR10. The only way to get DV is either stream their titles or Download them using the Included Digital code or D+.

Well that’s disappointing.

Yeah, I believe the last Dolby Vision physical release from Disney was The Last Jedi. However, the new 2019 disc of The Last Jedi doesn’t have Dolby Vision anymore… It’s only on the original release. Pretty lame. I wish they’d bring back Dolby Vision to their physical releases.

But at the same time, I’m at least glad Disney’s a huge deliverer of Dolby Vision on Disney+. That makes me happy.

Author
Time

44rh1n said:

J0E said:

pat man said:

J0E said:

I WAS thinking about buying the individual 4k releases of the Original Trilogy just to check out the “new” transfer. From everything I can gather, these don’t have Dolby Vision. Isn’t Dolby Vision the standard for true HDR color/contrast interpretation on 4k OLED displays? We get the higher resolution but we don’t get the true HDR color range with these discs?

Send help.

Disney Hasn’t released/ re-release tiles with Dolby Vision on Disc for a while. They do have standard HDR10. The only way to get DV is either stream their titles or Download them using the Included Digital code or D+.

Well that’s disappointing.

Yeah, I believe the last Dolby Vision physical release from Disney was The Last Jedi. However, the new 2019 disc of The Last Jedi doesn’t have Dolby Vision anymore… It’s only on the original release. Pretty lame. I wish they’d bring back Dolby Vision to their physical releases.

But at the same time, I’m at least glad Disney’s a huge deliverer of Dolby Vision on Disney+. That makes me happy.

Oh okay. I’ll pick them up then. I have a decent OLED display so that’s no biggie. The Covid bucks covered that. Financial irresponsibility amirite my dude? Sorry about my ignorance, I’m just dipping my toe into 4k.

The digital/streaming versions of DV don’t matter much to me because of the compression. The benefits of DV would be bottle-necked by the lower bitrate of streaming. I’m sure it helps bring them closer to the quality of a physical release. Yo thanks.

Luke astro-projects himself to Salt Lake Planet, gets shot at by gorilla walkers, has a non-lightsaber duel with Darth Millennial, then dies of a broken heart, inspiring broom boys throughout the galaxy to get creative with their sweeping. - DuracellEnergizer

Author
Time

I just watched some of the first movie and I don’t like it. Not much else to say, it was the standard HD version not 4K but it looks way too cold (despite possibly more detailed than I’ve seen before).

Yub Nub for life

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mocata said:

I just watched some of the first movie and I don’t like it. Not much else to say, it was the standard HD version not 4K but it looks way too cold (despite possibly more detailed than I’ve seen before).

The HDR is the best I’ve seen Star Wars look (at home). Worth upgrading (if necessary) in my opinion. I’d say that about most movies though. The HDR is a much more significant improvement than the increase to 4K resolution.

Author
Time

As much as I can complain about these new transfers for the OT compared to other classics restored to 4K, they’re still a marked improvement over previous sources. Excluding the DNR and SE changes, they’re the best I’ve ever seen these look. I decided to watch despecialized and revisited again, and it’s just hard to go back to such an inferior source even if these have been my definitive ways to view the trilogy them up until now. Even 4K77 and 4K83 look better than the 2011 Blurays, even if they are a little soft.

Author
Time

Just wanted to say that Zavvi in the UK now have pre-orders open again for the OT 4K steelbooks. Right now (Thursday morning) orders are only open for ‘Red Carpet’ members but if there are any discs left, they will probably open orders on the main site later today or tomorrow. Unfortunately the Empire disc still shows the teaser poster image of Darth Vader as the cover art, which breaks the flow with the images for ANH and ROTJ.

“If it ain’t workin’, eat sugar.”