Sign In

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Redux Ideas thread — Page 90

Author
Time

Amazing again jonh.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time

@Jonh would it be alright if I use that clip as part of a rough mockup I have of how Kylo’s turn to the dark side could be reworked in episode 8? That is some great work. It looks seriously legit.

I have a mockup where i am trying to visually imply that Kylo happens upon vader’s mask (not knowing that Vader is his grandfather,) and that he has a moment with Vader’s mask that parallels the calling of Rey. I also used a bit of a SW theory video (kylo on Mustafar) super rough and no sound, but might be cool.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Very nice work showing Luke in the World Between Worlds. That shot might work inserted quickly in the montage of Rey’s flashes during the opening of the movie when Kylo is reaching out to her.

Also, the ghost scene is just spectacular. If that had been in the movie, audiences would have went WILD and it likely would’ve even helped win over some who haven’t been fans of the sequel trilogy.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

This is unlikely, but I wonder if it’s possible to manipulate the shot of the TIE Whisper and the Night Buzzard approaching the Steadfast to instead be them approaching Coruscant; combine that with a high-Res version of the ai-generated Coruscant Dolly Shot, and you could make the FO meeting take place on Coruscant, which would be rad.

I had also had some thoughts, re: Mustafar; first, if somebody wanted to try their hand at rendering a Vader’s Castle approach shot, I imagine that a rip of the models/assets from Vader: Immortal would be extremely helpful here.

Second off: I wonder what the feasibility of adding of the statues from Vader: Immortal to the bog on Mustafar would be, because it IS supposed to be sacred to her/her followers. Here’s some concept art of the statues, though a model would almost certainly be able to be pulled from the Immortal filesystem.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-znJKMA6k-/

Third, and this is less directly related to Mustafar, but I wonder if there’s a way to restructure the scenes to imply that the ‘helmet reconstruction’ scene is taking place on Exegol.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah Coruscant is a must have, I like the idea of kylo rebuilding the helmet in Vader’s castle. Perhaps the red material he uses to fuse the helmet is from one of the lava rivers.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

I’m split on the subject, because I think that if we had the Eye of Webbish Bog scene and a solid establishing shot, then yes, I’d want it to be there, because we’d have more visible Sith cult shit happening on Mustafar. But, as it stands, it feels like the better place is Exegol, where we’ve got actual Sith cultists.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

omnimuffin said:

I’m split on the subject, because I think that if we had the Eye of Webbish Bog scene and a solid establishing shot, then yes, I’d want it to be there, because we’d have more visible Sith cult shit happening on Mustafar. But, as it stands, it feels like the better place is Exegol, where we’ve got actual Sith cultists.

Hmm yeah I see what you mean, it’s probably cleaner to cut directly to the broken pieces after Palpatine and Kylo’s convo, implying that he’s still on Exogol.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Alternatively, since the novelization actually places that scene aboard the Night Buzzard, with the ape-man being part of its crew, adding in an establishing shot of the Night Buzzard could be helpful in making it clear what location this actually taking place in.

Author
Time

omnimuffin said:

I had also had some thoughts, re: Mustafar; first, if somebody wanted to try their hand at rendering a Vader’s Castle approach shot, I imagine that a rip of the models/assets from Vader: Immortal would be extremely helpful here.

Second off: I wonder what the feasibility of adding of the statues from Vader: Immortal to the bog on Mustafar would be, because it IS supposed to be sacred to her/her followers. Here’s some concept art of the statues, though a model would almost certainly be able to be pulled from the Immortal filesystem.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B-znJKMA6k-/

Third, and this is less directly related to Mustafar, but I wonder if there’s a way to restructure the scenes to imply that the ‘helmet reconstruction’ scene is taking place on Exegol.

The Mustafar suggestions are great, and if there is someone with the time, knowledge, and wherewithal to create actual establishing shots of Mustafar for the beginning of the movie, that’d be the only real way to save that opening “Mustafar Minute.” The open really only works one of two ways:

  1. tilt down - cut Mustafar ENTIRELY - and start with Kylo jumping into frame in front of the nebula.

or

  1. tilt down - follow Kylo’s shuttle and fighters into Mustafar’s atmosphere, cut to those ships landing, cut to an establishing shot showing where they’re landing and where they’re trying to go (Vader’s Castle) in the same frame. Then you can cut to Kylo fighting pretty easily.

The second one makes Mustafar Minute comprehensible and useful to the story, but it necessitates a lot of elements that don’t exist in the film (or don’t exist at all right now).

