Sign In

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker Redux Ideas thread — Page 89

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

F canon this is the ending we deserved: https://youtu.be/DH9ZkDOxnqk

I don’t know. I’m a bigger Anakin fan than many, but I think this would’ve been absurd. Why spend two and a half movies building up two compelling new Force-using characters, Rey and Ben, and developing their dynamic together, only to sideline them in favour of the same dude who killed Palpatine last time? I would’ve liked Anakin to have had a slightly greater presence in the movie (rather than getting the same size role as Luminara Unduli), but I think anything more than
the support role he gets alongside the other ghosts in jonh’s edit would have robbed Rey and Ben of their moment. Besides, to a certain extent, the ST is about the two parts of his legacy: Kylo idolises Vader; Rey is trained by Anakin’s children.

Author
Time

sade1212 said:

I don’t know. I’m a bigger Anakin fan than many, but I think this would’ve been absurd. Why spend two and a half movies building up two compelling new Force-using characters, Rey and Ben, and developing their dynamic together, only to sideline them in favour of the same dude who killed Palpatine last time? I would’ve liked Anakin to have had a slightly greater presence in the movie (rather than getting the same size role as Luminara Unduli), but I think anything more than
the support role he gets alongside the other ghosts in jonh’s edit would have robbed Rey and Ben of their moment. Besides, to a certain extent, the ST is about the two parts of his legacy: Kylo idolises Vader; Rey is trained by Anakin’s children.

I agree, but I don’t think Idir was being serious! 😄

REY NOBODY - The ‘Official’ Fan-Editing Thread
SOLO - A Colour Corrected Star Wars Story
Helping Hal 9000 and tackling many projects myself so PM me with your fan-editing questions!
(My homeworld is Australia so be wary of timezones)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Chase Adams said:

sade1212 said:

I don’t know. I’m a bigger Anakin fan than many, but I think this would’ve been absurd. Why spend two and a half movies building up two compelling new Force-using characters, Rey and Ben, and developing their dynamic together, only to sideline them in favour of the same dude who killed Palpatine last time? I would’ve liked Anakin to have had a slightly greater presence in the movie (rather than getting the same size role as Luminara Unduli), but I think anything more than
the support role he gets alongside the other ghosts in jonh’s edit would have robbed Rey and Ben of their moment. Besides, to a certain extent, the ST is about the two parts of his legacy: Kylo idolises Vader; Rey is trained by Anakin’s children.

I agree, but I don’t think Idir was being serious!

😉

jonh said:

luke learning how to interfere
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dq0XbFionsRJbU164SvFESR9YAYDSjAQ

Fascinating. What if we had a scene like this during the “be with me” scene showing the relevant ghosts legs crossed as they speak, so when Obi speaks we cut to him on the circle, when Anakin speaks we cut to him on the circle etc etc.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

Chase Adams said:

I agree, but I don’t think Idir was being serious! 😄

Whoops. I guess I’ve seen too many people on reddit unironically saying things like that.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

idir_hh said:

Chase Adams said:

sade1212 said:

I don’t know. I’m a bigger Anakin fan than many, but I think this would’ve been absurd. Why spend two and a half movies building up two compelling new Force-using characters, Rey and Ben, and developing their dynamic together, only to sideline them in favour of the same dude who killed Palpatine last time? I would’ve liked Anakin to have had a slightly greater presence in the movie (rather than getting the same size role as Luminara Unduli), but I think anything more than
the support role he gets alongside the other ghosts in jonh’s edit would have robbed Rey and Ben of their moment. Besides, to a certain extent, the ST is about the two parts of his legacy: Kylo idolises Vader; Rey is trained by Anakin’s children.

I agree, but I don’t think Idir was being serious!

😉

jonh said:

luke learning how to interfere
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Dq0XbFionsRJbU164SvFESR9YAYDSjAQ

Fascinating. What if we had a scene like this during the “be with me” scene showing the relevant ghosts legs crossed as they speak, so when Obi speaks we cut to him on the circle, when Anakin speaks we cut to him on the circle etc etc.

talking is impossible without reusing material, and would not be convincing.

this scene that i propose, would be located maybe 10 minutes before the force ghost … luke learning and calling the other jedi

In addition, showing them in the battle against Palpatine has more impact.

Author
Time

Yeah you’re probably right.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time
 (Edited)

At the very least it show’s just how the film was cuts to shreds in post and slapped together in an almost DIY fashion.

Peace is a lie
There is only passion…

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

Continuity error with Rey and the saber.
https://i.redd.it/0eju4uoy3jy41.jpg

Obviously Leia and Ben are connected … so Leia is part of their special force connection … so it kept transferring back and forth!

I’ll see myself out…

Do NOT self-destruct!

Author
Time

specialk2121 said:

NeverarGreat said:

idir_hh said:

Continuity error with Rey and the saber.
https://i.redd.it/0eju4uoy3jy41.jpg

This has ruined the movie for me.