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Yeah good idea. Another alternative would be to separate Mustafar and the location of the opening massacre into different planets. That way you could imply that Vader’s castle is now a lair for Kylo and his knights. You could have an establishing shot of Vader’s castle before reconstructing the helmet.
Anyway are so many ways to go about this, and everything else in the film.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Mustafar Minute could be prefaced with Kylo consulting Vader’s mask, which tells him where to locate the wayfinder. This would need some repurposed Vader audio, but I feel like that would be easier than fabricating a bunch of new shots.

As a bonus, if the Vader audio seems ‘off’ it could be foreshadowing of Palp’s reveal of being behind it all.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I couldn’t find anywhere in the films or extra material where Vader says “Mustafar”, anyone know of such an instance somewhere?

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Okay, hopefully my latest idea will garner better reactions from you guys.

Fanedit Forums user Gaith suggested that the film open with a funeral for Princess Leia before the opening crawl. This quote comes from the official thread for the movie:

Lucasfilm logo. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”
SMASH CUT to a silent (with music) funeral scene. As with Glee and Cory Monteith, we all know why the character’s gone, so there’s really no need to explain it in-universe. (Canon sources elsewhere could officially designate it space cancer or whatever, but my idea lets the funeral be a tribute to Fisher as much as possible, just as the ending to Furious 7 was obviously for Paul Walker, rather than for Brian O’Conner.) Fade out.
STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie.
In short, Fisher’s passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of “A long time ago”, STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken. I get that most don’t enthusiastically love Thor: The Dark World as I do, but I think the two-minute dialogue-free Frigga funeral is a freakin’ fantastic scene that would make an excellent model.

A very unique idea that unfortunately wasn’t implemented in the film itself.

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time

CamSMurph said:

Okay, hopefully my latest idea will garner better reactions from you guys.

Fanedit Forums user Gaith suggested that the film open with a funeral for Princess Leia before the opening crawl. This quote comes from the official thread for the movie:

Lucasfilm logo. “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…”
SMASH CUT to a silent (with music) funeral scene. As with Glee and Cory Monteith, we all know why the character’s gone, so there’s really no need to explain it in-universe. (Canon sources elsewhere could officially designate it space cancer or whatever, but my idea lets the funeral be a tribute to Fisher as much as possible, just as the ending to Furious 7 was obviously for Paul Walker, rather than for Brian O’Conner.) Fade out.
STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie.
In short, Fisher’s passing would be so significant that it would be the only time the Episode format of “A long time ago”, STAR WARS title fanfare, crawl, movie would ever be broken. I get that most don’t enthusiastically love Thor: The Dark World as I do, but I think the two-minute dialogue-free Frigga funeral is a freakin’ fantastic scene that would make an excellent model.

A very unique idea that unfortunately wasn’t implemented in the film itself.

Interesting idea, but no way it could be executed in the movie itself. This probably would go better in the rewrite thread.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time

The biggest plus to that idea is a conceptual one: It imagines a behind-the-scenes consideration of the film’s story that was, so far as anyone can tell, never even considered.

Adding that to this movie is a good idea, but it’s a good idea that I don’t think can be applied to the film as it is. It needed to be applied to the film before it was written.

Author
Time

I was always confused as to why they made it Mustafar at all. Since it wasn’t commented on in the story, i.e. to make a point about Sith corruption or Vader’s redemption, the detail seems pointless. Another strange planet would’ve been just fine.

Author
Time

I have always been on the side of removing the Mustafar sequence

But the idea of moving the Vader helmet scene during the opening, it could sell the idea to me for keeping it. Plus … even plot wise it makes more sense especially since Kylo went to the helmet AFTER is contact with Palps … so why consult his “grandfathers” guidance knowing its not him with it being Palps behind it? Didn’t make sense.

The other benefit of it being moved is it frees things up with Rey and her “dark” version … which the audience member could connect that since Palp has “revealed” himself she is getting this vision or whatever … kinda like the flood gates have opened or something.

Anyway, I am liking this idea of moving that footage to earlier. I may play around with it myself.

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

I really like the way DominicCobb moved that sequence to just before Kylo reforges his helmet along with the new vision sequence he created. I wonder if there would be anyway to retain the benefits of his approach while also fixing the apparent continuity issue of him consulting the helmet after he realizes Palpatine is behind Vader “speaking to him”.

Author
Time

I think the Mustafar Minute could be set up by moving the Vader helmet scene to the very end of TLJ.
Kylo had just been tricked by Luke’s force projection, the Resistance escaped, and Rey shut the door of the Falcon on him, so he goes to Vader’s mask for some guidance - which is something he’s been doing since TFA.
When he touches the mask he sees Mustafar (use RO footage or other lava related footage), a brief snippet of a wayfinder and Exegol, throw in a Vader “join me” and a Palps “you will go to the Mustafar system” voiceover,and end the movie.