Really? To me this is no different than Luke leaving the Death Star without his lightsaber and somehow magically having it on Endor to celebrate.

It was sarcasm.

What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. Come, lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy.
Episode 9 Rewrite THE SHATTERED SWORD (Complete!)
The Force Awakens Restructured (V3 Released!) and The Starlight Project (WORKPRINT RELEASED!)

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

At the very least it show’s just how the film was cuts to shreds in post and slapped together in an almost DIY fashion.

The movie does feel like it’s already a fanedit - and not in a flattering sense!

Author
Time

idir_hh said:

Continuity error with Rey and the saber.
https://i.redd.it/0eju4uoy3jy41.jpg

This is why I think cutting the back and forth with the saber, along with Rey’s line about earning it, makes sense. She’s been using the lightsaber for a movie and a half already, I never got why suddenly she had to earn it. If I remember correctly in the novelization she even toyed around with building her own saber while rebuilding Anakin’s, the fact that she settled on just using the rebuilt Skywalker saber implies it is her own saber she feels unworthy of, not the legacy one.

PT: CoD/TAS/TCW/FotR(NCC)
OT: Reimagined/Revisited/…
ST: Starlight/Rekindled/Resurgence

Author
Time

It’s probably because they had some footage of takes of Leia handing and being handed the saber.

Initiating self-destruct countdown…

Author
Time

I wouldn’t be so sure, I mean they wouldn’t actually need footage of Carrie for any of those shots.

Author
Time

Believe it or not, the Nostalgia Critic’s review of the film brings up a very interesting idea: there’s one point near the end of the video where the Mandalorian says, “Oh, I see. Because bloodlines don’t matter. She’s going to say her name is Palpatine, turning that evil name into something strong and hopeful.”

Yay or nay?

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

If bloodlines don’t matter, why would she keep a name that she has never gone by in the past and carries exclusively negative connotations for her? Why would Rey care if the “Palpatine name” is redeemed into something hopeful? What about that particular word is worth saving?

I think Rey keeping the Palpatine name is the worst possible outcome, and needlessly confusing to the audience from a thematic point of view. A good chunk of the audience has equated “Palpatine” to “evil” for longer than Rey has even been alive, and for her to suddenly accept the name after the whole climax revolved around her rejecting Sheev makes it appear as if she suddenly has some sort of reverence for him, which she absolutely does not.

Rey’s rejection of the Palpatine name is “because bloodlines don’t matter,” a symbolic rejection of the destiny of her blood and her personal choice to embrace another path. If she’s “Just Rey” (as some fans are trying to edit), then she’s forging her own destiny, and if she’s “Rey Skywalker,” then she’s taking up a name that does deserve to be kept in the light (and with Luke/Leia’s postmortem approval, no less). Either option makes more sense both thematically and in-character than “Rey Palpatine.”

And before anyone points out that Luke kept the Skywalker name: “Skywalker” was originally the name of a Jedi whose goodness Luke still sensed buried within Vader and which Luke managed to bring out before Vader’s death, not to mention Luke had already been named “Skywalker” his entire life. Rey taking the name “Palpatine” would be equivalent to Luke changing his last name to “Vader,” because evil is all that name has ever meant to them.

Author
Time

CamSMurph said:

Believe it or not, the Nostalgia Critic’s review of the film brings up a very interesting idea.

I’m actually shocked he said something worthwhile about anything.

There’s one point near the end of the video where the Mandalorian says, “Oh, I see. Because bloodlines don’t matter. She’s going to say her name is Palpatine, turning that evil name into something strong and hopeful.”

Yay or nay?

Definitely nay. Given how the Senate reacted when they found out Leia was the daughter of Darth Vader, if Rey started calling herself a Palpatine she would be executed on the spot.

My preferred saga experience:
ANH (4K77), ESB (Harmy), ROTJ (4K83).
Everything else is optional.

Author
Time
 (Edited)

I can see you’re responding resoundingly in the negative. Who can blame you? The video never goes into detail on that incentive.

sigh I’ll show myself out.

“The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.”
-Sheev Palpatine, Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith (2005)

Author
Time
 (Edited)

Sorry, I was trying to be thorough in explaining my thoughts, but that came across pretty aggressively.

If you want to have Rey take the name in an edit, by all means go ahead. I just personally don’t think it fits as well as what we have.

StarkillerAG said:

Definitely nay. Given how the Senate reacted when they found out Leia was the daughter of Darth Vader, if Rey started calling herself a Palpatine she would be executed on the spot.

Also this. Leia’s public association with Vader ruined her career and public influence. Taking on the Palpatine name would be… unwise of Rey.

Author
Time

CamSMurph said:

I can see you’re responding resoundingly in the negative. Who can blame you? The video never goes into detail on that incentive.

sigh I’ll show myself out.

I still have flashbacks to Doug’s video on The Wall, where he misses the point of the album/movie so severely that it’s depressing (because holy crap, that album/movie’s themes apply to him so well).