Author
Time

I get the vibe that the fact it was Mustafar was from a previous script version. It likely DID play into a script where the cleaner air emphasized the lack of Sith corruption.

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

Clavis said:

krausfadr said:

ClownBaby said:

Reading through this thread and looking over the results of the TROS poll got me thinking about the idea of having Rey be responsible for her parents death. I know that keeping Rey as Palps granddaughter is a less popular option than Rey Nobody, but if an editor were to have Rey kill her parents I think the Rey Palpatine angle works.

This way we keep Rey’s parents as good people who were doing all they could to protect their daughter, and in a fit of uncontrolled childhood rage, she causes their death. When she accepts the truth of this it would serve to compound the feelings of inner conflict and fear she has regarding her own power

They sold you to him: https://streamable.com/6042d7
You wanted your parents dead: https://streamable.com/lmidv9
I killed my mother: https://streamable.com/ot407g

That’s seamless. Great work!

Clavis how’s that Achto sequence coming along? Curious to see what you’ve been up to with that.

I was experimenting with it last night. I am working with Luke building his lightsaber in a deleted scene of ROTJ, and Rey lifting the lightsaber in the hut from the end of The Last Jedi BTS reel from D23 2017, to create a scene of Rey constructing her lightsaber.

Author
Time

ClownBaby said:

I think the Mustafar Minute could be set up by moving the Vader helmet scene to the very end of TLJ.
Kylo had just been tricked by Luke’s force projection, the Resistance escaped, and Rey shut the door of the Falcon on him, so he goes to Vader’s mask for some guidance - which is something he’s been doing since TFA.
When he touches the mask he sees Mustafar (use RO footage or other lava related footage), a brief snippet of a wayfinder and Exegol, throw in a Vader “join me” and a Palps “you will go to the Mustafar system” voiceover,and end the movie.

I remember reading that Mustafar’s background shots in ROTS were actual lava footage from Mount Etna. Surely there are some documentaries online which can be used, is one wants to be “spiritually cohesive”.

Italian faneditor.

EDITS LIST:
CHOSEN ONE - A STAR WARS STORY (3-in-1 prequels).
Personal saga: I - SHADOW OF THE PAST. II - KEEPERS OF THE PEACE. III - RISE OF THE DARK SIDE. IV - THE SON OF SKYWALKER. VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI.
Just look for them in the forum, and PM me for links if interested.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Clavis said:

idir_hh said:

Clavis said:

krausfadr said:

ClownBaby said:

Reading through this thread and looking over the results of the TROS poll got me thinking about the idea of having Rey be responsible for her parents death. I know that keeping Rey as Palps granddaughter is a less popular option than Rey Nobody, but if an editor were to have Rey kill her parents I think the Rey Palpatine angle works.

This way we keep Rey’s parents as good people who were doing all they could to protect their daughter, and in a fit of uncontrolled childhood rage, she causes their death. When she accepts the truth of this it would serve to compound the feelings of inner conflict and fear she has regarding her own power

They sold you to him: https://streamable.com/6042d7
You wanted your parents dead: https://streamable.com/lmidv9
I killed my mother: https://streamable.com/ot407g

That’s seamless. Great work!

Clavis how’s that Achto sequence coming along? Curious to see what you’ve been up to with that.

I was experimenting with it last night. I am working with Luke building his lightsaber in a deleted scene of ROTJ, and Rey lifting the lightsaber in the hut from the end of The Last Jedi BTS reel from D23 2017, to create a scene of Rey constructing her lightsaber.

Ooh nice, sounds like it could work pretty well. I always wondered what this shot was about. https://youtu.be/ye6GCY_vqYk

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Octorox said:

I really like the way DominicCobb moved that sequence to just before Kylo reforges his helmet along with the new vision sequence he created. I wonder if there would be anyway to retain the benefits of his approach while also fixing the apparent continuity issue of him consulting the helmet after he realizes Palpatine is behind Vader “speaking to him”.

I liked what he did since it was a better motivation-tool scene for him to reconstruct his helmet out of no where.

However, it still would seem “off” that he would still consult with Vader’s helmet knowing its been palps the whole time …

Granted, it is an improvement since it at least gives some reasoning for him repairing his helmet to go back to being a ‘monster’ but still leaves the issue in the air “why are you consulting with that thing still, its been Palps manipulating you the whole time. Why?!”

Ideally I would like that consulting scene prior to palps.

Or someone seamlessly put on his helmet during the whole Mustafar scenes and meeting with palps. That’s no problem right? 😉

Do NOT self-destruct!